Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-21-2004, 03:56 AM   #1
Vince
Pro Starter

Interesting Referee Utterances

Seems that a lot of times, referees get mighty nervous when they have to address an entire stadium...they seem to mis-speak and stutter quite often.

Did anyone else hear this over the weekend? I believe it was in the Bills/Raiders game, near the beginning of the game. Referee gets on the mike to explain a false start penalty -

"False start...everyone but the center. 5 yard penalty, repeat 1st down."

My roommates and I have been joking about it all weekend; we thought it was hilarious.
Every time a Dodger scores a run, an angel has its wings ripped off by a demon, and is forced to tearfully beg the demon to cauterize the wounds.The demon will refuse, and the sobbing angel will lie in a puddle of angel blood and feathers for eternity, wondering why the Dodgers are allowed to score runs.That’s not me talking: that’s science. McCoveyChronicles.com.

Vince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:36 AM   #2
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yes I caught that on NFL Update over here yesterday, I thought it was the Dolphins against the Bengals but I could be wrong, just had it on in the background and that caught my attention.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:37 AM   #3
Blackadar
Retired

My favorite of all time. I think it was during a Bills game.

"Unsportsmanlike Conduct. He was giving him the business down there. (accompanied by wild hand gestures) That's a 15 yard penalty, first down!"
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:52 AM   #4
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar

"Unsportsmanlike Conduct. He was giving him the business down there. (accompanied by wild hand gestures) That's a 15 yard penalty, first down!"

Yep, that was Ben Dreith. Best. Call. Ever.

I also heard the first one, which was pretty damn funny. I don't remember which game it was, though.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:16 AM   #5
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah it was the Bengal game. That was the only game I was able to catch this weekend.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:39 AM   #6
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince

My roommates and I have been joking about it all weekend; we thought it was hilarious.

If it really was the Bengals game, then you didn't have much of the weekend left to joke about it!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-21-2004, 08:52 AM   #7
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

One of my favorites:

"False start. Offense. Practically the entire offensive line."

Practically?!
Old 09-21-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

I kind of liked the ref who just completely lost track of what he was saying in the Monday Night game when he tried to explain that McNabb was not a legal receiver. Made even better by the fact that they had no clue that it wasn';t a legal play at first.

When that play happened, all I could think was get to center and snap the dam ball... quick. But then they stopped the game and did their little ref circle jerk formation to discuss the play.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:31 AM   #9
MrBug708
Head Coach

It made it worst when he stuttered and the Philly fans got on his case
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:28 PM   #10
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Seems that a lot of times, referees get mighty nervous when they have to address an entire stadium...they seem to mis-speak and stutter quite often.

Did anyone else hear this over the weekend? I believe it was in the Bills/Raiders game, near the beginning of the game. Referee gets on the mike to explain a false start penalty -

I may be wrong, but I think that the reason for this is the league told referees to identify players on all penalties this year.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 02:33 PM   #11
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney
I may be wrong, but I think that the reason for this is the league told referees to identify players on all penalties this year.

They are always supposed to give a number. I thought his call was better. Very entertaining.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #12
airulf
H.S. Freshman Team

Oh my god. As if I am not a nerve wreck already.

On saturday I will be the referee in the final for the Danish national championship in american football for kids under 19 years.

I reffed about 17 or 18 games this year, but this one is quite special, as it is obviously a very important game.

Also. For the first time ever I will be wearing a microphone to anounce the calls on the field.

Got to stop thinking about this. Its just another game dammit.
airulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 06:55 PM   #13
ahbrady
High School JV

Quote:

When I saw the title of this thread, this immediately came to mind. This is clearly the funniest ref moment I can recall.
ahbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:36 PM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airulf
Oh my god. As if I am not a nerve wreck already.

On saturday I will be the referee in the final for the Danish national championship in american football for kids under 19 years.

I reffed about 17 or 18 games this year, but this one is quite special, as it is obviously a very important game.

Also. For the first time ever I will be wearing a microphone to anounce the calls on the field.

Got to stop thinking about this. Its just another game dammit.

Wow, congrats! Getting assigned to big games is always special for any referee, a national championship is a big game indeed! Way to go!!!

FM
Old 09-21-2004, 07:44 PM   #15
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:

I remember that and I agree it was the best call ever.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 07:54 PM   #16
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

I love any moment when the ref gets flustered while trying to explain a call. You can even tell who's going to have trouble before they start -- if the call is slightly complicated and it's not Ed Hochuli or one of the two black refs, it's going to be a mess.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:20 PM   #17
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
I love any moment when the ref gets flustered while trying to explain a call. You can even tell who's going to have trouble before they start -- if the call is slightly complicated and it's not Ed Hochuli or one of the two black refs, it's going to be a mess.

Agreed. Ed Hochuli, Mike Carey, and Johnny Grier are the best by far. It's not that the others are necessarily bad, but those three are always very clear.
Old 09-21-2004, 08:39 PM   #18
clintl
College Starter

Ben Dreith was my all-time favorite, just because every time he announced a penalty, he made it sound like the guy committed a major felony.
clintl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #19
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintl
Ben Dreith was my all-time favorite, just because every time he announced a penalty, he made it sound like the guy committed a major felony.

I don't remember Ben Dreith. I wish I could.
Old 09-21-2004, 09:24 PM   #20
Ksyrup

Dreith was the ref who called roughing the passer against the Pats in a playoff game against the Raiders, 25 years before the Pats got their revenge in the infamous snow game.

I also found this story from a former Raiders' player about John Madden and Dreith, which is pretty funny:

I can remember some of the instances where John’s, I wouldn’t call it sportsmanship, gamesmanship was working. I remember playing the Pittsburgh Steelers in the playoffs and one of the things we had problems with during that time were officials. The officials were very tough on us as a team. An official by the name of Ben Dreith was very hard on our team. John always knew if Ben was officiating, it was going to be a long day unless he could figure out a way for Ben to lighten up. John saw Ben Dreith coming his way and he said to us, “It’s going to be a rough day today. ” John turned to Ben and said, “You know, Ben, my coaches and players voted you the second best official in the NFL.” This big smile came over Ben’s face and that day we had no penalties. We were walking off the field, we beat the Steelers and went on to win the Super Bowl that year, after the game and Ben ran up to John and said, “Coach, I’m interested in something. I appreciate your team taking a vote and voting me the second best official in the NFL, but who was number one?” John looked at him with a big smile and said, “All 32 of the officials.”
Old 09-21-2004, 11:00 PM   #21
zums
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally posted by mckerney

that's a new rule in college this year, where previously no numbers were given for any penalties..

-zums
zums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:18 PM   #22
Zē+
High School JV

Does anyone know if there's a website that has "highlights" of these types of NFL referee blunders? I've done some searching, but haven't come across anything.

I remember a game a few years back where Jeff Triplette was trying to give an explanation of what he saw on the replay review, and couldn't think how he wanted to say "butt" and stuttered for a few seconds -- "the ball carrier's ...uh...uhhhhh....behind....hit the ground before the ball came loose."

Ed Hochuli goes through a thesis presentation each time he explains a review, which is better than most of the rest, who simply say "the ruling on the field stands" with no explanation of what or why.

Bernie Kukar is the worst. He seems to have trouble spitting our coherent sentences most of the time.

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Zē+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:25 PM   #23
robbgmaier
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan
I kind of liked the ref who just completely lost track of what he was saying in the Monday Night game when he tried to explain that McNabb was not a legal receiver. Made even better by the fact that they had no clue that it wasn';t a legal play at first.

When that play happened, all I could think was get to center and snap the dam ball... quick. But then they stopped the game and did their little ref circle jerk formation to discuss the play.

um.....whut happened here? I missed it i guess.
robbgmaier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 11:27 PM   #24
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbgmaier

McNabb handed off to westbrook (i think) or maybe it was a receiver, anyway, they passed back to mcnabb, but it was illegal because he was in the shotgun instead of under center... or maybe he was under center and it was illegal... shit I'm sounding like the damn ref. Either way, its a gay rule.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 01:04 AM   #25
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

My written impression of Ed Hochuli: "When the ball left the quarterback's hand, it was not a fumble. It was a forward pass which was touched by a defensive player before it hit the formerly ineligible offensive lineman. From there, the ball bounced back into the hands of the quarterback who made a legal backwards lateral to the receiver. However, the receiver's forward pass back to the quarterback was illegal, as it was a second forward pass. Five yard penalty. Repeat second down."

My written impression of Bernie Kukar on the same type of play: "QUARTERBACK THREW THE BALL COMPLETE TO HIMSELF OFF A TIP. RECEIVER THREW THE BALL FORWARD AGAIN. THAT IS A PENALTY. FIVE YARDS. STILL SECOND DOAN."

Because Bernie Kukar says "doan," see?
Old 09-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #26
Zē+
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors
My written impression of Ed Hochuli: "When the ball left the quarterback's hand, it was not a fumble. It was a forward pass which was touched by a defensive player before it hit the formerly ineligible offensive lineman. From there, the ball bounced back into the hands of the quarterback who made a legal backwards lateral to the receiver. However, the receiver's forward pass back to the quarterback was illegal, as it was a second forward pass. Five yard penalty. Repeat second down."

My written impression of Bernie Kukar on the same type of play: "QUARTERBACK THREW THE BALL COMPLETE TO HIMSELF OFF A TIP. RECEIVER THREW THE BALL FORWARD AGAIN. THAT IS A PENALTY. FIVE YARDS. STILL SECOND DOAN."

Because Bernie Kukar says "doan," see?

Outstanding, well done. Hochuli is like the kind uncle gently explaining the situation to you. Kukar is like the cantankerous old curmudgeon who yells at you and is pissed off he even has to talk. He seems like he is angry and bitter all the time. Often, he doesn't even bother to announce the yardage on a penalty. "Pass interfernce, 22 defense. First down." "False start, number 10. Still third down."

At least Bob McElwee and Dick Hantak are gone this year too. Their age was definitely starting to show.

As stated above, Hochuli, Mike Carey, and Johnny Grier all do outstanding jobs. I'd add Tony Corrente and Larry Nemmers to that elite group as well.

Kukar, Triplette, and Ron Blum are the worst, with Kukar taking the cake for the aforementioned reasons.

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Old 09-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #27
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zē+
Hochuli is like the kind uncle gently explaining the situation to you.

Except that said uncle has spent a lot of time in the weight room and if you tick him off he'll rip you in half. I'm always surprised that Hochuli doesn't menace DBs and WRs more....

Somewhat OT: If anyone's watched Italian soccer (or a lot of the Champions' League), you've got to be a fan of referee Pierluigi Collina. He's bald, about 6'4", and just has this glare. It's hilarious to see him blow the whistle for a foul, watch the fouler start to complain, and Collina looks around with that glare, and the guy just shuts up.

It helps that he's an incredible ref. A few years ago I saw a game he reffed where it looked like he got at least 3 calls absolutely wrong. However, when they did the slow-mo replays, it was clear that he was absolutely right. Regular speed - looked wrong. Slow-mo, clearly correct. The guy's amazing.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:33 AM   #28
airulf
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogMan
Wow, congrats! Getting assigned to big games is always special for any referee, a national championship is a big game indeed! Way to go!!!

FM

Thanks.

Yes I am really happy about it.
I am pretty surprised too. I just started being a ref last season, so being the ref for the junior final in just my second year is a really big pat on the shoulder.

It is pretty tought though. It takes a lot of my time. It is almost every weekend, whenever I go to ref a game, the whole day is practically gone.

I also play myself, so sometimes I ref a game on saturday and play on sunday, or the other way around, quite exhausting.
airulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:44 AM   #29
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by airulf
Thanks.

Yes I am really happy about it.
I am pretty surprised too. I just started being a ref last season, so being the ref for the junior final in just my second year is a really big pat on the shoulder.

It is pretty tought though. It takes a lot of my time. It is almost every weekend, whenever I go to ref a game, the whole day is practically gone.

I also play myself, so sometimes I ref a game on saturday and play on sunday, or the other way around, quite exhausting.

I'm very impressed, good show.

I know what you mean about it taking a lot of time. I was a hockey and soccer referee for 8 years. At first, officiating in little leagues, but many games a day, it took complete weekends of my free time. When I moved up the ladder, I became a linesman in hockey, at a provincial level, and then it was about officiating out of town and stuff like that, having to be at the rink an hour or more before the game, usually took the whole day...

Thinking about it brings back cool memories though

FM
Old 09-22-2004, 03:32 PM   #30
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbgmaier
McNabb took a snap from under center and threw a lateral pass to one of the wide receivers -- I don't remember who, but it wasn't Westbrook... it's a guy who's thrown a pass for them in a game before. The guy looked around for someone to pass to, and apparently the intended receiver was well-covered. McNabb was open and called for the ball, and the wide receiver threw a forward pass to McNabb, who then recorded a modest gain (maybe five to seven yards, I don't think he got the first down).

The problem was, because he took the snap from under center, McNabb was not an eligible receiver. He would have been eligible if he'd taken a shotgun snap.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 03:44 PM   #31
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zē+
At least Bob McElwee and Dick Hantak are gone this year too. Their age was definitely starting to show. As stated above, Hochuli, Mike Carey, and Johnny Grier all do outstanding jobs. I'd add Tony Corrente and Larry Nemmers to that elite group as well. Kukar, Triplette, and Ron Blum are the worst, with Kukar taking the cake for the aforementioned reasons.

No clue who any of these guys are. Of course, if they had little pictures next to their names, I think I'd know all of them. What, do you guys pay really close attention to the start-of-game introductions or something?
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:03 PM   #32
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celeval
No clue who any of these guys are. Of course, if they had little pictures next to their names, I think I'd know all of them. What, do you guys pay really close attention to the start-of-game introductions or something?

I don't know who all of those names were, but you have GOT to know Ed Hoculi. That guy is the buffest referee, he's a full time lawyer as well as a referee, and he gives the most complete descriptions of calls ever heard by man. He also has the squarest jaw and face - a fairly attractive man. Hope that helps.

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:09 PM   #33
Joe
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety
I don't know who all of those names were, but you have GOT to know Ed Hoculi. That guy is the buffest referee, he's a full time lawyer as well as a referee, and he gives the most complete descriptions of calls ever heard by man. He also has the squarest jaw and face - a fairly attractive man. Hope that helps.

-Anxiety

Yep... I'd hit it.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:50 PM   #34
Zē+
High School JV

Quote:

One of my goals is to be a Division 1 Collegiate or NFL official, so I pay almost as much attention to the referees and their actions as I do to the game itself. A true grognard.

P-I-T-T Let's go Pitt!
Old 09-22-2004, 09:55 PM   #35
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

I had forgotten about Larry Nemmers. He's very good. I find Tony Corrente kinda boring (but then again, he's a referee, so I guess I shouldn't expect anything too exciting). I think Gerry Austin could kick almost anybody's ass. He just looks like a mean mofo. I expect Tom White to just keel over at any second. It will happen on television one day. Just you wait.

Anyway, here.

Ed Hochuli :

Bernie Kukar (in the middle):
Old 09-22-2004, 10:06 PM   #36
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:

After you've been an official for a few years, in about any sport, you start noticing these things, like who does a good job, and who doesn't. That's why I pay attention to the names of the refs anyway. Although I gotta agree that if you follow the NFL even just a little, you've gotta know some of them like Ed Hochuli, Mike Carey, or Johnny Grier to name a few...

FM
Old 10-03-2004, 03:12 PM   #37
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Is anyone watching the Eagles/Bears game? They had a defensive off-side and an offensive illegal motion on the same play. The offensive penalty was before the snap, meaning the play never happened, meaning the defensive penalty didn't count, meaning the clock resets to the time before the play, but then there's a ten second run-off because there's under a minute to go.

It took Hochuli about 45 seconds to go through the explanation. He never stumbled once. He's a machine.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:45 PM   #38
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
Is anyone watching the Eagles/Bears game? They had a defensive off-side and an offensive illegal motion on the same play. The offensive penalty was before the snap, meaning the play never happened, meaning the defensive penalty didn't count, meaning the clock resets to the time before the play, but then there's a ten second run-off because there's under a minute to go.

It took Hochuli about 45 seconds to go through the explanation. He never stumbled once. He's a machine.

lol...yeah, I saw it. He did good.

I didn't see this thread before. It made me think of something I saw a couple years ago (although I'll be damned if I can remember what game it was or what exact year it was--pretty sure it was a Monday night game).

Anyway, apparently there was no love lost between a defense and the running back they were facing, because after one play, he got tackled, and they all piled onto him, with some coming in really late (literally jumping on top of the pile).

So the refs discuss this for awhile, assessing if unsportsmanlikes need to be handed out or any other penalties.

Finally, a guy comes out, and goes into this longwinded explanation of their call, which he called "diving" (is there an actual foul with that name?). My friends and I watching the game cracked up, though, when he said diving, because at the moment he did it, he made a diving motion, as in hands in upraised prayer position and then diving hands forward, as if he was on the edge of a diving board.

I think the explanation took over a minute.

CR

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote