Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-10-2021, 07:59 PM   #651
tarcone
Coordinator

I would be okay with the 2 seed, I think that is an easier path, because the 4 seed could easily be Alabama or Georgia.

I so wanted a #1 vote, but I agree with you having Georgia as a unanimous 1

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:52 AM   #652
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I don’t see Ogeron surviving past this year at LSU. Which is a shame, because it was fun having LSU’s head coach be a guy who seemed more like an illiterate shrimp boat captain than the head of a major college football program.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:04 AM   #653
bob
College Starter

Am I the only one that doesn't think that Cincy's win versus ND is all that impressive. ND isn't really that good, and they could have easily lost every game they have played. And even then I think ND would have won if they just played Drew Pyne (coming to a transfer portal soon) instead of Brian Kelly's spin the wheel of 3 QBs.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:37 AM   #654
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't think that Cincy's win versus ND is all that impressive. ND isn't really that good, and they could have easily lost every game they have played. And even then I think ND would have won if they just played Drew Pyne (coming to a transfer portal soon) instead of Brian Kelly's spin the wheel of 3 QBs.

I hate them as much as anyone, but I think Notre Dame is ranked pretty appropriately at this point in the season. I think the top 8 or 9 teams are more talented and/or having better seasons than them this year, but they are pretty fairly grouped into the next clump of teams.

Florida State, Virginia Tech, and Wisconsin are not up to their traditional standards, but they each still have a lot of power five talent and you have to give Notre Dame some credit for getting road wins against those three when they could have been playing MAC and CUSA teams at home instead.

As for Cincy, I think a road win against Notre Dame is almost always going to have some value.

Last edited by Swaggs : 10-11-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #655
bob
College Starter

That's fair enough, but let me rephrase.

Is a road win against #14 enough to get into the playoff? I know #23 SMU is out there, but even then.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #656
Swaggs
Coordinator

I'm going to hedge, but I always come back to not having a good definition of what we are ranking between most talented team and most accomplished team.

It doesn't feel like Cincy has the resume, but it doesn't really feel like Georgia or Oklahoma have accomplished a whole lot more to this point. Oklahoma has the win over Texas and Georgia has the win over Arkansas (and has been beating the crap out of its opponents, at least). Those teams have the talent and history and are unbeaten, so it seems fair that they are in the top 4.

I think Cincy needs to win out (and hope Notre Dame, SMU, and UCF look respectable at the end of the year)and get some help to stay in the top 4 (I think a number of 1-loss SEC and Big Ten teams would have better resumes at the end of the year), but I'm okay with them being in the top 4 at this point. I think anyone from 12 out (and possibly Wake Forest - as I can't imagine an undefeated ACC team getting skipped, no matter how terrible the ACC is this year) would have better resumes than Cincy at the end of the year.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:56 PM   #657
JPhillips
General Manager

If PSU falls apart without a QB, the Iowa schedule is going to look really bad until the championship game. I don't think they can survive a loss given their schedule.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:01 PM   #658
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If PSU falls apart without a QB, the Iowa schedule is going to look really bad until the championship game. I don't think they can survive a loss given their schedule.

OR Iowa has such a dominating defense that it ruined 3 ranked teams seasons.

Perspective.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:31 PM   #659
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I can't imagine an undefeated ACC team getting skipped, no matter how terrible the ACC is this year) would have better resumes than Cincy at the end of the year.

This might be that year.

Wake's SOS is bad, REAL bad.

There's a legit chance they could win the ACC without ever facing a Top 25 team.

My disdain for Group of Five programs is well established by now I believe, but I'd take an unbeaten Cincy into the playoff over an unbeaten Wake right now. And quite possibly at the end of the season as well.
Old 10-11-2021, 02:52 PM   #660
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Most likely scenario
1. Georgia
2. Oklahoma
3. Alabama
4. Ohio St

Best case scenario for Iowa is not having to play Ohio St and that Michigan or Penn St can keep them out of the B1G Championship game.

I dont think Oklahoma is 1 of the 4 best teams but in that shitshow of a conference they probably come through undefeated.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #661
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Kentucky's slim chances against UGA took a hit today with the announcement that 2 of their DL are out and their second best WR option is doubtful. Of course, a couple of them were out versus LSU too, but... Losing Oxendine for the year is huge.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #662
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob
Is a road win against #14 enough to get into the playoff? I know #23 SMU is out there, but even then.

I think it depends. Always relative to what happens elsewhere. I also think it matters how you play against teams that aren't good - i.e. are you squeaking by or are you impressive every week, etc.

Always have to balance it against what other teams are doing though. Obviously Alabama's loss means it's possible only one SEC team gets into the playoff, and that means another spot possibly for someone else like Cincinnati. If Oklahoma had lost that would be another opening.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 03:24 PM   #663
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone

But that's not what happened. They were behind 17-3 when the injury happened. If it's 3-3, then yes that's a legit argument. Iowa still absolutely deserves credit for winning the game, but the manner in which they won also matters. If Iowa loses a close road game somewhere, I think it's up to how they perform in the conference championship game, but I can definitely see that keeping them out depending on what happens elsewhere.
Old 10-11-2021, 04:50 PM   #664
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Perspective.

Blame the messenger all you want, but depending on the PSU QB, Iowa may not have a single ranked team on the schedule by the time they get to the championship game. If that's the case, they can't afford a loss. If they win out, they'll get in, but their schedule won't look good by the end of the season.

Compare that to the B1G East where MSU, PSU, OSU, and UM are all going to play each other and then face a likely undefeated Iowa team. OSU needs to win out, but the other three can afford one loss before the championship game because their schedule is still going to look good at the end of November.
Old 10-11-2021, 09:03 PM   #665
tarcone
Coordinator

And those 4 teams are going to be beat to shit when they face Iowa, who hits like a freight train.

Iowa has the advantage in this, they beat the last real competition who has the best D Iowa will face this season. And Iowa scored 23 against that defense and won.

by the way, 28 straight games holding opponents under 25, makes scoring 23 almost a win every game doesnt it?

Old 10-11-2021, 09:10 PM   #666
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
And those 4 teams are going to be beat to shit when they face Iowa, who hits like a freight train.

Iowa has the advantage in this, they beat the last real competition who has the best D Iowa will face this season. And Iowa scored 23 against that defense and won.

by the way, 28 straight games holding opponents under 25, makes scoring 23 almost a win every game doesnt it?

As Steve Perry says "Don't stop believin"

I'm not believing they can beat AL or GA but I respect your enthusiasm, and you are due. If AR was #2, I'd be smack talking just like you
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:02 PM   #667
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone

I know nothing reminds me more of 'beat to shit' than a 3-point loss on the road. What really demonstrates what that actually means is what Georgia has been doing

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-11-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:11 AM   #668
Edward64
Head Coach

Lots of love for the Hogs in the article. I don't think it'll break the season if we lose but beating Auburn will definitely help the rest of the season. Tough for (fans) morale if we are 1-3 vs 2-2 against SEC opponents.

Hogs are 3.5 favorites right now.

Rivals.com - Hit or Miss: Midseason review of the SEC
Old 10-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #669
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I know nothing reminds me more of 'beat to shit' than a 3-point loss on the road. What really demonstrates what that actually means is what Georgia has been doing

What I meant was that MSU, scUM, tOSU, and PsU still have to play each other and they could beat the shit out of each other which means they will be sore and tired when they play Iowa in the B1G championship game.

Old 10-16-2021, 10:13 AM   #670
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
On that Michigan pass interference at the end of the half, did they explain whey the spot was placed at the 3? The LOS was like the 15 yard line. They called the interference at the 3 and spot it there instead of half the distance. I didn't have the sound on that game at the time.

DPI is only half the distance when it occurs in the EZ and the ball is snapped at the 2 or on a Try. It is either 15 yards or a spot foul if within 15. If the ball is on the 15 and the foul is in the EZ the ball is placed at the 2 yard line.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 10:40 AM   #671
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
DPI is only half the distance when it occurs in the EZ and the ball is snapped at the 2 or on a Try. It is either 15 yards or a spot foul if within 15. If the ball is on the 15 and the foul is in the EZ the ball is placed at the 2 yard line.

like you would know
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #672
cuervo72
Head Coach

Does LSU's secondary have any clue as to what their job is?
Old 10-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #673
cuervo72
Head Coach

What was 31 doing???
Old 10-16-2021, 01:41 PM   #674
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs are struggling. They aren't in sync but still in the game with 1 score behind. They better get their act together in 4Q.

BTW, we went for 2 and that really looked like pass interference to me.
Old 10-16-2021, 03:58 PM   #675
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Hashtag Grantham'd
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #676
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Hashtag Grantham'd
Every time Grantham gets criticized, he makes another million dollars on his next contract.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:53 PM   #677
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

WTF Iowa?
Old 10-16-2021, 04:56 PM   #678
cuervo72
Head Coach

Crap. Called that going into the commercial.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:14 PM   #679
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post

Thanks for the response. I think I have this right but it has been a week so I may be a little off.

- Ball snapped at the 15.
-DPI took place around the 4 or 5 yard line
- Ball landed oob but perhaps past the goal line. I'd have to see the play again to be sure.
-ball spotted at the 3 yard line

Should the spot have been the 3 yard line given this info?

Sidenote: I've started the process to get back into basketball reffing. It has been 20+ years but I'm looking forward to it. I paid my way through college by reffing/umping.

Found the play. Ball does land past the coal line.

https://youtu.be/fKAuAupWADw

Last edited by HerRealName : 10-16-2021 at 05:22 PM.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:15 PM   #680
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Someone needs to do a welfare check on Tarcone...
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 05:17 PM   #681
bob
College Starter

I’m sure he’s OK and working on his post about how the Iowa coaching staff all needs to be fired
Old 10-16-2021, 05:21 PM   #682
tarcone
Coordinator

We have been exposed. I imagine we lose one or 2 more. Miss the B1G champ game and go to the outback. Same shit different year.

Old 10-16-2021, 05:26 PM   #683
GrantDawg

Quote:
We have been exposed. I imagine we lose one or 2 more. Miss the B1G champ game and go to the outback. Same shit different year.
I can feel that frustration. It is the worse.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:32 PM   #684
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Honestly, Kentucky ain't bad.

They're just overmatched.

First team to get pressure on Georgia consistently will beat them ... question is, who (if anybody) will do it.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:37 PM   #685
bob
College Starter

As much as I hate them, you know what's most impressive with Georgia? They almost always make the tackle at first impact, none of this first guy misses and 7 more yards crap
Old 10-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #686
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

As a Lions fan I feed on despair.

Yummy
Old 10-16-2021, 05:38 PM   #687
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
As much as I hate them, you know what's most impressive with Georgia? They almost always make the tackle at first impact, none of this first guy misses and 7 more yards crap

And then there's their opposite: the Miami "We tackle with our wrists" Hurricanes
Old 10-16-2021, 05:39 PM   #688
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Honestly, Kentucky ain't bad.

They're just overmatched.

First team to get pressure on Georgia consistently will beat them ... question is, who (if anybody) will do it.
Florida maybe? That defense looked super bad today. though.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:47 PM   #689
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Florida maybe? That defense looked super bad today. though.

You'd have to be kinda nuts to try to throw on UF right now, there doesn't appear to be much need to.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:54 PM   #690
GrantDawg

I like that Mark Stoops is still trying to grind out this last score. It will be good for his team going into the rest of the season.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #691
GrantDawg

Jalen Carter is just ridiculous.
Old 10-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #692
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
I like that Mark Stoops is still trying to grind out this last score. It will be good for his team going into the rest of the season.

I assumed he has money on Kentucky and the spread
Old 10-16-2021, 06:01 PM   #693
cuervo72
Head Coach

*exhales*
Old 10-16-2021, 07:10 PM   #694
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
And then there's their opposite: the Miami "We tackle with our wrists" Hurricanes

Kansas: What's a "tackle"?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 10-16-2021 at 07:22 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #695
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

giggity giggity
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:24 PM   #696
cuervo72
Head Coach

That was a pretty nice throw.
Old 10-16-2021, 07:26 PM   #697
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Minnesota is now 35-25-2 against Nebraska.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #698
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

My condolences to Edward and tarcone. Letdown losses are painful.

Michigan State gets their close call but survives. Oklahoma could make it a really special day by losing to TCU, but I think the Texas game was their best shot to do that.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:14 PM   #699
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I've said it before, but I detest college football overtime. I can't think of a rule in sports that grinds my gears more.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:22 PM   #700
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Has anyone heard from tarcone in the last few hours?