Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > FOFC Hosted Multiplayer Leagues > FOFC NCAA Football Online Dynasties
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

EBFL Week 5!!! Uploads due Friday, November 14th!!

Gotta be early Friday, I'll be gone Fri - Sun so try and be done by Thursday.

Week 5

Colorado vs #4 Oklahoma
#11 Oklahoma State vs Texas Tech
#19 Texas A&M vs Baylor
USF vs Fresno State
North Carolina @ Georgia Tech
Syracuse @ UConn
#25 Kentucky vs #2 Florida
#23 Miss. State @ #16 Auburn
#9 Pitt vs Cinncy
UVA @ Maryland
NC State @ North Texas
#8 Arkansas @ Ole Miss

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:37 AM   #2
DeToxRox
Head Coach

ln front of 14 visitors in Colorado's biggest game of the season, the Buffaloes rebound from a blowout vs USF to beat the 4th ranked (99 OV) Oklahoma Sooners 42-35.

It was a game where each team's QB played almost flawlessly, but the X Factor was RB Darrell Scott, who had the best game of his career.

CU's Cody Hawkins was 21 for 25 for 208 yards with 3 TD (1 Pass, 2 Run), while OU's Sam Bradford was 19 for 23 for 324 yards and 4 TD. But as was said before, it was the D-Scott show.

Scott ran 37 times for 269 yards and 3 TD, including TD runs of 54, 1 and 80 yards. Every time we needed an answer, he gave it to us. The bgigest blow though was after OU tied it in the 4th, Scott ran 80 yards on the first play from scrimmage to give us the 42-35 lead.

Then, with OU driving, the D busted through the line inside the Colorado 30 on 4th and inches to stop a FB running play to give us the ball back. Scott then took control for next 3 minutes and change, and OU never got the ball back.

What a huge win.
Old 11-10-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
cmp
Pro Rookie

I thought maybe Arkansas' offense would falter against Ole Miss with star back Michael Smith out for the game but that was definitely not the case as we had a huge game and the 8th ranked Razorbacks won, 80-14.

Backup redshirt freshmen running back De'Anthony Curtis stepped up big time, running the ball 40 times for 311 yards and 3 touchdowns. Third string back Dennis Johnson ran the ball 11 times for 114 yards and 3 touchdowns.

Ryan Mallet had an average game, 17-25 for 196 yards and 3 touchdowns while Rod Coleman caught 9 passes for 127 yards and 2 touchdowns.

Next up is Auburn.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:49 AM   #4
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I beat Fresno 34-21, after a game freeze in the first attempt with me up 17-0 in the first half. I played pretty well. Our defense can shut down anyone, and thus I was disappointed in giving up a 21 spot to the Bulldogs. I'm still confident I can shut down any human opponent, lapse in the second half against Logan notwithstanding.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:14 AM   #5
Radii
Head Coach

Pretty easy win for NC State on the road at North Texas, 45-22.

A couple times in the 3rd quarter North Texas had the ball and a chance to cut the lead under 10, but we held onto the lead and eventually opened it up. I ran on every play of the 4th quarter, and probably need to watch Roberts' carries, as I got him up to 40 today, 15 of them in the 4th quarter. Those 40 carries were good for 294 yards and 4 TDs, giving him 992 yards and 14 TDs... in 3 games.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Pretty easy win for NC State on the road at North Texas, 45-22.

A couple times in the 3rd quarter North Texas had the ball and a chance to cut the lead under 10, but we held onto the lead and eventually opened it up. I ran on every play of the 4th quarter, and probably need to watch Roberts' carries, as I got him up to 40 today, 15 of them in the 4th quarter. Those 40 carries were good for 294 yards and 4 TDs, giving him 992 yards and 14 TDs... in 3 games.

I feel your pain. I ran Scott so much last year, then he got banged up and was probable for two games, where he was hurt in each one for at least a quarter.

Vs Oklahoma he had to carry the load, but with Baylor as my next game I'll go into it planning on only running him 15-20 times and then taking him out.

Though honestly, my schedule is so weak (I avoided Logan, Ironhead and Texas in the B12) from here on out (no ranked teams) I think I'll be able to get by limiting him to 20 carries per game so he's ready for the B12 Title Game.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #7
wade moore
lolzcat

I'm not sure I can play in this league anymore.

Ever since you guys changed the slider settings I can only beat the absolute worst of teams.

While you guys are manhandling the top ranked teams in the country I'm losing to Maryland and getting terrible recruits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 AM   #8
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore View Post
I'm not sure I can play in this league anymore.

Ever since you guys changed the slider settings I can only beat the absolute worst of teams.

While you guys are manhandling the top ranked teams in the country I'm losing to Maryland and getting terrible recruits.

I never read anything positive from you, so maybe it is time you stepped down. Either fight through it, or stop being captain bringdown. There is nothing shameful in losing, as long as you keep trying to get better. I've had my ass kicked in many a game, but I don't come on here and start bitching about how there were too many broken tackles or anything.

Take your lumps with grace, Wade. You're a good guy. Take your lumps, or give up. If you can't take these losses in stride, then maybe you shouldn't be playing this game. It's meant to be fun. You seem to be having anything but fun.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:55 AM   #9
wade moore
lolzcat

[redacted]

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 11-11-2008 at 05:56 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM   #10
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I believe we're waiting on Brad and Kwhi... er Logan.

Not sure though.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #11
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

I'll be done by early afternoon, sorry for the delay.
PurdueBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:02 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

I'm done.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I lied. Gram is the last one left now.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #14
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry about not posting. We went into Auburn to face the 16'th ranked Tigers and got kicked all over the field. We gave up three big score plays to their offense and one (nearly 2) pick sixes. What is surprising is that we were able to stay in the game, even with 4 interceptions. In fact, every time we actually needed a stop, we got it.

With 2:30 to play, we took over at our 41 yard line and down 34-28. We started to pound the ground and followed that up by working the holes in the zone. With 1:02 to play, we got a 1'st and goal at their 8. First play was a run by the back-up to the back-up tailback for six. 2'nd and 2, we snapped with 41 seconds left, no dice, gain of one. On third and goal from the 1 and :20 on the clock, I called a QB choice which worked as our QB went in for the score. The extra point was good, 35-34 with 18 seconds left. We got a good kick, good coverage, and two quick short passes to end things. We're 4-0 at this point and looking solid despite the loss of our best player. Wesley Carroll had only 4 incompletions, all to the other team. 2 picks were off tipped passes, 1 I just didn't see the guy, and the other I basically dared him to pick it (and he did) but we survived.
Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

What exactly did you redact, Wade?
Old 11-12-2008, 07:11 AM   #16
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
What exactly did you redact, Wade?

Thre's a reason it was redacted.

But, if you insist.

It was along the lines of this:

You give the old "we all lose" line. Well, no one is having anywhere close to as hard of a time as me. Even if you throw out the fact that I've been screwed by two xbox deaths at very crucial times (the end of recruiting last year, all of off-season recruiting this year, and the first two cupcake games this year became losses) - when I have had my xbox it's just a totally different game. I think everyone (or at least most everyone) has beaten a ranked opponent - and pummeled several opponents.

I lost to Maryland. I had the worst recruiting class of all humans last year. I'm sure I'm on pace for the same this year looking at my recruiting board.

You just can't compare what other teams have gone through to what I have gone through.

Sorry I care about my team - but I didn't join this league to sit here and lose every week. For whatever reason my ability to win took a distinct turn when the slider settings were changed. I don't know what that is - but I know that I barely beat Duke and lost to Maryland while other teams are beating top 5 teams.

Quote:
Old 11-12-2008, 07:23 AM   #17
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Wade, I can completely understand. My second league switched to Heisman and became a nightmare for most of the players which is why it fell apart. There is no fun when you don't feel like you have a chance to win, particularly against the teams that, frankly, you should beat. I'm used to the slider switch now but still get those annoying moments (had one vs. Auburn although we didn't allow a kick return for a TD, breaking our eight game run!) where some guy busts nine tackles despite being set for a five yard loss and runs 70 for a td.

I'm starting to open up the playbook a lot more now but here was my early adjustment Wade:

1- Shorten the game. I ran the ball a crap load in our early switch. I find the weak spot in their line and hammer, hammer, hammer. This keeps things from getting too out of control.

2- I worked on two moves (and only two moves). I liked the juke and the truck or plow. I'm currently working the spin and the stiff arm but those two helped a lot early.

3- When you do have to throw, quick throws or rolling the pocket was big (just make sure your QB's feet are set). I went into practice mode and ran several of the quick pass plays (slants, outs, crosses) against random computer dime D's probably a hundred or so times each just to get used to reading/reacting to the defense.

4- Defensively, I'm still working on it. I was doing well last year but we dropped from a 79 in D to a 72. I avoid using players in the secondary because too many big mistakes can happen, same with middle linebacker. I recommend either D-line or outside linebacker. I will switch to a secondary player during a pass though as I know I react better than the X-Box. Robo-QB still happens but shortening the game via the run and keeping down the big plays, makes for longer drives against me (more chance for a pick frankly) than the quick one-hitters I was giving up.

I hope this wasn't basic info but actually helpful.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:44 AM   #18
Logan
Head Coach

Wade, I'm sure part of your problem is that since you haven't had your 360 you just haven't been playing enough. It's a harder game when you're going 3 weeks in between practice. When we switched the sliders, it became a much better game, and I think it will be something you notice once you're playing for a month straight like the rest of us.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #19
PurdueBrad
Grizzled Veteran

Oh, and Wade, one more hint. If you have a wife and she is yelling, "Y, Y, throw it to Y", just throw it to B like you originally planned.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:49 PM   #20
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueBrad View Post
4- Defensively, I'm still working on it. I was doing well last year but we dropped from a 79 in D to a 72. I avoid using players in the secondary because too many big mistakes can happen, same with middle linebacker. I recommend either D-line or outside linebacker. I will switch to a secondary player during a pass though as I know I react better than the X-Box. Robo-QB still happens but shortening the game via the run and keeping down the big plays, makes for longer drives against me (more chance for a pick frankly) than the quick one-hitters I was giving up.

This is still my biggest problem. Against the CPU my strategy is entirely 'bend but dont break', against most teams if I can just prevent the big play they will eventually make a mistake. Unfortunately the fact that the CPU playcalling is occasionally a bit suspect makes this pretty likely over the course of an 80 yard drive if you hold them to 10 yards or less every play.

I almost always control a DT until its time to switch players to make a tackle. I am beginning to control a LB to better react to the run sometimes(switching to a lineman if I see the other team come out to pass) which helps against the run.

Against human players this isn't working at all because I am just allowing myself to get picked apart for TD after TD. I'm just not sure what to do different other than recruit more speed and better players every chance I get on defense.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:50 PM   #21
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Grams playin' now so we'll advance soon.