Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-17-2020, 09:20 AM   #51
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Supposedly Tampa just waived Jameis Winston

I don't think they waived him, they simply didn't use a tag on him so he becomes a UFA ... right?

JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 09:37 AM   #52
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe Carr? Raiders signed Mariota

Ah had not heard that thanks-bit of a weird place for him to go unless Carr's leaving town
Old 03-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #53
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am more interested in who replaces Brady in New England.

PJ From the Xfl-)

Last edited by Galaril : 03-17-2020 at 09:50 AM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 AM   #54
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Andy Dalton would probably do well with the Patriots.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #55
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I don't think they waived him, they simply didn't use a tag on him so he becomes a UFA ... right?

You could be right.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #56
Thomkal
Head Coach

Cam Newton allowed to seek a trade as the Panthers reportedly close to signing Bridgewater
Old 03-17-2020, 12:51 PM   #57
molson
General Manager

The insanity of the NFL in the last 48 hours has been a nice distraction.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:56 PM   #58
molson
General Manager

I think the Pats might actually go with Stidham, and have a lower-cost veteran backup.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:23 PM   #59
Galaril
Pro Starter

I am wondering if BB is trying to tank to get Trevor Lawrence? I am sure if there is someone he likes in this years class he will go get them. Maybe Love? I am not sure the Pats have enough draft capital or stars to move up to the high first round for Herbert or Burrows though.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:27 PM   #60
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I am wondering if BB is trying to tank to get Trevor Lawrence? I am sure if there is someone he likes in this years class he will go get them. Maybe Love? I am not sure the Pats have enough draft capital or stars to move up to the high first round for Herbert or Burrows though.

I think that BB is too old to want to have a tank year.

Also, he wants to prove he can win without Brady--that's about the only thing he could do to increase his legacy at this point.

He does not want to have Brady move on and go 3-13.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #61
miami_fan
Coordinator

Per Schefter, Philip Rivers to the Colts on a one year deal.

EDIT: $25 mil for the year.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 03-17-2020 at 03:00 PM.
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #62
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I think that BB is too old to want to have a tank year.

Also, he wants to prove he can win without Brady--that's about the only thing he could do to increase his legacy at this point.

He does not want to have Brady move on and go 3-13.

Even with a shite QB the Pats wouldn't be close to the #1 pick next year.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:07 PM   #63
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Cam Newton allowed to seek a trade as the Panthers reportedly close to signing Bridgewater

I totally understand moving on from Cam, but I've never understood the lingering interest in Bridgewater, who has just as many injury concerns as Cam and we're all still waiting for him to break his rookie record of FOURTEEN whole TDs, six years later.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-17-2020 at 03:09 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:47 PM   #64
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Per Schefter, Philip Rivers to the Colts on a one year deal.

EDIT: $25 mil for the year.

I thought Rivers wanted a two year deal.

Anyways I'm assuming we're going to drop Hoyer but I wonder what QB plans Ballard has for the future. The Colts don't pick until 34 so you're not getting a top young QB. Maybe there's someone Ballard hopes falls to him?
Old 03-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #65
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions free agency moves so far have been terrible.

Quinntricia are further ruining an already terrible franchise.

I cannot stand these clowns. Quinn's draft picks have been awful. Ragnow is good and Golladay was a great pick, but that's been it. A bunch of mediocre first rounders and nothing else of note after that. His free agency signings haven't been much better. There is no apparent plan or strategy unfolding here.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #66
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
The Lions free agency moves so far have been terrible.

Quinntricia are further ruining an already terrible franchise.

I cannot stand these clowns. Quinn's draft picks have been awful. Ragnow is good and Golladay was a great pick, but that's been it. A bunch of mediocre first rounders and nothing else of note after that. His free agency signings haven't been much better. There is no apparent plan or strategy unfolding here.

The Rick Wagner release summed up the Quinntricia era for me. Wagner at the time the Lions picked him up was arguably the best right tackle in the NFL, and when he signed I took it as an indication that Quinn was a power mover unafraid to spend, but w/ the instincts of "the Patriot way". Instead, he was nearly worthless on the Lions to the point that their previously ironman QB literally had his back broken 2 out of the 3 years Wagner played in Detroit. Cut to this season, and the Lions are going to pay his shadow $6MM to play in GB. We're also going to pay Snacks Harrison $5MM to not be on the team, and we're going to pay our best safety, Quandre Diggs $2.5 million to play for Seattle. Lotsa Quinn's moves were still up in the air last year, and some seemed like they might eventually end up with positive results, even up until the waning moments....but as of now, they are practically ALL busted out

As sour as I have become on Quinn, I started sour on Patricia and have really never waivered. I am still unable to get past the fact that he is apparently literally the one & only head coach in the NFL who is consistently late to every meeting, but expects his players to be held to an entirely different standard.

I pretty much gave up on this season as soon as they announced a mandate to "WIN NOW...but by 'now' we mean the rest of this season and all of the next one" towards the end of last year.

Last edited by thesloppy : 03-17-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:18 PM   #67
Racer
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I thought Rivers wanted a two year deal.

Anyways I'm assuming we're going to drop Hoyer but I wonder what QB plans Ballard has for the future. The Colts don't pick until 34 so you're not getting a top young QB. Maybe there's someone Ballard hopes falls to him?

I'm wondering if there is no one they are particularly enamored with in this draft at QB.

I'm surprised why they didn't give Rivers a 2 year contract though. If Love, Herbert, or Eason were their guy I would assume they would have stayed at 13 to make sure they got their guy like the Giants did with Daniel Jones at 6 last year.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:19 PM   #68
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I’m surprised GB passed on Bulaga for 3-30 to sign Wagner for 2-11. My impression from last year was that Bulaga was significantly better. I do like taking a flier on Kirksey for half the price of Blake Martinez (who was pretty bad last year).
Old 03-17-2020, 06:25 PM   #69
PilotMan
Head Coach

Re: Brady...why the Bucs?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:30 PM   #70
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Everybody from Boston retires to Florida.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 03-17-2020 at 06:30 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #71
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Re: Brady...why the Bucs?

Check in on First Take for the next two hours tomorrow.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 03-17-2020, 06:35 PM   #72
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Check in on First Take for the next two hours tomorrow.

This is FOFC goddammit! I want my hot takes right NOW!

Sportsdigs was all over this shit two weeks ago.

Like Steam?

Old 03-17-2020, 06:45 PM   #73
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
This is FOFC goddammit! I want my hot takes right NOW!

Sportsdigs was all over this shit two weeks ago.

Ok ok, He no longer are committed to winning.

But seriously, Tampa was a game below .500 with a QB that threw 30 INT. Brady getting 24 TDs and 8 INT with the Bucs receivers has to be worth 2 or 3 games isn't it?
Old 03-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #74
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Ok ok, He no longer are committed to winning.

But seriously, Tampa was a game below .500 with a QB that threw 30 INT. Brady getting 24 TDs and 8 INT with the Bucs receivers has to be worth 2 or 3 games isn't it?

Winston also fumbled more and lost more than Brady. Significantly more.

Last edited by dubb93 : 03-17-2020 at 08:31 PM.
dubb93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:33 PM   #75
PilotMan
Head Coach

Winston was such a failure. He was never going to amount to anything as long as he stayed in Florida. He needed a complete change of scenery with a coach who would flip him inside out.

Like Steam?

Old 03-18-2020, 03:17 AM   #76
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am more interested in who replaces Brady in New England.

As a fellow Dolphins fan, here’s what I fear - BB likes an intelligent QB, and there is one guy always mentioned as one of the most intelligent guys in any QB room.

So NE will trade a low round pick for Josh Rosen, and the Pats will go on another 15 year dynasty run...

You heard it here first!
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:51 AM   #77
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post
As a fellow Dolphins fan, here’s what I fear - BB likes an intelligent QB, and there is one guy always mentioned as one of the most intelligent guys in any QB room.

So NE will trade a low round pick for Josh Rosen, and the Pats will go on another 15 year dynasty run...

You heard it here first!

Well I would like to see what Rosen could do behind an actual quality OLine...
Old 03-18-2020, 06:11 AM   #78
stevew
Hall Of Famer

AB possibly to the Bucs (eventually)as well. Although he had gotten into it with Arians so who knows.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:58 AM   #79
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexB View Post

You heard it here first!

What he really needs to do, and he can grab one of the smartest guys in the room, is trade for Fitz and then win the SB. I actually might enjoy that.

Like Steam?

Old 03-18-2020, 07:33 AM   #80
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

HA! Watching Fitz give his press conference during a five-game winning streak like this

While Belichick stands by with one of those nervous "The humans seem to think this is entertaining, so I'll stand here and pretend to enjoy it" grins would be epic.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:43 AM   #81
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thoughts on the rumored Gurley & Cooks for Godwin & a 1st deal?

Edit: yes, I'm this fucking dry for anything to talk about that isn't virus related :/

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 03-18-2020 at 10:44 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:46 AM   #82
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
As sour as I have become on Quinn, I started sour on Patricia and have really never waivered. I am still unable to get past the fact that he is apparently literally the one & only head coach in the NFL who is consistently late to every meeting, but expects his players to be held to an entirely different standard.

I'm not kidding when I say that his weirdness with the beard and the pencil helped him to get the job. Owners are human, and they are going to notice guys who stand out more than guys who don't.

Rob Ryan is the same way. He got way more DC opportunities than he should have because you couldn't help but just notice the guy. His defenses suck, but he sure killed it on that Good Morning Football segment last week, let's hire him!

Meanwhile, a dude like Mike Zimmer just kept plugging along as a DC for years but had to wait forever for a HC opportunity because he looks like your boring uncle.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:47 AM   #83
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Edit: yes, I'm this fucking dry for anything to talk about that isn't virus related :/

Heh. Yeah, me too.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:50 AM   #84
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Thoughts on the rumored Gurley & Cooks for Godwin & a 1st deal?

To answer your question, doesn't Gurley have arthritic knees? The dude is a generational talent, but my sense is that his medical issues were only going to get worse over time.
Old 03-18-2020, 11:04 AM   #85
bhlloy
Coordinator

That feels like an absolute steal for the Rams - Godwin is probably already the better receiver who has some incredible upside, and even if Gurley can give you another couple of years to match Brady’s timeline he’s still only somewhere around the top 10 RBs post injury. Add a first to that... yikes.

Is one of the symptoms of the virus that NFL GMs go crazy and forget about positional value?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:45 AM   #86
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Okay, so I'm not crazy in thinking this is somewhere between a bad idea and a REALLY bad idea for the Bucs then.

M'kay, just figured I oughta check.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #87
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Foles to the Bears. Also why weren’t the bears a Brady/Rivers/etc destination? I’m assuming they’re capped out?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:49 PM   #88
miami_fan
Coordinator

NFL gives free access to Game Pass until May 31 in the US and Canada. International starting Thursday until July 31.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:06 PM   #89
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Also re: possible Cooks/Gurley trade.

If Cooks is traded, this will be his FOURTH team, after three others had no problem letting him go. And Payton, Belichick, and McVay are all pretty good coaches.

There's something going on there that will have made three good coaches all say "let's see what we can get for this guy" instead of keeping him around.
Old 03-18-2020, 05:30 PM   #90
BishopMVP
Coordinator

I wish Quinn/Patricia had been let go too, because between them & Flores in Miami it's annoying to have all of our quality defensive depth signed to contracts at the value they're worth when coaches know how to use them right instead of coming back to NE on deals they'll outperform. Not that I'm too worried about LB because we can seemingly turn any castoff into a borderline Pro Bowler, or DB because we have insane depth right now, but it does hurt a little.

Surprised Brady didn't get re-signed to a 1/2 year deal with the $13.5m dead cap hit, but so be it, I wish him the best of luck in Tampa (and it'll be interesting to see if Arians adjusts his offense, since I think Brady is better at deep balls than he's given credit for, but it's still clearly not his strength). Guessing for now we actually will go with Stidham at QB, though if another QB like Dalton or Rosen shows up cheaply on the market that wouldn't shock me. I don't see us drafting a QB - maybe if Herbert falls to 15 or below, but they like Stidham, I don't see drafting another developmental guy like Eason at 23 making any sense.

Still pretty absurd they haven't signed a TE yet, though maybe some young talented guys like Njoku or OJ Howard will be available for trade during the draft. WR not as concerning/surprising - draft is loaded enough some very good WR's will be available day 2 & we do have N'Keal Harry who essentially only got 1/3 of the practice time in he should have.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #91
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Foles to the Bears. Also why weren’t the bears a Brady/Rivers/etc destination? I’m assuming they’re capped out?

The bears didn't have a lot of cap room for this offseason. It's really difficult to accept that they'll be paying roughly $25 mil this year for a combination of Foles/Trubisky though. I'd honestly rather have Bridgewater or Winston than that combination.

Pace had done a solid job of upgrading the overall talent and managing the cap, but the trade to draft Trubisky led to going all in on the roster with the Mack trade and now it seems he's trying to spend his way through mistakes which never works in the NFL.

Trubisky is going to set the franchise back 5-6 year or more from the looks of things. They currently have holes on the line, at TE, and at corner and essentially two 2nds to patch them. The depth on the defensive side is gone now with Kwiatkoski and Nick Williams signing elsewhere.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:04 PM   #92
bhlloy
Coordinator

I find the Jurrell Casey trade very interesting too... he’s one of my favorite players in the NFL so I’m a bit biased, but I also don’t really get it from the Titans perspective. He’s still very productive at an important position and while that deal probably looks ugly in its last two years, you wonder what else they are going to go out and spend it on given the money they splurged on Tannehill.

To only get a seventh for a DT who has made the pro bowl in the last four years just feels like a poor use of resources no matter the long term financials involved. They basically cut him which seems nuts.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 04:05 AM   #93
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Winston was such a failure. He was never going to amount to anything

You could have stopped there. I said this from the day he was drafted.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #94
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

The Lions trade Slay to the Eagles for a 3rd and a 5th.

The Lions continue to be on a road to nowhere and not in the fun, jaunty Talking Heads kind of way.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #95
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The Lions continue to be on a road to nowhere and not in the fun, jaunty Talking Heads kind of way.

Goodness, win for the Eagles for sure.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:30 AM   #96
JPhillips
General Manager

It's weird seeing the Bengals behave like a normal NFL franchise.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 AM   #97
bob
College Starter

I think I need to pick a new NFL team. I haven't lived in Detroit in 30+ years. Time to cut them loose I think.

I follow the Falcons because they are the local team, but honestly never really cared too much beyond the super bowl run and choke.

Suggestions?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 10:48 AM   #98
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
I think I need to pick a new NFL team. I haven't lived in Detroit in 30+ years. Time to cut them loose I think.

I follow the Falcons because they are the local team, but honestly never really cared too much beyond the super bowl run and choke.

Suggestions?

Baltimore.

Youngish good owner (stability)
Great coach
League MVP as QB
Old 03-19-2020, 10:50 AM   #99
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

KC is probably a bit too bandwagon of a pick, but you'd get to cheer for Mahomes for the next 12 years, and if you ever go there to see a home game, you can eat amazing BBQ.
Old 03-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #100
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:

What horrible return.