Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-08-2021, 05:23 AM   #3051
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
The Good Place is a great show.

The first couple seasons were entertaining but then it kind of dragged on for me.

But not all series can be like the Mandalorian and its consistent quality!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:46 AM   #3052
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I enjoyed The Good Place, but it is not going to be everyone's cup of tea.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:48 AM   #3053
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post

I loved it!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #3054
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
The first couple seasons were entertaining but then it kind of dragged on for me.

But not all series can be like the Mandalorian and its consistent quality!

To be fair, the Mandalorian has only had two 8-season episodes so it's a little early to declare that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 10:18 PM   #3055
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Watching Cobra Kai Season 3 and it's definitely not as good as Season 1 or 2. Kresse's Cobra Kai is way too cartoonish villians. In previous seasons you had Johnny trying to balance No Mercy with how he was treated which made the show interesting.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:20 PM   #3056
kingfc22
Head Coach

The Challenger documentary on Netflix was really good
Old 01-11-2021, 10:21 PM   #3057
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Same. It's one of my favorite shows ever. I never thought it lagged at all (Season 3 is arguably the best season) and Mandalorian doesn't even come close to it's quality IMO.
Old 01-11-2021, 10:37 PM   #3058
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Same. It's one of my favorite shows ever. I never thought it lagged at all (Season 3 is arguably the best season) and Mandalorian doesn't even come close to it's quality IMO.

Oh, that's weird - I thought season 3 was its weakest season. The initial premise was good but that show never let the premise grass grow under its feet (for good and for ill*). When they discover what's going in and the "soul squad" thing - I felt that was one of the worst sections of the entire show (season 4's "new group" 1st half was probably the other weakest part).

*I think the show's desire to constantly change was both good and bad. They always swept away the plot swords of Damocles, which was nice - things were tense but only for a few episodes at most and they moved on. But it also meant that dramatically the stakes weren't as high, which I guess is ok because, plot-wise, you could argue the stakes couldn't be higher, on the whole. It was the most fluid show I can ever remember watching. That meant that anything bad would be gone soon, but it also meant that anything good was not going to last either. Of course, the anchoring constant was that the main characters were mostly constant, but, even there, the repeated rebooting meant that some things you experienced through them were no longer true.

SI

Old 01-11-2021, 11:15 PM   #3059
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh, that's weird - I thought season 3 was its weakest season. The initial premise was good but that show never let the premise grass grow under its feet (for good and for ill*). When they discover what's going in and the "soul squad" thing - I felt that was one of the worst sections of the entire show (season 4's "new group" 1st half was probably the other weakest part).

I thought the jettisoning the intiail storyline of S3 when they did was a very good choice - they got out of it all they needed and moved towards something, IMO, deeper (one of the biggest strengths of The Good Place is it’s effeciency - they don’t draw things out, but move on when that part of the story is told). And it grew into something even more interesting (The “soul squad” thing is essential to entire theme of the show). Not to mention it includes two of the greatest episodes of the entire show: Jeremy Bearimy and Janet(s).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 01-11-2021 at 11:40 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:59 AM   #3060
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I love them both. They are very different shows that were doing vastly different things. They both succeed fantastically at what they are trying to accomplish and I would find it hard to compare them.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 01-12-2021, 12:41 PM   #3061
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Just for the sake of the comparison, I enjoyed the good place and really thought it was special because of the writing & the setting, which were unlike any other TV show that came before it. On the other hand, the Mandalorian is the result of great, refined craft, but practically every single bit of plot & setting was openly 'inspired' by some other source material.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:00 PM   #3062
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I'm looking forward to Lupin. I like "gentleman thief" type shows, and this one is getting good reviews.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:20 PM   #3063
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Watching Cobra Kai Season 3 and it's definitely not as good as Season 1 or 2. Kresse's Cobra Kai is way too cartoonish villians. In previous seasons you had Johnny trying to balance No Mercy with how he was treated which made the show interesting.

Agreed. I like that they didn't go heavy on the teenage drama but the characters are just too cartoonish.

I did think the flashbacks to Kreese as a kid were interesting and they should have done more with it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 02:23 PM   #3064
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I haven't picked up season 3 of Kobra Kai & the shock cliffhanger ending of season 2 actually makes it pretty likely that I don't. Practically every single character got scattered in the opposite direction of where they had been previously headed, which makes for a pretty easy stopping point.
Old 01-12-2021, 02:30 PM   #3065
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I haven't picked up season 3 of Kobra Kai & the shock cliffhanger ending of season 2 actually makes it pretty likely that I don't. Practically every single character got scattered in the opposite direction of where they had been previously headed, which makes for a pretty easy stopping point.

Wasn't really interested in how the cliff hanger played out. Was more interested in the additional reunions from the movies.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:08 PM   #3066
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Finished s3 of Cobra Kai. Was the weakest season yet. Seemed far more into cameos than telling a good story. However, the last 15 mins of the finale was fantastic! And I'm actually really excited for Season 4.
Old 01-16-2021, 08:28 PM   #3067
GrantDawg

Currently binging "Turn" on Netflix. I am on the last season and I just don't see how General Washington is going to win this war.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2021, 07:34 AM   #3068
tarcone
Coordinator

Disenchantment part 3 is on. Good show made by the Simpsons guy, Groening (sp?). It is a fun show.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #3069
GrantDawg

Watched "The Night Stalker" yesterday. I found I really didn't know as much about that case as I thought. That was one very sick dude. The thing that really got me is the women that became groupies after he was caught. I mean
Spoiler
Old 01-26-2021, 02:05 PM   #3070
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I have that on my list. On a related note, I finally got around to watching the Mystery of DB Cooper on DVR (HBO) a couple of nights ago. I knew the general outline of the story, but considering it happened 3 months after I was born, I didn't know all of the specifics. And it was cool to see the coverage of it at the time.

It wove the story with profiles of the 4 likeliest suspects. Only 90 minutes long, so not much of an investment of time. Well worth it.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-26-2021 at 02:05 PM.
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:07 PM   #3071
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I have that on my list. On a related note, I finally got around to watching the Mystery of DB Cooper on DVR (HBO) a couple of nights ago. I knew the general outline of the story, but considering it happened 3 months after I was born, I didn't know all of the specifics. And it was cool to see the coverage of it at the time.

It wove the story with profiles of the 4 likeliest suspects. Only 90 minutes long, so not much of an investment of time. Well worth it.
Got to catch that. I read a bunch theories on DB Cooper years ago, but I barely remember all of that. Of course, now we know for a fact it was Don Draper.
Old 01-27-2021, 04:43 PM   #3072
Edward64
Head Coach

Enjoying the Expanse s5 but not as strong as earlier seasons.

Naomi's "whining" in the past 2 episodes are irritating to me. And before that, there was the mother-son dynamic that stretched way too long. And what the hell is Kamal & Draper doing ... much of nothing.

I want to see ship-to-ship combat damnit & more of the protomolecule. I really hope they resolve the Marco arc this season so we can go back to the gates/protomolecules in s6.

I do like the Amos/Timmy and Peaches storyline. Also enjoying Chrisjen but thought her comeback was too easy/convenient.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:36 PM   #3073
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Civil.../dp/B07M62BXTM and learning more about NA history before 1492.

Really fascinating stuff.

Where native Americans came from, what they ate, tools they used, paintings they did ... we all kinda knew this.

But I learn about the civilizations that existed (hint: along the Mississippi from LA to Ohio), cities they built, legends they told, earthen pyramids and burial mounds they built (including 2 on LSU campus) etc.

If you like ancient history and NA was just a black hole of knowledge, check it out.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:51 AM   #3074
tarcone
Coordinator

Did they talk about Cahokia? That is right across the river from St. Louis and was a huge metropolis.

Old 01-31-2021, 11:53 AM   #3075
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've been to the mounds!

SI

Old 01-31-2021, 11:58 AM   #3076
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Did they talk about Cahokia? That is right across the river from St. Louis and was a huge metropolis.

They did. And Poverty Point.

Apparently there are eras/periods in NA ancient history. The Mississippian period was when the Spanish came.

The remaining "structures" don't look as amazing as South America and other well known ancient places but man, wished I learn all of this in US History. There's an Etowah burial mound relatively close by me that I want to visit.
Old 01-31-2021, 01:39 PM   #3077
JPhillips
General Manager

I expect they talked about serpent mound, which is in the area where I grew up.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:07 PM   #3078
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Watching https://www.amazon.com/Ancient-Civil.../dp/B07M62BXTM and learning more about NA history before 1492.

Really fascinating stuff.

Where native Americans came from, what they ate, tools they used, paintings they did ... we all kinda knew this.

But I learn about the civilizations that existed (hint: along the Mississippi from LA to Ohio), cities they built, legends they told, earthen pyramids and burial mounds they built (including 2 on LSU campus) etc.

If you like ancient history and NA was just a black hole of knowledge, check it out.

This show is incredibly interesting. Thanks for pointing it out. Amazing.

Old 02-03-2021, 08:13 PM   #3079
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Enjoying the Expanse s5 but not as strong as earlier seasons.

Naomi's "whining" in the past 2 episodes are irritating to me. And before that, there was the mother-son dynamic that stretched way too long. And what the hell is Kamal & Draper doing ... much of nothing.

I want to see ship-to-ship combat damnit & more of the protomolecule. I really hope they resolve the Marco arc this season so we can go back to the gates/protomolecules in s6.

I do like the Amos/Timmy and Peaches storyline. Also enjoying Chrisjen but thought her comeback was too easy/convenient.

s5 ep10 was fantastic. Lots of ship-to-ship, protomolecule showed up, nice crew reunion (-1). Marco didn't get resolved but still a very good episode.

Looking forward to s6.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:24 PM   #3080
JPhillips
General Manager

I loved the last episode of Expanse, but thought the season really dragged. I think they could have had one rocks episode, one Naomi/Amos episode, and last night's episode and then used the rest of the season for the war.

I know it's based on the books, but I got tired of another episode of Naomi in distress.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:36 PM   #3081
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I just happened to be distracted & paying half-attention during Alex's whole moment (and I wasn't up on any of the real world news) so I had to rewind it like 3 or 4 times to understand what the fuck just happened.

..and I'll echo that Naomi's plotline has been an absolute slog.

Last edited by thesloppy : 02-04-2021 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2021, 03:56 PM   #3082
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
I just happened to be distracted & paying half-attention during Alex's whole moment (and I wasn't up on any of the real world news) so I had to rewind it like 3 or 4 times to understand what the fuck just happened.

Yeah, that was pretty shocking. I was thinking WTF happened ... and then the next Holden-Naomi scene explained it.

I liked his character but this season he didn't do much other than pilot the Razorback (like that name btw!). It wasn't a bad way to go.
Old 02-04-2021, 04:05 PM   #3083
RainMaker
General Manager

Is anyone watching Warrior on HBO Max? Incredible stuff if you liked Banshee.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 05:39 PM   #3084
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is anyone watching Warrior on HBO Max? Incredible stuff if you liked Banshee.

I have not, but I did love Banshee.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:14 AM   #3085
keviteni
n00b

gay sex tube for all tastes and ages https://tubegay.name/en/

Last edited by keviteni : 05-30-2021 at 10:30 PM.
keviteni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 05:19 AM   #3086
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Lots of interesting casting news yesterday.

Gina Carano out of The Mandalorian and any other future Star Wars projects due to continued idiocy. Actions have consequences. Hopefully, Cara Dune will be recast.

Speaking of The Mandalorian, Pedro Pascal has been cast Joel and Bella Ramsey (who killed it as young Lyana Mormont in Game of Thrones) as Ellie in HBO’s upcoming series the “Last of Us” based on the amazing video game. One of the best games I’ve ever played.
Old 02-11-2021, 06:26 AM   #3087
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just saw that about Carano. The right wing freedom of speech morons are out in full force when she was really fired for being unable to control herself on twitter. Imagine ruining a very lucrative career so you could tweet drivel. She likely would have gotten a spin off.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:04 AM   #3088
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just saw that about Carano. The right wing freedom of speech morons are out in full force when she was really fired for being unable to control herself on twitter. Imagine ruining a very lucrative career so you could tweet drivel. She likely would have gotten a spin off.

Yeah. This isn’t cancelling, this is consequences. If I spouted off the same stuff on social media and it was brought to the attention of my employer, I’d be fired, too. And I’m not a public figure by stretch.

I’m sure she’ll manage to carve out some kind of career making shitty straight-to-DVD movies with Kevin Sorbo or Scott Baio or something.
Old 02-11-2021, 07:26 AM   #3089
GrantDawg

The thing is she wasn't a good actress. She got the job because of the look she gave the role, and I admit that look did a little something for me. She should be easily replaced, though. Probably by someone not so wooden.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:02 AM   #3090
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
The thing is she wasn't a good actress. She got the job because of the look she gave the role, and I admit that look did a little something for me. She should be easily replaced, though. Probably by someone not so wooden.

Agreed on all accounts.
Old 02-11-2021, 08:37 AM   #3091
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

If anyone wants to watch a really interesting, fun show The Food That Built America is really good. Deep dive in to some of our most iconic brands and how they came about. We are really enjoying it.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:47 AM   #3092
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Lots of interesting casting news yesterday.

Gina Carano out of The Mandalorian and any other future Star Wars projects due to continued idiocy. Actions have consequences. Hopefully, Cara Dune will be recast.

Speaking of The Mandalorian, Pedro Pascal has been cast Joel and Bella Ramsey (who killed it as young Lyana Mormont in Game of Thrones) as Ellie in HBO’s upcoming series the “Last of Us” based on the amazing video game. One of the best games I’ve ever played.

expecting something truly awful tho...like all video game to movie translations...
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #3093
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
expecting something truly awful tho...like all video game to movie translations...

I remain hopeful! The game itself is more an interactive movie than a video game, it's incredibly cinematic. The dude who did Chernobyl is helming it and the casting seems great so far.

Speaking of video game to movie translations, isn't there a new Mortal Kombat coming out this year on HBO Max?
Old 02-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #3094
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I remain hopeful! The game itself is more an interactive movie than a video game, it's incredibly cinematic. The dude who did Chernobyl is helming it and the casting seems great so far.

Speaking of video game to movie translations, isn't there a new Mortal Kombat coming out this year on HBO Max?

yeah but instwead of just doing the script of the video game they always write some other complete garbage.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 10:49 AM   #3095
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

As I mentioned in the Video Game thread, I was very underwhelmed by The Last of Us. The story just seems very generic zombie movie/show at least to me. So... I’m not sure how great its actually going to be.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:17 AM   #3096
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
As I mentioned in the Video Game thread, I was very underwhelmed by The Last of Us. The story just seems very generic zombie movie/show at least to me. So... I’m not sure how great its actually going to be.

Oof. Great, great game. Top 5 ever. Great game play. Super tense and visceral. Fantastic story telling, great characters, deep emotional depth. The tutorial, alone, is a work of art. I don't think there's ever been an video that evoked more emotion from me than this one. It resonated with me.

Can't wait for the show!
Old 02-11-2021, 11:46 AM   #3097
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If anyone wants to watch a really interesting, fun show The Food That Built America is really good. Deep dive in to some of our most iconic brands and how they came about. We are really enjoying it.
Totally agree.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:50 AM   #3098
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Oof. Great, great game. Top 5 ever. Great game play. Super tense and visceral. Fantastic story telling, great characters, deep emotional depth. The tutorial, alone, is a work of art. I don't think there's ever been an video that evoked more emotion from me than this one. It resonated with me.

Can't wait for the show!

Agreed. Great game. Really enjoyed both 1 & 2.
Old 02-11-2021, 11:59 AM   #3099
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

And I found it a slog to get through. Had to force my way to finish. Was the one misstep in my PS5 playthrough of PS4 hits - God of War and Ghost of Tsushima were fantastic. TLOU was a thud. It actually made me change my plans and play Rachet & Clank next because I wanted something just pure fun. And it was. Now playing Nier Automata and enjoying it.

I'll be skipping TLOU show...

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-11-2021 at 11:59 AM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:19 PM   #3100
Kodos
Resident Alien

Ratchet and Clank is always fun. My daughter and I played through the PS4 version together.