Old 02-01-2024, 04:16 PM   #4453
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Ok, I'm dead.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 04:20 PM   #4454
RainMaker
General Manager

Really well done. Patrick Stewart is the best.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 09:50 PM   #4455
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
So, I started watching The Bear, binged it, and oh boy do I get the hype now. That's a fantastic show, even more so if you're from Chicago, love food, and/or both.

last scene with the voicemail was....rough.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:22 PM   #4456
GrantDawg

I'm doing a binge of "The Morning Show" right now. Has there ever been a dramatic show that had as many comedy actors as this show? Most of the main cast and almost every guest are better known for their comedy roles than as dramatic actors. And they do a terrific job.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2024, 07:12 PM   #4457
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Maybe it's just me, but I turned on The Greatest Night in Pop with no expectations, but damn was it enjoyable. Plus, knowing that Stevie Wonder was basically Bob Dylan's teddy bear is just so sweet
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 02:29 PM   #4458
Edward64
Head Coach

Finished True Detective s4 with Jodie Foster. Not as good as s1 but it was entertaining. Also, enjoyed how they weaved some Eskimo tradition/stories in there.

It did feel a little rushed but only 6 episodes instead of the regular 8.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 06:48 AM   #4459
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Econ View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I turned on The Greatest Night in Pop with no expectations, but damn was it enjoyable. Plus, knowing that Stevie Wonder was basically Bob Dylan's teddy bear is just so sweet

We watched this last night on my boss's recommendation. Really good, better than I expected. A few thoughts:

1. I either forgot, or never knew, how big a role Lionel Ritchie played in WATW. I'm sure I knew at the time (although maybe not - I was only 13 at the time), but it was a surprise last night. He really did a great job of storytelling and keeping the ego in check narrating the whole thing. From some things I've read about him, that might have been a difficult task, but he pulled it off really well.

2. I wasn't a huge fan of most of those artists even in their prime, but last night was enjoyable. Nostalgia is a helluva drug.

3. Huey Lewis (now, in his interviews) could have been portrayed by a bearded Al Franken and I wouldn't have known. I thought 2 things when I saw his clips - he seems like an exceedingly cool, down to earth guy, and is... is that Al Franken?

4. I don't understand why Bob Dylan was there. I mean, I get it, but given the particular song... no. Jesus Crispies did he look uncomfortable throughout the entire thing, and that was BEFORE he got put on the spot to "sing." I feel like he's the definition of someone who caught lightning in a bottle at a specific moment in time and has coasted on that legendary short period and a specific sound that hasn't aged well for him or in American culture. Pull up any random social media post asking about the worst concerts you've ever attended, and like 60% of the posts will be about seeing Bob Dylan over the past 30-40 years.

5. I forgot that MJ was showing his weirdness as early as 1984. We tend to think about all of the weird stuff in the late 80s/90s (or at least, that's when I associate it with him) - separated by some years from the Thriller days - but I guess not. They did a good job highlighting his brilliance in the few audio/video clips they showed of him creating parts of the song on the spot.

6. I know it wasn't the purpose of this documentary, but I'd pay to watch another hour of the backstory on who didn't come and why. They went into it a bit with Prince, and Sheila E was obviously pissed that she got invited and promised a solo as a bait-and-switch to lure Prince to the studio, but that was about it. Prince insisting on a guitar solo in a room away from everybody is pretty on point. But I'd love to hear why Madonna wasn't there - she was standing next to Huey Lewis on the red carpet, so she was in LA - or Dolly Parton - she seems like an obvious choice - or anyone else they tried to get, or who wanted in but was refused. Give me some dirt!

7. Waylon Jennings walking out because they were talking about adding some Swahili to the song... I'll take "WATW participants most likely to vote for Donald Trump if they were still alive" for $2000, Alex.

8. Second to uncomfortableness to Dylan was Dan Akroyd. What the hell was he doing there? Yes, I know, Blues Brothers, etc. They didn't show him much, but when they did, he seemed to be taking a proper stance - in the back, out of the way, bowing in deference to the world of musical talent in the room. He seemed like he didn't belong, for sure, and it felt like he knew it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 10:55 AM   #4460
whomario
Pro Starter

Looking forward to Shogun (Disney+ for Germany but not sure for The US, Wiki says Hulu and FX).
The source material was already put into a short series (that was then also re-edited and released as a movie). Haven't watched that or read the book, which is a bit of a rarity for me with historical series/movies based on books so that's nice.

Don't read the Wiki article too closely if you want to avoid potential spoilers on who lives or dies as for some unholy reason the years of birth and death are next to the historical characters in the Cast tab.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 02-22-2024 at 10:57 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 07:31 AM   #4461
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
4. I don't understand why Bob Dylan was there. I mean, I get it, but given the particular song... no. Jesus Crispies did he look uncomfortable throughout the entire thing, and that was BEFORE he got put on the spot to "sing." I feel like he's the definition of someone who caught lightning in a bottle at a specific moment in time and has coasted on that legendary short period and a specific sound that hasn't aged well for him or in American culture. Pull up any random social media post asking about the worst concerts you've ever attended, and like 60% of the posts will be about seeing Bob Dylan over the past 30-40 years.

I've never really understood the appeal of Dylan though of course I can recognize his contribution, even if through volume alone, to the 20th century's canon of popular music.

But I suspect the reason he's had such long-standing fame is that he was an easy avatar for what most Boomers wanted to be, but couldn't. A successful artist and free spirit not locked down by a 9-to-5 job, a connection to key events of the civil rights movement even if his involvement was mostly ancillary, and of course the sex, drugs, and rock'n'roll.

There are a lot of people who gained lasting fame and/or influence through being wish fulfillment for Boomers, and he's definitely one of them.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2024, 05:10 PM   #4462
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Looking forward to Shogun (Disney+ for Germany but not sure for The US, Wiki says Hulu and FX).
The source material was already put into a short series (that was then also re-edited and released as a movie). Haven't watched that or read the book, which is a bit of a rarity for me with historical series/movies based on books so that's nice.

Don't read the Wiki article too closely if you want to avoid potential spoilers on who lives or dies as for some unholy reason the years of birth and death are next to the historical characters in the Cast tab.

I am very much looking forward to this.

Edit: The early reviews have been incredible. Lots of comparisons to early Game of Thrones in terms of quality. The source material is really good.

Last edited by RainMaker : 02-23-2024 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-23-2024, 06:50 PM   #4463
Edward64
Head Coach

I read the book way back when. And then watched the original TV series. Loved it.

Old 02-26-2024, 07:05 AM   #4464
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I liked the new Season of True Detective but I think i would place it behind 1 and 3. The actors were all really good. They definitely stacked the cast with with elite talent(Foster, Hawes, Eccleston, Shaw) and Kali Reis was great in her first major role. Don’t recall seeing Finn Bennet before either.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 08:50 AM   #4465
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I read the book way back when. And then watched the original TV series. Loved it.

If they tell the story as written I'd love to see it. If they think it needs to be "cleaned" so nobody is offended, then not so much.

Time will tell.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2024, 09:30 AM   #4466
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
If they tell the story as written I'd love to see it. If they think it needs to be "cleaned" so nobody is offended, then not so much.

Time will tell.

I mean it was Richard Chamberlain...what do you expected?
You should expect lots of tragedy but no sex and blood

seriously tho....I was a wee lad when this came out. All I remember was the opening intro credits and that song. The miniseries itself was boring to me.

Last edited by CrimsonFox : 02-26-2024 at 09:35 AM.
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 04:46 AM   #4467
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
All I remember was the opening intro credits and that song.

Had to google on it. I didn't remember it.

Old 02-27-2024, 04:48 AM   #4468
Edward64
Head Coach

Opening scene to new series. Love the outfits.

Old 02-27-2024, 05:55 AM   #4469
bob
College Starter

I've been traveling a lot, so I haven't had a lot of time to watch tv and specifically Masters of the Air. Surprised to have heard so little about it.

On an unrelated note, I have watched the first 4 eps of Curb (don't mind watching that on my phone). I'm not sure I've laughed once.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 06:11 AM   #4470
Kodos
Resident Alien

My wife and I have watched 3 episodes of Curb and have laughed plenty. Maybe it’s not your show.

Last edited by Kodos : 02-27-2024 at 06:11 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:36 AM   #4471
bob
College Starter

I've enjoyed all the other seasons. This one is just doing nothing for me. I hate that Irma character.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 10:25 AM   #4472
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, she adds nothing.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 01:09 PM   #4473
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Bottoms is great if you're looking for a comedy about a high school, lesbian fight club. With Marshawn Lynch.
Old 02-27-2024, 07:19 PM   #4474
molson
General Manager

Curb is still a home run for me. Especially since they came back from Atlanta. And I love Irma.

"You've got a structured settlement and you need cash now!"

Edit: I also think Curb is grandfathered in to being able to do a type of comedy you couldn't do on mainstream TV anymore. They put blackface on a white lawn jockey to replace the one they broke for god's sake.

Last edited by molson : 02-27-2024 at 07:27 PM.
molson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2024, 07:27 PM   #4475
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

If you don't want to wait for Shogun, Blue Eyed Samurai on Netflix will probably scratch the itch.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:27 AM   #4476
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't know why he popped up on my YT feed but I've started watching the guy below. It's fascinating what he can do with bamboo. I suspect he has a team behind him helping build some of the stuff but it's still pretty amazing.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:30 PM   #4477
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So back to the whole we are the world thing, how is it that Michael McDonald didn’t have a spot on that song? He literally did harmony on a bunch of random tracks in the 70s and 80s and a lot of them were uncredited. It seems like he would be a perfect fit.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2024, 03:56 PM   #4478
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

He tried, but he had to come from somewhere back in the studio. He was a sentimental fool who was trying to recreate what had yet to be created.

Also, I think it's because he didn't do soundtracks like Loggins.
Yacht Rock 12 HD - YouTube
Old 02-29-2024, 04:42 PM   #4479
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
On an unrelated note, I have watched the first 4 eps of Curb (don't mind watching that on my phone). I'm not sure I've laughed once.

I know Vulva. It's a great car. It's one of the safest cars out there
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 12:34 PM   #4480
Ksyrup

I haven't watched a network TV show since the mid-2000s (except for a summer run of that forensics geneology show a few years back), but when I hear Columbo comps mentioned, my ears perk up.

I guess the success of Poker Face got people thinking about how they can rehash old characters into new shows, so apparently there's a bit character from a couple of older CBS shows who stars in a Columbo-type howcatchem-style show that more or less can be watched as individual episodes, called Elsbeth. The reviews are good, and it sounds like a quirky version of Columbo. I'm going to give it a shot.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 03-01-2024, 12:58 PM   #4481
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I haven't watched a network TV show since the mid-2000s (except for a summer run of that forensics geneology show a few years back), but when I hear Columbo comps mentioned, my ears perk up.

I guess the success of Poker Face got people thinking about how they can rehash old characters into new shows, so apparently there's a bit character from a couple of older CBS shows who stars in a Columbo-type howcatchem-style show that more or less can be watched as individual episodes, called Elsbeth. The reviews are good, and it sounds like a quirky version of Columbo. I'm going to give it a shot.
I loved that character on "The Good Wife." She was a personal favorite. I'm excited about that show.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:10 AM   #4482
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

If Shogun can keep this up I'm all here for it.
Old 03-02-2024, 11:28 AM   #4483
RainMaker
General Manager

Shogun is really good.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:02 AM   #4484
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Watched season 3 of Sunderland til I die. Only 3 episodes so an easy watch. If you haven't seen the entire series I highly recommend. If you have and haven't seen season 3 the end, oof...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 10:32 AM   #4485
GrantDawg

My wife and I started watching The Traitors last night on Peacock. We ended up staying up late watching and immediately threw it back on this morning. Needless to say, we are hooked. It still has elements of reality TV that I don't like, but the actual game is fun. The challenge with the bugs and rats was very "Fear Factor" which I didn't like, but other than that I like the challenges.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:48 AM   #4486
Edward64
Head Coach

Shogun is great.

I love all the period pieces, it's fantastic. As a layman, it feels so authentic.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:28 AM   #4487
Ksyrup

So, we watched Elsbeth last night. And yes, it's clear that it is intended to capitalize on the success of Poker Face and owes a great debt to Columbo. My wife liked it so that's good. I thought it was ... OK, but I'll continue to watch.

The biggest issues I have with it are (1) pacing and (2) you can tell it's a network show. First, this type of show absolutely needs to be a minimum 90 minutes (with commercials) or around an hour run time to really get it right. I thought the pacing, the directness of her questioning, how quickly the plot points moved, was way off and just felt rushed/forced.

The network thing... The character is too over the top quirky for my liking, and the rest of the characters just come in and out and are paper thin. A lot of this goes back to pacing and forcing this into a 60 minute show, but that's also a network thing. It feels like a show CBS would air - you know what I mean? No subtlety, clues are thrown in front of us and then immediately pointed out without giving them the chance to be found organically. She's way too direct in her questioning, almost to the point of absurdity.

The ending was aped from several Columbo episodes - I don't necessarily have a problem with that, and the "easter eggs" actually enhanced my enjoyment of Poker Face - but here, what took 10-15 minutes in a Columbo episode to play out (and pay off in tension and the climax), began and finished in literally 60-90 seconds here. Definitely not as satisfying a watch.

So, we'll continue to watch but I wish this had been picked up by Netflix or Max or something and given the proper treatment to find its full potential. I did read that it had strong numbers so that bodes well for continuing. One thing networks have over streaming services is that annual schedule they like to keep. Poker Face, as successful as it was, is just now ramping up filming for season 2, I believe. So we're looking at 2025, probably? That sucks. TV series shouldn't be on the same schedule as major rock band album releases. I'm still pissed Mindhunter stopped after season 2...

Last edited by Ksyrup : 03-04-2024 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-04-2024, 07:32 AM   #4488
Ksyrup

Also, I just read that the next episode isn't until April 4th. I get it - SOTU followed by March Madness - but I find it odd they'd run the premiere and then let it sit for a month before the next episode. I wonder if they were caught off-guard by the strong ratings and are going to wish they had scheduled this differently.
Old 03-12-2024, 07:35 PM   #4489
RainMaker
General Manager

Shogun kicks a lot of ass.
Old 03-13-2024, 04:02 PM   #4490
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Shogun kicks a lot of ass.

Agreed. It’s super fun!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:03 PM   #4491
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

I'm waiting until it's finished. Binge or death
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 04:12 PM   #4492
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I had heard mention of it several times, but last night was the first time I had been served ads on Amazon Prime. Not a fan.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:56 PM   #4493
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

At least they've only dropped Dolby Vision, for now, on the ad tier. as far as I know, only them and Hulu do 4k with ads. I'm not entirely sure why we have a 4k tv since we can't actually get the content at reasonable prices.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:36 PM   #4494
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched the Fallout trailer on Prime.

April 11th!
Old 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM   #4495
Edward64
Head Coach

Enjoyed Roadhouse.

Preferred the orig ending fight but this remake was plenty entertaining.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:25 AM   #4496
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched first 3 episodes of Netflix's adaptation of "Three Body Problem".

I know it's won the Hugo and a bunch of other awards, but it's pretty boring so far, somewhat painful. I'm not sure I'll finish watching it, has not met my (probably unrealistic) expectations.
Old 03-22-2024, 08:38 AM   #4497
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Enjoyed Roadhouse.

Preferred the orig ending fight but this remake was plenty entertaining.
My wife and I watched the original last night. It was one of my favorite movies even though I'm generally not a big action movie fan. It was still a fun watch. Probably watch the new one tonight.
Old 03-22-2024, 12:41 PM   #4498
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
My wife and I watched the original last night. It was one of my favorite movies even though I'm generally not a big action movie fan. It was still a fun watch. Probably watch the new one tonight.

Let me know if you agree with me re: remake.
Old 03-22-2024, 07:54 PM   #4499
GrantDawg

We found the new Roadhouse good. I think Jake Gyllenhaal did a pretty decent job in the lead. Connor McGregor can't act, but he can be massive and intimidating enough to get by. It was fun enough.

Old 03-23-2024, 07:24 AM   #4500
Edward64
Head Coach

Watched "The Acolyte" trailer.

Would have preferred more Grogu but looking forward to it in June. It looks to be darker in theme and more action.