Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-13-2006, 08:06 PM   #1
Airhog
Captain Obvious

OT POL: Presidental term length and limits?

Do you like the current term length, and term limits for the president?

I personally do not like the term limits or the length. I personally think that the president should only be allowed 1 term. I think this would help on many different levels. For starters, I think you would see better candidates at the elections. Since there would be no more incumbents, you would not see the weak opposition whenever an incumbent is running. Another problem I have, is that the president spends way too much time running for reelection during his first term. I think this time could be much better spent running the nation, not trying to make the people like him more.

Now with that being said, I also feel like if you change the term limit to 1, then you should also extend the length of the term. I think 6 years is a good number. Since obviously a 2 term president these days, really only spends about 6.5 years running the show, and the rest of the time is spent campaigning.

Thread Killer extraordinaire

Yay! its football season once again!

Airhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
kcchief19
Pro Starter

But conversely, if presidents were limited to one terms you'd likely see even more gridlock, since the opposition party would simply need to run out the clock for four years to get another shot at the presidency. Since lame duck presidents really lack any power the last two years of their term, and nothing usually gets done during the mid-terms, you're effectively limiting a president's power to make impact to the first six months of his or her term.

I'm not necessarily one for radical ideas like this, but if I were I think I'd be more likely to keep term limits but extend the president's term to six years. That would be a long time for the opposition to run out the clock. Since presidents really start looking at re-election two years out, you'd be extending the effectiveness of the president's term by two years.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Or, alternatively, you could slap term limits on them all. One House term, one Senate term, one Presidential term. I'm not saying I'm for this, per se, but it would be interesting.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

I've actually felt term limits on all would be good, 12 years in each (6 house terms, 2 senate terms, 3 presidential terms). It'll mean a lot of turnover, but it will also mean fresh blood and fresh ideas in Congress (especially on the Senate side where terms are almost for life anymore).
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 04:31 PM   #5
Francis_Cole
SI Games

If the president in power at the moment had very very high approval ratings wouldn't the argument be in fact to extend the current limits?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:55 AM   #6
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis_Cole
If the president in power at the moment had very very high approval ratings wouldn't the argument be in fact to extend the current limits?

Yes, and it does come up when there is a 2nd-term president with high approval ratings. I remember this with Reagan, for instance.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:03 AM   #7
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ask anyone from Virginia how that one 4yr term for state executives works. You get a situation where you gotta get rid of a Warner for no real reason, but then you also get a situation where you have a Gilmore, who promises tax cuts to get elected, does that, and then when shit starts to hit the fan on replacing the lost revenue, he goes all "thats not my problem anymore, cause my term is up."
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 09:13 AM   #8
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I'm for no term limits at all for the President. If he/she can keep getting elected, then so be it.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 AM   #9
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus
I'm for no term limits at all for the President. If he/she can keep getting elected, then so be it.

NO, NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

That sets a dangerous precident...Washington withdrew from office to prevent the chance of dictatorship, all presidents after him followed this...I doubt any president in this day and age would be so willing to give up such power.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #10
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus

I agree. Term limits are a dumb idea.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:41 AM   #11
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I think term limits across the board are an interesting idea. It would probably be the best way to get career politicians or at least 70 year olds who are out of touch with reality from office. Seniority allows that place to run like a cartel and as we can see, it doesn't truly benefit anyone but lobbyists
Old 03-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola --

Presidential term limits are sorta silly. But they've been fairly effective and I don't know if I like the alternative of monarch-executives lasting 20 years in office.
Old 03-15-2006, 11:51 AM   #13
SFL Cat
College Starter

Frankly, there should either be term limits on every elected official...or there should be none, period.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 11:52 AM   #14
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat
Frankly, there should either be term limits on every elected official...or there should be none, period.

Wasn't one of the reasons that GW did what he did because he thought the executive branch potentially too powerful? I think there's an argument to be made that it's an idea that doesn't need to be applied universally.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote