Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-25-2020, 03:34 PM   #601
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
That was probably the best week of endings I’ve seen. RedZone really shines in these kind of weeks.

Yeah almost all of them came down to the wire. Fun Football.

And speaking of fun football, its snowing in Denver for their game against KC
Old 10-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #602
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Patriots look ... not like the Patriots.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 06:27 PM   #603
Drake
assmaster

Gardner Minshew's facial hair is enough to make me question my sexual orientation.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:38 PM   #604
molson
General Manager

Tom Brady is just unbelievable. 43 years old, 369 Yards and 4 TDS, Antonio Brown showing up this week. Looks like I won't have much to root for in New England this year but I'm definitely on team Tompa Bay.

There's also the angle that I believe this is the last major pro teams sports player who was drafted when I was still in college, which blows my mind. (unless someone signs Adam Vinatieri)

Last edited by molson : 10-25-2020 at 10:39 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:49 PM   #605
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
There's also the angle that I believe this is the last major pro teams sports player who was drafted when I was still in college, which blows my mind. (unless someone signs Adam Vinatieri)

Along the same lines, the other day I read something about Vince Carter playing in four different decades, which blew my mind.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:03 PM   #606
cuervo72
Head Coach

Boy did the Cardinals cock THAT up. Don’t drain clock, go for any more yards, or anything like that. Nooooo.
Old 10-25-2020, 11:13 PM   #607
cuervo72
Head Coach

Well, they got lucky but I still think they screwed up that drive.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #608
Ksyrup

That was a fun game.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #609
JPhillips
General Manager

Things going swimmingly in Cincy. Players fighting with coaches. Players tweeting about how they're unhappy. Trade demands. Players tweeting about other players.

Meanwhile, Joe Burrow really looks good.
Old 10-26-2020, 08:33 AM   #610
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Things going swimmingly in Cincy. Players fighting with coaches. Players tweeting about how they're unhappy. Trade demands. Players tweeting about other players.

Meanwhile, Joe Burrow really looks good.

Not a Bengals fan, but being local, I do not understand this at all. From the outside looking in, the team has been competitive. The two issues are the offensive line and the entirety of the defense. You are not going to win many games giving up 37 points. Most of the players complaining are older players who have not been doing squat this year.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #611
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

What an incredible game last night. Kyler Murray is definitely better than I thought he would be.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:54 AM   #612
Thomkal
Head Coach

Very happy to see my beloved Cards win that game after never leading in it until they won in OT. Seems like no one may have a strong defense in that division though. I really hope the Kenyon Drake injury is not too serious.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #613
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFC West is as good as the NFC East is bad.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM   #614
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Not a Bengals fan, but being local, I do not understand this at all. From the outside looking in, the team has been competitive. The two issues are the offensive line and the entirety of the defense. You are not going to win many games giving up 37 points. Most of the players complaining are older players who have not been doing squat this year.

It's the cycle of life Bengals style.

Older players are disgruntled and demand to leave
Older players are replaced by young, exciting players
Fans think, man, if things go right...
Things do not go right
Young players get old

Repeat ad infinitum.

This has been the cycle for the entirety of the Mie Brown years.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #615
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't be the only one waiting for the Jerry panic trade for Matt Ryan.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #616
spleen1015
Coordinator

If I'm Jerry, I suck it up for a good draft pick. Hope was lost when Dak went down anyway.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:22 AM   #617
Swaggs
Coordinator

At least the Bengals look like they have a top 5 QB for the next 10-15 years. I think a lot of their struggles are that the Steelers and Ravens are organizations that are run exceptionally well. With Ben being basically day-to-day/year-to-year (and the Steelers are going to have to take a season, at some point soon, to absorb all the cap that they have been pushing forward) and Jackson getting hit 150-200 times a year, I think the Bengals could be pretty good soon.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 10:23 AM   #618
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They're a half game out of first midway thru the season!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:46 AM   #619
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
At least the Bengals look like they have a top 5 QB for the next 10-15 years. I think a lot of their struggles are that the Steelers and Ravens are organizations that are run exceptionally well. With Ben being basically day-to-day/year-to-year (and the Steelers are going to have to take a season, at some point soon, to absorb all the cap that they have been pushing forward) and Jackson getting hit 150-200 times a year, I think the Bengals could be pretty good soon.

Burrow looks great and Taylor seems to be a good offensive mind. The problem is Mike Brown, and until that goes away they'll always underperform.

btw - Each game convinces me more that Marvin Lewis was a HoF head coach to win like he did under Brown. Look at his win percentage compared to the other HCs of the Mike Brown era.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:19 AM   #620
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
What an incredible game last night. Kyler Murray is definitely better than I thought he would be.

Same goes for Kliff Kingsbury. He botched the field goal attempt, but overall he's done a great job in Arizona and is a far better coach in the NFL than he was at Tech.

He has his WTF moments, but his playcalling and play design are as good as anyone. The run call with 12 seconds left and no timeouts to set up the game tying field goal was brilliant.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:30 PM   #621
Ksyrup

Kingsbury is not the only coach who has time left on the clock and yet decides that a 40-50 yard FG attempt is good enough and refuses to try for a few more yards. The play before the missed FG, Murray was setting up the kicker on the left hash but the play got blown up and instead of losing a yard, he lost 3 or 4. At that point, on 2nd down, I'd have run another play to try to get back those yards at least.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:38 PM   #622
Thomkal
Head Coach

Did you guys see the Carolina kicker go for a 65 yard FG yesterday? Too bad it wasn't a 64 yarder because he would have made it for sure. Crazy strong leg on that guy
Old 10-26-2020, 12:47 PM   #623
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Did you guys see the Carolina kicker go for a 65 yard FG yesterday? Too bad it wasn't a 64 yarder because he would have made it for sure. Crazy strong leg on that guy

Right down the middle, too.

It's a weird kind of praise, but it was by far the most impressive missed kick I've seen in my life.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #624
Thomkal
Head Coach

OBJ out for season torn ligament
Kenyon Drake out for a few weeks with a slight tear in a ankle ligament
Old 10-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #625
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Any time the Bears want to stop playing Demtrius Harris is fine by me. Guy cannot catch.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 08:49 PM   #626
miked
College Starter

My fantasy team is crying with Drake, Cook, Crowder, and Prescott on the shelf (and Ertz too). My backup QB...Cam Newton.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:07 PM   #627
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

How is Nick Foles a starting NFL quarterback? Is Mitch really worse than this?

EDIT Disregard. The Bears line is brutal. I dont think Tom Brady could throw with that mess.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-26-2020 at 10:13 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:43 AM   #628
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so Draftkings had a daily fantasy tournament last night, it was just for the single game last night, first place was 1 million dollars. Usually in these single game tournaments there are a lot of duplicate lineups so you end up with 150 people splitting first place. Well, the guy who won actually had a unique lineup and scooped the whole million. Well, turns out there was a stat correction after the game that took a sack from the bears, so the guy went from winning a million to 3K. Brutal.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 08:02 AM   #629
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

EDIT Disregard. The Bears line is brutal. I dont think Tom Brady could throw with that mess.
The bigger question is, how is Ryan Pace a GM? Injury to Daniels aside, the disastrous o-line is his doing. (And with Daniels they were only an average line.) The hiring of offensive "genius" Matt Nagy is also his. (Did the Bears average more PPG under Fox?) His drafts are mediocre at best. (I won't rehash the Trushitsky pick discussion.) Even at 5-2 the Bears are a middling team and won't be truly competitive until they are under new ownership. Rant over because I really don't care about the NFL anyway.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #630
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
(Did the Bears average more PPG under Fox?)

Mostly no.

Points scored
Fox (first year to last): 335, 279, 264
Nagy (same):421, 280, 315(projected)

So not so much that they're worse than under Fox, just that they aren't that much better either.

The reason I said "mostly" no?
Points scored rank by coach & season
Fox: 23rd, 28th, 29th
Nagy: 9th, 29th, 27th (to date)
Old 10-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #631
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Same goes for Kliff Kingsbury. He botched the field goal attempt, but overall he's done a great job in Arizona and is a far better coach in the NFL than he was at Tech.

He has his WTF moments, but his playcalling and play design are as good as anyone. The run call with 12 seconds left and no timeouts to set up the game tying field goal was brilliant.

Agreed... I think we will see more teams look to younger, innovative coaches like Kingsbury and McVay.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 11:57 AM   #632
Ksyrup

It's not like this is all that new. What was Kiffin, McDaniel, Gase? The difference is they weren't mature enough to handle it at the time and/or bombed out (which explains the Jets' decision to hire Gase, because why try to win?).

I think you're just seeing a couple of guys succeed or have what it takes to do so at such a young age right now, not so much that teams haven't been trying to find those guys. When they don't work out, it tends to go bad pretty quickly.
Old 10-27-2020, 12:48 PM   #633
QuikSand
lolzcat

The Seattle/Arizona game was plenty of fun, indeed...

...but let's not bronze Kyler head-to-toe quite yet. He faced a spellbinding lack of pass rush that entire game, which has become a Seattle hallmark. Not saying he wasn't exciting or effective, just ... it might be different when he faces an NFL caliber D7 in, say, any other game.

Seattle have a lot of things going for them, but a credible pass rush ain't one of them. They need to be looking through other teams' castoffs and benchwarmers (cr. Ryan Kerrigan) ISO someone who can play a little bit there.

Last edited by QuikSand : 10-27-2020 at 12:48 PM.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #634
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It's not like this is all that new. What was Kiffin, McDaniel, Gase? The difference is they weren't mature enough to handle it at the time and/or bombed out (which explains the Jets' decision to hire Gase, because why try to win?).

I think you're just seeing a couple of guys succeed or have what it takes to do so at such a young age right now, not so much that teams haven't been trying to find those guys. When they don't work out, it tends to go bad pretty quickly.

Color me impressed by McVay. He moved on from Son of Bum and replaced him with Staley who a lot of people were questioning the hire, and all Staley has done is put together a top 5 scoring defense despite losing several starters on the D. Granted, most of the schedule has been against the NFC East, but all you can do is play your schedule as it is laid out. Also, his second half adjustments have been amazing, something like 35 points scored against the defense in the second half all season. They aren't the 85 Bears, but that is impressive in today's day and age.
Old 10-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #635
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
Also, his second half adjustments have been amazing, something like 35 points scored against the defense in the second half all season.

1st in 2nd half points allowed ... but 18th in 1st half points allowed (team rankings dot com has some nifty sorting options I must admit)

But ... is that:
a) great defensive adjustments ... but kinda mediocre defensive game planning?
b) the opposite things for their opponents?
c) degrees of both
d) too small a sample size to draw firm conclusions?
Old 10-27-2020, 02:15 PM   #636
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Foles isn't good but he's better than Trubisky.

I think, in general, the biggest problem with the Bears is no one in the organization is on the same page. The McCaskeys want to do everything as cheaply and with as little effort as possible, Pace wants to build Saints 2.0, Nagy wants to build Super Bowl Eagles 2.0, and a sizable portion of the fanbase wants a great defense and running game above all else.

What we have is Pace getting a weird mix of players that don't mesh with Nagy, Nagy not really doing a good job of developing talent, and the McCaskeys sitting back thinking '85 is right around the corner.

It's a shitshow and at this point I'm all in for a dolphins style rebuild because watching this team play week after week isn't fun or entertaining. They're 5-2, went into the game last night in 1st place in the NFC, and I think it's 50/50 they make the playoffs and if they do they have chance of winning a game. It's really just watching the same shit year after year with luck or a small window opening up to get them in the playoffs every now and then.

As of right now I'd rather be the Texans over the next 5 years with no draft picks but Watson and and open GM and Head Coach jobs than the bears with an aging team, no quarterback, and a bad cap situation.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:05 PM   #637
bhlloy
Coordinator

It's equal parts hilarious and sad that nobody even thought to tweet the Chargers to try to keep the LA championships going in 2020... because nobody gives a shit.

Here's a fun game, what year do the Chargers either slink back to San Diego or relocate somewhere else (St. Louis?) I'm going 2022, but COVID actually might have pushed that back a year because you can't see the impact of them not having any fans.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:10 PM   #638
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
1st in 2nd half points allowed ... but 18th in 1st half points allowed (team rankings dot com has some nifty sorting options I must admit)

But ... is that:
a) great defensive adjustments ... but kinda mediocre defensive game planning?
b) the opposite things for their opponents?
c) degrees of both
d) too small a sample size to draw firm conclusions?

Compared to SoB I will take it. But, yes The second part of A has occurred to me.
Old 10-30-2020, 09:00 PM   #639
Edward64
Head Coach

This would be cool. He wasn't as good as Darren McFadden in college but he was a solid workhorse.

He had one better than average season. Got hurt, got arrested for some car crash. I hope he gets another shot.

And he does Irish dancing Alex Collins Irish Dances in Ireland - YouTube

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks have brought in free-agent running back Alex Collins to begin COVID-19 testing and could add him to their practice squad as early as next week, a source told ESPN.

Collins arrived in Seattle on Thursday night to begin testing Friday, the source said. The NFL's COVID-19 protocols require six negative tests over six days before a player can enter a team's facility for the first time.

The 26-year-old Collins was drafted in the fifth round by Seattle in 2016, spent the 2017 and 2018 seasons with the Baltimore Ravens and hasn't appeared in an NFL game since then.

The Seahawks are dealing with injuries to their top three running backs. Starter Chris Carson (foot), Carlos Hyde (hamstring) and Travis Homer (knee) all missed practice Wednesday and Thursday, putting their status for Sunday's game against the San Francisco 49ers in question. Friday, coach Pete Carroll said all three are game-time decisions. Hyde is listed as doubtful while Carson and Homer are questionable.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 12:26 PM   #640
JPhillips
General Manager

Before today's games, the Eagles were in first place in the NFC East while also having the 13th ranked points differential in the NFC and 26th in the NFL.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:05 PM   #641
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Old 11-01-2020, 02:03 PM   #642
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Bengals White on White tiger jerseys are so sharp. That should be their main set.
Old 11-01-2020, 03:29 PM   #643
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dunno how hurt Cam Heyward is, but no way the steelers do anything without him and Bush. Even at 7-0
Old 11-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #644
Atocep
Coordinator

DK Metcalf is a cheat code.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:31 PM   #645
Ksyrup

Chargers have blown at least a 16 point lead in 4 straight games.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:32 PM   #646
PilotMan
Head Coach

Feels good to see the Patriots struggling.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #647
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Listening to Buck/Aikman rag on BDN all game is tiresome. You would have thought that the Bears were down by 50 points.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:33 PM   #648
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

In full pads too!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 06:37 PM   #649
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Deejay Dallas sounds like a fake football player they made up for one of the CSI shows.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:48 PM   #650
stevew
Hall Of Famer

it's like Aikman shares an agent with Trubisky or something.