Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

HDR Yes or No

Looking to upgrade the main TV and I am trying to figure out if HDR is something I need or not. We really only use this TV for viewing cable, blue ray movies and some stuff on Netflix with the Amazon Firestick. Really no video gaming on this TV and while we do love a great picture this TV will be updating a 42 inch 11 year old plasma TV.

cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 08:59 PM   #2
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

The hard part with HDR is all of the different types and levels, etc. HDR would allow you to future proof your TV for sure and there have been some awesome deals this week with the Superbowl coming. What size and budget were you trying to be within? There are some great deals on LGs OLEDs, which I have a couple of and love.
INDalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Old 01-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #4
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Looking at 55-65 inches and up to $1400. The two I am looking between right now are the Vizio M65-D0 and the Vizio E65U-D3. The tablet controller does not excite me for what I want to spend and being a pretty basic user both of these would be a big upgrade versus what I currently have.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:03 PM   #5
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

I wouldn't go out of your way to get HDR. It's nice and all, but not a game-changer like the jump from SD to HD was. If you have to pay a few hundred (or more) extra for that feature, I'm not sure you'd really find it worth it.

At some point in the future there might be enough content out there supporting it that it becomes more worthwhile, but having viewed content side-by-side I didn't feel like it was an "Oh my god I have to have this feature!" kind of experience.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:06 PM   #6
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

I have the M65 D0. It's a great tv in my opinion picture wise, but has a lot of issues when using an XBOX One S. Also even though it's advertised as such it's not true HDR because it doesn't have the wide color gamut. I'd wait a year or two if HDR is one of your deciding factors. At least that way you can see which HDR format wins out. It would suck to invest a lot of money in a tv and then have it be the equivalent of an HD DVD player once Blu Ray won out. Also the E series you mentioned has no HDR capability and is only 60hz so motion sucks on it. So if it's between those two I'd recommend the M over the E by a lot. If budget isn't a huge concern I know Best Buy recently had the Higher end Sony 65 inch with real HDR for a few hundred more than the VIZIO M.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 08:57 AM   #7
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Look at Walmart and Sceptre, I'm not kidding... we love ours and you'll spend about a 1/3 of what you're considering on spending.

Welcome to SCEPTRE Inc.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Looking at 55-65 inches and up to $1400. The two I am looking between right now are the Vizio M65-D0 and the Vizio E65U-D3. The tablet controller does not excite me for what I want to spend and being a pretty basic user both of these would be a big upgrade versus what I currently have.

Stay away from Vizio. It is absolutely trash as a brand.
Old 01-30-2017, 10:48 PM   #9
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

http://www.rtings.com/tv This is one of the better and more in depth TV review sites out there in my opinion. Might help you narrow things down.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniCub View Post
http://www.rtings.com/tv This is one of the better and more in depth TV review sites out there in my opinion. Might help you narrow things down.

Thanks.

Noop not sure why you think the Vizio line is trash. As far as picture their sets seem to have prety high ratings. I am not a fan of the tablet for controlling the settings but there are multiple sites that have Vizio rated relatively for their price point.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:47 AM   #11
Edward64
Head Coach

FWIW, re: 4K models in the $1200-1500. I got a LG 70" from Costco during Black Friday. It was noticeably worse than my 65 inch Samsung from prior year. The colors were not as deep and pictures looked "soft". I did go into rtings and used the setting they recommended for the model but still wasn't happy with it.

Reading thru rtings they said Samsung has one of the better upscaling of regular content. I did swap out the LG for a BB 70" Samsung but did consider the Vizio. I think I read in rtings that the Samsung had better upscaling than even the Vizio.

So, if you are getting the TV for alot of regular cable content, my recommendation is go for the Samsung series. If its primarily for blu-ray or HD content, I think you would be happy with the Vizio or Samsung. I would stay away from the LG unless it was the OLED models.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #12
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks.

Noop not sure why you think the Vizio line is trash. As far as picture their sets seem to have prety high ratings. I am not a fan of the tablet for controlling the settings but there are multiple sites that have Vizio rated relatively for their price point.

IIRC, when Vizio first started in the early part of 00's, they got a reputation for cheap and unreliable TV's (think I first saw them at BB). I do agree with you that recent reviews/articles seem to indicate that Vizio is pretty good now.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:57 PM   #13
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Thanks.

My Vizio crapped out on me and it was 2 years old.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:04 PM   #14
INDalltheway
College Benchwarmer

Spring for this 55" LG OLED @ $1500. I have this TV and at this price it's a great deal.

Same TV, but this one should ship faster for the same price.

Last edited by INDalltheway : 02-03-2017 at 10:14 PM.