Old 10-10-2008, 08:47 PM   #602
General Mike
Pro Starter

$2.959 for regular
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #603
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

$3.49 for regular tonight, cheapest I can remember seeing it in months.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #604
Lorena
Unregistered

$3.08
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:00 AM   #605
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

$2.99
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 08:18 AM   #606
tarcone
Coordinator

$3.09 last night. Almost filled my van for $50. That surprised me.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #607
A-Husker-4-Life
College Prospect

$2.92 - I feel it just going to go lower and stall out around 2.50
Old 10-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #608
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Remember how everyone was saying how bad high oil and gas prices were for the economy and they were demanding the government do something about it? But I had said there are those that relished in the high prices and would push to make them higher. Now time.com is reporting that maybe high prices weren't so bad (or high) after all since the downward spiral could mean trouble for oil-rich countries and for the environment. Do you think that the future Democratic govt would push for higher prices in order to eliminate the demand of domestic oil production, less greenhouse emissions and preventing more trouble with oil-producing nations? Do you think this would be a good solution knowing the toll it would take on consumers?
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #609
tarcone
Coordinator

12 hours later it is $2.89
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #610
Lorena
Unregistered

I was driving up to Walmart and noticed a gas station selling gas at 2.99 and wondered how cheap it'd be at Valero (the gas station right by Wal-Mart). I was a little surprised to see it at 3.07, but it seemed to have dropped a penny from the day before. I do some shopping, come out and it dropped to 2.96.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #611
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Remember how everyone was saying how bad high oil and gas prices were for the economy and they were demanding the government do something about it? But I had said there are those that relished in the high prices and would push to make them higher. Now time.com is reporting that maybe high prices weren't so bad (or high) after all since the downward spiral could mean trouble for oil-rich countries and for the environment. Do you think that the future Democratic govt would push for higher prices in order to eliminate the demand of domestic oil production, less greenhouse emissions and preventing more trouble with oil-producing nations? Do you think this would be a good solution knowing the toll it would take on consumers?

If given a "perfect" world, I'd have loved a $2 or so per gallon gas tax with the money set aside for alternative fuel research. A clean, inexpensive (relatively for power, anyways), efficient energy source will be the next great economic "boom" innovation.

Unfortunately, in our current economic situation, it wouldn't be prudent to further cripple consumers.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #612
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

If the prices return to low levels and stay there, that's true.

On the other hand, a LOT of the plunge in prices is related to oil dropping below $70/barrel, which is in turn happening because speculators are expecting the economy to cause a reduction in demand, be it business demand or consumer demand (more worries about the pocketbook = less desire to travel frivolously, etc).

Also, an anecdote about California before I left - the high gas prices were already causing people to reduce demand such that the state highway fund, which derived income largely from the state gas tax, was in significant danger of going bankrupt by the end of the year.

Now, it's all well and good if you want to push for a reduction to cut greenhouse emissions, reduce dependency on the middle east, etc, but you still need a contingency plan for how to cover the expenses that the gas taxes currently provide for and you need a sensible, workable, widespread mass transit solution available *now* to allow people to continue to work and consume to keep the economy going or even to make it grow.

Adding additional taxes on oil consumption will absolutely have the effect of reducing demand, but it would not have a positive effect on SI's idea, which is "use that money to fund alternative fuel research." As consumption drops, so do the taxes collected.

I think we'll see a push to spend money towards alternative energy solutions, but I doubt very much if that funding is going to come from added gas taxes, especially heading into what many think will be a deep recession. Great way to get booted on your ass in two years' time if the economy hasn't gotten vigorous again by then.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #613
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Josh, that was great response and I am in agreement with it. I, personally, have been a long time conservationist, to the point where my monthly gas consumption runs about $40-50. But it's hard for me to apply that nationally or to federal policies (partly because I believe one can have more influence on change by take personal actions/responsibilities). It seems that when oil and gas prices were soaring, everyone was screaming to kill those oil company bastards and for the federal govt to do something. It obviously wasn't that easy so there are many dichotomies and catch-22 situations. But we need monsters and enemies to attack and I believe it will only get worse (in the attacks against the wrong targets and creating punitive legislation instead of enabling ones).
Old 10-12-2008, 11:39 AM   #614
stevew
Hall Of Famer

259 today when I was in canton.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:23 PM   #615
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Bought gas yesterday for $2.47. Filled up the tank for less then $40 for the first time in a while, very nice.

Also, I believe I heard the last time oil was under $70 a barrel that gas prices were under $2 a gallon? Anyone confirm this, I am not sure were to check if that was BS or not.....
Old 10-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #616
Buccaneer
Head Coach

What few times I go to get gas, I've only been putting in about 5-6 gallons at a time because I know when I come back 2 weeks later, it'll be cheaper.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 PM   #617
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
What few times I go to get gas, I've only been putting in about 5-6 gallons at a time because I know when I come back 2 weeks later, it'll be cheaper.

If I used that little gas then that would be the way to go for sure. I will need to fill up in a couple days again though. Or I would be doing it almost every day the way you do it.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #618
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Filled up this morning in Kansas City for $2.25/gallon. It seems like it drops a penny or two every day right now.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #619
rjolley
College Starter

Last fill-up: $4.09/gallon
Today's fill-up: $2.89/gallon

I'd love to see prices stay around this level, but I don't see that happening.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:42 PM   #620
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Last fill-up: $4.09/gallon
Today's fill-up: $2.89/gallon

I'd love to see prices stay around this level, but I don't see that happening.

I'd be surprised if they didn't drop further to be honest. AAA expects sub-$2 gas prices by early next year in this area with very little increase above that in 2009. Add in that the oil producing nations expect a decline in worldwide demand in 2009 for the first time ever and I'd be shocked if further price reductions aren't forthcoming.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 10-15-2008 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:53 PM   #621
rjolley
College Starter

If that's true, that would be excellent. I'd still like them to stay high so I have another excuse to work from home more often.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #622
JediKooter
Coordinator

$3.49 is the cheapest I've seen in Santa Clara where I'm at.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:21 PM   #623
Lorena
Unregistered

Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 AM   #624
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
$3.49 is the cheapest I've seen in Santa Clara where I'm at.

I went out to San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. The first words out of my mouth after we left the airport were, "you're paying $3.60 for gas?????". Y'all are getting hosed out in California.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 AM   #625
Buccaneer
Head Coach

They do pay quite a bit more in state taxes per gallon, I believe. Always been that way (much higher that the rest of the 48). The only exception was when everyone was paying $4+ this summer, they weren't too much different when I went out there.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #626
SackAttack
Head Coach

When everyone else was paying $4, Californians were paying nearly $5, and were in fact paying more than that in some of the more rural towns.

The one time all year I can remember California gas being pretty much on par with other parts of the country was this past September. I don't know if the price dropped more suddenly there, or if other places simply were slower to start to correct, but when I flew out here for job interviews, gas was actually slightly more expensive here than it had been in Santa Clarita.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #627
molson
General Manager

I wish I knew what the hell's going on in Idaho.

When I moved out here in 2006, Idaho had some of the cheapest gas in the country. But while we go up with everyone else, we tend to stay the same when everyone else goes down. We're still looking at $3.30-$3.40 around here, 4th highest in the country.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:17 PM   #628
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I went out to San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. The first words out of my mouth after we left the airport were, "you're paying $3.60 for gas?????". Y'all are getting hosed out in California.

It's pretty bad up there. I'm actually glad I do not live or work up there.

Silicon Valley isn't much of price break, but, where I live and where I work is only 9 stop lights from each other and the drivers here are so horrible, I really don't do any extra driving unless I have to, which because of that, I usually have to fill up about every 3 weeks. So, it's tollerable.

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:53 PM   #629
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer View Post
Bought gas yesterday for $2.47. Filled up the tank for less then $40 for the first time in a while, very nice.

Also, I believe I heard the last time oil was under $70 a barrel that gas prices were under $2 a gallon? Anyone confirm this, I am not sure were to check if that was BS or not.....

I don't know about that but I do recall it being slightly sub $3 or so last year when the Oil was priced around $75/barrel (its presently just over $3 at most stations here - $3.02 I think is the cheapest I've seen).
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:04 AM   #630
TazFTW
Pro Rookie

$3.67

Fire Ron Lee.
TazFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:27 PM   #631
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Take that, OPEC.

The international oil cartel agreed Friday to cut daily production by 1.5 million barrels in a move to drive up prices on the international market — and, at the gas pump.

But, crude oil futures went in the other direction, falling 5 percent Friday in London trading on speculation that demand will continue to fall.

Oil fell sharply in morning trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, with light sweet crude priced for December delivery at $64.40.

Hardline OPEC members Iran and Venezuela had been pushing members to slice production by 2 million barrels a day, with Iran's oil minister declaring, "The era of cheap oil is finished." When asked before Friday's meeting what price Iran would want for its oil, Gholam Hossein Nozari boasted, "The more the better."

OPEC, meanwhile, cited lower demand and market surpluses as reason for reducing output.

"The financial crisis is already having a noticeable impact on the world economy, dampening the demand for energy...and oil in particular," OPEC said in a press release after the decision was announced. "This slowdown in oil demand is serving to exacerbate the situation in a market which has been oversupplied with crude for some time."

It also noted that the collapse in oil prices — which have fallen over 55 percent since their mid-July peaks — may jeopardize oil projects and threaten supply growth in the medium term.

Iran is a traditional OPEC hardliner on prices and production and is the second largest producer within the organization. Saudi Arabia leads OPEC production, and was expected to lobby ministers for a smaller cut than proposed by Iran and Venezuela.

Iran has taken a liking to astronomical oil prices, using its newfound wealth to fuel its nuclear program in defiance of the U.S. and the global community.

Sam Gault, president of Gault Inc., a fifth-generation, family-owned oil business in Westport, Conn., said the Saudis still control OPEC's actions.

"Its really going to come down to whether Saudi Arabia wants to cut production, because they're the ones that can afford to cut production," Gault told FOXNews.com. "A lot of times the different members of OPEC wind up cheating on their quotas."

Analysts at JBC Energy in Vienna, Austria, said that the oil cartel is likely to request non-OPEC producers, including Russia, to cooperate with them "in order to hinder the price slide."

"Behind the scenes negotiations (with Russia) are going on and a well-publicized joint cut is still possible," the analysts wrote in a report Thursday.

Over the last four weeks, gasoline demand fell 4.3 percent from the same period last year,a ccording to industry analysts. Distillate fuel demand was down 5.8 percent, and jet fuel demand was down 9.2 percent.

I love that conservation is still taking effect - I hope that continues. I also love that Iran and Venezuala are feeling the pinch - couldn't happen to two nicer guys. There were those that bemoaned that high oil/gas prices will now be permanent (for a variety of reasons) - history has shown and still shows us otherwise.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #632
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I love that conservation is still taking effect - I hope that continues. I also love that Iran and Venezuala are feeling the pinch - couldn't happen to two nicer guys. There were those that bemoaned that high oil/gas prices will now be permanent (for a variety of reasons) - history has shown and still shows us otherwise.

I agree on all points except for the common implication that gas prices will "always" come back down. There will be a point where they won't, and that's one of the dozens of reasons developing alternative energies is so important. I really wish our country would make this a priority, but fear that there will always be enough to distract us from really going after it (until the point where gas really doesn't come back down).

Last edited by molson : 10-24-2008 at 05:37 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:51 PM   #633
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I agree on all points except for the common implication that gas prices will "always" come back down. There will be a point where they won't, and that's one of the dozens of reasons developing alternative energies is so important. I really wish our country would make this a priority, but fear that there will always be enough to distract us from really going after it (until the point where gas really doesn't come back down).

I agree. The implication was that things will always change, not that it will always come down. I guess it is human nature to believe that while we are in the midst of an "event" (like war or crises), that it's hard to see out of it and think that there will be no change or end.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #634
Lorena
Unregistered

2.38 for regular unleaded
Old 10-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #635
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
2.38 for regular unleaded

wow, I thought the 2.95 here was low
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #636
JeeberD
General Manager

The Walmart in Denton was at $2.35 the other day, and the next lowest I saw was $2.47. Weird...

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #637
duckman
Pro Starter

$2.099 for E-10
$2.199 for gasoline
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #638
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

There's a 2.05 down the street here in Richmond. However, I saw it was mentioned on the news as the lowest in town.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #639
Lorena
Unregistered

Old 10-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #640
stevew
Hall Of Famer

paid 2.29 last night in ohio. The ones in town are still 2.85 though. Really would add up if I filled up in town nightly, instead of doing it on the road.

I imagine someone's going to see 1.99 soon.

Last edited by stevew : 10-26-2008 at 09:29 PM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:56 AM   #641
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Paid 2.50 in Grand Forks yesterday.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:10 AM   #642
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Price continues to plunge in this area. Filled up for $1.99 this morning. Gas station owner said he expects it to drop another 8-10 cents by next Sunday.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 AM   #643
Butter
Coordinator

$2.169 to $2.199 reported in my area of Dayton today.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #644
sooner333
College Starter

$1.99
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:01 PM   #645
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

$2.75 is about the lowest I have seen between DC and Falls Church, VA. I'm sure it is lower in the farther out suburbs.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #646
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

still hovering around 2.89 here. I an amazed it is under 2 in some places
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #647
rjolley
College Starter

We're at $2.35 near home, $2.55 closer to the city.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:37 PM   #648
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

It is $1.95 here, has been for about 4-5 days.
Old 10-27-2008, 06:00 PM   #649
Raiders Army
Coordinator

$1.979 for regular.
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #650
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Paid $2.869 for regular in Rockville/Shady Grove this afternoon.
Prices in Ashburn/Dulles ranged from $2.429 to $2.879, based on what I saw when I got back into the area.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote