Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-31-2020, 07:02 AM   #651
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I find it hard to believe teams are "going for it" to win this year. It won't have an asterisks, but it might as well. I hope these teams are at least getting pieces they'll have for next year when we hopefully get a legitimate season.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:48 AM   #652
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It won't have an asterisks.

It will.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:53 AM   #653
Ksyrup

Not officially is what I mean. At least, not the "championship."
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 08-31-2020, 08:09 AM   #654
PilotMan
Head Coach

It should.

I mean, I'm enjoying it as much as the next baseball fan, but it's completely meaningless at the same time.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 09:59 AM   #655
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Not officially is what I mean. At least, not the "championship."

Why not? Everyone is playing by the same rules.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:04 AM   #656
Ksyrup

Between playing less than 40% of a real season and the joke of so many teams having to double up on games because of periodic shutdowns, this isn't a real season. They would have done better to just do some sort of soccer style round robin/seeding followed by a full tournament-style playoffs and called it a year.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #657
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Between playing less than 40% of a real season and the joke of so many teams having to double up on games because of periodic shutdowns, this isn't a real season. They would have done better to just do some sort of soccer style round robin/seeding followed by a full tournament-style playoffs and called it a year.

I don't understand that logic. All teams playing under the same rules. In a regular season teams have to make up games in unusual styles as well. Injuries happen, rainouts, etc...

It isn't as if half the league plays 7 inning double headers and the other half plays 9. Hell, this season has universal DH unlike a regular season.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:22 AM   #658
JPhillips
General Manager

Padres get Clevinger.

They're behaving like me in FM20 when I get promoted and replacing the whole roster with better players.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:27 AM   #659
MrBug708
Head Coach

In this type of year, it makes sense. Wonder what the haul is
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #660
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I don't understand that logic. All teams playing under the same rules. In a regular season teams have to make up games in unusual styles as well. Injuries happen, rainouts, etc...

It isn't as if half the league plays 7 inning double headers and the other half plays 9. Hell, this season has universal DH unlike a regular season.

What separates baseball from most sports is the length of season. Playing a 60 game season already compromised this year. Period. It's not even comparable to a real season. The 7 inning DHs and the number of DHs certain teams have to play (compacting that many games into so few days) just makes it worse.

It's not an integrity issue with the games themselves, IMO, but the length of the season and the Covid issues adversely effecting random teams (which I do not equate to injuries or rainouts). Just because the rules are uniform doesn't make the season any more valid if the entire basis for the season is flawed to begin with.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:57 AM   #661
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

But is everyone is playing a 60 game season, or close to it, how does that invalidate anything?

I think we just need to agree to disagree.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:01 PM   #662
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

I’m with Lathum on this. This also is not the first time baseball has played an odd or shortened season due to external events. It is what it is really. There will be a champion this year. They played what the world allowed them to play in 2020.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:40 PM   #663
Ksyrup

Quote:
But is everyone is playing a 60 game season, or close to it, how does that invalidate anything?

I think we just need to agree to disagree.

The season they are playing is twice as long as spring training. That's all it is, a glorified spring training. It doesn't "invalidate" the fact that they played a 50-60 game season, it just means someone won the Covid Spring Training World Series.

If you don't think people are going to be like, "Yeah but it was 2020..." until like the 2040s, you're nuts.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:42 PM   #664
Ksyrup

There are still people who point out one of the Spurs championships was during a shortened season - and they played over 50% of their regular season.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:47 PM   #665
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm with Lathum here. Fans love to try to invalidate championships, but in the end the team that's crowned tends to be what fans remember. Outside of the random comment here and there by NBA fans, the Spurs are still considered the '99 Champs by nearly everyone.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:55 PM   #666
Ksyrup

I guess that's not my point. I think I started by saying that this might as well have an asterisks, just like that 1999 season did (in many people's minds). It's not invalidated or didn't happen, but it's not the same as a full season championship. 60 games is the summer stretch in a normal year, not the whole thing. You can't tell me it's the same. 2020*

Last edited by Ksyrup : 08-31-2020 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:57 PM   #667
Ksyrup

If this was a normal season, I'd be watching. That's certainly one difference.

I get that they are trying to make the best of a bad situation, but they kinda screwed that up with all the in-fighting. A 100-120 game season would have been reasonable. This is just a money grab.
Old 08-31-2020, 12:59 PM   #668
spleen1015
Coordinator

I'm just glad there is baseball to watch. There has been some fun things to watch. So, I'm happy about that. Something is better than nothing.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:05 PM   #669
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

If you don't think people are going to be like, "Yeah but it was 2020..." until like the 2040s, you're nuts.

And I would say those people are idiots or haters.

Just because the season was shortened by X number of games doesn't make them any less worthy of being champs when everyone played by the same set of rules.

I fail to see the logic behind an asterisk for the champs. If you want to put an asterisk for the whole season, ok, but the champs are no less worthy than any other past champs.

Unless it's the astros, then fuck them.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #670
Ksyrup

Well yeah, I'm talking about the entire season. The championship is obviously the culmination of the season.

I get it, they played all they could play and won. I just don't see it as anything more than a glorified exhibition season given the number of games they are playing and some teams just dropping out for a week or two at a time.
Old 08-31-2020, 01:58 PM   #671
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

If the Yankees win, they sure as shit are going to trot out that it's championship 28 or whatever until the end of time. But if it's the Padres, they're going to wear that a bit more. Of course, all of this is unfair in some capacity.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 02:22 PM   #672
Ksyrup

Sure they are. Just like if Alabama goes 6-0 and wins a single game playoff for the championship with 2/5s of the P5 not even playing, they'll add that to the list of dubious championships.
Old 08-31-2020, 02:47 PM   #673
spleen1015
Coordinator

Old 08-31-2020, 02:56 PM   #674
MrBug708
Head Coach

Who is Ken Rosenthaw?
Old 09-04-2020, 12:58 PM   #675
MrBug708
Head Coach

The 2020 NL CY Young race is gonna be wild:

Kershaw: 5-1, 1.50 ERA, 0.72 WHIP, 287 ERA+, 6.83 SO/BB

deGrom: 2-1, 1.76 ERA, 0.90 WHIP, 242 ERA+, 6.44 SO/BB

Darvish: 6-1, 1.47 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 309 ERA+, 6.50 SO/BB

Fried: 6-0, 1.60 ERA, 1.00 WHIP, 300 ERA+, 3.07 SO/BB

Of course, if Hader goes the season without giving up a hit, it would be hard to not give it to him
Old 09-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #676
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Man, has DeGrom wasted a career with the Mets.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #677
JPhillips
General Manager

I read a stat on DeGrom, it was something like in games where he's gone 6 or more innings, with 2 or fewer runs allowed, with 10 or more strikeouts, he has a .500 record.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:00 PM   #678
JPhillips
General Manager

dola

FFS a +102 run differential after only 40 games? What would the Dodgers rack up over 162?
Old 09-05-2020, 10:45 PM   #679
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
dola

FFS a +102 run differential after only 40 games? What would the Dodgers rack up over 162?

+413.1

Old 09-06-2020, 06:25 AM   #680
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I read a stat on DeGrom, it was something like in games where he's gone 6 or more innings, with 2 or fewer runs allowed, with 10 or more strikeouts, he has a .500 record.

As a die hard Mets fan it is both frustrating and amazing to watch him, and I almost never miss a game.

One thing I will say is I have made a good amount of money betting the first five total runs under and the Mets team total runs under in his starts. It is like an ATM machine.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:56 PM   #681
JPhillips
General Manager

Trevor Bauer went into tonight's game with 2 CGs.

Tonight was the first time he pitched in the eighth inning.

Welcome to baseball trivia for 2020.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:03 PM   #682
Jas_lov
College Starter

I thought the Brewers 19-0 score was crazy but then I saw the Braves are up 29-9 in the 7th inning!
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:29 PM   #683
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Twitter has been solid for the past hour+, to the extent that the Braves-Marlins game has #Falcons trending as well (as in "a lead so big only the Falcons could blow it")

Marlins official twitter has been absolutely golden, full props
Old 09-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #684
Ksyrup

Worst series win ever.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #685
Atocep
Coordinator

Acuna just fouled one off his ankle and had to be helped of the field.
Old 09-13-2020, 04:06 PM   #686
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Alec Mills of all people with a no-no!
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:25 AM   #687
BYU 14
Coordinator

This Covid season has been the most enjoyable season for me in some time. With less than 2 weeks to go in the regular season, only 7 of the 16 playoff spots have been clinched. Giving us games that actually mean something all the way to the wire.

If MLB could get creative and not worry about upsetting the traditionalists they could use this year to make some changes that might actually bring some new fans.

I would like to see the following
1-Keep 16 teams post season
2-Keep 7 inning double headers and schedule 5 or 6 each season for everyone to shorten the season a week or so.
3-Universal DH

I was not crazy about the runner on 2B to start extra innings initially, but I am actually on the fence now, and if it was adopted I wouldn't mind.

As long as we are being crazy, to keep an element of the "sprint" concept that the shorter season brought.

Change the season to 156 games and play a 78 game split season.

Playoff spots go to.

Each split season division winner = 6 (If a team wins both splits, the 2nd best overall record in the division gets the 2nd spot)

Next 5 best overall records in both leagues get the remaining 10 spots.

Or, expand to 32 teams, 4 divisions and play a regular length season with the 4 division winners and next 4 best records getting into the playoffs. Would not keep as many teams in play, but would still offer some intrigue all season long and would make teams more aggressive at the trade deadline.

i know the split season would have a snowballs chance in hell, but they have done it before and it really would make a long season mean something for the entire season.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #688
JPhillips
General Manager

The NL Central might end up with four playoff teams and the #1 pick in the 2021 draft.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #689
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
This Covid season has been the most enjoyable season for me in some time. With less than 2 weeks to go in the regular season, only 7 of the 16 playoff spots have been clinched. Giving us games that actually mean something all the way to the wire.

If MLB could get creative and not worry about upsetting the traditionalists they could use this year to make some changes that might actually bring some new fans.

I would like to see the following
1-Keep 16 teams post season
2-Keep 7 inning double headers and schedule 5 or 6 each season for everyone to shorten the season a week or so.
3-Universal DH

I was not crazy about the runner on 2B to start extra innings initially, but I am actually on the fence now, and if it was adopted I wouldn't mind.

As long as we are being crazy, to keep an element of the "sprint" concept that the shorter season brought.

Change the season to 156 games and play a 78 game split season.

Playoff spots go to.

Each split season division winner = 6 (If a team wins both splits, the 2nd best overall record in the division gets the 2nd spot)

Next 5 best overall records in both leagues get the remaining 10 spots.

Or, expand to 32 teams, 4 divisions and play a regular length season with the 4 division winners and next 4 best records getting into the playoffs. Would not keep as many teams in play, but would still offer some intrigue all season long and would make teams more aggressive at the trade deadline.

i know the split season would have a snowballs chance in hell, but they have done it before and it really would make a long season mean something for the entire season.

It would be nice if they would commit to playing one series in every park every 3 seasons. You can play the other 10 teams in your league 6 times(60 games). Each Division opponent 18 times(72 games) 5 road series away at the other league(15 games) 5 home series vs the other league(15 games). That's a much better usage of 162 games instead of the current Yankees visit Pittsburgh once every 6 odd seasons approach.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:15 PM   #690
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Also one of the Pirates top prospects hit 3 people on a motorcycle and got charged with a DUI
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:24 PM   #691
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
It would be nice if they would commit to playing one series in every park every 3 seasons. You can play the other 10 teams in your league 6 times(60 games). Each Division opponent 18 times(72 games) 5 road series away at the other league(15 games) 5 home series vs the other league(15 games). That's a much better usage of 162 games instead of the current Yankees visit Pittsburgh once every 6 odd seasons approach.

That would be cool too
Old 09-24-2020, 01:14 PM   #692
Atocep
Coordinator

The Mets sale to Cohen looks like it's going to happen and they'll go from one of the poorer owner groups in base all to the richest. Cohen has already announced Sandy Alderson as team President pending final approval of the sale. I'm guessing this means BVW's days are numbered, and rightfully so.
Old 09-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #693
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Took a shot on the Reds to with the NLCS at 20-1 and the World Series at 40-1. Grabbed it before yesterdays win, which was huge for them making the playoffs. I like their odds with Bauer, Castillo, and Gray in a short series.
Old 09-25-2020, 10:58 PM   #694
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Took a shot on the Reds to with the NLCS at 20-1 and the World Series at 40-1. Grabbed it before yesterdays win, which was huge for them making the playoffs. I like their odds with Bauer, Castillo, and Gray in a short series.

You might have a hidden gem with the Reds. Looks like good value to me.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 11:00 PM   #695
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
You might have a hidden gem with the Reds. Looks like good value to me.

yeah, was all about the value. They need to avoid the Dodgers in the first round. If they can do that I love my chances to at least have the ability to hedge and make a profit. I can really close to dropping a dime on each but dialed it way back.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:45 AM   #696
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Brutal loss to the Padres in the 2nd half of that double header. Giants went from almost assured of a postseason berth to barely holding on.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 12:34 PM   #697
BYU 14
Coordinator

The irony of a pitcher throwing at an opposing batter for a bat flip when Tim Anderson is on your team.
https://twitter.com/NBCSWhiteSox/sta...81133014192128
Old 09-26-2020, 01:39 PM   #698
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
yeah, was all about the value. They need to avoid the Dodgers in the first round. If they can do that I love my chances to at least have the ability to hedge and make a profit. I can really close to dropping a dime on each but dialed it way back.

Honestly, for the Reds, if they're gonna face the Dodgers, I have to think they'd rather do it in the first round, when they only gotta win two games. Not like that's an easy lift either way, but the shorter the series, the better a shot they have at riding Bauer and Grey to an upset.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #699
JPhillips
General Manager

Bauer, Gray, Castillo, and Mahle are a good post-season rotation. They could easily crap out in the first round, but they have the pitching to challenge anyone they might face.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:07 PM   #700
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Honestly, for the Reds, if they're gonna face the Dodgers, I have to think they'd rather do it in the first round, when they only gotta win two games. Not like that's an easy lift either way, but the shorter the series, the better a shot they have at riding Bauer and Grey to an upset.

I am looking at it from a betting perspective. If they make the NLCS against the Dodgers I can hedge the bet and guarantee a profit.