Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM   #1
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Breaking Bad

Anybody else watching this? Not much of a TV Series guy, but this one hooked me like no other on network or cable (I don't get premium.) Is this the first show that looks like it could have been on HBO? Father from Malcolm in the Middle stars as ABQ High School chem teacher. If you've seen the series you know the rest.

Bubba Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

First two episodes available online: hxxp://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/
Old 02-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

I've watched the first 2 shows. I like it so far, and I'm not usually a 1 hr. drama guy.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hmm, been meaning to watch it, sounds like a fascinating concept. Will have to program the DVR.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I have watched the first two episodes as well and will watch the third tonight. Bryan Cranston is great in it.

Apparently the show was pitched to FX. They loved the shows idea and then passed on it because they didn't think they could sell it to advertisers because of the drugs. Ratings have been solid so I hope its picked up for a second season.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
gi
College Prospect

Great story, writing, and acting. On my must see list.
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Officially on the list! Might download them to catch up to them, but I shouldn't since then I would be all caught up by the end of the night and will have to wait week to week. So I'll let them record when they show up again. Bummer.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #8
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Everyone still watching this show? I'm still enjoying it very, very much.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
Bubba Wheels
College Starter

Great stuff. Good as anything seen on the Premium channels. Keep kids far away.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #10
Tasan
College Starter

Oh my, I finally got around to watching the first two episodes, and I nearly vomited when
Spoiler
. I'm not sure I'm going to continue, but I love the dad from Malcolm in the Middle.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Wheels View Post
First two episodes available online: hxxp://www.amctv.com/originals/breakingbad/

keep forgetting about this show, online episodes will help me a lot. thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #12
gi
College Prospect

Just watched yesterday's episode. Best one so far. With writing and acting so strong, I'm surprised one of the networks didn't pick this up. Even with the theme....oh well.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:29 PM   #13
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, the last few seconds of the show would probably have been my reaction. Just scream and basically punch a few things. Man, his adrenaline was probably running so high. He was feeling good but like shit at the same time was my thought.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #14
Bad-example
College Starter

I watched the first two episodes and am hooked. They are airing reruns on sunday nights at midnight. Nice casting all around and an interesting story.
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #15
gi
College Prospect

I just setup my new dvr to capture the 2nd season. Excellent series.
Old 09-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #16
Bad-example
College Starter

For those late to the party, AMC is showing all seven episodes of season one this wednesday night at 8pm.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:03 AM   #17
Bad-example
College Starter

I missed the broadcast of the first show of season two but caught episode 2 Sunday night. Holy balls. Ding! Ding! Ding!

A shame this show isn't ever going to get the exposure it deserves.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #18
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I thought the last episode was some of the best TV I've seen in a long time. Great pace and tension from pretty much start to finish. I'm going to miss Tuco.

"Awwww! Are you mad-dogging 'em tio? You don't like them?" Ding!
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #19
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I love this show also. I sort of see it as a Wire type show. Not that it is the same in any way but that the following will always be rather small but everyone who watches really loves it.

My only worry is now that there is dead Tuco, the kid's car is all shot up, and the teacher has gone missing for several days how anything is ever going to be back to normal. Not that is necessarily a bad thing but it seemed like once Vic from the Shield got in way over his head every episode was a little too much over the top.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 02:25 PM   #20
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Yes, I'm interested to see how they can resolve things from here as well. Up until now, Hank has been a fascinating character to me, because he's the stereotypical TV puffed-up cowboy cop, but as time's gone on we've seen more and more of bits and pieces that show how he's also remarkably effective and good at what he does, and we're getting very close to the point where Hank would have to put most, if not all, of the pieces he already has together that point towards Walt cooking meth.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:45 PM   #21
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Yes, I'm interested to see how they can resolve things from here as well. Up until now, Hank has been a fascinating character to me, because he's the stereotypical TV puffed-up cowboy cop, but as time's gone on we've seen more and more of bits and pieces that show how he's also remarkably effective and good at what he does, and we're getting very close to the point where Hank would have to put most, if not all, of the pieces he already has together that point towards Walt cooking meth.

I wasn't a big fan of Hank when he was showing off his gun at the birthday party and showing off on the ride-along in the first epiosode. But I reaqlly am starting to like his character and the writers are doing a better job of showing that while he thinks he is super macho he is also a good cop and knows his limitations. (Like when he gets everyone fired up about nailing Tuco and then leaves the room and says "we are never going to get this guy" or when he laughs about them stealing the barrel of chemicals)
Old 03-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #22
Bad-example
College Starter

Hank is going to figure it out and then will be trapped in a moral dilemma. It will be interesting to see what his reaction is when he confronts Walt.

I think this is a great show and can't wait to see where it goes. They make a point of telling viewers that the show is available On Demand, but my cable company (AT&T) doesn't have it. I think I will email AMC and see if I can maybe light a fire or at least get an explanation.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #23
Bad-example
College Starter

Tim Goodman from the Chronicle deconstructs each episode a day or two after it airs. Good stuff.

Tim Goodman. The Bastard Machine : "Breaking Bad" Spoiled Bastard. Ep. 2: "Grilled."

Spoilers galore, so don't click unless you have seen episode 2 (Ding!)
Old 03-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #24
gi
College Prospect

Second season has not disappointed me, great writing and pacing as was already said.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #25
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I have a friend who is a cop so sometimes he will have poker or something that has a lot of cops at it. Hank is so spot on for their thinking they are cool attitude.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #26
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Simply an awesome show. I've read AMC butchers it though. I've been buying it off iTunes, I can't imagine they broadcast the same version on AMC. There's probably a good 5-10 minutes each episode I don't see them getting away with on basic cable.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #27
Bad-example
College Starter

I love the pacing of this show. Another very good episode last night. About the only flaw IMO is the wife, Skyler. I have grown to greatly dislike the actress. I just don't think she fits the role. But I can look past something minor like that.

Bryan Cranston is just awesome.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:27 PM   #28
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I don't think I like Skyler the character much at all, even though I certainly understand her exasperation. Although we've been given plenty of reason to see why she should be so frazzled, they've never given us any reason to really like Skyler (or her sister for that matter), and she kind of pales next to the rest of the characters, who are doing and acting in far worse ways, but somehow come off more sympathetic.

Jesse is the exact opposite. I give that actor all the props in the world, because Jesse is just a humongous piece of trash, who fucks up in absolutely every situation, has absolutely nobody's respect, is completely oblivious to all of his own flaws, and yet remains completely sympathetic. Even when he's blue.

"What the hell, yo? I thought this was a wake up call?"
Old 03-30-2009, 05:54 PM   #29
gi
College Prospect

Just caught up on the last two episodes last night, yeah, they should give more to Skylar the character. We are seeing her own personal fall, but it would be nice to get some background. Still one of the best shows on right now.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
Bad-example
College Starter

If you are a fan of this show or just interested, AMC » Story Matters Here has a bunch of cool stuff worth checking out. Rocking new Breaking Bad wallpaper, the cool 'chemistry" one.

Great casting on Saul the lawyer, and nice to see John DeLancie (Q) getting a little work. Really excited to see how the season ends. Hoping they show a marathon soon, as I have gotten several people interested in the show and they need to catch up.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #31
Bad-example
College Starter

Forgot to mention this show has been renewed for season 3.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #32
gi
College Prospect

Awesome news about the renewal. Just caught up and while I figured that would happen, they did it very well. Looking forward to seeing what happens with the plot next week.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #33
Bad-example
College Starter

Eight more days until season three! They are dribbling reruns at us in the middle of the night this week and next weekend.

So excited to see what they do with Walt's character this season.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:16 AM   #34
gi
College Prospect

E Online had a video of Season 2 bloopers that will included on the upcoming DVD. Looking forward to some of the best writing and acting in television.
Old 03-14-2010, 11:13 AM   #35
timmynausea
College Starter

March Madness + new season of Breaking Bad = good times.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #36
Bad-example
College Starter

There wasn't much discussed here about the ending to season two, which I find surprising considering how amazing it was.

Spoiler
Old 03-16-2010, 11:55 AM   #37
Schmidty
Coordinator

I love this show. Looking forward to season 3.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:41 PM   #38
gi
College Prospect

Ending was fantastic, great foreshadowing.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:26 AM   #39
Bad-example
College Starter

Seriously, when the going gets tough, you don't want a criminal lawyer, alright? You want a 'criminal' lawyer. You know what I'm saying?
Old 03-17-2010, 10:28 AM   #40
Butter
Coordinator

I just finished watching the whole Season 2 off my DVR... what a great season. If they can keep it up, I will be properly amazed. Enjoying watching the wheels starting to come off for Walt and seeing how they play that out this year.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:42 AM   #41
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

So, couldn't remember due to the break between seasons, but why are the toe-skull brothers after Walt? Just because his good stuff flooding their market?
Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM   #42
Bad-example
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
So, couldn't remember due to the break between seasons, but why are the toe-skull brothers after Walt? Just because his good stuff flooding their market?

Yeah, the cartel wants his head for that and the whole Tuco business.

Damn that was a cool opening scene. This is one of those rare shows I truly feel privileged to watch.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #43
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, everyone I turn onto it loves it without exception. Even my mother, who I've never seen admit to enjoying anything since Murder She Wrote.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 06:25 PM   #44
Bad-example
College Starter

Tim Goodman. The Bastard Machine : "Breaking Bad" Spoiled Bastard. Ep. 1: "No Mas."
Old 04-13-2010, 12:59 AM   #45
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Seriously, when the going gets tough, you don't want a criminal lawyer, alright? You want a 'criminal' lawyer. You know what I'm saying?

Just saw the scene where Saul negotiates the purchase of the house, man I'm glad they got Bob Odenkirk on the cast.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 AM   #46
Tasan
College Starter

This season has been amazing. Does anyone know if its planning on continuing past this season, or are they going to wrap things up this go 'round?
Old 05-03-2010, 12:37 AM   #47
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Man, that episode was fucking insane. This has gotta be one of the best TV shows that I've ever seen. If you aren't watching it, you're really missing out.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:41 AM   #48
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Although, dunno if anyone else caught it. But motherfuck AMC for showing highlights for next weeks show(including a certain character in a certain place) super spoiler-riffic in the middle of the goddamn episode during a commercial break. I know that many people will skip, etc, but it was just super bush league.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:14 AM   #49
Bad-example
College Starter

Saul = awesome

"Trust me, there is no honor among thieves. (grins) Except between us."

That last ten minutes were crazy. The writing is tight on this show.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:30 AM   #50
Tasan
College Starter

I had my doubts about this season going into it. The whole plane crash at the end of last season was a bit over the top, but I'm absolutely loving this season. This last episode had me yelling at the TV, in a good way.