Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #401
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
I'm in DC on business. Lovely day.

Started out around 40. Dropping to 5 degrees tonight. 5-10 inches of snow expected (already started). 20-30 MPH winds.

I came in yesterday and worked. Federal holiday, so my client was closed. Closed today due to weather. Probably will be closed tomorrow. I fly home Thursday evening. Needless to say, not much is getting done because they're not here but I get to bill the shit out of my client.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #402
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

My driveway has been a solid block of ice since mid-December. On the positive side, it's a lot of fun on which to sled.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #403
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
how far from Cincinnati are you? Its not that bad here

Pretty crazy how Cinci is isolated. I had to drive to Cincinnati Childrens this morning from Oakwood in Dayton. I left at like 445am and it was borderline whiteout, nerve racking, etc. Doesnt help I drive a rear-wheel drive truck either.

But once I hit around West Chester the roads went from shit to just wet in almost an instant.

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-21-2014 at 03:51 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #404
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Pretty crazy how Cinci is isolated. I had to drive to Cincinnati Childrens this morning from Oakwood in Dayton. I left at like 445am and it was borderline whiteout, nerve racking, etc. Doesnt help I drive a rear-wheel drive truck either.

But once I hit around West Chester the roads went from shit to just wet in almost an instant.

I'm in NKY and we had somewhere around 5 inches of snow last night with some pretty heavy winds. Of course, it's pretty well cleared off right now. I'm supposed to be heading to EWR sometime this week, but a crapton of flight are cancelled so I'm hoping that they don't need me and I don't have to worry about it.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:52 PM   #405
cougarfreak
College Starter

Out here in Burlington (just west of the courthouse, things are still for shit. I saw one salt truck about 3pm. I think it made our street worse.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:25 AM   #406
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

In the mountains of NC we cannot see the roads. The road maintenance trucks haven't come up our way yet, although you'd think they would have ran before this stuff hit rather than waiting. I don't think the scrapers can even make it up our road at this point. Last time this happened a few of them ended up in ditches.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #407
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
In the mountains of NC we cannot see the roads. The road maintenance trucks haven't come up our way yet, although you'd think they would have ran before this stuff hit rather than waiting. I don't think the scrapers can even make it up our road at this point. Last time this happened a few of them ended up in ditches.

With all due respect, you Bryson City isn't high on the "plow the roads" list. You can hit a driver and a 5 iron across the town.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 AM   #408
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
With all due respect, you Bryson City isn't high on the "plow the roads" list. You can hit a driver and a 5 iron across the town.

Haha, very true. I hate this place with a passion 95% of the time, and only our friends and the brewery make it bearable.

I am a little bitter that my fiancee has to risk her life basically because she has a job in the service industry though.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:17 AM   #409
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not too bad in CT. 6-8 inches of light, fluffy snow. A breeze to shovel. Only downside was it was 11F.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #410
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Well, it's starting out cold, with a low of 33, just missing freezing (whew!) but is going to be a frigid 67 today

Seriously, tho, the forecast for ice overnight Thursday into the Friday commute for Houston is still there. If that happens, I'm staying home, cuing up the Yakkity Sax, and watching the local news all morning as there will be literally hundreds of accidents in Houston as that's what always happens if there's ice. We have these things called overpasses and not little ones but 200' up in the air. City's built for heat and flooding not ice.

That said, it almost never materializes. A couple of days out, it's at 60% and 30% but the confluence of events required for it to be cold enough to freeze but warm enough to precipitate is really rare.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:46 AM   #411
JPhillips
General Manager

We ended up with less than an inch, but about 30 miles south they got a foot. I'm very happy I'm not out snowblowing in this cold.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:54 AM   #412
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Ninth day of missed school today. Country roads are still covered. Forecast for tomorrow is a high of 14 and wind chills of -10, tomorrow isn't looking good either.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:10 AM   #413
lighthousekeeper
College Starter

we got about 16 inches here (central/southern nj).
Old 01-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #414
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Got zilch in Maine (well, Portland area, at least), which is interesting as Boston got, what, 10 inches?

Pretty cold, though. Took the dog out at 5:30 this morning and felt it was kinda cold so checked when I got back. 3 degrees with a windchill of -20.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #415
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Got about 2-4 inches in Southern NJ (about 10 miles from Atlantic City.) It was snowing hard most of the day but it just didn't stick much. Still, schools closed today.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 AM   #416
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Just another standard day in this winter from hell
Attached Images
File Type: png cold.png (190.5 KB, 191 views)
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."

Last edited by Fidatelo : 01-22-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:51 AM   #417
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
Got zilch in Maine (well, Portland area, at least), which is interesting as Boston got, what, 10 inches?

Pretty cold, though. Took the dog out at 5:30 this morning and felt it was kinda cold so checked when I got back. 3 degrees with a windchill of -20.

Did Boston get 10 inches? Parts of Cape Cod maybe, but out here 13 miles west of Boston we got...maybe a couple inches tops.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #418
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Did Boston get 10 inches? Parts of Cape Cod maybe, but out here 13 miles west of Boston we got...maybe a couple inches tops.

My Town has no school today, my wife who works in the schools two towns over are in school. Twenty minutes to the south of me had 12-14 inches, twenty minutes to the north of me had 1 inch or no snow.

Was a very thin snow band that dumped a ton of snow on a strip of area

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:26 AM   #419
stevew
Hall Of Famer

These 2 hour delays are pointless. I think it warned up about 5 degrees. No snow around here either right now.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #420
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

ended up getting only 3 inches here in MD...let me tell you I was worried yesterday, was in New Orleans for vacation, and saw enough news to be scarred about getting back. At the airport there was a women going to NJ who had no flights for 2 days, and 150 miles south... no delays, weird!

that being said, it was probably the bumpiest flight I have ever been on!

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #421
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Fidatelo, what is your location? Can't tell from your image.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #422
Kodos
Resident Alien

His profile says Winnipeg.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:47 AM   #423
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
His profile says Winnipeg.

It should probably say 'Hell on Earth'.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-22-2014, 10:48 AM   #424
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
It should probably say 'Hell on Earth'.

or Hoth
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:14 AM   #425
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Tapatalk does not show profile information.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:16 AM   #426
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Huh, I could have sworn I heard Boston got a good bit of snow. Well, there you go.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #427
molson
General Manager

It seems like there's a million pre-storm forecast snow maps, but it's hard to find an after-the-fact actual snowfall map.

The headline on Boston.com is, "Did we overreact to this one," so, I guess that tells us what went down.

Once again, here in Boise, we've had the most boring weather on the planet. Barely any snow, no sub-zero temperatures, highs near 40, lows near 20 for a while and indefinitely into the future. I guess we're a short drive from real snow, but, we're just never on the interesting weather radar. You can definitely see why they built a city here. It's this little green and moderate-weather valley surrounded by mountains and deserts.

Last edited by molson : 01-22-2014 at 11:23 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #428
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Huh, I could have sworn I heard Boston got a good bit of snow. Well, there you go.
It's possible some of the southern parts of the city like Jamaica Plain did, but people only really think of downtown as "Boston", and there it was probably 4 inches. Braintree, which is 7-8 miles south of downtown, got over a foot, as did every town from there to the cape. But like others have said, everything north and west of the city got 2-4 max, and it's the lightest fluffiest snow ever (due to the cold weather).

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-22-2014 at 11:24 AM.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #429
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
Just another standard day in this winter from hell

Isn't that every winter in Winnipeg though? You don't get called winter-peg for nothing. At least here we may get extended periods of bone chilling cold but we'll get chinooks that brings the temps back up near freezing. Although it does give the city the excuse to not plow are roads because their plan is that a chinook will just come in and clean them up anyways, so driving on sidestreets can be a bit of an adventure.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:05 PM   #430
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Isn't that every winter in Winnipeg though? You don't get called winter-peg for nothing. At least here we may get extended periods of bone chilling cold but we'll get chinooks that brings the temps back up near freezing. Although it does give the city the excuse to not plow are roads because their plan is that a chinook will just come in and clean them up anyways, so driving on sidestreets can be a bit of an adventure.

This winter has been brutal even by our pathetically low standards. It seems like every day is well below normal temperatures, and often it is also windy and snowing. Our December was the 2nd coldest in over 100 years, and it sure feels like January hasn't been much better.

It's one thing to have a few days of sub-minus-20 weather, but it's another to go literally 2 months in this stuff with almost no respite. Every two or three weeks we've had a day or two where it gets warm, but then it just immediately plunges back down to crazy low temps. It's also seemed much cloudier than normal, and as I said, windier. It's just depressing.
Old 01-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #431
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Once again, here in Boise, we've had the most boring weather on the planet. Barely any snow, no sub-zero temperatures, highs near 40, lows near 20 for a while and indefinitely into the future. I guess we're a short drive from real snow, but, we're just never on the interesting weather radar. You can definitely see why they built a city here. It's this little green and moderate-weather valley surrounded by mountains and deserts.

I love Boise...it's a beautiful spot for a city.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:56 PM   #432
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
At least here we may get extended periods of bone chilling cold but we'll get chinooks that brings the temps back up near freezing.

Worst silver lining ever....
Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM   #433
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Worst silver lining ever....

You would think so but after it's been -40 for a week or so, 0 (or 32F) is shorts and t-shirt weather. I suppose that's why it's always so easy to spot Canadians on vacation in the Caribbean, mexico and the southern US. That and our horrible, blinding whiteness.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:39 PM   #434
Dutch
"Dutch"

I'm sure there is worse weather to take off in, but I passed through Dulles Tuesday night and it wasn't great weather. I watched my plane (resting at the gate) get a few inches of snow on it in the few hours I was stuck there...after a long period of inactivity, other planes started to taxi out and get the de-ice treatment...I saw the big board showing 70% of all flights cancelled and was prepared to head to a hotel. But my plane, like quite a few others in the early evening were not delayed at all and when my time arrived, they said we could board. The snow wasn't coming down too hard, but poor visibility and dusk just made it look bad.

Then we got on the plane and waited for an hour because of a log-jam of planes getting de-iced. I could peak out the window from my aisle seat every once in a while but couldn't see much through the falling snow that was swirling around the windows. Finally we started to taxi, through the snow and over to the de-icing vehicles where we got blasted by the de-icers for a few minutes (sounded like taking your car through the car wash). We then got the green light to proceed to takeoff and we headed to the runway and fired up the jets...just after takeoff, the plane started making this strange higher pitched noise like one of the engines was struggling (sounded almost like it turned into a prop plane) and the off-duty pilot in front of me took off his headphones to listen to it, which was pretty unsettling.

Once we were up in altitude the tension faded...but the whole experience was not something I was looking forward to repeating anytime soon.

Last edited by Dutch : 01-22-2014 at 06:40 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:30 PM   #435
Suicane75
Coordinator

Got about 8-9 inches here in central Jersey. Combine with the cold temps and it literally feels like an ice box.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #436
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
You would think so but after it's been -40 for a week or so, 0 (or 32F) is shorts and t-shirt weather. I suppose that's why it's always so easy to spot Canadians on vacation in the Caribbean, mexico and the southern US. That and our horrible, blinding whiteness.

Yeah, I went to college in Minnesota, and when it started getting warmer (i.e. above freezing), we'd be outside in shorts and t-shirts playing football in the snow. Right about the time high school kids would be visiting.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #437
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't care about snow but as someone who has to drive 260 miles every night(basically) the next 10 days all being well below freezing is disheartening. I do a ton of vehicle maintenance but in life or death cold I end up borrowing my dads 2012CRV or renting a car. Profits are nil this month, all about making sure I don't die/get fired.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:34 PM   #438
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Let's play which of these highs is not like the others from the past week and coming week:
70 65 69 63 36 60 66 60

Yeah, so weather tomorrow is going to suck. Winter Storm advisory and ice expected in a city that, well, is best served by shutting down when icy.

SI

Old 01-23-2014, 06:52 PM   #439
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Now out of school till at least Monday. Temps tonight just below zero. The dusting of snow we should have got last night ended up being another inch on top of the 7 we already had. Now we are supposed to get another 1-3 tomorrow night. 11 days of school we've now missed (counting tomorrow). We've been at school just 6 days since December 20.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:28 PM   #440
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Propane shortage closes schools, keeps homes frigid - WSMV Channel 4

The problem in middle Tennessee (Nashville & vicinity) isn't so much about a shortage of propane at this point, it's a shortage of available drivers. They're having to go as far as Mississippi to fill the trucks, which has up to a 9-10 wait, then drive back. Drivers are running out of hours to legally be behind the wheel so the temporary state of emergency relieves some of those restrictions.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 01-23-2014 at 08:28 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #441
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, NPR (which I listen to on the way to work) has had a number of good stories about propane shortages this winter. Which is interesting as the house we bought has oil, and I was tempted to convert us to propane (natural gas isn't available), so now it's pretty much a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Seriously looking into a wood stove, to be honest, especially as I have access to free wood. Well, OK, semi-serious.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #442
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, NPR (which I listen to on the way to work) has had a number of good stories about propane shortages this winter. Which is interesting as the house we bought has oil, and I was tempted to convert us to propane (natural gas isn't available), so now it's pretty much a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Seriously looking into a wood stove, to be honest, especially as I have access to free wood. Well, OK, semi-serious.

Looks like you could use a little of this...

britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 AM   #443
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh yeah, icy mess in the upper 20s, wind chill of 16, and there are already accidents aplenty. Should be ok this afternoon as we get up to the mid 30s and then tomorrow, back to the 60s

SI

Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 AM   #444
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Yeah, NPR (which I listen to on the way to work) has had a number of good stories about propane shortages this winter.

That explains a lot, flere.

"{British Accent}In other news....propane usage is up this winter and global warming continues to wreak havoc on winter forcing its widespread use in the north. Now we will interview a French Canadien (a decent substitute for a down-trodden American by NPR standards) who has a baby that is clearly crying due to lack of government subsidies..."

'I have no propane left. My husband used it all to grill venison last fall for his football matches. I've asked the government for help but there is none to be had.'

"Terrible, but the Obama administration has been working at a fevers pace to correct this shortage, which of course could have been avoided had President Bush not signed into law a declaration 10 years ago demanding that charcoal be used for grilling steaks. Democrats fought this initiative by suggesting that propane was 'good enough' for grilling steaks but that wasn't enough. Demand for propane has since plummeted and now hard working Democrats and their coalitions have been left out in the cold. Thanks, Bush. {NPR-styled chuckle}"

"And now to sport...where Manchester United took on...oh wait, and now on to American football, my apologies...{/British Accent}"

Last edited by Dutch : 01-24-2014 at 07:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #445
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Oh yeah, icy mess in the upper 20s, wind chill of 16, and there are already accidents aplenty. Should be ok this afternoon as we get up to the mid 30s and then tomorrow, back to the 60s

SI

It never ceases to amaze me how people don't adjust their driving habits to account for the conditions. I understand some people have to go to work, but use a little common sense when you are on the roads in those conditions.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #446
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how people don't adjust their driving habits to account for the conditions. I understand some people have to go to work, but use a little common sense when you are on the roads in those conditions.

It's a city covered with high freeways and 200' overpasses with few, if any, salt or treatment trucks. It's just not financially responsible to prepare a city that gets this one day every 3 years in a way that you would up north. We're built for heat, flash floods, and hurricane mitigation since those are either more common or more serious.

It's also a driving city with no real mass transit except for busing so the roads are constantly clogged every morning and this just makes it worse. Plus, this is the type of thing that just isn't common here and it's not as if we didn't have this problem in Kansas or Indy where they were more used to conditions like this. There's always those folks who think they're better at driving than they are. How many times have you heard "I'm fine! It's all the crazy people around me" - yeah, you know they are out there so why aren't you adjusting for them with your own driving habits? And that frequently comes from some of the most aggressive drivers I know.

My answer is to just go in around 9 or 10, once it's light, once things have started melting, and once the initial rush hour traffic has dwindled. Until then, it's work at home time.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-24-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #447
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

@ Mike D
Old 01-24-2014, 01:31 PM   #448
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
@ Mike D

Old 01-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #449
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

That cold stuff? It's just ice, South Texas

"That stuff you used to do? It was journalism, CNN"

SI

Old 01-24-2014, 03:46 PM   #450
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I've got a wood stove and propane. I don't like the labor involved with wood so I buy that and then pay a homeless guy in beer to split it for me (and he takes some of the wood).
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote