Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-15-2009, 12:48 PM   #1
Subby
lolzcat

Monopoly City Streets

FOFC Alliance

Basic Agreement - someone messes with one of the members of our alliance, we band together to destroy their property. Otherwise we refrain from placing hazards on opponents' property.

If someone needs help, just post in this thread with your screenie.

Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com

Last edited by Subby : 09-18-2009 at 02:13 PM.
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #2
headtrauma
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
jacktacular fucksnort

~
headtrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
MJ4H
Coordinator

amen to that
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Neat interface.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
DanGarion
Coordinator

Would be awesome if I could actually buy a street someone didn't own...
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #6
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
Would be awesome if I could actually buy a street someone didn't own...

Hopefully you aren't making the mistake I was making for a while. There do seem to be a lot of blue streets but at the same time, I figured I couldn't buy when clicking on a street (after buying my first one) failed to bring up the purchase menu. I forgot that after you search for a location, you have to click on one of the menu options in the bottom row in order to get pricing for purchases.

Probably not what you were doing but figured I'd throw it out there since someone would probably get frustrated by the same mistake at some point.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:06 PM   #7
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hopefully you aren't making the mistake I was making for a while. There do seem to be a lot of blue streets but at the same time, I figured I couldn't buy when clicking on a street (after buying my first one) failed to bring up the purchase menu. I forgot that after you search for a location, you have to click on one of the menu options in the bottom row in order to get pricing for purchases.

Probably not what you were doing but figured I'd throw it out there since someone would probably get frustrated by the same mistake at some point.

But ti seemed that the only streets listed are those that people already own...? Why can't I just click on a street that isn't blue and buy it, I have to look at a list... Weird...

Last edited by DanGarion : 09-15-2009 at 05:07 PM.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
But ti seemed that the only streets listed are those that people already own...?

Possible if you're looking in a super hot area I guess but it sounds kind of like you're having problems deciphering the map correctly the same way I did.

You use the Search function to call up a map & zoom down to a level where the small streets are visible.
Then click on "Buy Streets" (the money stack icon at the bottom), followed by doubleclicking on the street you're interested in. What should happen then (although sometimes it does seem to be slow to react or you have to move the map around a little bit) is that a popup box will appear on the right, listing names & prices for all the buyable streets on that map screen. The ones other people own appear in blue, the ones unowned seem to be white or yellow.

THEN click on the name of the street in the box that you're interested in & that should bring up a deed (and a msg about anything in purple being available to buy).
Old 09-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #9
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

This site just pwned my computer...Will try again later
Old 09-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #10
Subby
lolzcat

Decent overview of how to plan your pre re-launch strategy.

Game Reset Strategy
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Last edited by Subby : 09-16-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:14 PM   #11
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Looks neat -- I'm up for joining an FOFC alliance.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:05 PM   #12
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Looks neat -- I'm up for joining an FOFC alliance.

so how would we go about setting up the alliance?

do we need to pick a place now before the "reset" tomorrow?
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #13
Galaxy
Coordinator

I'm galaxy84.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #14
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm omnivore
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
Schmidty
Coordinator

I'd play, but all it does is stick at "loading" whenever I try to buy a new street.

If I do ever get in, my name is msuspartanfan.

Last edited by Schmidty : 09-16-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:12 AM   #16
JeeberD
General Manager

Count me in if an alliance forms...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:50 AM   #17
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnDvls View Post
so how would we go about setting up the alliance?

do we need to pick a place now before the "reset" tomorrow?

I would think that's what we'd have to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 10:59 AM   #18
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sounds good.

By reseting, you start from the beginning, correct (no one owns any land, $3 million in the bank)?

What would be the key to setting an area?

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-17-2009 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
Subby
lolzcat

The key is to find a high concentration of 1 million dollar roads in non-populous areas.

CANADA.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #20
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

Can someone scout out a good area so tomorrow when the game opens we can decend on said area and snap up the streets?

We'll need 10-15 $1M streets I guess
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So do we all need to pick the same general area?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #22
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
The key is to find a high concentration of 1 million dollar roads in non-populous areas.

CANADA.

Toronto?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #23
Galaxy
Coordinator

Dola....

What time does it "open"?
Old 09-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #24
Subby
lolzcat

This just in:

Q: How does daily tax work?

A: There is only one certainty in MONOPOLY City Streets. Tax. Just like in real life, tax now plays an integral part of the game. Tax works as follows: The first 5 streets owned are not taxed. Thereafter the current tax rate is 3% PER STREET you own. For example, if you own 15 streets your tax will be 30% of your total rent collected every day. If you own 25 streets your tax will be 60%. Remember, at 38 streets you will effectively be taxed 100% and so won’t be making any profit and your bank balance won’t increase.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #25
Subby
lolzcat

Even more important that you add million dollar streets as quickly as you can, while staying away from the less productive roads.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:14 PM   #26
Subby
lolzcat

In retrospect we probably don't need to be near each other. Maybe down the road we can descend on a mutually agreed upon locale.

The main aim of the coalition should be protection. Basically, if someone Fs with someone in the group, we unleash Hell.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #27
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
In retrospect we probably don't need to be near each other. Maybe down the road we can descend on a mutually agreed upon locale.

The main aim of the coalition should be protection. Basically, if someone Fs with someone in the group, we unleash Hell.

I don't think we need to be in the same location.

But as you noted, it would be like a NATO alliance. Attack one in the group, the rest will respond. However, the alliance could have bigger benefits. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It would also allow us to do two things:
1) Trade/purchase. Say your in a city with a person who won't deal with you, maybe you can try to work something out with a FOFC partner (without your rival knowing who it is) to try to acquire that property (ies) for you, then turn around and trade it to you.

2) It gives us access to a larger pool of capital to work it. Even thought we each have $3 million to start with, we would have a lot more money between us. If one person has a chance to pick up a property that would be valuable and needed a loan, one of us could step up. Development money? Same thing. Or as I noted in the first fact, it gives a lot more trade value.

Last edited by Galaxy : 09-17-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:53 PM   #28
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

sounds like a cool game. will check it out later if there's a lil alliance-thang goin on.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #29
BillyNYC
High School JV

Am in.

Last week, was exploring random places. The game is not just North America, so as far as finding $1M clusters there are more options. I had a $1M street in suburban Oslo for example (just for the hell of it; also had a small street in Guam because it's Guam).

If I understand the tax and other rules correctly, seems the starting strategy would be to buy two $1M streets and build on them (to get cards and more rent right away). Perhaps leave some money over so that the next day, you'd have money to buy another $1M street/improvements. I forget how much money you get each day.

For me, the tax rule takes away some of the fun. I liked having a tiny $100k bridge over a canal in Venice in my portfolio. Now that would count towards the tax, no real reason to purchase small streets.
BillyNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How does daily tax work? ... If you own 25 streets your tax will be 60%. Remember, at 38 streets you will effectively be taxed 100% and so won’t be making any profit and your bank balance won’t increase.

Eh, nice way to drain a lot of the fun I had playing around with it away. I had picked up several small streets that I had personal associations with but that weren't situated in a way that were going to be highly profitable given the way the money was structured. This seems to force players into finding the longest streets in the highest dollar locations & away from getting into the vast depth that the mapping provided.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #31
Subby
lolzcat

""Mr Monopoly said...

Wow the improvements are awesome. It limits 1 account per IP and you can only trade a property once a day.

Also, some of the longer streets are now worth $2m-$3m.

The new instant messaging feature is coool! Thanks for your hard work!"

So some of our earmarked super-streets will use up all our budget on day 1.."

Old 09-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #32
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And now they kill families playing & competing with each other (first game ever that my wife & I both thought might be interesting).

They probably ought to just tinker with this enough to figure out how to turn it into a facebook game & set a five street limit on people (and remove the IP restriction) if they're going to kill it this way.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-17-2009 at 03:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #33
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Eh, nice way to drain a lot of the fun I had playing around with it away. I had picked up several small streets that I had personal associations with but that weren't situated in a way that were going to be highly profitable given the way the money was structured. This seems to force players into finding the longest streets in the highest dollar locations & away from getting into the vast depth that the mapping provided.

I agree. Seems like it's kill the concept of Monopoly. To build the largest, most valuable real estate empire.

I'm guessing they are doing to allow the most people to play. However, I think you could find a better way to do that.
Old 09-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #34
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I agree. Seems like it's kill the concept of Monopoly. To build the largest, most valuable real estate empire.

I'm guessing they are doing to allow the most people to play. However, I think you could find a better way to do that.

Yeah - I'm going to try this out still, but this new tax is just stupid. There's no incentive to buy the smaller streets.

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 09-17-2009, 08:59 PM   #35
Galaxy
Coordinator

I think a better way would be to introduce a system similar to the US income tax system.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:19 AM   #36
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Y'know, this game is scheduled to last (according to the terms & conditions page) until sometime in December. It's free, it's not brain surgery, and the fate of the world does not rest on the property choices I make. Might as well enjoy myself, silly design decisions be damned.

So I now have $0 in the bank but own the following streets:
1) Spartan Lane in Athens, GA (where my son's school is located, nice long street too). $1 million+ cost

2) Volunteer Blvd in Knoxville, TN (which surrounds the UT campus on three sides. Decent length at $1 million+ cost.

3) Bobby Dodd Way NW in Atlanta (gee, guess what stadium this little street runs past?). $354k

4) Peyton Manning Pass in Knoxville, just 4 orange cones in size probably one of the smallest streets in the game anyone will ever buy. But for $139k in (literally) Monopoly money I've already gotten a chuckle out of owning it.

Stuck 4 houses & a bonus building (my second Chance card, the first was a 10% coupon code for hasbrotoyshop.com) on Spartan Lane and I'm finished for day one.

edit to add: I'm "NoDawgsAllowed" in-game after it told me my first name choice was inappropriate. Not sure what the robocensor didn't like about "BehindEnemyLines" which is the handle I've been using since shortly after moving to Athens.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-18-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:38 AM   #37
Subby
lolzcat

Definite change in game mechanics upon restart.

I'll add names and property owned in the first post.

DC was basically sold out when I logged in this morning, so I went to my neck of the woods and found a long street for about 1.44m. Building as many green houses on there as I can.

Game name: JoeShue

Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 AM   #38
Subby
lolzcat

Just finished building - bad luck.

Hit with two fines worth $370k total, which is seven less houses that I could build, which will cost close to 500k in revenue. Didn't get any bonus building chance cards at all, so now my street sits with 23 buildings and zero protection.

So my street (Old Chesterbrook Rd, McLean, VA) has 23 houses at 70k per day rent. When I log in tomorrow should have 2.6m waiting for me. As long as I don't get sabotaged.

Last edited by Subby : 09-18-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:24 AM   #39
wade moore
lolzcat

Is there a tactical advantage to lots of small houses?

Quote:
Old 09-18-2009, 09:26 AM   #40
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post

Shit, I see..

building bulldozed.

Damn. Lots of money down the drain.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #41
Castlerock
High School Varsity

Game name: castlerock
Castlerock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 AM   #42
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Jesus. Found a stretch of highway that goes for 12.5 mill.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #43
wade moore
lolzcat

Anyway:

International Blvd. (Should be Mooretown Rd., But the label is wrong) - Williamsburg, VA 1.712M
N. Boundary St. - Williamsburg, VA .773M - 6 City Centre Cottages

Quote:
Old 09-18-2009, 09:28 AM   #44
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

And I'm coffeewarlord (no spaces) in game. I shall commence my goal of taking over Galesburg (IL). If anyone has a hazard/demolish they wanna get rid of, feel free to destroy any competition in that town.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #45
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

They also pay back in rent quicker (on a good street, 1 days rent on the house pays back your initial investment & with profit) which is important for acquisitions at this early stage. Long term they don't pay off as well as the bigger ones but right now every dollar seems pretty precious.

edit to add: It also appears that there's a random opportunity to get a Chance card with every purchase, so you should get more of them by buying a dozen $50k houses than from eight $75k houses.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 09-18-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:30 AM   #46
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Definitely.

The greenhouses (50k) have great ROI. If you look at the prices and rents, it's easy to see that 4 green houses will return more than the 200k building (additionally, bigger building take up more space, so not only do that not earn as much in relation to price, you can't build as many.)

The other advantage to small houses is that they fill up your street more quickly, making it more difficult for opponents to sabotage your property.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:33 AM   #47
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
If anyone has a hazard/demolish they wanna get rid of, feel free to destroy any competition in that town.
I am just clicking discard on all of my demolish cards right now. I want to fly under the radar and make money - no interest in making enemies at this point.

Old 09-18-2009, 11:33 AM   #48
Gary Gorski
Wolverine Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I think a better way would be to introduce a system similar to the US income tax system.

This may be the only time these words have even been spoken/posted
Old 09-18-2009, 11:35 AM   #49
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Definitely.

The greenhouses (50k) have great ROI. If you look at the prices and rents, it's easy to see that 4 green houses will return more than the 200k building (additionally, bigger building take up more space, so not only do that not earn as much in relation to price, you can't build as many.)

The other advantage to small houses is that they fill up your street more quickly, making it more difficult for opponents to sabotage your property.

Yeah - tbh I really didn't think it through.

Lesson learned.

Quote:
Old 09-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #50
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

If I discard a chance card, does that mean I save it for later or that I can never use it? I got a demolish card, but not sure if I want to use it right now.