Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2010, 08:33 PM   #201
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

You know, I've always had a thing for Julia Stiles. But that woman just gets hotter and hotter.

Last edited by jeff061 : 10-25-2010 at 08:34 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:42 PM   #202
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
You know, I've always had a thing for Julia Stiles. But that woman just gets hotter and hotter.

Yes, she does. Always one of my favorites.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #203
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm hoping Quinn's old cop friend kills LaGuerta. This episode redeemed the season for me.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM   #204
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Shit a brick and fuck me with it

I don't think Deb's ever going to top that one.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:16 PM   #205
Jas_lov
College Starter

This season is probably the worst of the 5, but last week's episode was the best of the season so hopefully that means it's picking up. I haven't liked Julia Stiles much, but she was good last episode when she watched Dexter kill Cole. Also, Laguerta screwing over Deb finally makes the side story somewhat interesting.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #206
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I still think this season is easily best of the 5 . I liked the other seasons enough to watch, but there were just so many "eyeroll" moments that killed a lot of it for me. Beyond Laguerta and Angel on occasion I haven't really gotten that vibe for once.

And Julia Stiles.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #207
Bad-example
College Starter

So, who's gonna die?

Lumen
Robocop
LaGuerta
The Babysitter
Bad-example is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM   #208
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I stumbled across the IMDB credits in week 2 and noticed one of the characters were only credited for ten episodes. Still kicking myself. So I won't spoil.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 PM   #209
chadritt
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
I stumbled across the IMDB credits in week 2 and noticed one of the characters were only credited for ten episodes. Still kicking myself. So I won't spoil.

That stuff doesnt mean all that much usually. Ive definitely been credited for episodes of shows I didnt work on and not credited for shows I did. IMDB is not 100% reliable when it gets that specific.

ETA: According to IMDB Julia Styles is done so I really wouldnt trust these entries so much it ruins your viewing experience.

Last edited by chadritt : 11-23-2010 at 09:00 PM.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:07 PM   #210
molson
General Manager

I just finished season 4 - I started the series sometime after season 4 actually aired, and wasn't able to catchup in time to watch season 5 on showtime. It doesn't look like I have any (legal) options to catchup now, unless Showtime re-reruns season 5 episodes at some point (it looks like the only go a few back at the moment).

Loved season 4, despite the warts. It was fun just now reading all predictions and thoughts here throughout that season.

I did just see the trailer for season 5 - I'm not convinced Dexter didn't off Rita (without being consciously aware of it), after his father was talking to him about "freeing his family" towards the end of season 4.

If anybody knows of any legal season 5 viewing options for the start of the season, I'd love a pm - obviously I can't come back here and be spoiled.

Last edited by molson : 11-27-2010 at 06:10 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:31 AM   #211
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

I am really enjoying this season so far much more than the last two. That being said I am not sure how I feel about the ending of tonight's episode. I guess the last two episodes will decide that.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #212
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts on the final?

I think maybe the whole thing is way too easy, and maybe they are more interested in seeing seasons 6 and 7 rather than pursuing a good ending.

Anyways, Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are getting divorced, which should be a even weirder dynamic.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:06 PM   #213
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, pretty basic ending. I didn't think it was bad. Just not memorable.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #214
Travis
Pro Rookie

I had hoped this season would revive my interest in the show, but hole after hole and convenience after convenience as far as the writing is concerned has overridden the quality acting they get every season (pretty much all their main villains have done fantastic jobs).

This finale just had me eye rolling entirely too often to take seriously and while I may soften my stance by the time next season starts, well, imho it's really sad how far the show has fallen compared to the first few seasons.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #215
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

Anyways, Michael C Hall and Jennifer Carpenter are getting divorced, which should be a even weirder dynamic.

I hadn't heard that yet. He's had a rough go of it lately... Cancer, Divorce... no wonder he ended up a serial killer.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #216
Bad-example
College Starter

I really didn't care for Peter Weller's character and am glad he's gone for good. Not his best work. Lumen surviving qualifies as a big surprise in my book. LaGuerta continues to draw breath and the suffering of the viewers continues.

A solid season. Still one of the best shows going.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:37 AM   #217
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

During the first few seasons I disliked most the characters for the same reasons as LaGuerta. Really detracted from the show for me. Over the last couple this has gotten much better and I've enjoyed the show far more because of it.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #218
molson
General Manager

I just caught up with season 5, and have thus finished off the entire series in about 6 months.

Season 5 was a less careful about plot holes and suspension of disbelief, and I can forgive that.

The season 4 ending really wasn't the game-changer for the series it felt like at the time. That last episode of season 4, and the first episode of 5 (and the season 5 trailer) made it appear this would be a season-long public suspicion of Dexter, who was going to an even darker place with the death of his wife. It was kind of disappointing they didn't go that way.

I don't think Julia Styles is a good actress at all. I think another actress could have absolutely killed that role. Maybe they were just foccused on getting the biggest name possible.

But the good for me, was very good. There was a tension build throughout the season, and I thought the last 3 episodes were some of the best of series. I was so wrapped up in things I actually bought into every tease of Dexter being revealed/caught. But then, all of that rising tension came to a crashing halt in the climax of the season - Deb catching up to Dexter and Styles but letting them go, and not even getting a look at them. It was then that I realized that this was just going to be another self-contained season, and that we'd kick of season 6 basically with everything back to normal. Which is kind of dissapointment. (I don't know if there would have been a good way to actually go through with a Deb reveal going forward, but it would have blown me away in a good way if they tried.)

The Quinn stuff was wrapped up too tidely for my liking too. So he knows Dexter's a murderer. I guess that creates tension going forward but I don't buy his reasons for keeping quiet at all (And it's odd that Dexter didn't seem all that concerned about it.)

It seems like at the end of the day, for me, they pushed some envelopes that were legitimately exciting, but in doing so they wrote themselves into a corner and really had to be a little ridiculous to get everything back to the status quo. Disappointing for a show that feels like it should be taking risks. I mean, a show about a likeable serial killer playing it safe? Meh.

Still can't wait for next season though.

Last edited by molson : 01-06-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #219
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is still my favorite show but this season just didn't deliver like other season had. When I think back to the first 3 seasons and just how solid they were I long for that, I may need to watch season 2 next week. That was IMO the best.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 PM   #220
hoopsguy
General Manager

Just got done watching the first two seasons of this on Netflix instant - blew through them in about a week. Going to be a much slower grind getting through the rest now that I have to wait for the disks to arrive in the mail, but I certainly will be doing so over the next couple of months.

I thought Season 2 was significantly better than Season 1, and Season 1 was pretty darn good. But Season 2 was much more unpredictable to me in terms of the "next shoe to drop" and I thought that the characters remained true to themselves while taking different directions. If this was where the show diverted from the book then the (show) writers should be really proud of themselves for what they were able to craft.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #221
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Season 2 was amazing, just awesome stuff.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #222
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Old 07-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #223
molson
General Manager

Certainly not as compelling as last season's teasers, but maybe it will be good for the show to get back to the basics.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:29 PM   #224
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I hope so, last season was pretty much the worst one so far.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #225
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can't wait for Sunday.
Old 09-28-2011, 07:34 PM   #226
RainMaker
General Manager

I got through all 5 seasons this summer and realized I get Showtime although I don't pay for it. So I've got this on the DVR along with the Homeland show after.

Did not like last season as much as the others. Hoping this one gets back to basics as well.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:45 PM   #227
stevew
Hall Of Famer

http://www.sho.com/site/order/rebate...&KeepThis=true

Last edited by stevew : 10-02-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #228
molson
General Manager

Slightly off-topic but it does seem movie channels are getting a lot cheaper and desperate. With Dexter on the way, I've re-signed up for Showtime, which included Starz, and TMC, and Encore, which is something like 30 channels and on-demand stuff. I wonder if I could be organized enough to harness what's there to replace Netflix (or cut Netflix to 1-DVD out at a time).
Old 10-02-2011, 02:31 PM   #229
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I got SHO, HBO and Skinimax for 19.99/month
Old 10-02-2011, 06:44 PM   #230
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so fucking excited!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #231
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Great time for my TV's audio to decide to finally break once and for all (and stupid me for not getting it fixed the second it started acting up), so I can't watch tonight. And of course Showtime is the last premium network not to stream their stuff online for subscribers. Fuck them with a rusty pitchfork.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 10-02-2011 at 07:26 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #232
Jas_lov
College Starter

The first two episodes have been ok. I like Mos Def's character and Masuka's intern. The worst scenes have been with the 2 main villians- Edward James Olmos and that other kid. If Deb and Quinn don't get back together it should be a good season.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #233
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should have resolved this show last season. All I'm hoping for now is a good reveal arc with Deb, and LaGuerta on Dex's table(and the sooner the fucking better).
Old 10-14-2011, 04:00 AM   #234
Bad-example
College Starter

Spoiler
Old 10-14-2011, 11:04 AM   #235
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Spoiler

Did we not see him sitting in a driver's seat of a car? Also, he didn't know where Hanks was when Hanks visited his sister. That has to suggest reality, right?
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:22 PM   #236
RainMaker
General Manager

Am I the only one who thinks the show has gotten bad? I loved the first few seasons but just not feeling it anymore. Rita was annoying near the end but she was one of the only real characters on the show.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 PM   #237
Travis
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the show has gotten bad? I loved the first few seasons but just not feeling it anymore. Rita was annoying near the end but she was one of the only real characters on the show.

The writing isn't nearly as tight as it was the first few seasons but they continue to hit home runs when it comes to casting/performances and it's helped them get by. I'm hoping the writing comes back around and/or they stop trying to prolong the show and hit the remaining "major" storylines (ie: Debra finding out).

I do wonder if we'll ever even hear mention of the other kids this season or if they've essentially disappeared forever.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #238
molson
General Manager

The dialogue sounds a bit like Dexter fans writing Dexter dialogue, but I'm not worried yet.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:18 AM   #239
RainMaker
General Manager

My problem is that outside of Dexter, all the other characters (and actors to an extent are bad). They are all incredibly one dimensional and unfortunately, I don't give a shit about any of them. I don't care about LaGuerta's issues with her boss. Batista doesn't really seem to fit into anything and sort of just bounces around like a useless character. Deb has just repeated her same lines for 5 seasons now.

Rita wasn't my favorite, but she was at least somewhat complex. They did try and turn her into a generic nagging wife after the 1st season (in which she was an incredible character). But unless the show has an incredible actor playing the villian now like Jon Lithgow, it's just turning re-hashing the same storyline with the same characters acting the same way.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #240
Landshark44
High School Varsity

I'm not really liking this season as much as the others. Plot seems to be forcing the whole religion angle, and everything just seems totally contrived. You guys liking it?
Landshark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #241
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
My problem is that outside of Dexter, all the other characters (and actors to an extent are bad). They are all incredibly one dimensional and unfortunately, I don't give a shit about any of them. I don't care about LaGuerta's issues with her boss. Batista doesn't really seem to fit into anything and sort of just bounces around like a useless character. Deb has just repeated her same lines for 5 seasons now.

Rita wasn't my favorite, but she was at least somewhat complex. They did try and turn her into a generic nagging wife after the 1st season (in which she was an incredible character). But unless the show has an incredible actor playing the villian now like Jon Lithgow, it's just turning re-hashing the same storyline with the same characters acting the same way.

This is pretty much how I'm feeling these days. I don't give a shit about any of the other characters, and honestly...I'm starting to give less of a shit about Dexter and kind of secretly eagerly awaiting the finale where he presumably gets caught by the department.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:12 PM   #242
Schmidty
Coordinator

I think this season's been very entertaining so far, but I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to shows that are at least halfway decent.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 PM   #243
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I like the Mos Def character quite a bit. Colin Hanks and Stand & Deliver are a horrible team and I hope their storyline resolves quickly. I think they are maybe alluding to Dex and Deb hooking up, although I'm probably reading too much into it.

Last edited by stevew : 10-24-2011 at 10:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:58 PM   #244
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think they are maybe alluding to Dex and Deb hooking up, although I'm probably reading too much into it.

Wait, what!! You mean like hooking up together? I don't see that at all. I'm thinking Deb is gonna start banging the chicago cop.
TML
Old 10-25-2011, 01:09 AM   #245
korme
Go Reds

Quinn and Batista getting high was maybe the funniest segment in Dexter's six season history
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:16 AM   #246
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think the Chicago cop is gay.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:42 PM   #247
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn't see that coming.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #248
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So....is Gellar real? I think that he probably is, but I could also see Travis having a split personality. As far as being chained up, that could easily be explained away. This season is growing on me. Was interesting that they brought back Rudy/Brian/itk for an episode.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #249
Johnny93g
College Starter

I'm in the Gellar is dead and Colin Hanks is batshit crazy boat.
TML
Old 11-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #250
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I don't see how Gellar isn't alive.