4. Oklahoma (14)
5. Purdue ?! (13)
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:42 PM   #702
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I've said it before, but I detest college football overtime. I can't think of a rule in sports that grinds my gears more.

The gimmicky MLB regular season extra inning rules are ridiculous, too. Thankfully those are likely gone after this year.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 08:54 PM   #703
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You have to be shitting me they gave UCLA a touchdown there.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #704
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Thanks for the response. I think I have this right but it has been a week so I may be a little off.

- Ball snapped at the 15.
-DPI took place around the 4 or 5 yard line
- Ball landed oob but perhaps past the goal line. I'd have to see the play again to be sure.
-ball spotted at the 3 yard line

Should the spot have been the 3 yard line given this info?

Sidenote: I've started the process to get back into basketball reffing. It has been 20+ years but I'm looking forward to it. I paid my way through college by reffing/umping.

Found the play. Ball does land past the coal line.

https://youtu.be/fKAuAupWADw

That sounds right to me. They ruled the spot of the DPI was the 3. I don't think it matters where the pass lands.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:02 PM   #705
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Whats up with these Tennessee idiots? Are they trying to force a forfeit?
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:58 AM   #706
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Whats up with these Tennessee idiots? Are they trying to force a forfeit?

1) selling beer in college football stadiums is not the best idea
2) that was years of frustration boiling into a single opportunity
3) Ole Miss radio had a great description they used even prior to the incident "100,000 people paid for their opportunity to come boo"

2 of Will's best friends in the world were in the stadium tonight, both wearing Ole Miss gear (and as things deteriorated, our concern for them grew steadily, luckily for no reason apparently) No hassle for either of them, even during that whole fiasco. This was about frustration with their own program and the intense hatred of Lane Kiffin.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-17-2021 at 12:58 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 06:57 AM   #707
Edward64
Head Coach

Depressed. Totally depressed. We are a better team than that.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:49 AM   #708
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
We have been exposed. I imagine we lose one or 2 more. Miss the B1G champ game and go to the outback. Same shit different year.

I haven’t said much lately as I wanted you to enjoy the ride. But there is something you must know that I’ve gained from experience. Whenever a Big 10 West team starts looking like they have a legit shot at a genuinely big season, one of two things happen:

1) They lose a stupid game against the likes of Northwestern or Purdue.

2) Ohio State manhandles them in the Big 10 Championship game.

So don’t feel bad, it’s just the way things are.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:56 AM   #709
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
1) selling beer in college football stadiums is not the best idea
2) that was years of frustration boiling into a single opportunity
3) Ole Miss radio had a great description they used even prior to the incident "100,000 people paid for their opportunity to come boo"

2 of Will's best friends in the world were in the stadium tonight, both wearing Ole Miss gear (and as things deteriorated, our concern for them grew steadily, luckily for no reason apparently) No hassle for either of them, even during that whole fiasco. This was about frustration with their own program and the intense hatred of Lane Kiffin.

Fair enough! After 10 warnings and the game being stopped for 20 minutes I was thinking they could stop chucking water bottles. They got their point across long before it needed to get to where it went.

I am glad Will's friends weren't being bothered.

And Lane Kiffin seems to magically always have great qbs on his teams. Im sure it wont be long and Lane will burn another bridge at ole Miss.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 10-17-2021 at 09:36 AM. Reason: Were to Werent
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:01 AM   #710
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I haven’t said much lately as I wanted you to enjoy the ride. But there is something you must know that I’ve gained from experience. Whenever a Big 10 West team starts looking like they have a legit shot at a genuinely big season, one of two things happen:

1) They lose a stupid game against the likes of Northwestern or Purdue.

2) Ohio State manhandles them in the Big 10 Championship game.

So don’t feel bad, it’s just the way things are.

Yeah, I know. I thought this defense would carry us, but man, Brohm and David Bell just own us. Brohm out coaches our staff easily. And Bell just tears us apart. Brohm looked like he was in our meetings this week.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #711
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Perusing the various sites today, a lot of talk about the atrocious behavior of the Tennessee fans. Also noticed how quickly some of the Longhorn fanbase has turned on "Seven-Win Sark" after losing to Oklahoma State. Looks like the honeymoon is over in Austin.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 12:35 PM   #712
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I was wondering how the Coach O parting was going to go after a win against UF and the possibility of him ending on a hot streak. So they shut that down quickly.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:28 PM   #713
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Fair enough! After 10 warnings and the game being stopped for 20 minutes I was thinking they could stop chucking water bottles. They got their point across long before it needed to get to where it went.

I am glad Will's friends weren't being bothered.

And Lane Kiffin seems to magically always have great qbs on his teams. Im sure it wont be long and Lane will burn another bridge at ole Miss.

And lest anyone have the slightest doubt, I'm not defending it in any manner way shape or form. Me & the kid were heading back from the airport (his first ever missed flight ) and sat in the car in bewilderment listening to it all unfold. That meant we had more than ample opportunity to discuss the root causes.

I've publicly called for:
1) a fine equal to the full home team gate receipts from the night
2) the closing of the student section for the remainder of the year

and allowed for how, even if it was that vile SOB, Kiffin catching the last water bottle that came flying his way was indeed a fitting end to the whole affair
Old 10-17-2021, 01:52 PM   #714
cuervo72
Head Coach

He at the least caught a golf ball.

There was a little buzz with VT too regarding student behavior (general rowdiness, possibly shining lasers on players); I believe they are going to be limiting the number of student tickets sold at the least.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:26 PM   #715
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal Carolina back up to the end of the year rating #14 with a big game Wed at App State. Clearly more chaos has to take place for the teams ranked higher...
Old 10-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #716
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The reach of the Hawkeyes is long indeed. After both teams had a bye week, Michigan leapfrogs Penn State in the polls presumably because that Iowa loss now looks worse for PSU. I think the Michigan's overrated at #6, but we'll find out in the next month or so one way or another. Run game should at least get back on track with Northwestern visiting.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-17-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 08:23 PM   #717
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Thanks for the response. I think I have this right but it has been a week so I may be a little off.

- Ball snapped at the 15.
-DPI took place around the 4 or 5 yard line
- Ball landed oob but perhaps past the goal line. I'd have to see the play again to be sure.
-ball spotted at the 3 yard line

Should the spot have been the 3 yard line given this info?

Sidenote: I've started the process to get back into basketball reffing. It has been 20+ years but I'm looking forward to it. I paid my way through college by reffing/umping.

Found the play. Ball does land past the coal line.

https://youtu.be/fKAuAupWADw

Flag was at the 3 so that’s the spot of the foul. Might have been off a yard. It was enforced correctly.

Good luck with hoops. That was never my sport.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:49 PM   #718
JPhillips
General Manager

If my addition was correct, Orgeron is going to make about 16 mil to not coach the Tigers anymore.

I'll not coach them for a million.
Old 10-18-2021, 05:51 AM   #719
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Heck, I'd not coach them for $20 and a donought.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 05:56 AM   #720
GrantDawg

Top name seems to be Mel Tucker for the LSU job.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2021, 06:56 AM   #721
GrantDawg

For some top 25 ranking fun:

No team in Florida ranked for the first time since 2011.

Purdue ranked breaking the streak of the longest non-ranked top 25 team in a P-5 (which is now Kansas).

And a ranked Pitt will be playing an un-ranked Clemson this week, just like we all predicted coming into the season.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:07 AM   #722
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Sometimes all you need to succeed is the sense to get out of the way when things are going well.

That's the sense I have with Coach O and that LSU title team. The stars aligned and put Brady and Burrow together for one season. And some other head coaches would have felt the need to interject themselves more into the process to prove who was in charge. And they would have fucked it all up.

Coach O had the sense to just watch and do nothing. Which sounds snarky, but it really is a "skill" that most coaches have too big of an ego to master.

Now he'll get paid $16 million to drive around south Louisiana and hit on married women at gas stations, which really seems like more of his calling anyway.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 01:35 PM   #723
GrantDawg

I feel seen:
Old 10-18-2021, 02:28 PM   #724
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Relative (IMO) slap on the wrist for Tennessee.

SEC fines them $250k and requires them to make (and prove) all efforts to identify and punish those responsible.
Old 10-18-2021, 07:06 PM   #725
miami_fan
Coordinator

Nick Rolovich out as Washington State football coach after refusing state-mandated COVID-19 vaccine, source says

Quote:
Nick Rolovich is out as the Washington State football coach after refusing to become vaccinated for COVID-19, a requirement for all state employees, a source confirmed to ESPN.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #726
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
I feel seen:

LOL. Clearly my 'Georgia is great' posting quotient has not been high enough.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:34 AM   #727
Thomkal
Head Coach

#14 Coastal Carolina has a big game tonight at 7:30 at App State. Coming into this game, it looked like both teams could be ranked, but then App State lost by about 30 to the other Sun Belt Title Challenger, Louisiana. So not sure what App State we will get here, but can't see them losing 2 games in a row by 30.
Old 10-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #728
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
#14 Coastal Carolina has a big game tonight at 7:30 at App State. Coming into this game, it looked like both teams could be ranked, but then App State lost by about 30 to the other Sun Belt Title Challenger, Louisiana.

The criteria that is used to rank Sunbelt teams is somewhat puzzling. Coastal Carolina could be one of the top 25 teams in the country, but it's hard to assess them accurately. They beat Kansas 49-22 at home. Good for them. Kansas lost by similar margins to Duke and Texas Tech. Appalachian State nearly beat an abysmal Miami Hurricane team.

I'd like to see these teams play an SEC or Big Ten schedule, and then see where they sit in the top 25. CCU plays at UCLA in 2023, so we might have to wait until then to see them play against a solid, motivated Power Five team.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 10-20-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #729
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Some things are just unknowable. One game in common isn't nearly enough to judge a team one way or another.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:19 AM   #730
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The criteria that is used to rank Sunbelt teams is somewhat puzzling. Coastal Carolina could be one of the top 25 teams in the country, but it's hard to assess them accurately. They beat Kansas 49-22 at home. Good for them. Kansas lost by similar margins to Duke and Texas Tech. Appalachian State nearly beat an abysmal Miami Hurricane team.

I'd like to see these teams play an SEC or Big Ten schedule, and then see where they sit in the top 25. CCU plays at UCLA in 2023, so we might have to wait until then to see them play against a solid, motivated Power Five team.

I agree with you Vic, it would be nice if they could play a SEC schedule or Big Ten, but they aren't in those conferences, and the big guys are still hesitant to play them unless they expect to blow them out of the water.

Coastal is just a few years removed from their transition to Division 1, some of their schedule, like this year's reflects that-playing teams that they scheduled 2 or more years ago when they were a nobody at this level. The games with Kansas came at the right time for them. I surely didn't expect them to win that first game in the series because hey it's a power conference team, they should win. Now with the win against BYU last season, and getting into a bowl game, maybe they will get more opportunities to play the better power conference teams like UCLA and Virginia already and I hope BYU again at some point.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:59 AM   #731
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I think CCU is a good team, deserving of a top 25 ranking. I think 14th is too high, but that's just my opinion. In most of the computer rankings, they're ranked in the 30's. Sagarin has them at 37th, which I think is a bit low. For reference, Sagarin has Kansas at 140th (with 23 FCS teams ranked higher than them).

As you mentioned, CCU will play Virginia next year, a decent FBS team, and then against UCLA in 2023.
Old 10-20-2021, 12:38 PM   #732
Ksyrup

Sounds like Conference USA may be all but dead. Last week I saw that AAC had extended invitations to 6 CUSA teams which would drop them from 14 to 8, and now I see 2 more schools are being invited to join the Sun Belt. Not a huge FB story but obviously will impact all college sports as mid-major conferences are going through a reorganization process.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 10-20-2021 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:22 PM   #733
Thomkal
Head Coach

Coastal gets off to a great start, leading 14-0, but App State comes back to tie, Coastal got a 50 yd FG, then a very late turnover got them a 46 yard FG to make the score 20-14 at the half.
Old 10-20-2021, 10:18 PM   #734
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Coastal gets off to a great start, leading 14-0, but App State comes back to tie, Coastal got a 50 yd FG, then a very late turnover got them a 46 yard FG to make the score 20-14 at the half.

And the magic is over. App State hits a short FG with no time on the clock to pull the upset. Ah well it was fun while it lasted.
Old 10-20-2021, 11:05 PM   #735
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

. Appalachian State likes to do things like that. Still remember that year they beat Michigan in the season opener *shudder*.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:50 AM   #736
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

App State is a solid team. Surprised they got thumped the week before by the Cajuns. Coastal is a fun team to watch and a team I wouldnt touch if I were a Power 5 school. For one game, they are dangerous
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 11:55 AM   #737
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Oklahoma is such a tease.
Old 10-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #738
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Paging Spencer Rattler.
Mr. Rattler to the red courtesy phone.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:13 PM   #739
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Even if they somehow don't score here, he'll come out as a starter in the second half and it'll end up 42-17

SI

Old 10-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #740
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Lol @ Jon. Well played
Old 10-23-2021, 12:18 PM   #741
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Gotta hand it to Michigan. 2nd and goal from the 4, then two completed passes for positive yardage without scoring. I mean, that's not easy to do.
Old 10-23-2021, 12:21 PM   #742
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

What an ugly ass drive

SI

Old 10-23-2021, 12:41 PM   #743
Edward64
Head Coach

Hogs getting it done 38-0. The 2nd team should be getting a lot of 2H playing time. Looking forward to that.

Next week is back to the SEC against Miss State.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #744
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Can this halftime never end? Just sitting here and enjoying it before the inevitable letdown

SI

Old 10-23-2021, 01:17 PM   #745
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Haha. OU just had to waste a trick play on us

SI

Old 10-23-2021, 01:35 PM   #746
Ksyrup

Well, FSU finally found a team they are clearly better than. Figures that the coach of said team was Taggart's OC in 2018.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:46 PM   #747
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like the underdogs have pretty much remembered who they are, except for Illinois. Just went in front of Penn State 14-10 early in the 4th. They should be ahead by a lot more; Nittany Lions have survived largely off turnovers but are getting pushed around by the manifestation of physical football that is the Fighting Illini.

Unless they are all on sedatives or something, Penn State's in some serious trouble next week against OSU.

Edit: And then nevermind ... called back due to offensive pass interference on Illinois. PSU has more life.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-23-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2021, 01:49 PM   #748
RainMaker
General Manager

I am getting the feeling the Big 10 does not want Illinois winning this one.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 01:51 PM   #749
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Even if they somehow don't score here, he'll come out as a starter in the second half and it'll end up 42-17

Score prediction looking quite prescient. My condolences. It was a fun half-plus while it lasted .
Old 10-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #750
GrantDawg

Yhis game is definitely not helping Oklahoma's ranking.