Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
He just wanted to sell books.

+1
Old 11-15-2016, 12:38 PM   #202
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Donald Trump's senior White House adviser Steve Bannon said liberal women are 'a bunch of dy**s' | The Independent

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #203
JPhillips
General Manager

One thing I didn't think about, but the senate committees look to be 10-9 GOP. That makes every GOP member the king of the world. That could really come in to play for nominations.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #204
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

See? I told you it was going to be a fun four years if nothing else.

Watching left-wing heads explode is just about as good as it gets. His calling out of the "seven sisters schools up in New England" is great stuff.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:52 PM   #205
JPhillips
General Manager

The Gallup tracking poll went from -65 before the election to +5 this week among GOP respondents on the question of is the economy getting better.

I guess America is great again.
Old 11-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #206
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Gallup tracking poll went from -65 before the election to +5 this week among GOP respondents on the question of is the economy getting better.

I love it for the easy spin: "Even Republicans agree that Obama has made the economy better."

Old 11-15-2016, 02:02 PM   #207
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Addition by subtraction basically. There isn't the expectation / fear of seeing even more imbalanced taxation, less likelihood that success will be penalized or discouraged.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:03 PM   #208
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Addition by subtraction basically. There isn't the expectation / fear of seeing even more imbalanced taxation, less likelihood that success will be penalized or discouraged.

Yeah.

Or the number is solely a representative figure for is the president elect on your team.
Old 11-15-2016, 02:25 PM   #209
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah. Or the number is solely a representative figure for is the president elect on your team.

Not sure those two things aren't considerably linked.
Old 11-15-2016, 03:53 PM   #210
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Ascribing exactly that reasoning to the answer, they're answering the question they want to hear ("will the economy get better?") instead of the one they were actually asked.

Being as generous as possible towards their deductive reasoning skills, that becomes entirely a WOO TEAM answer. "The Trump Recovery that's been going on the last six years is going just swell!"

The economy was in the toilet, but all of a sudden, it's not anymore! Magic at the ballot box!
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:02 PM   #211
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Serious question. In the age of 24-hour coverage and social media, why would the physical appearance of any candidate or even worse, the appearance of a celebrity with a candidate make any difference?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:59 PM   #212
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
You mean like the Nobel committee awarding the peace prize based on ballot box?

I get what they were going for there - 'if we give him the prize, he'll spend the next 4-8 years working to try and live up to it' - but...the Nobel Peace Prize really shouldn't be aspirational. That was goofy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Sack, Bush43 said he could squeeze a million votes from Texas if that mattered. I think with the 4 big states already solid colors, the other states should be more important. It's unfortunate that CA-NY-IL alone can get a candidate almost 40% of the way there nowadays.

You're kinda proving my point, though, Bucc. Right now, there IS no reason for a Republican candidate to spend much time in the GOP's "firewall" states. Aside from Georgia and Arizona, and the ever-present prospect of a purple Texas (which may never happen), most of those "firewall" states are pretty reliably double-digit states for a Republican. That includes, as I said, most of the Midwest, much of the Mountain West, and most of the South.

As far as the lament that three states get somebody almost 40% of the way to 270...population centers matter, and they'd matter either in the system we've got, or a popular vote system.

If you want to blunt the impact of population centers on Presidential elections (and I'm not sure why you would other than to grant rural areas much more disproportionate influence than they currently enjoy), what you do is keep the Electoral College but distribute Electoral Votes one per Congressional district.

And then you'd probably see the Democrats spend a half-century or more in the political wilderness as they tried to broaden their reach beyond urban populations; whether that's a bug or a feature is probably up to one's personal politics.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:20 PM   #213
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Ascribing exactly that reasoning to the answer, they're answering the question they want to hear ("will the economy get better?") instead of the one they were actually asked.

I have a client that has not spent one single dime on television advertising in a year. He released funds to do so on Wednesday, the day after the election.

Also, the question as asked (per gallup.com) is
Gallup tracks daily the percentage of Americans who think that economic conditions in the country as a whole are "getting better" or "getting worse."

Not "the economy" but "economic conditions". So the rationale I mentioned is perfectly valid. Attitudes & expectations are an aspect of "economic conditions".

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-15-2016 at 07:21 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:29 PM   #214
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I see where the liberals are confused. The EC was a compromise between the large states and the small states. It's the whole compromise thing they don't understand; unless that compromise is giving them everything they want (without having to give anything up).

Conservatives understand protecting slavery.

We can all play this game.
Old 11-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #215
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
I see where the liberals are confused. The EC was a compromise between the large states and the small states. It's the whole compromise thing they don't understand; unless that compromise is giving them everything they want (without having to give anything up).

Exactly right.

Last edited by Dutch : 11-15-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 09:51 PM   #216
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Rand Paul says he will oppose Giuliani and Bolton for SOS. The GOP doesn't have big margins, so the cabinet battles could get interesting.

Old 11-16-2016, 07:27 AM   #217
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Rand Paul says he will oppose Giuliani and Bolton for SOS. The GOP doesn't have big margins, so the cabinet battles could get interesting.

I think I much prefer Newt as SOS. Wonder what happened there as the was an early candidate for it.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:31 AM   #218
Edward64
Head Coach

This is one thing I can support Trump on. I'm willing to pay more at the pumps and go into a recession if we achieve the goal of breaking our dependence from the oil cartels. They are building a Disney world from our oil money, our foreign policy is tied to it, and nothing would make me feel better than watching them crater.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/11/16/saudi...l-imports.html
Quote:
In a sign of the difficulties Mr Trump faces over his campaign pledges to create "complete American energy independence" from "our foes and the oil cartels", Saudi Arabia's energy minister pointedly reminded the president-elect that the U.S. "benefits more than anybody else from global free trade", adding, "energy is the lifeblood of the global economy".
Old 11-16-2016, 07:58 AM   #219
JPhillips
General Manager

Oil is a global commodity. Unless you're talking about reinstating the ban on exporting oil, there's no way for the U.S. to be free of OPEC.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #220
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Oil is a global commodity. Unless you're talking about reinstating the ban on exporting oil, there's no way for the U.S. to be free of OPEC.

Why do you say that? Oil shale and fracking will go a long way in independence.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:15 AM   #221
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post

Best way towards independence would be supporting green alternatives obviously - but hey ho, Trump has already indicated he's against any support for such things ..
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:36 AM   #222
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

All of that will go to the highest bidder. Even if we're technically getting all our fossil fuels from the U.S., the price is still set globally and subject to global pressures.
Old 11-16-2016, 10:14 AM   #223
digamma
Torchbearer

Have we ever had a President openly root for a business to fail? I'm thinking of the war on the NY Times here. I'm sure there are industry wide examples (Big Tobacco maybe? Telecom break-up?), but I can't remember a single company target like the tweet storm from DJT.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:14 AM   #224
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Moved a bunch of posts about the Election. Let's try to keep the post-mortem stuff in the election thread and keep this to the Trump transition/Presidency. (Or, even better, CREATE A NEW THREAD FOR POST-MORTEM!!!!)

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 11-16-2016 at 11:18 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:21 AM   #225
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

So now it seems the odds on favorite for Attorney General is Ted Cruz? I guess selling your soul netted you something, Ted.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:38 AM   #226
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
So now it seems the odds on favorite for Attorney General is Ted Cruz? I guess selling your soul netted you something, Ted.
Amazing that Trump would consider a serial liar like Lyin' Ted for such a high position, too!
Old 11-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #227
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

They will just cost more when compared to what it costs to produce over there.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 11:56 AM   #228
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Best way towards independence would be supporting green alternatives obviously

Ah yes, those solar cars are such a reliable option.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:05 PM   #229
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Amazing that Trump would consider a serial liar like Lyin' Ted for such a high position, too!

Well someone has to prosecute the women getting abortions. Ted's a good fit there.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:08 PM   #230
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Lindsey Graham has proposed an alternative for Cruz: SCOTUS. I read this as: Instead of AG, please put him somewhere so I don't have to look at his fucking face ever again.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:35 PM   #231
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Best way towards independence would be supporting green alternatives obviously - but hey ho, Trump has already indicated he's against any support for such things ..

What green alternative gives us energy independence?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:02 PM   #232
Butter
Coordinator

Many green alternatives could eventually lead to a fully renewable energy society. I don't know that there is a single magic bullet, but a mix of many different sources can lead there.

Not researching it at all or remaining as climate change deniers will continue to lead to fossil fuel dependence.

Not only that, but green energy is an industry that can lead to vastly more quality jobs which aren't easily outsourced.

But it is something that takes time and money for research, not something that most governments have the stomach for.

Last edited by Butter : 11-16-2016 at 01:03 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:05 PM   #233
RainMaker
General Manager

Which green alternatives? I just hear this a lot about energy independence and vague platitudes but no one seems to really go into detail on what they are talking about.

Like I'm all for ditching and cutting back on fossil fuels. But this idea that it'll make us independent is silly.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #234
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What green alternative gives us energy independence?

Pretty much any I would have thought - the reliance is on Oil, so electric cars for instance is a move away from that dependence.

Hydrogen vehicles would similarly decrease that dependence there are loads of different approaches which don't require fossil fuels.

On a domestic energy front I'd like to see more investment in solar and wind rather than potentially going back to coal as Trump seems to be interested in doing.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:14 PM   #235
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

FWIW, Cruz was at his best as Texas SG. If I had to put him in one place in the government to maximize his talents and minimize his flaws, it would be as SG.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #236
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

This debate about energy independence is strange. As pointed out, oil is a global commodity subject to global supply and demand. Are we talking price mandates?
Old 11-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #237
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Pretty much any I would have thought - the reliance is on Oil, so electric cars for instance is a move away from that dependence.

Hydrogen vehicles would similarly decrease that dependence there are loads of different approaches which don't require fossil fuels.

On a domestic energy front I'd like to see more investment in solar and wind rather than potentially going back to coal as Trump seems to be interested in doing.

The batteries for electric cars are primarily made in China, Japan, and South Korea. And then you shift from battling over oil to battling over rare earth minerals.

I'm all for changing things because so we aren't pumping a bunch of garbage into the atmosphere, but these changes won't make us independent of other countries. And while I think there are people standing in the way of solar and wind, a big reason why they aren't catching on is they are expensive and just suck.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #238
RainMaker
General Manager

I mean lets say we all switched to electric cars. What happens if China decides to slow down mining for neodymium?
Old 11-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #239
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Being "economically independent" really doesn't work if you want to be a capitalist country. Just about every since economist on Earth will tell you this. This stuff has been known for centuries, since David Ricardo came up with his theory on comparative advantage.

Yeah, countries tried autarky (economic independence) before... recently most notably in the 1930s... right before they were planning on going to war.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:46 PM   #240
Butter
Coordinator

Personally, I don't believe that the point of energy independence should be 100% US sourcing for everything. It should be about finding alternatives to lessen our carbon footprint and free us from a non-renewable resource that will run out in the next century.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:42 PM   #241
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Huh. So apparently when Chris Christie was AG he prosecuted the father of Jared Kushner (Ivanka's husband & the one Donald is trying to get top secret clearance for) and put him in jail for two years. So that adds a little backstory to the purge of Christie & his aides from the transition team once Trump actually started taking it seriously, and makes me think Christie's chances at a cabinet post are lower than thought.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:44 PM   #242
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Crooked Christie shouldn't be near the white house anyways.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:05 PM   #243
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Old 11-16-2016, 06:25 PM   #244
Jas_lov
College Starter

If Trump had picked Crooked Christie as VP back in July would he have still won? All that Bridgegate stuff came out right before the election.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #245
larrymcg421
Head Coach

And now I present to you the Japanese internment camps argument...

For my next trick, I will down an entire bottle of whiskey.

Old 11-16-2016, 11:03 PM   #246
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

Oh, sure, but they said the whole "forced camps" thing was bad when it was supposedly Obama and the UN behind it.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:39 AM   #247
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Yea I saw that segment while on the treadmill at the gym. All I could do was shake my head at any argument that uses internment camps as precedent. Glad Kelly called him out, too.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:57 AM   #248
Ben E Lou

So now word comes that he's looking at Nikki Haley as Secretary Of State. Put Cruz in as Attorney General to go along with that, and if the President-Elect is to be believed, we'd have a Secretary Of State who is "an embarrassment" and an Attorney General who is a serial liar.
Old 11-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #249
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Yea I saw that segment while on the treadmill at the gym. All I could do was shake my head at any argument that uses internment camps as precedent. Glad Kelly called him out, too.

Although at the end she said she was glad to talk to him again. Maybe instead enabling these people, when you call them out on their bullshit, don't then make with the niceties. Tell them to go to hell and they're not welcome back on your show.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #250
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac View Post
Although at the end she said she was glad to talk to him again. Maybe instead enabling these people, when you call them out on their bullshit, don't then make with the niceties. Tell them to go to hell and they're not welcome back on your show.

^^^This please^^^

SMH how folks can sit there straight faced and use the internment camp as a precedent.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote