Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #1
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Bowl Bound College Football sale in effect!

Grey Dog Software today announces it is running a sale for Bowl Bound College Football through the end of the college football bowl season. From December 2 through January 9, 2012, BBCF will be reduced to the price of $24.95 USD.

So, check out the free demo once again or grab the game today ourwebstore. Now's the time to get your college football fix with the bowl season approaching!

Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
Arles
Grey Dog Software

bump for the weekend crowd
Old 12-12-2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Another bump for the sale. Also, for those of you looking, I fixed the mods section to have all the old file links (ones I could find):

General Reference Thread for Mods - Grey Dog Software
Old 12-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #4
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Arles,

Any plans to update this with the conference movement that has went on?

BTW
This is a great game for anyone thinking about the purchase.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-12-2011 at 07:00 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #5
Arles
Grey Dog Software

It wouldn't be that tough, I just can't release it with actual names. If someone wanted to take the existing mod and make the small changes, it probably would be fairly easy
Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
It wouldn't be that tough, I just can't release it with actual names. If someone wanted to take the existing mod and make the small changes, it probably would be fairly easy

Ok

I guess I was just worried that taking a 10 team pac 10 conference and changing it to 12 teams would cause scheduling conflicts and maybe a RTE. You dont think this would be the case?
Old 12-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
Arles
Grey Dog Software

you just have to change the conference in the conference table to be 12 and make sure that matches what is in the teams table.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
If any of y'all that bought it are looking for a multiplayer league to join, the FOFC-BBCF will have its championship game sim tomorrow night, and the off season will start on Wednesday.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:15 PM   #9
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

A year ago I said I'd update my old 2010 conference changes mod for this game. Well, I finally did it tonight. Here are the deviations from real life:

Quote:
Montana and Montana St. have been moved up to FBS and play in the WAC

The Big East is split into 2 divisions with Air Force as the 6th team in the Western Division and the East with Navy along with the other announced changes from real life. The Big East title game is played at MetLife Stadium. (New Meadowlands Stadium)

South Alabama (Sun Belt), UNC-Charlotte (C-USA), Georgia State (C-USA), Holy Cross (Ind.), Delaware (Ind.) have all been brought up to FBS.

Utah State was moved to the MWC to keep it at 8 teams.

As far as real-life modifications, Pitt and Syracuse have been moved to the ACC, Texas A&M and Mizzou to the SEC. I've fixed the B1G division to model them as they are in real life, we didn't know them when I originally released this mod.

West Virginia and TCU have been moved to the Big 12.

UMass is in the MAC.

Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada to the MWC.

South Alabama to the Sun Belt and Texas State, UT-San Antonio to the WAC.

Finally, I edited the bowl names to their current names. The International Bowl no longer exists, but I didn't want to delete it. So I just edited to the proposed but rejected, Cure Bowl that was proposed to take place at UCF's Stadium. In-game it will take UCF or an at-large team and a team from the Sun Belt.

So even if you want to make other modifications, it'll help you along and if not, it should serve as a far better option for your future sim league needs.

It's been updated.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-13-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Dark Cloud.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Did you test the updated mod for any errors Dark Cloud?

I keep getting a RTE 5 or 3 at 57 percent when the league is being created.

I noticed Nebraska has a hometown of Tucson Arizona as well so I was going to go edit it myself until I realized I didnt know how to do. When I click on the file it asks me how to open it and I dont remember which program to edit it with.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:28 AM   #12
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

It ran fine for me over a bunch of seasons, I tested after I posted and ran subsequent years. You have to use MS Access or Open Office Base. I will edit it later.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-13-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:21 AM   #13
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Dola

I built that file I uploaded last night from a file someone else modified from my original mod, because filefront wasn't working. Well, I guess they fixed it because I was able to download my original this morning at work.

Long story short, I'm going to reissue this mod later.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:47 AM   #14
Philliesfan980
Banned

How is this for single player play?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 10:50 AM   #15
QuikSand
lolzcat

Trying to re-install the game... getting errors with the installer, on my Windows XP machine. Are there weird things that I need to be doing here, this "run as administrator" or whatnot? Installer seems to work a while, and then hangs itself without an error message that I can locate.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:41 AM   #16
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliesfan980 View Post

That's all I've ever done with it and very solid. I've gotten more use out of it than I did TCY.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #17
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This sale intrigues me. I've never played this game, but would like to.

How necessary are the various mods or what not to make the game work?

How difficult is it to install/make use of the mods?

I don't have access (or really the patience or skillz) to monkey around with things such as MS Access or Open Office Base. Unzipping and installing patches/mods is about it.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
This sale intrigues me. I've never played this game, but would like to.

How necessary are the various mods or what not to make the game work?

How difficult is it to install/make use of the mods?

I don't have access (or really the patience or skillz) to monkey around with things such as MS Access or Open Office Base. Unzipping and installing patches/mods is about it.

Like Dark Cloud mentioned the game is very solid.

On the link from Arles above Honolulu download Icys All in One Mod. It is a self installer.(If you are using Windows 7 you will have to change the download location) That will download the logos and team names. From there I would download Dark Clouds latest update. You just put that file(PC Stats, it will replace the existing file) in the C/Program Files/GDS/BowlBoundCollegeFootball folder.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
Philliesfan980
Banned

I just checked out the website - wow, is this really a 5 year old game?
Philliesfan980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #20
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Like Dark Cloud mentioned the game is very solid.

On the link from Arles above Honolulu download Icys All in One Mod. It is a self installer.(If you are using Windows 7 you will have to change the download location) That will download the logos and team names. From there I would download Dark Clouds latest update. You just put that file(PC Stats, it will replace the existing file) in the C/Program Files/GDS/BowlBoundCollegeFootball folder.

Thanks, man! Sounds easy enough.

I think I might finally give this game a go.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:47 PM   #21
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

It is but you can change the starting year to any year you want. Also with the mods available it is just like starting a 2012 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Thanks, man! Sounds easy enough.

I think I might finally give this game a go.

You are welcome, hope you enjoy.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-13-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:53 PM   #22
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

So I've updated my file again.

This time it's based on the original file that I modded, so there shouldn't be any problems loading it.

The changes to this in contrast to the other one:

Quote:
The only non-FBS teams in the game are Montana and Montana State who are in the WAC so they can keep that conference at 8 teams.

All of the other conference alignments should be the same as their future setups. Except no Delaware, Holy Cross, Georgia State or other such silliness. I think I forgot to add UMass to this one too, then. But if you want them, you can do that.

Only other change is that the International Bowl in this version is called the Silver Maple Bowl and takes place in Burlington, Vermont. (MAC v. Big East)

I added a new bowl too, called the Coors Pikes Peak Bowl, which takes place at Sports Authority Field at Mile High in Denver and pits the Sun Belt #2 versus either Colorado State or an at-large team.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-14-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:02 PM   #23
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay I bought this game years ago when it first came out and I am wondering who I would contact to get my license number so that I can give it a try again?
cubboyroy1826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #24
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay I bought this game years ago when it first came out and I am wondering who I would contact to get my license number so that I can give it a try again?

Scott Vibert of grey dog software.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #25
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
So I've updated my file again.

This time it's based on the original file that I modded, so there shouldn't be any problems loading it.

The changes to this in contrast to the other one:

bbcf2012.zip

Appreciate the work.

It looks like the Big Ten division with Penn State only has 1 team in it. As does one of the conference USA divisions. The Mid American may be messed up as well as it looks like one division has 7 teams while the other has 5.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-13-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:41 PM   #26
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay I am trying to download the demo so that once I get my license # I will be ready to go. Unfortunately the demo install keeps freezing at 81%?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #27
cubboyroy1826
College Benchwarmer

Okay I cannot login to the Grey Dog forums as I am waiting on my rest password. I get to c:\\windows\fonts\SF Electrotome Bold Oblique. TTF
Old 12-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #28
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:

No. It's actually 6 years old. And it's only 25 dollars right now!
sovereignstar v2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #29
Groundhog
Coordinator

I will also vouch for both the quality of the single player and multiplayer aspects of BBCF. I haven't opened the game in a long time now, but got a lot of use out of it and have fond memories of my Mount West clashes in the FOFC-BBCF.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #30
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

This one always intrigured me, but never pulled the trigger. I see that most people think it is solid so I will ask the opposite question. What do people think the current major issues/weaknesses are of the game? Are there any significant issues out there?

Tempted to pull the trigger, but not sure since it has been so long since originally sold. hhmm...what to do
SlyBelle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #31
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
This one always intrigured me, but never pulled the trigger. I see that most people think it is solid so I will ask the opposite question. What do people think the current major issues/weaknesses are of the game? Are there any significant issues out there?

Tempted to pull the trigger, but not sure since it has been so long since originally sold. hhmm...what to do

Price aside, you're not exactly surrounded by a bevy of options in the text sim universe. I think compared to TCY, it's better. But I imagine an old search on the differences will give you a better picture.

I like it more than TCY because it's more adaptable and as mentioned earlier, with mods, you're able to simulate as if it were modern day college football (except the fact the rosters issue) and so...with that considered, it's probably worth it if you are looking for a college football text sim.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:09 PM   #32
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Quote:
Price aside, you're not exactly surrounded by a bevy of options in the text sim universe. I think compared to TCY, it's better. But I imagine an old search on the differences will give you a better picture.

I like it more than TCY because it's more adaptable and as mentioned earlier, with mods, you're able to simulate as if it were modern day college football (except the fact the rosters issue) and so...with that considered, it's probably worth it if you are looking for a college football text sim.

Thanks DC. Trying the demo right now. What is the roster issue you speak of? Thanks!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:35 PM   #33
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlyBelle1 View Post
Thanks DC. Trying the demo right now. What is the roster issue you speak of? Thanks!

No roster issue. Just that your rosters will be fictional.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #34
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Something still isnt clicking with that PSStats file for me Dark Cloud. Not sure what it could be.

I can use icys all in one but as soon as I put your file over that one I get RTEs.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM   #35
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Hold on. I'm looking at it now.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-13-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:06 PM   #36
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubboyroy1826 View Post
Okay I cannot login to the Grey Dog forums as I am waiting on my rest password. I get to c:\\windows\fonts\SF Electrotome Bold Oblique. TTF
Sometimes fonts would hold up the install. The old fix involved downloading this zip and moving the fonts into your "fonts" folder in windows (which installs them).

Then, try and re-run the install:

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/BBCFFonts.zip
Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #37
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Updated my mod. I can't check it here at work, but someone else found the problems and I fixed them.

bbcf2012.zip

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-14-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:14 AM   #38
cody8200
High School Varsity

Years ago, I easily put 100+ hours into this game and enjoyed it much more than TCY. That being said, going back and playing it now, the screen being set to 1024 x 768 bugs me. I know not much can be done about this but I'm used to having a full screen version of the text sims I play nowadays (FM and OOTP).

The recruiting was always tough (I typically played as Indiana) and it really felt great to put your team into a winning position. I think a lot of times in text sims you can turn your team around in the first or second year. That was never the case with this game. It took gradual -persistent effort. That was my favorite part about it.
cody8200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 05:42 PM   #39
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I am about done with my attempt to start something up again. Not sure if Windows 7 is making this stubborn but its not acting consistent at all.

With the latest mod I get to 64 percent(offensive gameplans) when I create a league followed by an windows stopped the program message. I got it to complete 1 time when I was testing but cant get it again.

I dont think it is meant to be.

Let me add that the game works fine on it own(with the default file folders). Just something isnt clicking with Windows 7 and the updated mods.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 12-14-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #40
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbcf.jpg (379.9 KB, 228 views)
Old 12-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #41
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Yeah me and some other guy over at GDS Forums have been trying to do it all day and it hasn't worked. Now that I'm at home, I'm trying to sort through it, but I couldn't even install it on my W7 box at work and I think you might be onto something re: compatbility issues or something with the .dat file changes. Dunno.

But I'm going to try it here and see if it works. The old mods work, but when we update them and try to copy over what's in-game, things get thrown for a loop.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-14-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:59 PM   #42
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm currently testing a file that's gotten through the first season with all of my changes unscathed. Going to test to 10 years before releasing it in the wild.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #43
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm currently testing a file that's gotten through the first season with all of my changes unscathed. Going to test to 10 years before releasing it in the wild.

Very good. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:17 PM   #44
Arles
Grey Dog Software

DC,

Send me a copy of your updated mod (arlie @ greydogsoftware) and I will check it out as well.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:45 PM   #45
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Well, I've made it through ten years with this file with no problem.

bbcf2012.zip

I've got Arlie looking at a version that puts 12 teams in the Big East with a title game at MetLife Stadium, but when I tried that one it doesn't work. This version has a 9-team Big East with Houston, SMU, Boise State and UCF.

MAC, SEC and ACC have 14 teams. Big 12 with 10, B1G with its 12. WAC has Montana State, Montana to fill out to 8 and there's no S. Alabama in this file. No extra bowl game either.

But it works.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #46
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

bigeast2013.zip

There we go. 12-team Big East. But with no divisions. South Alabama in the Sun Belt. Utah State to the MWC to keep it at 8 teams. But if you want the realistic setup, this ought to get you there. I just had a few problems in it from the file from last night that for some reason, I solved in about 10 minutes when I woke up. So yeah, I think we're good to go.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 12-15-2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 PM   #47
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

So trying the demo and trying to figure out the game planning. I don't like to micro manage this part by selecting all the different playbooks and situation. So I choose a smash mouth style and each week have selected inside run for the gameplan. When I sim the games (I don't manage them), my QB still throws 35-40 times. I would have thought the qb throws would be far less. In the games, they were close so it wasn't like my team was playing catchup. Am I doing something wrong? I really don't want to have to micro manage things in order for my team to play a certain style.
Old 12-16-2011, 07:13 AM   #48
SlyBelle1
High School Varsity

Also, anyway to edit your coach? I was surprised to see that when you create a coach, you have no control over their age and experience. When I started, I started with a 55 year old coach with 27 years of experience. I would rather be much more at the start of my career versus the end. Kind of takes away from the game experience. Unless the coach's age and experience has nothing to do with gameplay, which if that was the case, why have them in the game?
Old 12-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #49
youcancallmeal
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Sometimes fonts would hold up the install. The old fix involved downloading this zip and moving the fonts into your "fonts" folder in windows (which installs them).

Then, try and re-run the install:

http://72.29.67.246/GDS/BBCFFonts.zip

Was there ever a solution found for this? I tried the above fix but it didn't help.

Also tried running as administrator and running as "compatible with XP."
youcancallmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:26 PM   #50
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

Just wanted to add that I am having the same exact problem and the font install, running as Admin, etc all did not work for me either. There is also a bit of a discussion about it on the grey dog forums but there is no solution there yet either unfortunately...
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote