Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-06-2021, 04:53 AM   #151
robert3
n00b

Los Angeles Angels is leading in second place is the Houston Astros
skribbl io

Last edited by robert3 : 04-06-2021 at 04:54 AM.
robert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:18 AM   #152
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Robert, that is such an astute observation I'm sat here pondering whether I should clink on that link you are trying to farm.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #153
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Screw the All Star Game at Coors, I want to see the Home Run Derby with non-humidor baseballs!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Well, duh 😄 I meant the whole package.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:56 AM   #154
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Screw the All Star Game at Coors, I want to see the Home Run Derby with non-humidor baseballs!

Yes, please!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:28 PM   #155
PilotMan
Head Coach

Reds are either looking alright, or the Pirates are looking really bad. We know the second part is true, but could the first part be true too?

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 04:29 PM   #156
JPhillips
General Manager

I'm just happy the Reds aren't tanking to start the season. That's been a bit of a pattern the past few years and it sucks to feel out of it by May 1.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I'm just happy the Reds aren't tanking to start the season. That's been a bit of a pattern the past few years and it sucks to feel out of it by May 1.

I really didn't realize how bad that had been.

The Reds last finished April above .500 in 2013
The last time they were more than 2 games over .500 after April? 2006
Old 04-09-2021, 09:57 PM   #158
miami_fan
Coordinator

You finally got one Padre fans. You finally got one.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:58 PM   #159
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The Padres long national nightmare is over. Joe Musgrove throws the teams first ever no hitter.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:11 AM   #160
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The majors' last no-hitter was thrown by the Chicago Cubs' Alec Mills on Sept. 13, 2020. His catcher was Victor Caratini, who was also behind the plate for Musgrove.

The article doesn't say but I gotta wonder if anybody has ever caught league consecutive no-hiters for different teams
Old 04-10-2021, 02:18 PM   #161
JPhillips
General Manager

deGrom is the Met with the most hits in deGrom starts this year.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #162
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The article doesn't say but I gotta wonder if anybody has ever caught league consecutive no-hiters for different teams

Pretty sure I saw that this was a first.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:10 AM   #163
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Baseball just needs to get rid of replay if they are going to refuse to overturn bad calls with crystal clear evidence.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 06:41 AM   #164
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

Don't look now, but it's not even mid-April and they've already cooled off
Old 04-12-2021, 07:11 AM   #165
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Baseball just needs to get rid of replay if they are going to refuse to overturn bad calls with crystal clear evidence.

As a Phillies fan, I have to say that was awful.

Here's the thing, though - this happens in every sport. This isn't a baseball-only problem. The problem is the idea that we have to uphold the result if it's not crystal clear that it is wrong. This is not a legal appellate review and should not be treated as such. Someone is basically just watching a video replay and should be judging it based on what actually is shown to have happened, not "We're only going to overturn a possibly wrong decision made on the field if there's no way it was right."

As part of that review, there should at least be some clear evidence to support the on-field decision. Not - "Well, you can't tell if it did touch even though several angles appear to show it didn't, so we're going with the wrong call on the field." The only time the on-field call should take precedence is when there's no good angle to support either call.

This is the crappy middle ground of replay review we're allowing right now because we don't want to upset officials (and take away jobs) and old people who want things to be the way they always were, and who think wrong calls add to the history of a sport because of the "human element."

The only reason people have been used as officials since the beginning of sport is that they didn't have the technology to do it any other way. And the only "human element" that should matter in sports is the humans actually playing the sport. Officiating should always be right and never be controversial. Especially since we've eliminated the Earl Weaver/Bobby Cox shows anyway - what's the frickin' point? Get it right!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-12-2021, 07:15 PM   #166
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Acuna just tagged up from third on a ball that was caught about 20 feet behind second base. Amazing
Old 04-12-2021, 07:25 PM   #167
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
Don't look now, but it's not even mid-April and they've already cooled off

They're still 6-3. That's much better than 1-8 or 3-18.
Old 04-12-2021, 09:56 PM   #168
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Braves BP is going to cost them more than a few games this year. Seems pretty weak when you are bringing in Jacob Webb in the first inning of extra's. Weren't they just loaded in the pen a couple of years ago?

Last edited by jbergey22 : 04-12-2021 at 09:59 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 10:26 PM   #169
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Braves BP is going to cost them more than a few games this year. Seems pretty weak when you are bringing in Jacob Webb in the first inning of extra's. Weren't they just loaded in the pen a couple of years ago?

To be fair, everybody is reslotted atm due to Chris Martin being newly on the DL. Webb was just recalled from the alternate site so I imagine they might have been thinking two innings from him maybe? (Braves middle order due up in the 10th)

And all that was left was LHP Matzek, LHP Dayton, and LHP Newcomb ... with 4 straight RHB due up for the Marlins.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:14 AM   #170
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Acuna just tagged up from third on a ball that was caught about 20 feet behind second base. Amazing

I watched the highlight yesterday while at my son's baseball game. I just burst out in laughter at the audacity to even try it. About 5 or 6 parents wanted to know if I was losing my mind so I invited them to watch the highlight. They all had the same reaction.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:06 PM   #171
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As a Phillies fan, I have to say that was awful.

Here's the thing, though - this happens in every sport. This isn't a baseball-only problem. The problem is the idea that we have to uphold the result if it's not crystal clear that it is wrong. This is not a legal appellate review and should not be treated as such. Someone is basically just watching a video replay and should be judging it based on what actually is shown to have happened, not "We're only going to overturn a possibly wrong decision made on the field if there's no way it was right."

As part of that review, there should at least be some clear evidence to support the on-field decision. Not - "Well, you can't tell if it did touch even though several angles appear to show it didn't, so we're going with the wrong call on the field." The only time the on-field call should take precedence is when there's no good angle to support either call.

This is the crappy middle ground of replay review we're allowing right now because we don't want to upset officials (and take away jobs) and old people who want things to be the way they always were, and who think wrong calls add to the history of a sport because of the "human element."

The only reason people have been used as officials since the beginning of sport is that they didn't have the technology to do it any other way. And the only "human element" that should matter in sports is the humans actually playing the sport. Officiating should always be right and never be controversial. Especially since we've eliminated the Earl Weaver/Bobby Cox shows anyway - what's the frickin' point? Get it right!

Joe Posnanski, is that you?

(Not a criticism, love that guy)
Old 04-13-2021, 04:26 PM   #172
Atocep
Coordinator

Mentioned on the Mets broadcast today:

Taijuan Walker is wearing jersey number 99 and is the first Met to wear that number since....Turk Wendell. When Wendell heard he was wearing the number he sent Walker a care package of Black Licorice, a toothbrush, and toothpaste.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #173
BYU 14
Coordinator

Wendell is awesome
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 12:13 AM   #174
MrBug708
Head Coach

Bauer really spinning it tonight. Wonder when MLB gets around to their "investigation" into foreign substances
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #175
Ksyrup

I had not heard of the Double Hook rule, which is going to be tested in the Atlantic League this year. Basically, a compromise on the DH rule where the DH is used as long as the starting pitcher is still in the game. When the SP is removed, the "double hook" removes the DH and that spot reverts back to either the pitcher or a PH. It's not only intended to be a compromise but also an incentive to have SPs go deeper into games.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #176
JPhillips
General Manager

Just looked at the 2015 Reds season, the last with Cueto. That year 27 pitchers threw at least 10 innings. Not a single one is still on the team.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:20 PM   #177
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Just looked at the 2015 Reds season, the last with Cueto. That year 27 pitchers threw at least 10 innings. Not a single one is still on the team.

I'm not sure whether this means it's not unusual OR if I just pulled another questionable (?) staff but ... 27 pitchers reached the 10 inning mark with the 2015 Braves, not a single one is still on the team either.

Considering the record of those two clubs in 2015 that's probably a good thing.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:33 PM   #178
JPhillips
General Manager

I don't know if it's unusual or not, I just found it interesting that so many players from a fairly short time ago are gone.
Old 04-14-2021, 10:04 PM   #179
BYU 14
Coordinator

Watched my second live MLB no hitter ever tonight, what a treat, Rodon loses the perfecto in the 9th on a hit batter.

He also hit 99 mph, his fastest pitch of the night on pitch 110.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 10:45 PM   #180
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

First time with 2 no-hitters in April since 1994

(Kent Mercker and Scott Erickson)
Old 04-15-2021, 06:25 AM   #181
Ksyrup

The Indians went 1-1 on unwritten rules during a no-hitter/perfect game.

Obviously, you should never allow yourself to get hit by a pitch if you can avoid it in any way. That was BS.

On the other hand, I was happy to see the first batter of the 9th inning stick to the unwritten rule of "If you are going to slide headfirst into 1B late in a no-hitter/perfect game, you should always make sure that the arm that is fully extended does not touch the base." So good on them for adhering to that one.
Old 04-15-2021, 06:48 AM   #182
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

lol.

That was awesome to watch. I played him in DFS so saw pretty much the whole game. As for the HBP I don't think he internationally avoided getting out of the way.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:21 PM   #183
Ksyrup

Anyone been to Cooperstown? What's a reasonable amount of time to spend in the museum? Likely going in early August and trying to put together an itinerary.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:24 PM   #184
JPhillips
General Manager

I have. I'd say plan on at least half a day, there's a lot to see and read. I'll admit that I was greatly disappointed by the HoF. There's a lot of stuff to look at, but very little to do other than play, remember when. There are so many interactive exhibits possible with baseball, but the HoF caters to Boomers.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #185
Ksyrup

I've never been to a HoF of any kind, but we've decided to drive from KY to NH for vacation this summer, so after a stop in Buffalo/Niagara Falls, we'll be so close I feel like I am compelled to go.
Old 04-17-2021, 04:01 PM   #186
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Sean Kazmir Jr. Pinch hit today for the Braves. It was his first Major League game since 2008. 12 years playing minor ball, he finally got another chance in the Show.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 04-17-2021 at 04:01 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #187
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Sean Kazmir Jr. Pinch hit today for the Braves. It was his first Major League game since 2008. 12 years playing minor ball, he finally got another chance in the Show.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

This is good story. MLB had an article on it before today's game. Good for him that he got the appearance. It had to feel amazing.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 11:55 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

College baseball announcer makes early catch of the year contender.
(clip is in the article, I never can get Twitter video links to embed well)

If you ain't seen it, go see it

Baseball announcer Geoff Haxton's catch on air: An interview about his amazing play.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #189
cuervo72
Head Coach

Oh, that's fantastic.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:50 AM   #190
Ksyrup

I like how he instinctively framed it like a catcher.
Old 04-22-2021, 08:13 AM   #191
Bobble
College Prospect

"My hand hurts so bad right now"
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:36 AM   #192
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
"My hand hurts so bad right now"

I can imagine. Ouch. My hand hurts a little just watching that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 04-22-2021 at 08:37 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #193
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That's awesome.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 11:22 PM   #194
Atocep
Coordinator

DeGrom pitched a 2 hit shutout with 15k today and his K/9 dropped. He's also 6 for 11 with a double this year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 02:50 PM   #195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The biggest news is he actually got the win

Old 04-24-2021, 06:13 PM   #196
JPhillips
General Manager

The Reds are currently on a 3-10 run. It's a normal April after all.
Old 04-24-2021, 10:06 PM   #197
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:47 PM   #198
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

Earlier in the week, it was SLOTH

Seattle
LA
Oakland
Texas
Houston
Old 04-25-2021, 08:14 PM   #199
Swaggs
Coordinator

Small sample size, but it is hard to believe that the Pirates are sitting at 11-11 this year. Last year, they didn’t get to 11 wins until their 35th game and only won 19 (finished 19-40). I thought after trading Josh Bell, Joe Musgrove, and Jameson Taillon this offseason, we would be looking at 2-3 years of #1 overall picks. I imagine it will still be a rough year, but maybe not 110 losses bad.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:57 PM   #200
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So does Bumgarner's no hitter count?