Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-28-2015, 09:04 PM   #201
Radii
Head Coach

https://fiber.google.com/cities/raleighdurham/home/

looking at the map w/ the markers on the header there listing raleigh, cary, durham, etc etc, Wake Forest is the closest suburb/city directly north of Raleigh, population is only 30,000 currently though. But its *right there* geographically. We'll see!
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #202
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
https://fiber.google.com/cities/raleighdurham/home/

looking at the map w/ the markers on the header there listing raleigh, cary, durham, etc etc, Wake Forest is the closest suburb/city directly north of Raleigh, population is only 30,000 currently though. But its *right there* geographically. We'll see!

I guess it depends on how they define "Raleigh". Technically Raleigh runs right up to Wake Forest's doorstep through Wakefield, so I can't imagine that if they include all of Raleigh that they'd be leaving out Wake Forest for very long. As for my part of the city, given the busy corridor along Falls of Neuse, I'd be rather surprised if Google isn't seen here sooner than later. I'm intrigued by them and by the prospect of what U-Verse will do to compete since we're U-Verse customers. Because of Google's threat, AT&T is countering with their own gigabit service that they'll be introducing to the area.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:42 PM   #203
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack View Post
Because of Google's threat, AT&T is countering with their own gigabit service that they'll be introducing to the area.

Oh, the deals definitely start coming in a hurry. UVerse will offer you everything for super cheap to stay on board. Time Warner has started a new ad campaign in our area offering 200 channels + 300 Mb internet for $90/month. It definitely increases the options from a price perspective.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 10:01 AM   #204
gstelmack
Pro Starter

I'm curious to see if Time Warner has a response. I'm sick and tired of the ads talking about 100 Mbit/S, when all we can get is 50 max.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:25 PM   #205
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

First shot back from the competitors.

AT&T to match Google Fiber speeds, prices in Kansas City and suburbs | The Kansas City Star The Kansas City Star
Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM   #206
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just got the new 2.0 network box installed at my house. Really increased WiFi range and strength quite a bit. Also puts the storage and network box in one box together. I was having occasional drops in signal on my WiFi that I noticed when playing online poker.

Also, one other key thing that I never had heard before, but don't ever set the TV box on top of the network box. It kills your signal.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #207
AnalBumCover
College Starter

Irvine CA could be next!

Irvine next on Google Fiber's high-speed Internet expansion plan - The Orange County Register
AnalBumCover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #208
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just got the new 2.0 network box installed at my house. Really increased WiFi range and strength quite a bit. Also puts the storage and network box in one box together. I was having occasional drops in signal on my WiFi that I noticed when playing online poker.

Also, one other key thing that I never had heard before, but don't ever set the TV box on top of the network box. It kills your signal.
How did you get a new network box? Reducing the number of boxes is terrific. If you're having TV problems, with my setup you have to reboot the storage box and the network box for sure, and sometimes then the TV boxes. PITA.

The WiFi on the original network boxes is horrible. I can get better speeds connecting to the network box rather than my Linksys router, but the drops are maddening.

Don't get me wrong, GF is largely the best Internet service I've ever had. But it's not perfect.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #209
Ragone
Pro Rookie

I agree with Kcchief.. i'd like a new network box as well.. wifi strength is average at best in my house..
Ragone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:21 PM   #210
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19 View Post
How did you get a new network box? Reducing the number of boxes is terrific. If you're having TV problems, with my setup you have to reboot the storage box and the network box for sure, and sometimes then the TV boxes. PITA.

The WiFi on the original network boxes is horrible. I can get better speeds connecting to the network box rather than my Linksys router, but the drops are maddening.

Don't get me wrong, GF is largely the best Internet service I've ever had. But it's not perfect.

Just complain about wifi issues. They'll check the setup and usually replace it right away. It makes a huge difference. I don't even use my 2.4 connection anymore. Solely use the 5.0 connection anywhere in my house.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #211
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Anybody else having DVR problems? A few months ago, we started having choppy playback on recordings. We assumed it was the DVR being 90% full and cleared some space. But a few weeks ago it came back with a vengeance.

Nothing seems to solve the problem and it appears random. You might watch for two hours and have no problems. You might have problems for 5-15 minutes and then it clears. Rebooting the network box, storage box and fiber jack doesn't resolve it.

Just checked the fiber support forum and half the threads on the first page are people reporting same problem with no response from Google. Appears to be a bug of some sort.

Last edited by kcchief19 : 12-30-2015 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:25 PM   #212
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Anybody else having DVR problems? A few months ago, we started having choppy playback on recordings. We assumed it was the DVR being 90% full and cleared some space. But a few weeks ago it came back with a vengeance.

Nothing seems to solve the problem and it appears random. You might watch for two hours and have no problems. You might have problems for 5-15 minutes and then it clears. Rebooting the network box, storage box and fiber jack doesn't resolve it.

Just checked the fiber support forum and half the threads on the first page are people reporting same problem with no response from Google. Appears to be a bug of some sort.

I had that problem until I upgraded to the new box. Combines the network and storage box into one. Haven't had the problem since. If you call support, they'll upgrade you pretty quickly once you report your symptoms.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 PM   #213
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Excited to have this available as part of the Google Fiber service. I'll use GoogleCast a lot.

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/...er-tv-new.html

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-06-2016 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:20 AM   #214
Kodos
Resident Alien

Why Slow Networks Really Cost More Than Fiber | Electronic Frontier Foundation

Article on why it's cheaper in the long run (10 years) to install fiber networks everywhere rather than upgrade cable and FiOS.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #215
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Finally available for my address.

I've been looking forward to it for so long that it just now occurs to me to make sure it is any good before I get it installed.

Reliable? Awesome? Regrets?

Any thoughts are welcome
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #216
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Well I don't have Google Fiber, but my apartment complex got AT&T Fiber because AT&T got scared in Atlanta . So I get 1 gig speed for $70 a month. It's pretty nice (the gig speed is the only one with data caps, which makes it far more valuable than 300 GB a month for $50/$60 or whatever it is).

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 09-23-2020 at 04:10 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:29 AM   #217
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Just saw this pop up. I've been added to a test group for the new 2 GB service on Google Fiber. Hasn't started yet, but I'm interested to see what kind of speeds it delivers.
Old 09-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #218
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Just make sure for your hardwired stuff that you have Cat 6 Ethernet cords.
Old 10-01-2020, 01:52 PM   #219
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Just saw this pop up. I've been added to a test group for the new 2 GB service on Google Fiber. Hasn't started yet, but I'm interested to see what kind of speeds it delivers.

Interesting development. Don’t know about you, but I’ve never really achieved full Gigabit service. It’s just like any other Internet service in that how far you are downstream and the traffic of numbers affect your speed.

I could get 800mbps wired when first installed. Now it’s between 450 to 600. That’s nothing to sneeze at, and it gets the job done.

I rebuilt our network last week to improve streaming to devices through the house. I moved the Google Fiber modem to the basement near the fiber jack, and left our Linksys Gigabit router upstairs. I can now get 70mbps on our crappy Insignia TV, which has solved problems with Hulu TV especially. I’m getting 153 down on my iPhone right now.

One tip to avoid mistake I made. We dropped TV since it was getting too pricey — Google won’t let you sign up for TV service anymore. We owned two of the TV boxes from leasing fees, but I returned them anyway because didn’t think I had any need for them. When rebuilding my network, I realized I could have kept them as wired access points around the house or separate WiFi/guest access. Wish I had kept them now.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #220
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Interesting development. Don’t know about you, but I’ve never really achieved full Gigabit service. It’s just like any other Internet service in that how far you are downstream and the traffic of numbers affect your speed.

I could get 800mbps wired when first installed. Now it’s between 450 to 600. That’s nothing to sneeze at, and it gets the job done.

Fascinating. With AT&T Fiber, it's always been around 950 up and down. And that's not just using the AT&T app (which has incentive to lie), but Speedtest on my hardwired AppleTV.

(just tested - 999 down and 912 up)

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 10-01-2020 at 02:30 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:08 PM   #221
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

I just got the gig plan from Comcast. I am hitting 700-800.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #222
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

I rebuilt our network last week to improve streaming to devices through the house. I moved the Google Fiber modem to the basement near the fiber jack, and left our Linksys Gigabit router upstairs. I can now get 70mbps on our crappy Insignia TV, which has solved problems with Hulu TV especially. I’m getting 153 down on my iPhone right now.

One tip to avoid mistake I made. We dropped TV since it was getting too pricey — Google won’t let you sign up for TV service anymore. We owned two of the TV boxes from leasing fees, but I returned them anyway because didn’t think I had any need for them. When rebuilding my network, I realized I could have kept them as wired access points around the house or separate WiFi/guest access. Wish I had kept them now.

Yeah, it's never crazy speeds, though my wife still gets around 850-900 wired. I have a hard time complaining because their network has been so reliable. It just never goes out. I suppose that's because it's all below ground. I kept the TV service. As you mentioned, the boxes alone help with wireless and wired service around the house.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:29 PM   #223
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

We signed up for it. They were going to come on Tuesday to hook it up.

They came by yesterday to lay the cables, and they ended up cutting our AT&T cable.

I pointed this out to them, and they pointed out that they aren't authorized to fix AT&T's lines.

So AT&T came out to fix the line, and the guy went above and beyond in getting it to work.

So we canceled the Google fiber and are sticking with AT&T.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote