Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #51
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
There's been a few days of rumors about Zinedine Zidane becoming new Man Utd manager. Brighton 3-2 Man Utd this afternoon should kick them up a notch.

Loved watching this match - but was amazed that we managed to press them so effectively high up the pitch, they kept getting themselves into trouble ...

Brighton do a 2 man press where the funnel the ball player toward a section of the pitch where another man moves in (both to cut down passing options but also because it means the player with the ball can be tackled more easily), the concept is simple and generally the better teams are quick enough at moving the ball that it isn't amazingly effective, but Man Utd simply weren't moving around enough to allow the ball players to do easy passes away ... pretty funny as a Brighton supporter watching our 34 year old striker close down their young whippersnappers so consistently

We played really well and deserved the win (in my biased opinion) - that being said it could (and arguably should) have turned out differently, if they'd started with Fellaini in midfield and pressed more themselves then Man Utd would have found a lot more inaccurate passing from our players (esp. Dale Stephens who is a terrier in the tackle, but his passing can be woeful under pressure).

Knockaert also had his usual blinding game against the big boys after being somewhat invisible last week - he is awful at releasing the ball with passes but it is amazing to see him dribble into a mass of defenders and somehow manage to come out with the ball or a foul .... great player who if he was a little more unselfish and intelligent with his distribution could be world class, his work rate has come a long way since he joined us .. but it'll be interesting to see if he can improve further still (fingers crossed).

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 08-19-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:10 PM   #52
bhlloy
Coordinator

I can't see Mourinho lasting much longer though, to be honest. They look like a team who has either stopped playing for him or are so scared of him that any joy and freedom has been sucked out of their game. If you look at what he's done a guy like Martial who looks like a complete shadow of his former self - the only question in my mind is whether he packs it in or whether he sticks it out until he's fired.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #53
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Karma in one way for him kicking a guy and still being on the field - 3 game suspension coming assuming the ref didn't see it.

Kenedy: Newcastle midfielder avoids ban for Cardiff kick - BBC Sport

So is the correct interpretation that Craig Pawson saw it and just awarded a free kick? Brutal.

A quick note on the USMNT front. No, NO, HELL NO!

David Moyes in the running for United States head coach job | HeraldScotland
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #54
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post

Moyes would be a fantastic coach for the USMNT in my opinion, he'd get them organised and is good at getting a performance out of a team without any real star players - where he struggled was trying to step up to a larger team where he found it harder to get players to follow his advice due to their egos and his (relative) lack of stature imho.

If you're thinking they won't be playing like Man City and passing the ball deftly you're utterly correct ... but the US don't have the players to play that way.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:43 PM   #55
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Kenedy: Newcastle midfielder avoids ban for Cardiff kick - BBC Sport

So is the correct interpretation that Craig Pawson saw it and just awarded a free kick? Brutal.

A quick note on the USMNT front. No, NO, HELL NO!

David Moyes in the running for United States head coach job | HeraldScotland

I think the correct interpretation is that until VAR is implemented the concept of not being able to correct a disciplinary action unless the referee swears he was looking in the other direction completely is going to continue to be problematic. And I’m not necessarily a huge VAR fan (as it was in the WC anyway) but this is a weird loophole that has been around forever and will continue to make no senses

As for Moyes, to Marc’s point doesn’t the US have players coming through that can play a more attractive style? I’m sure Pulisic and all those players who have done so well at youth levels are doing cartwheels at the thought of playing for such a modern tactical genius.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:17 PM   #56
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Moyes would be a fantastic coach for the USMNT in my opinion, he'd get them organised and is good at getting a performance out of a team without any real star players - where he struggled was trying to step up to a larger team where he found it harder to get players to follow his advice due to their egos and his (relative) lack of stature imho.

If you're thinking they won't be playing like Man City and passing the ball deftly you're utterly correct ... but the US don't have the players to play that way.

At the risk of being unfair to what Moyes might still have in his locker, I don't trust the Moyes that I've seen over the last 4-5 years to lead the youth movement the USMNT should be going through over the next 4 years.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #57
miami_fan
Coordinator

I have no idea how Thomas Mueller scores goals.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:51 AM   #58
miami_fan
Coordinator

Good thing there is not VAR in the EPL.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #59
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Good thing there is VAR in the Eredivise.

The UEFA Champions' League reportedly won't have VAR in the group phase. Not like it matters, last I checked, Paris SG, AS Monaco and FC Barcelona haven't been suspended yet.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:09 PM   #60
kingfc22
Head Coach

Somebody is getting fired this week...
Old 08-27-2018, 03:19 PM   #61
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Somebody is getting fired this week...
That's going to be a special one?
Old 08-27-2018, 08:21 PM   #62
miami_fan
Coordinator

"Do you know what was the result? 3-0. 3-0," he said, holding up three fingers. "Do you know what this means? 3-0.

"But it also means three Premierships, and I won more Premierships alone than the other 19 managers together. Three for me and two for them. Respect, respect, respect ..."

Jose is so cute for a six year old child.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:39 PM   #63
bhlloy
Coordinator

He’s basically a shit Belichek at this point. Wants to be seen as a hardass and a coaching genius who does things his way and gets success, but without the success.

When you look at the money he’s spent on the kinds of players he has, and the style he’s trying to run it’s bizarre. I don’t think I’d have given him more to spend on center backs after dropping 65 million on Lindelof and Bailly. Just a weird situation all around and you have to figure he’s not going to last another month.
Old 08-28-2018, 01:03 AM   #64
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just a weird situation all around and you have to figure he’s not going to last another month.

It did sort of have that feel to it.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:13 AM   #65
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Just a weird situation all around and you have to figure he’s not going to last another month.

Except...here is the next five fixtures.

Burnley(A)
Watford(A)
Wolves(H)
West Ham(A)
Newcastle(H)

For me, the minimum expectation is a five game unbeaten streak. MAYBE a loss against Burnley (Sean Dyche respect) or Wolves (is there really that big of a talent gap between the two first teams?).
Old 08-28-2018, 11:04 AM   #66
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Except...here is the next five fixtures.

Burnley(A)
Watford(A)
Wolves(H)
West Ham(A)
Newcastle(H)

For me, the minimum expectation is a five game unbeaten streak. MAYBE a loss against Burnley (Sean Dyche respect) or Wolves (is there really that big of a talent gap between the two first teams?).

Yeah the idea that this is a crisis three matches into a season is simply the media wanting a narrative - traditionally for several years it'd been Wenger who was always under pressure as soon as Arsenal dropped points.

This year Arsenal have a new manager so the media will excuse them for a while despite the fact that they're similarly under-performing.

I expect Man Utd will get near perfect points from that fixture list and they will at that point move onto attacking Unai Emery for Arsenal's continued under-performance.

PS - Watford will come down to earth shortly as their 3 match winning streak was against 'beatable' sides who were suspect against pace (yeah I admit Brighton was one of them ) ... I expect them to lose their next two and settle down to a sensible position.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:44 PM   #67
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

If you can get someone silly enough to bet with you on the Denmark-Wales game, you may want to take Wales, as Denmark are calling up third division, fourth division, and futsal (indoor football) players as they are in a dispute with the players union.

Nations League: Denmark name futsal players in squad for Wales game amid dispute - BBC Sport
Old 09-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #68
BishopMVP
Coordinator

U.S. men's national team is still searching for a full-time coach. What's taking so long?

How do you write this article and not even mention Caleb Porter? PS what's the consensus among the bigger MLS diehards here about Gregg Berhalter - is he is an equally good candidate to Porter? I will say I'm delighted we didn't go after Osorio, don't think Bradley did poorly at all but don't want him back either (or think the optics would look good after Arena's 2nd tenure), and would prefer Tata Martino stays at Atlanta & helps push MLS' player development and Academy systems (though he needs to sell that asshole Barco & get Carleton some more PT! )
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 02:22 PM   #69
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Berhalter would be a fantastic choice. He's basically made Columbus successful with bare bones support from the Front Office. I mean Gyasi Zardes has 15 goals already this season. He's a great tactician and isn't shy about playing young players (look at Wil Trapp).
Old 09-07-2018, 03:17 PM   #70
miami_fan
Coordinator

It's early but I am liking the looks of the Nations League matches compared to the friendlies in Europe. Turkey v Russia..yea. Belgium v Scotland ...ugh.
Old 09-08-2018, 12:30 PM   #71
miami_fan
Coordinator

Iceland might be back to being the Iceland we once knew.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:21 AM   #72
miami_fan
Coordinator

Douglas Costa needs to be gone for at least 8 games. Fucking disgusting.

Last edited by miami_fan : 09-16-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #73
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Zlatan? ZLATAN! GOAL: Zlatan Ibrahimovic scores his 500th career goal in stunning fashion - YouTube

I feel like there's maybe 20 players in the world who would even have the creativity to think of that and the audacity to try it.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:27 PM   #74
MIJB#19
Coordinator

UEFA Champions League hits a new low by scheduling games at 7 PM (Western European Daylight Saving time), as a result having both Dutch clubs not play at prime time this week. It's been customary for former Soviet countries and for the UEFA Europe League to play outside of the 8:45 PM slot, but a clash between two western European clubs in the CL hasn't happened before. I'm obviously not watching while still boycotting, but I do shake my head at it.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 AM   #75
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Tangentially related to your tangential reply, BeIn Sports is also having issues in other markets as they bought a lot of their rights from a Chinese "rights-broker" who have gone out of business. So with seasons starting in the next few weeks, they're still scrambling to have anything to show. Not sure if that affects their US networks.

There's a lot of soccer available on the various services now, but it's getting pricy:

ESPN+ (English Championship, MLS, this weekend's Charity Shield) $5 per month
Fox Match Pass (German BL and BL2, Copa Libertadores) $99 per year
B/R Live (Champions League, Europa League, Scottish PL, Belgian League) $79 per year
NBC Sports Premier League pass (English PL) $49 per year

I may be able to discreetly post a rant on this forum while in the office, but exactly how do they expect many of us who are working to watch these events? For many years, I've recorded them and watched when I got home that evening. Most of my co-workers were nice enough to not spoil it for me (those that follow soccer).

I understand that many are cutting the cord. We'd love to at some point. Are the majority of fans able to truly stream B/R Live on their work computer for a couple of hours (as an example of the US-based option to watch the ManU game today)? The concept of "recording" obviously becomes more difficult and outdated as we move away from traditional TV providers.

Other than live sports, we watch all of our shows via Tivo or streaming (Netflix/Amazon Prime, etc). But I think I'm gonna lose out with these new sports streaming providers.

Bringing it back to soccer:
Quote:
In a seismic shift in how consumers are offered UEFA Champions League and Europa League matches in the United States, the only Europa League game featured on television will be the final (on TNT and B/R Live on May 29). Meanwhile, TNT will televise 46 UEFA Champions League games throughout the season. That’s in stark contrast to FOX Sports’ coverage of the Champions League where they showed 146 games per season on television. For the Europa League, FOX Sports had 205 Europa League matches on TV compared to TNT’s one.
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #76
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Generally speaking you can stream a "replay" on most streaming services.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:28 AM   #77
Critch
lolzcat

The B/R app does have "On Demand", I've watched a few games on it and havent had any issues.

Adding to the list of streaming services, there's Fanatiz. $9.99 per month for Argentinian League, $19 for Argentinian and Chilean. Seems like the commentary is Spanish language only although they have said they are considering adding English.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #78
miami_fan
Coordinator

2 time NBA MVP Steve Nash: Champions League Analyst.

Who knew?
Old 09-19-2018, 01:56 PM   #79
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
2 time NBA MVP Steve Nash: Champions League Analyst.

Champions League Analyst and Tottenham fan. The TNT studio show is amateurish stuff, Steve Nash was the best of a bad bunch yesterday.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:42 PM   #80
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Champions League Analyst and Tottenham fan. The TNT studio show is amateurish stuff, Steve Nash was the best of a bad bunch yesterday.

I had the sound down on the TV so I have not heard his analysis. I knew he was a Spurs fan but yeah, that can't be the reason to put him on the studio show.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:55 AM   #81
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I had the sound down on the TV so I have not heard his analysis. I knew he was a Spurs fan but yeah, that can't be the reason to put him on the studio show.
He was a good soccer player back in the day (I think his brother played for the Canadian national team while he opted for basketball), he seemed to have a lot of connections to players through the various soccer celebrity games, and he always seemed like a decently smart and likable guy who also understood spacing and positioning to a Hall of Fame degree. If he's bad he's bad, but I can think of worse resumes for sports analysts.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #82
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Went to a Timbers game last night while making a quick trip back to Portland. My wife is VP for a company that sponsors them so we had a box right behind the goal. Really fun experience, great environment. Not quiet up to par on the Crystal Palace game I went to last year, but not terribly far off either. At one point I had my back to the action talking to some people and I got drilled in the back by a missed shot. The whole stadium went OOHHHHHH. That was fun.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 11:19 AM   #83
miami_fan
Coordinator

That was a beautiful goal by Cardiff City.
Old 10-01-2018, 10:08 PM   #84
PilotMan
Head Coach

This is a good one, or maybe it needs to go in the U12 Help thread. You decide:

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 11:44 PM   #85
MrBug708
Head Coach

Whose at fault? I say the guy throwing in the ball
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:32 AM   #86
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Whose at fault? I say the guy throwing in the ball

Definitely Zieler: he wasn’t paying attention when the ball was thrown, reacted late, and then miscontrolled it.

Yes, the thrower should have checked before throwing, but you can reasonably expect players not to be pissing around with their socks when the ball is effectively live, and if Zieler hadn’t have touched it all it wouldn’t have been a goal

We had him for a year and he was just poor, not quite sure how he’s a top division GK.

Last edited by AlexB : 10-02-2018 at 01:32 AM.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #87
miami_fan
Coordinator

You're getting sacked in the morning
You're getting sacked in the morning
Old 10-07-2018, 07:06 AM   #88
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Miamifan, your last post.. turned out to be a wee bit premature....
Old 10-07-2018, 07:39 AM   #89
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hey now, you are a new age kinda guy.

Are you going to believe the result or the performance?
Old 10-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #90
miami_fan
Coordinator

BTW, WTF Fulham.

The leaky defense is no longer cute.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:03 PM   #91
RainMaker
General Manager

Is USMNT ever going to hire a coach?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:21 PM   #92
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well how about that, the Columbus Crew is saved (almost)!

Cleveland Browns owners in negotiations with MLS to buy Columbus Crew SC
Old 10-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #93
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Is USMNT ever going to hire a coach?
I think at this point they're waiting for Columbus's season to end and hire Berhalter.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #94
kingfc22
Head Coach

So is the German press blaming Ozil for today’s result?
Old 10-27-2018, 03:39 PM   #95
miami_fan
Coordinator

Helicopter crashes outside Leicester City's King Power Stadium after match
Old 10-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #96
Ryche
College Benchwarmer

Damn, that's pretty horrific. How many people?
Old 10-27-2018, 06:54 PM   #97
miami_fan
Coordinator

No information has been released to my knowledge
Old 10-27-2018, 06:58 PM   #98
AlexB
Pro Starter

I think the Chairman was definitely on the chopper: there have been specific reports that the Vice-Chairman (his son) and the Director of Football were not on it, and the absence of similar for the Chairman implies he was.

A BBC newsreader also said in interviewing someone that she understood the manager was on it too.

Very sad news: he brought experiences to Leicester fans we never thought we’d see

Last edited by AlexB : 10-28-2018 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-28-2018, 03:05 AM   #99
AlexB
Pro Starter

There’s also a rumour surfaced that Gareth Southgate was on board.

Have no idea whether there is any basis of truth regarding either Puel or Southgate.

I’m very worried about Puel though - there were no manager interviews on Match of the Day after the game, which would make sense if they knew he was involved.
Old 10-28-2018, 07:51 AM   #100
AlexB
Pro Starter

Looks like Puel wasn’t on board, and the Southgate link was out of nowhere - I think there would be more substantive detail by now.