Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #51
bhlloy
Coordinator

I have no doubt Froome is doping, I think to suggest he's the only one is ridiculous. Maybe he's doping better. Wiggins is more of a grey area to me, as he didn't look that dominant in the mountains and was a great TT rider (and decent climber) to begin with. But Froomes story is far too close to a certain American rider, no doubt about that

With the whole Cav incident today and how dominant Froome is I can see this getting quite ugly in terms of spectator incidents and newspaper coverage

bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #52
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
I have no doubt Froome is doping, I think to suggest he's the only one is ridiculous. Maybe he's doping better. Wiggins is more of a grey area to me, as he didn't look that dominant in the mountains and was a great TT rider (and decent climber) to begin with. But Froomes story is far too close to a certain American rider, no doubt about that

With the whole Cav incident today and how dominant Froome is I can see this getting quite ugly in terms of spectator incidents and newspaper coverage

There was a Cav incident today? I haven't visited the news sites to avoid spoiling the results, which of course the thread on pcmdaily spoiled now, so what happened?

Aaah I see - some stupid spectator threw piss on him.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-10-2013 at 02:51 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #53
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Race is on for 2nd place, or "First Clean Rider."

Given that a few of the main challengers have already served suspensions for doping, you might need to go much further down the order to find the first clean rider.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #54
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
Given that a few of the main challengers have already served suspensions for doping, you might need to go much further down the order to find the first clean rider.

Very true. Then again, as mortal as some of them have looked in this tour maybe they're clean this year.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:00 AM   #55
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I no way was I suggesting that Froome is on doping or whatever. Based on past results (like in the previous 12 months), the time-trial results weren't much of a surprise. T.Martin and Froome have far and beyond the best resume of the field, I would have Contador up there too, but over those past 12 months he hasn't been top-notch in ITTs. I was just pointing out that with a 3-minute gap, this has the set up to become pretty boring battle for 'Le Maillot Jaune'. At the same time, I realize there's still 5 mountain stages to come, one complete off-day for Froome and first place is back in contention.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 03:41 AM   #56
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
I really think lifetime, sport-wide bans on first-offense for doping are the only solution with enough consequence to affect these guys and really force change.
Establishing consistency would be the first step. It's quite obvious that cyclists are getting sacrificed to cover-up for other more popular sports. If you look at all the names and organizations that have been linked with Operation Puerto, only the cyclist have been suspended. The evidence about other sports personalities is getting destroyed, case closed. Would the big public be able to cope with the effects of retroactively modifying tennis grand slam tournaments' results or suspending big-name soccer players and clubs? Although, I still cheer for our national soccer team, despite what we know now.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #57
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19 View Post
I no way was I suggesting that Froome is on doping or whatever. Based on past results (like in the previous 12 months), the time-trial results weren't much of a surprise. T.Martin and Froome have far and beyond the best resume of the field, I would have Contador up there too, but over those past 12 months he hasn't been top-notch in ITTs. I was just pointing out that with a 3-minute gap, this has the set up to become pretty boring battle for 'Le Maillot Jaune'. At the same time, I realize there's still 5 mountain stages to come, one complete off-day for Froome and first place is back in contention.

Froome took a dramatic leap from amateur performance after he joined Sky. He's totally doping No doubt in my mind. His watts/kg are off-the-charts. Name the last person who wasn't doping who was able to ride away from climbers in the mountains as if they were nothing and then the next day turn around and finish 12 seconds behind the World TT Champion (who completely turned himself inside out)?

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-11-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #58
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

2011 Chart - "CF" being Froome - the worst rider on Sky @ that point

http://ciclismo2005.com/wp-content/u...metablaSky.jpg
Old 07-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #59
whomario
Pro Starter

the problem i have in condemning a guy like Froome on the basis of "how could he get so good so fast legally ?" is that in theory, cycling is propably the one sport (next to propably long distance running) where pure physichal talent (and work ethic) trumps everything else. So in theory i donīt have any problem in believing that itīs easier than in any other sport to go from undiscovered to greatness once you get the proper training, which Froome simply didnīt have as a youth. If youīd go out and convince a world class 20 year old 5000 meter runner to pick up cycling, iīd wager the odds arenīt that bad he could turn out to be a world class cyclist (on mountain stages)

However, that doesnīt change that the exact same parameters also make doping more likely than in most other sports, simply because actual skill makes comparably little difference (and yes, iīm aware that the proper position on the bike and other stuff are important. But even that is a crap shoot at times, either you have the body build for a good position or you donīt)

As for todays stage, itīs been immensely entertaining and not your typical flat stage.

Spoiler
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #60
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Just saw that one of the Sky team members has been riding with a fractured pelvis. HTF can you ride a bike like that???
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #61
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Just saw that one of the Sky team members has been riding with a fractured pelvis. HTF can you ride a bike like that???

Have you seen the pictures of Martinīs backside basically looking like the raw meat you see in the store ?

You can (often rightfully) dismiss their success, but cyclists are not what youīd call soft.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #62
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wow that was not the race we were expecting. Picked the right day to WFH and watch the whole thing
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #63
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
Have you seen the pictures of Martinīs backside basically looking like the raw meat you see in the store ?

You can (often rightfully) dismiss their success, but cyclists are not what youīd call soft.

Oh I know. I was an amateur racer back in high school (some of the races against a certain discredited cyclist from Texas) and rode with bad road rash, but never a broken bone, much less one that supports most of your weight while riding.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:22 AM   #64
whomario
Pro Starter

the other thing why this whole doping thing makes me equally mad and "understanding" is that a) you donīt find a sport that implements the terrain and the cultural heritage of a region as well as cycling. You donīt watch a tennis match and marvel about the court or a soccer match and marvel about the stadium (ok, you do. But during the broadcast all you see is the pitch). And as far as the terrain goes, each mountain has itīs own characteristics and itīs own mystique about it. Itīs just awfully fun to watch, for me the only sporting even that i can literally spend a day watching. You donīt have to look all the time (and can do other stuff, in my case learning for final exams now) but every time you do itīs pleasing to watch with the great views you get nowadays.

But that drive for spectacular mountain stages also is why iīm so relatively understanding; While it has gotten better on the part of the organisers (and partly due to that i think the doping problem got smaller, and it IS smaller now than 5 years ago), there is still the fact that theese guys go up some ridiculously demanding climbs on ridiculously demanding courses of 120+ miles a day and some 2000+ in 3 weeks.
And then you go ride your 135 miles and at the end of it you have part of the reason for this post: The fucking Mont Ventoux. 13 miles at a 7.5% climb topped by those last few miles in that surreal tree-less landscape which also fucks up you psyche.
And watching it, you really get that "rome and the gladiators" type feeling. Of course i know itīs kinda wrong, but damn it if iīm not entertained watching those guys going to the very edge of what their bodys and mind will tolerate.

And yeah, everybody ought to watch todays stage, could be epic. And o yeah, they poor bastards have been driving since before 8.30 am and will likely finish after 5 pm local time ...

Last edited by whomario : 07-14-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #65
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Got a few days to catch up on, but looking forward to rewarding myself later tonight with today's stage.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:59 PM   #66
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Catching up

Stage 12: Whoa...Kittel just out-sprinted Cav. Impressive.
Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #67
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Got a few days to catch up on, but looking forward to rewarding myself later tonight with today's stage.

Be prepared with your finger over the fast forward button, the number of ad breaks they forced into the coverage before the race hit the final climb was amazing. Regularly back for literally 2 minutes before going back to ads.

I hope that doesnt count as a spoiler
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #68
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch View Post
Be prepared with your finger over the fast forward button, the number of ad breaks they forced into the coverage before the race hit the final climb was amazing. Regularly back for literally 2 minutes before going back to ads.

I hope that doesnt count as a spoiler

Nope - I'll be prepared. Haha!
Old 07-15-2013, 08:56 PM   #69
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Yeah...bullshit on Froome. This is just silly.
Old 07-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #70
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Froome penalized 20 seconds for an illegal energy bar. *laughs*