Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 AM   #301
Swaggs
Coordinator

Are we clear whether the 3-minutes to 8-hours thing is how long it takes you to die after you are bitten/scratched or whether that is how long it takes you to reanimate after you die?
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 09:33 AM   #302
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Are we clear whether the 3-minutes to 8-hours thing is how long it takes you to die after you are bitten/scratched or whether that is how long it takes you to reanimate after you die?

My interpretation was after you die, but that's nothing more than my gut understanding of it at the time.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #303
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

really enjoyed the finale - my favorite after the first one. but, man, you really do have suspend belief a LOT to watch this show (much like Lost). HB is clearly better at that than I am.

and yeah, I think Andrea is preggers. Unfortunately.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #304
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My guess was that he directed them toward another location, or offered some other guidance on their next move that will set up the next conflict among the core group.

My other guess is that Andrea is infected but that it's some sort of dormant strain or something along those lines.

Yup, this is closest to what I think (and interesting hypothesis, that last, Jon).

The doc doesn't give a flying flip about these people or himself. Why would he care about someone being pregnant or someone being assaulted? He was ready to let them all fry with him just for being there.

No, I thought it was obvious that he's telling Rick something zombie-apocalypse-related. Like Jon says, maybe another location for possible survival, or maybe something about zombie behavior he noted, or some particular substance that seemed to have some effect limiting the zombie disease. Something zombie-ish about one of the other members, like Jon suggests above, is also a good guess, what with all the blood work he did.

I'm still wondering where the helicopter came from (and who was piloting it).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #305
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of Andrea and Lori are preggers, but I don't think that's what Jenner was whispering about.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:31 AM   #306
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
BTW, I wouldn't be surprised if either or both of Andrea and Lori are preggers, but I don't think that's what Jenner was whispering about.

agree
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #307
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Definitely, it could be some kind of fuel oil or something. I don't think we're asking for much here - just the idea that someone would think of it. It wouldn't even have to be Jenner - once they found the empty drums having one of the survivors say "Maybe we could get some more gas" would be enough for me. The reason it's so immersion-breaking is that no one even considered it, even though there would have to be gas stations within a couple miles.

Considering there was only 1 hour left and they would need to locate the fuel, not to mention that he said they were locked in, I can understand why they didn't think that, they felt defeated at that point.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 AM   #308
DanGarion
Coordinator

If anyone is interested Television Without Pity has been doing episode recaps. They are usually pretty entertaining.
TV Show Recaps & Reviews - TV Show Episode Recaps & Reviews | TWoP
Old 12-07-2010, 02:34 PM   #309
samifan24
Pro Starter

I have to say that despite picking these six episodes apart I did enjoy the show and am hopeful they can iron out the problems and the bad dialogue during the lengthy layoff until season two.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #310
Sun Tzu
Pro Starter

Quote:

100% clear that it's reanimation after death.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #311
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post
I have to say that despite picking these six episodes apart I did enjoy the show and am hopeful they can iron out the problems and the bad dialogue during the lengthy layoff until season two.

This is pretty much where I am. I like the show a lot but I think it can be improved in some ways.
Your guilty conscience may force you to vote Democratic, but deep down inside you secretly long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king. --Sideshow Bob
Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #312
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifan24 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This is pretty much where I am. I like the show a lot but I think it can be improved in some ways.

On board with both you guys. It has room for improvement, but I'm enjoying it. If it gets worse though, I will jump ship.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #313
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I love the show. It certainly could improve. It's not perfect, but I had a blast watching the six episodes this year. Since I got a DVR 5 years ago, this is the only show I've watched every episode of when it aired.

It think the quality would have to take a serious down turn, which I really don't foresee happening so long as Darabount remains involved and on top of things, before I bailed on it. I certainly could. I've bailed on a ton of shows in the past, though none of them had zombies.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #314
Subby
lolzcat

Guessing those were diesel generators and the drums were a minimum of 50 gallons. I just don't think it would be realistic for them to go seek and find enough diesel gas to make a difference.

Additionally - at least at the gas stations - I think those pumps have some type of electrical component to them and since it sounds like the power grid is gone, there is no way to get the fuel out of the ground.

DAMN YOU FOSSIL FUELS!!! :[
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 12-07-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 10:47 AM   #315
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Guessing those were diesel generators and the drums were a minimum of 50 gallons. I just don't think it would be realistic for them to go seek and find enough diesel gas to make a difference.

Additionally - at least at the gas stations - I think those pumps have some type of electrical component to them and since it sounds like the power grid is gone, there is no way to get the fuel out of the ground.

DAMN YOU FOSSIL FUELS!!! :[

And here I would think the CDC would have some type of off the grid power supply like solar or wind farm...
Old 12-08-2010, 10:51 AM   #316
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
And here I would think the CDC would have some type of off the grid power supply like solar or wind farm...

Not that I'm familiar with, if there's even a wind farm in Georgia I've never heard of it.

Solar is a possibility but doesn't seem to have been a point of emphasis for the CDC, although they did recently commit to buying green energy (landfill-to-methane mostly) from Georgia Power. But that doesn't help them if the utility company has ceased to exist of course.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:31 AM   #317
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
While I tend to be pretty forgiving, the one thing that does bother me is the fact that they are driving so many different cars. It looked like at the end of the show, their caravan had at least 4 and I believe it was 5 different vehicles. With gas obviously being an issue, if not now, definitely later, why have 5 cars, including one massive RV, for so few people? I understand the desire to have at least one, perhaps two, other cars than the rickety old RV, but 5?

Just watched the last episode last night and had the same issue with it. Why wouldn't they siphon gas from the motorhome (which gets atrociously bad mileage) and use the other vehicles to preserve fuel. Or have everybody cram into the motorohome &bring only the pickup truck with gas cans loaded in the back of it. Just something other than 5 vehicles including a couple with 1 person in it.

Seems silly to me from a survival standpoint. Almost as if they are putting ALL eggs into the basket of "just get to the next place & everything will be fine".
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #318
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Just watched the last episode last night and had the same issue with it. Why wouldn't they siphon gas from the motorhome (which gets atrociously bad mileage) and use the other vehicles to preserve fuel. Or have everybody cram into the motorohome &bring only the pickup truck with gas cans loaded in the back of it. Just something other than 5 vehicles including a couple with 1 person in it.

Seems silly to me from a survival standpoint. Almost as if they are putting ALL eggs into the basket of "just get to the next place & everything will be fine".

Things like that could be one of the reasons they are changing out the writing staff. Or, I don't know what their travel arrangements are in the comics, so, maybe they are just following what's in there?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #319
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Things like that could be one of the reasons they are changing out the writing staff. Or, I don't know what their travel arrangements are in the comics, so, maybe they are just following what's in there?

I am pretty sure they are all just crammed in the RV in the comic.

5 vehicles for 10 people, including 2 children, is excessive, but it's probably just for aesthetic purposes - the shot of the convoy rolling along. I don't have any issue with the crew having at least one, perhaps two, vehicles other than the RV, but 5 seems excessive.

Still, at least for me, it's a minor point. I am sure they will shed vehicles along the way.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 12-08-2010, 11:56 AM   #320
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am pretty sure they are all just crammed in the RV in the comic.

5 vehicles for 10 people, including 2 children, is excessive, but it's probably just for aesthetic purposes - the shot of the convoy rolling along. I don't have any issue with the crew having at least one, perhaps two, vehicles other than the RV, but 5 seems excessive.

Still, at least for me, it's a minor point. I am sure they will shed vehicles along the way.

Ah ok. So the comic had it the way people are thinking of how they should be driving around then or at least closer to it.

The only thing that comes to mind why they all have their own vehicle in the show is, to show that everyone came from somewhere else and it's kind of like Battlestar Galactica with its 'rag tag fleet'.

Definitely the smart way would be to have one or two back up vehicles and keep the wagon train as small as possible.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 12:29 PM   #321
SteveMax58
College Starter

Another thought that came to mind while watching the last episode that I did not see brought up in this thread.

Did anybody else think for a minute that they might blow up everybody and start fresh in Season 2 with a new cast? And potentially make that a recurring theme each season. That thought crossed my mind a couple of times. I almost thought it might be the reason for making many of the characters very stereotyped. Like Ronnie Dobbs mentioned...Shane in the shower had my wife & I laughing as well. It was so over the top...almost campy if that's the right term.

I actually thought they might all blow up & we'd see another CDC base of people possibly and then Season 2 would be them trying to search out others in some other part of the country (or world).
Old 12-08-2010, 12:30 PM   #322
SteveMax58
College Starter

Dola,

I have not read the comic so maybe that would be totally incompatible with the story but I don't have a sense for how close this show is following the comic anyway.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #323
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMax58 View Post
Dola,

I have not read the comic so maybe that would be totally incompatible with the story but I don't have a sense for how close this show is following the comic anyway.

It sort of kind of follows the comic, but not really. Just for a sense of how things have already diverged:

The whole CDC thing was never in the comic.

Shane is already dead by this point in the comic.

Darryl/Merle don't exist in the comic.

The whole "Vatos" thing - those guys defending the old folks home - wasn't in the comic.

The tank Rick hid in when he first got to Atlanta wasn't in the comic.

Jacqui, the black woman who died in the last episode, wasnt' in the comic.

Andrea, Dale, Glenn, Rick, Lori, and Carl are all in the comic.

So, the series diverges quite a bit. I've been fine with it. I love both the comic and the show, but I feel the show is better.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #324
Peregrine
Pro Starter

Boom.

Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 11:25 AM   #325
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Hoping they sign Norman Reedus as a cast regular for next season. Between him and the old guy, that's the only real acting they've got in this show. The guy who plays Shane sucks, Lori sucks, Rick is ok. Well, time to stop thinking about this for 9 months.

I just noticed this but absolutely agree with everything 100%.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 PM   #326
Swaggs
Coordinator

I bought "Compendium One" (which is the first 8 chapters) from Amazon last week and have been devouring it (I'm about halfway through, so far). I think they really nailed the casting with Dale, Lori, Glenn, and Andrea. They did alright with Rick, but I think the actor is playing him a little too cerebral.

Otherwise, I cannot wait to see what they do with all the upcoming storylines and locales. I kind of feel like they wasted a lot of time with Atlanta and introduced a few too many new characters, rather than hitting some of the interesting locations and characters in the book, but I can understand since they were working on the knowledge that it could only be six episodes long.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #327
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I They did alright with Rick, but I think the actor is playing him a little too cerebral.

Assuming you mean that he's playing the character too ... I dunno, making him more logical than he should be?

It's an interesting notion there, but what it made me wonder was whether this was (even subconsciously) influenced by the network where the show was airing. It's at least arguably one of the more intelligent audiences, perhaps playing the character with more base motivations might not be as appealing to the network's core?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #328
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Assuming you mean that he's playing the character too ... I dunno, making him more logical than he should be?

It's an interesting notion there, but what it made me wonder was whether this was (even subconsciously) influenced by the network where the show was airing. It's at least arguably one of the more intelligent audiences, perhaps playing the character with more base motivations might not be as appealing to the network's core?

That is a good point with the AMC audience. I think his character in the book seems a lot more impulsive with his decisions and actions than he does in the book. There are several times in the book where he has lost his cool, so it will be interesting to see if the actor can pull that off or if it will seem out of character for him.

Shane is actually casted pretty well (I think the actor is average at best, but has the look and can pull it off if they don't use him too much), but his TV character is kind of ruined for me after that goofy scene of him crying and drinking booze in the shower.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:57 PM   #329
DanGarion
Coordinator

I've read the first two collections of books. Going to get more soon, been extremely happy with how they read.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:32 PM   #330
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I don't think this has been confirmed, but the story now is a July opening of Season 2 instead of waiting until October - Walking Dead Season 2 Coming in July | MoviesOnline
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:49 PM   #331
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Good. Not only is that a traditional TV dead time with a dearth of good programming (so more will be encouraged to watch it), but going almost a whole year between season debuts after a first season of just six episodes keeps it in the memory a bit.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #332
Swaggs
Coordinator

Finished up the Compendium last night. I really liked the direction they went in, but was not crazy about the last several pages.

I guess I'm going to have to spring for The Omnibus #3 Collection to figure out what happens next. The Compendium looks like it covers issues #1-#48, with the three available Omnibus collections each covering 24 issues. Not sure when/if a 2nd Compendium will be out (or if they have/will gone past 72 issues).
Old 02-06-2011, 10:13 PM   #333
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Finished up the Compendium last night. I really liked the direction they went in, but was not crazy about the last several pages.

I guess I'm going to have to spring for The Omnibus #3 Collection to figure out what happens next. The Compendium looks like it covers issues #1-#48, with the three available Omnibus collections each covering 24 issues. Not sure when/if a 2nd Compendium will be out (or if they have/will gone past 72 issues).

Where did that one leave off? Obviously spoiler, or PM me. Just curious where you're at.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #334
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Where did that one leave off? Obviously spoiler, or PM me. Just curious where you're at.

Spoiler

Last edited by Swaggs : 02-06-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #335
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Spoiler

You still have a ways to go. It gets increasingly more and more fucked up, but in a good way. I envy you for still having so much left to read.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #336
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
You still have a ways to go. It gets increasingly more and more fucked up, but in a good way. I envy you for still having so much left to read.

How many more issues are there?

What did you do to get them? The Compendium (it had #1-48) that I bought was like $38 on Amazon (it was like $55 at retailers like Barnes and Noble), but it looks like the Omnibus editions (there are three that each have 24 issues) are anywhere from $150 to $500 due to short supply and that the indidual chapters (which I assume each have about 6 issues) are anywhere from $8-$20 bucks.

I'm think that they may come out with a second Compendium, but it may not be until another 24 issues come out (I'm not sure what exact issue that they are, but it looks like the furthest along that any of the collections has is issue #72).

Sorry if that was confusing.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #337
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
How many more issues are there?

What did you do to get them? The Compendium (it had #1-48) that I bought was like $38 on Amazon (it was like $55 at retailers like Barnes and Noble), but it looks like the Omnibus editions (there are three that each have 24 issues) are anywhere from $150 to $500 due to short supply and that the indidual chapters (which I assume each have about 6 issues) are anywhere from $8-$20 bucks.

I'm think that they may come out with a second Compendium, but it may not be until another 24 issues come out (I'm not sure what exact issue that they are, but it looks like the furthest along that any of the collections has is issue #72).

Sorry if that was confusing.

I bought the hardcover books off Amazon. It's 12 issues per book. So yeah I finished up to issue 72.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:11 AM   #338
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:

I was confused as to what exact versions you were reading. I've been reading the "Books". They are a total of 6 of those and I have finished #1 and #2.

Spoiler
Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #339
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Walking Dead comes in softcover trades (6 issues), hardcover books (12 issues) or the big compendium on (#1-#48).

link to compendium on amazon:
Amazon.com: The Walking Dead: Compendium One (9781607060765): Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn, Tony Moore: Books

I also read it in hardcover format. Read #3 a while back and have #4 in my "to read" pile...

FM
Old 02-07-2011, 10:25 AM   #340
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

and FWIW, looks like issue #81 shipped last week...

FM
Old 02-07-2011, 11:02 AM   #341
Swaggs
Coordinator

It looks like, if you are just starting out like me, the Compendium is the best bang for your buck to get up to issue #48 and then these volume books can getyou from #49+ (they look to go up to issue #72 so far): Amazon.com: The Walking Dead, Vol. 9: Here We Remain (9781607060222): Robert Kirkman, Charlie Adlard, Cliff Rathburn: Books

Compendium is about $38 on Amazon and the above books look to be about $8-$10. I imagine there will be a second Compendium when they get up to issue #96 (but that sounds like it will be a year and a half away if they are only on #81 now).
Old 02-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #342
Swaggs
Coordinator

Spoiler for folks who haven't read (or haven't read very far):

Spoiler
Old 02-18-2011, 08:49 PM   #343
Swaggs
Coordinator

Wow.

Telltale Games

http://pc.ign.com/articles/115/1150855p1.html
Old 02-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #344
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Could be awesome. Planning a 4Q 2011 release gives me pause though.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #345
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Interesting development.

I still have my money on "Dead State" as the next interesting addition to the zombie video game cannon, but I am intrigued.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #346
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I'll just post it here but Dead Island was optioned into a movie.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:27 PM   #347
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not a major spoiler, but there is some casting news that will at least give us some indication of how far into the graphic novels we will get to see in Season 2.

Spoiler

EDIT -- Messed up a name.

Last edited by Swaggs : 06-23-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:34 AM   #348
Blade6119
Coordinator

A good friend of mine got to be a zombie in some of the season 2 shooting in Atlanta because she won some online contest, but she cant talk about the details or even post pictures until September or they sue her, but she said it was a great experience
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:17 AM   #349
Radii
Head Coach

that's awesome!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #350
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Season 2 Trailer just aired at Comic Con.

http://www.amctv.com/the-walking-dea...from-comic-con
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote