Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-16-2019, 10:22 PM   #851
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Ramsey is very, very good. I'm with most that it's a head-scratcher of a move for where they are as a franchise, but Ramsey is definitely an incredible CB (top 3 for sure).
I've just seen the stats comparing him to Gilmore over the last 2 seasons.

Gilmore

Games: 22
Targets: 122
Receptions: 54
Completion %: 44
Yards Allowed: 544
TDs Allowed: 4
INTs: 4
PBU: 30
Passer Rating: 54.2

Ramsey

Games: 19
Targets: 152
Receptions: 94
Completion %: 62
Yards Allowed: 1,120
TDs Allowed: 4
INTs: 3
PBU: 14
Passer Rating: 84.87

Granted, I assume most people would also have Gilmore in their top 3 (and it's still insane to think about how bad he was the first 6ish weeks in New England in 2017 when the secondary communication was embarrassingly bad), but those don't scream top 3 CB to me, especially when Ramsey doesn't even follow #1's around in Jacksonville's scheme. Oh well, we'll see how the Rams utilize him.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:58 PM   #852
Arles
Grey Dog Software

First, I think Gilmore is a heck of a corner - but I think you also have to look at the competition. In his 22 games, he's faced:

6 good QBs (27%) - Mahomes, Watson, Luck, Rodgers, Ben twice

2.5 OK QBs (11%) - Stafford, Cousins, 1/2 Josh Allen

9.5 bad QBs (43%) - McCoy, Bortles, Derek Anderson, Mariota, McCown, Tannehill twice, Luke Falk, 1/2 Rosen, 1/2 Fitzmagic, 1/2 Barkley

4 rookie QBs (18%) - Daniel Jones, Trubisky, Josh Allen, Darnold

Compare that to Ramsey who has faced:

10 good QBs (53%) - Mahomes twice, Watson 3 times, Luck twice, Brady, Wentz, Ben

1 OK QB (5%) - Dak

6 bad QBs (32%) - Mariota 3-times, Eli, Josh Johnson, Tannehill

2 rookie QBs (10%) - Josh Allen, Darnold

Gilmore has played 61% of his games against bad QBs or rookies, while only facing good QBs 27% of the time. Ramsey has played just 42% of his games against bad QBs or rookies - while facing good QBs 53% of the time. That's a pretty massive difference in competition quality. While Gilmore can only play against who is on his schedule, facing the likes of Derek Anderson, Luke Falk and Colt McCoy instead of more games against Luck, Wentz and Mahomes has to skew those numbers a bit.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:11 PM   #853
bhlloy
Coordinator

We will see how bad this injury actually is, but am I the only one who thinks that a QB sneak with your MVP QB already carrying an ankle injury is not a very smart idea?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #854
kingfc22
Head Coach

The way Kelce walked away, I don't think it was good
Old 10-17-2019, 08:34 PM   #855
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I’d be shocked if that’s not multiple ligament tears given the fact they had to pop the knee back in place. Everybody knows the QB sneak is coming there whether Mahomes is in the game or not, even though it wasn’t the ankle that just seems nuts to me.

With that being said the Pats seem to run as many sneaks with Brady as anyone and he seems to have had a nice long career, so what do I know. Guess it’s just a freak injury all said and done. I imagine teams might be telling their linemen to be a little more careful diving into the back of their QBs legs on that play moving forward.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:58 PM   #856
wustin
College Prospect

Tom Brady is an outlier when it comes to the QB sneak. It's not fair to compare him with any other QB doing it.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 04:20 PM   #857
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Considering the list of injuries to a quarterback on a quarterback sneak basically now has 1 name on it; no, I don't think it was a bad call.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #858
CarterNMA
Mascot

Has the Giants run defense been bad all season? The Cards are tearing through them right now.
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #859
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Yep, that's the Bears.

3 and out, blocked punt, safety.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #860
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can’t believe they allowed a game to be played on a surface as poor as DC was today.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #861
Atocep
Coordinator

I've seen some bad Bears offenses and this is up there with the worst. We're talking John Shoop days bad.

It's not uncommon for them to not be able to throw the ball, but they can usually run it with at least some success. This line is so bad there's no point in handing it off. So you get to watch Trubisky check down every play and still miss half his throws.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #862
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

To make matters more entertaining.

They paid a huge premium in draft picks to trade up to get Trubisky. And they traded even more picks away to get Montgomery.
Old 10-21-2019, 01:24 AM   #863
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Can’t believe they allowed a game to be played on a surface as poor as DC was today.

The Washington team owner is jockeying for a new stadium - perhaps the condition of the field is connected to that effort. He's a dreadful human.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:05 AM   #864
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Surely this “Lamar Jackson is 15% faster than everyone else “ thing can’t last forever. But I’m pretty close to bandwagon jumping. Being a fan of the Steelers is so rarely fun.
Old 10-21-2019, 02:10 AM   #865
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
The Washington team owner is jockeying for a new stadium - perhaps the condition of the field is connected to that effort. He's a dreadful human.

Fits in well with not trading their star LT who is completely justified in never playing again for them. And it’s not like they’re being offered peanuts for him either. The skins are just vengeful fuckheads
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #866
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

RFK was a great stadium at a wonderful location.

Because Snyder is a reprehensible owner, I am sure that he wants a stadium even farther away from the city than FedEx currently is with even more traffic and parking headaches for the fans.

But I will say that if the final shakedown of everything brings an NFL stadium back into D.C. proper, that would be a pretty big upside to giving into his tantrum.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:43 AM   #867
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
To make matters more entertaining.

They paid a huge premium in draft picks to trade up to get Trubisky. And they traded even more picks away to get Montgomery.
If Pace doesn't trade for Mack the Bears faithful would be calling for his head. That's really the only thing keeping him from being in the same category as Angelo/Emery. His early picks suck - White, Trushitsky, Floyd, Shaheen. He has had some lower round winners - Amos, Howard, Jackson, and maybe Cohen. Maybe. But his overall drafts are not that good. He also hired Nagy the alleged offensive genius. He's no Andy Reid except perhaps in his clock management skill. This team is not as good as last year's on both sides of the ball. The O-line is average at best. And how does Chris Tabor have a job as a ST coach?? The Bears seemed to have figured out the kicker but they forgot about the other two phases. Well, mostly the offense.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #868
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
If Pace doesn't trade for Mack the Bears faithful would be calling for his head. That's really the only thing keeping him from being in the same category as Angelo/Emery. His early picks suck - White, Trushitsky, Floyd, Shaheen. He has had some lower round winners - Amos, Howard, Jackson, and maybe Cohen. Maybe. But his overall drafts are not that good. He also hired Nagy the alleged offensive genius. He's no Andy Reid except perhaps in his clock management skill. This team is not as good as last year's on both sides of the ball. The O-line is average at best. And how does Chris Tabor have a job as a ST coach?? The Bears seemed to have figured out the kicker but they forgot about the other two phases. Well, mostly the offense.

Hey, at least the Bears once again don't have a 1st rounder to screw up next year. Of course, this also means it's at least 2 years until we burn another top pick on a QB.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #869
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Hey, at least the Bears once again don't have a 1st rounder to screw up next year. Of course, this also means it's at least 2 years until we burn another top pick on a QB.

Teddy Bridgewater is 26 years old.

Why wouldn't the Bears just go all in on him this offseason? A conservative QB who knows how to win with a good defense seems like the perfect fit for y'all.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:48 AM   #870
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Teddy Bridgewater is 26 years old.

Why wouldn't the Bears just go all in on him this offseason? A conservative QB who knows how to win with a good defense seems like the perfect fit for y'all.

They've played against him before, haha!

Teddy is a great fit for the Saints or teams that have offensive playmakers like Thomas and Kamara.

I never disliked Teddy as a Vikings QB however he is really only a game manager. If your team is down more than 7 points hes a real struggle to watch. He will just check down the entire 2nd half and help run the clock down because he is so afraid to take any risks.

He can actually throw the ball down the field pretty well so hes hard to understand why he is so afraid of risk. Must have had some conservative coaching growing up.

With that said very few QBs have the ability to put the team on their back and carry them back from huge deficits so maybe he is worth the investment from a team like the bears. Hes not going to lose you games.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-21-2019 at 08:58 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #871
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Just had this discussion at work, too. I'm not putting as much blame on Nagy as far as playcalling goes, as some people.

What are you supposed to call when you have a QB who can't make basic throws, and when you're constantly facing about 35 defenders in the box, because every defensive coordinator knows your QB can't throw?

Last edited by Coffee Warlord : 10-21-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:48 AM   #872
JediKooter
Coordinator

Oh silly Chargers, no matter if in San Diego or Smell-A, the inventive ways you come up with to lose games would make for a Greek Tragedy.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:49 AM   #873
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Just had this discussion at work, too. I'm not putting as much blame on Nagy as far as playcalling goes, as some people.

What are you supposed to call when you have a QB who can't make basic throws, and when you're constantly facing about 35 defenders in the box, because every defensive coordinator knows your QB can't throw?

I'm in the same boat. Nagy didn't pick trubisky and the line is bottom 5 in run blocking. I'm not entirely sure anyone could call plays with this mess.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:11 AM   #874
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
They've played against him before, haha!

Teddy is a great fit for the Saints or teams that have offensive playmakers like Thomas and Kamara.

I never disliked Teddy as a Vikings QB however he is really only a game manager. If your team is down more than 7 points hes a real struggle to watch. He will just check down the entire 2nd half and help run the clock down because he is so afraid to take any risks.

He can actually throw the ball down the field pretty well so hes hard to understand why he is so afraid of risk. Must have had some conservative coaching growing up.

With that said very few QBs have the ability to put the team on their back and carry them back from huge deficits so maybe he is worth the investment from a team like the bears. Hes not going to lose you games.

Charlie Strong? I thought Bridgewater was a pretty dynamic quarterback at Louisville but maybe I am misremembering and mixing his era up with the Lamar Jackson era.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:51 PM   #875
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Charlie Strong? I thought Bridgewater was a pretty dynamic quarterback at Louisville but maybe I am misremembering and mixing his era up with the Lamar Jackson era.

Yeah he put up a nice yards per attempt average his junior year. He was fifth in the nation in adjusted yards per attempt behind Bryce Petty, Jameis Winston, Zach Mettenberger, and Marcus Mariota and was ahead of Johnny Manziel. Also, good call as Charlie Strong was his coach.

I used to think Phillip Rivers was a check down artist as well when he was a younger QB so perhaps Teddy just hasnt played enough to gain confidence in his downfield ability.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:53 PM   #876
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah he put up a nice yards per attempt average his junior year. He was fifth in the nation in adjusted yards per attempt behind Bryce Petty, Jameis Winston, Zach Mettenberger, and Marcus Mariota and was ahead of Johnny Manziel. Also, good call as Charlie Strong was his coach.

I used to think Phillip Rivers was a check down artist as well when he was a younger QB so perhaps Teddy just hasnt played enough to gain confidence in his downfield ability.

It is also clear (to me) that he is running the gameplan that the Saints are giving him. He's being told to err on the side of conservative, so that's what he's doing.

I agree that that also is his natural inclination. But, at least for the past few weeks, it has also been the gameplan.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 PM   #877
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I think Jets-Dolphins has to get a MNF nod.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:22 PM   #878
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

Only if they change the MNF intro theme to Benny Hill.
Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 PM   #879
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Only if they change the MNF intro theme to Benny Hill.

They coulda done that by halftime tonight lol.

(Game was on while I was at dinner, Q1 reminded me of nothing so much as one of those high school mismatches that happen now & then. It was so glaring that I actually checked the score a few times during the night just to see how bad it got)
Old 10-22-2019, 01:19 AM   #880
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Steelers/Dolphins next week. Game will probably be 9-3 or something.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:13 AM   #881
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Mohammad Sanu to the Pats for a 2nd round pick. The Falcons did well on that one. The sell-off has begun.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 06:45 AM   #882
miked
College Starter

In the "how many Rutgers players can a team have", I expect Kenny Britt to come out of retirement and sign with the Pats next week.

Ironically, at one point in the 2nd quarter Darnold had a Rutgers QB line of 2/6 for 6 yards and 2 picks. Even more ironically, those 2 picks were by Rutgers players.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:03 AM   #883
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Mohammad Sanu to the Pats for a 2nd round pick. The Falcons did well on that one. The sell-off has begun.

Win/win trade. Sanu isn't worth a second, so the Falcons got good value.

The Pats have a historically good team and moved aggressively to shore up a weakness and were willing to overpay a bit to make sure they got the guy they wanted.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #884
bob
College Starter

Winning or not, the Falcons had to do something before next season. Prior to the trade:

"The 1-6 Atlanta Falcons have 74% of the 2020 cap invested in their 10 most expensive players and 99% of the cap invested in 22 players. They are $18.3 million over the projected 2020 salary cap."
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:37 AM   #885
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
In the "how many Rutgers players can a team have", I expect Kenny Britt to come out of retirement and sign with the Pats next week.

Ironically, at one point in the 2nd quarter Darnold had a Rutgers QB line of 2/6 for 6 yards and 2 picks. Even more ironically, those 2 picks were by Rutgers players.

And then I look at Rutgers these days and cry. Like we sold our souls for a few years of Schiano and now not only are we back to pre-Schiano records, but all our best players are playing for the Patriots... ugh.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #886
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Win/win trade. Sanu isn't worth a second, so the Falcons got good value.

The Pats have a historically good team and moved aggressively to shore up a weakness and were willing to overpay a bit to make sure they got the guy they wanted.
"2nd round pick" does seem quite high, but I assume us having 3 3rd's & that pick being in the 60's factored in too.

It'll be interesting to see how they use Sanu. He seems like he could fit as a boundary guy if Gordon is still out and N'Keal Harry isn't ready (and yeah, the biggest downside of this trade is what it says about their internal evaluation of Harry even when healthy), but he might be much better as a slot guy, even though it'll completely go against type to have a slot WR who isn't white & undersized
Quote:
I don't think the Jets with Darnold are nearly that bad. In his two games they lost to the Bills by 1 & beat the Cowboys. This Patriots defense has played some cupcakes for sure, but oh man they're good & fun to watch. It helped that we were up 26-0, but the refs called a borderline PI vs the Patriots on like 3rd & 17 & my first thought was "YES, can't wait to see the defense play more." And sure enough they picked the ball off (again) 3 plays later. I'm excited we finally get to play 6 real offenses in a row now & we can see if this defense is merely really good & opportunistic or historically elite.

Flexing December's Bengals/Dolphins clash to Sunday night is still a possibility...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
And then I look at Rutgers these days and cry. Like we sold our souls for a few years of Schiano and now not only are we back to pre-Schiano records, but all our best players are playing for the Patriots... ugh.
How'd they sell their soul for Schiano? (And even if so Rutgers wouldn't be in the Big Ten otherwise, so it was worth it.)

I also assume he'll be back next season.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #887
Izulde
Head Coach

Emmanuel Sanders and 2020 5th round pick dealt from Denver to 49ers for 2020 3rd and 4th round selections

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:53 PM   #888
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Diggs traded to Seattle. Oh wait, wrong Diggs. Lol
Old 10-23-2019, 12:50 PM   #889
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Patrick Mahomes is in practice today. This guy must be made of metal.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:55 PM   #890
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Patrick Mahomes is in practice today. This guy must be made of metal.

Hull FC's Joe Westerman dislocates kneecap and hits it back into place! - YouTube
Old 10-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #891
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
It'll be interesting to see how they use Sanu. He seems like he could fit as a boundary guy if Gordon is still out and N'Keal Harry isn't ready (and yeah, the biggest downside of this trade is what it says about their internal evaluation of Harry even when healthy),
... or their evaluation of Josh Gordon's health
Old 10-23-2019, 06:40 PM   #892
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Lions placing Kerryon Johnson on IR with a knee injury for the second year in a row probably moves him from having the offense built around him this season to the top of the Lions RB trash heap of the 2000s.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 01:42 PM   #893
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I thought it was a decoy until I saw him warming up today...

Pat Mahomes Thursday Warmup
Old 10-24-2019, 02:51 PM   #894
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Lions placing Kerryon Johnson on IR with a knee injury for the second year in a row probably moves him from having the offense built around him this season to the top of the Lions RB trash heap of the 2000s.

For a team that really wanted to focus on running the ball this year, I was very confused as to why the Lions did not go out and sign or draft a legit RB2 or even RB 1.B this year to platoon along with Kerryon, who has a long injury history.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #895
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
For a team that really wanted to focus on running the ball this year, I was very confused as to why the Lions did not go out and sign or draft a legit RB2 or even RB 1.B this year to platoon along with Kerryon, who has a long injury history.

If you hear a coach talking about wanting to focus on the running the ball they are outdated in their thinking and probably dont have much clue on what they are doing. Vikings arent any different. They will be good enough to beat up on the weaklings of the league but wont be able to beat the modern teams that realize passing and stopping the pass is what wins games.
Old 10-24-2019, 07:24 PM   #896
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
If you hear a coach talking about wanting to focus on the running the ball they are outdated in their thinking and probably dont have much clue on what they are doing. Vikings arent any different. They will be good enough to beat up on the weaklings of the league but wont be able to beat the modern teams that realize passing and stopping the pass is what wins games.

I'm not sure they're wrong (perhaps in the way that they mean it, but also not necessarily wrong). I agree that you generally need a very good to elite quarterback and a good passing game. But I don't think by any means you need a prolific passing offence. More so, a balanced offence is probably preferred. Sometimes that may mean running the ball more often. That doesn't mean running all the time, nor running all the time on first and second down. I think this might be what you are talking about and also where old school coaches are getting it wrong. Sometimes the pass should be setting up the run. Balance is really the key.

I'll leave the following stats with the caveat that I know teams that are winning are more likely to be running the ball late in the game. But the following shows the Super Bowl teams from the last 6 years, followed by their rank in total offensive plays, rank in pass attempts and rank in rushing attempts.

NEP 2 / 11 / 3
LAR 4 / 14 / 8
PHI 3 / 13 / 6
NEP 4 / 7 / 11
NEP 7 / 23 / 3
ATL 26 / 26 / 12
DEN 10 / 13/ 17
CAR 8 / 27 / 1
NEP 5 / 7 / 13
SEA 14 / 32 / 2
SEA 29 / 31 / 2
DEN 1/ 1 / 11
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #897
cuervo72
Head Coach

So Aikman just said YPA was "misleading." Right-o.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:02 PM   #898
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Did a former QB(Aikman) just say hes not so sure about the yards per attempt stat for QBs? I mean isnt the entire objective to gain as many yards as possible in the least amount of attempts limiting turnovers, penalties, and 0 yard plays that end drives?
Old 10-24-2019, 08:06 PM   #899
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
I'm not sure they're wrong (perhaps in the way that they mean it, but also not necessarily wrong). I agree that you generally need a very good to elite quarterback and a good passing game. But I don't think by any means you need a prolific passing offence. More so, a balanced offence is probably preferred. Sometimes that may mean running the ball more often. That doesn't mean running all the time, nor running all the time on first and second down. I think this might be what you are talking about and also where old school coaches are getting it wrong. Sometimes the pass should be setting up the run. Balance is really the key.

I'll leave the following stats with the caveat that I know teams that are winning are more likely to be running the ball late in the game. But the following shows the Super Bowl teams from the last 6 years, followed by their rank in total offensive plays, rank in pass attempts and rank in rushing attempts.

NEP 2 / 11 / 3
LAR 4 / 14 / 8
PHI 3 / 13 / 6
NEP 4 / 7 / 11
NEP 7 / 23 / 3
ATL 26 / 26 / 12
DEN 10 / 13/ 17
CAR 8 / 27 / 1
NEP 5 / 7 / 13
SEA 14 / 32 / 2
SEA 29 / 31 / 2
DEN 1/ 1 / 11

I agree with balance being important so you can run out the clock late in games. I just wonder what them numbers would look like in just the 1st half? I think the more modern approach teams believe in building leads quickly. Just been listening to more Warren Sharp stuff which are backed by numbers and the successful teams stay ahead on the yardage on 1st and 2nd down limiting the 3rd and longs. Running on 1st and 2nd down just seems like a losing battle these days. When a team is expecting a run in 2019 it seems the defense has a huge advantage over the offense. How often do we see 3rd and 1's in the 4th quarter get stuffed these days when a team is trying to run out the clock? My guess is more than 50 percent of the time.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-24-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:22 AM   #900
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
The Patriots did pretty well during last year's playoffs while focusing on running the ball... (I'm also pretty sure "DC" Mike Zimmer focuses on stopping the pass, but whatever.)

NFL coaching when done right is all about scheming a 1v1 mismatch (or a hole in coverage) somewhere & then exploiting it. Sometime it involves a quick player, sometimes it involves power, sometimes if you have a guy like Dalvin Cook it's just getting him into any 1v1 matchup in space.