Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

1960 Green Bay Packers (PFS Dynasty)

After a pretty successful dynasty with the 1950 Jacksonville Jaguars (that got mysteriously corrupted on my computer), I decided to try to go again, this time with the 1960 Green Bay Packers. I actually started this league in 1950, but let 10 years play out to see where the league was. Some historical information:

As you can see, the Green Packers have been pretty successful in the past, but have not won a title. Actually last season, we played in the Super Bowl, but lost to the Indianapolis Colts. So we will keep plugging away until we get there. The dominant team of the 1950's was surprising the Seattle Seahawks.

Dolemite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Quarterbacks:

After our QB for 8 years (QB Y.A. Tittle) abruptly (and I mean VERY abruptly) retired after the 1958 season, we were stuck with a very bad backup QB and no hope of obtaining a good QB in the draft or Free Agency (due to salary cap constraints). So we traded one of our QB's and a 3rd round pick to the Kansas City Chiefs (who had 3 really good QB's) for QB Sonny Jurgensen. Here is QB Sonny Jurgensen's Player card and Career stats:

Not quite the beast QB Y.A. Tittle was, but he did lead us to the Super Bowl last season. QB Willie Thrower (love that name) is your prototypical backup QB. QB Steven MacDonald is a young kid with potential I drafted last season. Hopefully, he can become our primary backup in a few years.

Last edited by Dolemite73 : 03-04-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Running Backs:

We have a very nice set of Running Backs. We had a star at this position a few seasons ago, but had to let him go due to salary cap issues (my salary cap was a mess!). Instead of going back to the star RB, we decided to get some decent RB's and ride the hot hand by committee. Here is our starter, RB Ken Keller:

We signed him as a free agent away from the Houston Texans last season. Even though we didn't feature him exclusively, he still average more yards per carry (YPC) than in anytime in his career. He is a very good blocking back, so he can play 3 downs and he does a good job of not fumbling. We may feature him this season. RB John Hammonds and RB Jim Podoley are decent back up and can be counted on to get the tough yards in short yardage situations. I am happy with these players.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Fullbacks:

In this season's draft, we selected the top FB in the draft in FB Charley Tolar. We expect big things out of him:

We pulled FB Eric Jefferson off of the scrap heap to back up our rookie FB.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Wide Receivers:

No stars here, but very good players who are all fast and agile. We will be playing lots of 3-WR sets to take advantage of our depth here. Here are player cards for the two starters:

Old 03-04-2012, 09:19 AM   #6
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Tight Ends:

Our 2 TE's are the strength of our offense. Last year, the TE's combined to catch 91 passes and were constantly the relief valve against blitzes. I expect these two to continue to wreak havoc in the opponents secondary. Here is TE Ron Lofton (1957 Pro Bowler) player card:

Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 AM   #7
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Centers:

Very steady players at this position. C Walt Cudzik isn't a star, but he is very solid and does not make a lot of mistakes. Here is his player card:

Old 03-04-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Guards:

Led by 2-time Pro Bowler G John Gilliam (1956, 1958), we have a very deep group of Guards. We have done an outstanding job of drafting and developing Guards. I am pretty sure this will be G Chet Lagod's last season with us as he is declining and there are good players behind him. Here are the 2 starters cards:

Old 03-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #9
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Tackles:

Le by 3-time Pro Bowler (1951, 1956, 1957) and potential Hall of Famer T Mike McCormack, our Tackles are kind of a mixed bag. Our starters are very strong, but our depth is not as good as our Guards. As long as we stay healthy here, our Offensive Line will be very strong this season. Here are the two starters cards:

Old 03-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Defensive End:

We have a very deep group of DE's. These guys are very strong against the run, but they are not very dynamic pass rushers. That is kind of disheartening, but I am hoping that changes in the future. Here are the player cards:

Old 03-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Defensive Tackles:

Very strong in the trenches here. DT Bob Gain is a 7-time Pro Bowler who we signed away from the Chicago Bears in 1958. He has Hall of Fame numbers but was hurt all year last year, so I expect him to excel this year. Our depth is nice here and we will be strong up front. Player Cards of the starters:

Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #12
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Linebackers:

We have decent starters, but our depth here is troubling. We will start a rookie 1st round draft pick as the strong side LB, LB Gorden Kelley:

Here are the player cards of the starters:

Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Cornerbacks:

We have outstanding starters, but weak depth behind them. CB Bobby Dillon has only been to thr Pro Bowl once, but he is a force in pass defense and pretty much locks his side of the field down. He has been a tad injury prone in the past, so I am worried about my depth at this position. Player cards:

Old 03-08-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Free Safeties:

We have some depth here, but we are going to go with our rookie 4th round pick, FS Don Sutherin. He is our strongest Free Safety by far and has very good hands. The hope is he will develop. Here is his photo and player card:

Old 03-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #15
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Strong Safeties:

SS Billy Kinard
will start for us, but don't let his high rating fool you. He has his issues in coverage. He plays the box well, but his tackling could be better. We are expecting him to perform better this year, especially as a former 1st round pick. Player card:

Old 03-08-2012, 07:02 PM   #16
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

1960 Schedule:

Old 03-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #17
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Preseason Game 1:

This was a nice start to the season. Our offense was able to move the ball and our defense was able to shut the Bills down.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:05 AM   #18
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Preseason Game 2:

Too many penalties and too weak of a run defense in this game. Next game, we will get our starters some work. Hope we will see some improvement and a better ability to do a few things on offense.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:35 AM   #19
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Preseason Game 3:

In the first extended playing time of the preseason, it looks like our starters are ready, don't you say? Got a nice big play on offense with our running game and controlling to clock were the main stories of this game. Most importantly, we had no injuries this game. One more preseason game and then we begin our march to the Super Bowl!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #20
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Preseason Game 4

Last preseason game played with no injuries. Let's get it on!
Old 03-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #21
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Week 1 Preview:

We travel to Cleveland to take on the Cleveland Browns. The Cleveland Browns are a very nice team with a high powered offense. Their main weapons in Offense are RB Hugh McElhenny (OVR 86 and 3 time Pro Bowler)and WR Harlon Hill (OVR 89, 4 time Pro Bowler). You kinf of have to pick your poison with them. On defense, Their defensive line is there strength, featuring nice talent led by DT Floyd Peters (OVR 73). They really have no weaknesses, so this will be a tough game for us on the road. Expect a close game.

Prediction:

Packers 17
Browns 20

Here is the schedule for the week:

Old 04-08-2012, 07:40 AM   #22
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Week 1 results:

Due to a playbook error, I had the backups playing MUCH more than I should have. As you can see, we were able to move the ball, but we had a lot of penalties. Also, our defense just was not able to get stops when we needed them. All together, this game was encouraging, but since I have fixed the playbook error, I expect a much better game next week in Detroit.

Here are the rest of the weeks results:

Last edited by Dolemite73 : 04-08-2012 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #23
Dolemite73
High School Varsity

Week 2 preview:

We travel to Detroit to take on the (1-0) Detroit Lions. The Lions are started a 2nd year QB (QB Anthony Griswold OVR 38) who had his first NFL start last week. The Lions really don't have dynamic players on offense, so we should be able to win the battle there. On defense, they are VERY dynamic. Look at this starting lineup:

They have some studs in the front 7 and the secondary. Our only saving grace may be that DE Billy Howton is out for 8 to 12 weeks with an injury. He would have been tough to deal with. The hope is we can force turnovers and play on some short fields with our special teams return game.

Prediction:

Packers 17
Lions 24

Week 2 schedule: