Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-24-2021, 04:05 PM   #1351
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

There's zero chance Fields makes it through the season without a major injury if this keeps up.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 04:19 PM   #1352
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Are the Ben-Gals actually for real?

Apparently.

I certainly believe the Bengals are for real. Johnson was 5-0 against them and Bengals beat them up on the road
Old 10-24-2021, 05:43 PM   #1353
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Very excited to see how Zach Ertz does as a Cardinal today against the Texans. Can't see them struggling against Houston, but they have the Packers next week, on Thursday I think, and just hope they don't overlook the Texans in the David Johnson/Watt/Hopkins "revenge" game.

Doing pretty well!
Old 10-24-2021, 05:49 PM   #1354
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like the Chiefs have some real issues. There are some stringent Mahomes fanboys among my online connections that are in denial.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #1355
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Welp good effort by the Lions. If they could have turned a FG or two into a touchdown ... or not thrown a 4th-quarter interception ... they would have had a chance. Good of them to go down fighting after last week.
Old 10-24-2021, 06:17 PM   #1356
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Lions lose in Lions fashion. I still can't believe that people pay money to watch this team "play".
Old 10-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #1357
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Doing pretty well!

Yep it ended well but man that start with the safety and FG, and Kyler getting hurt after was pretty scary. Glad sanity was restored. 7-0 baby, bring on the Packers!
Old 10-24-2021, 08:17 PM   #1358
bronconick
College Starter

31-5 for Arizona-Houston is a Scorigami
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:30 PM   #1359
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

That Arizona team looks like it might go places
Old 10-24-2021, 09:04 PM   #1360
JPhillips
General Manager

The Bengals look really good, but hope is fucking deadly for a Cincy sports fan. I'm just waiting for the wheels to come off.
Old 10-24-2021, 11:40 PM   #1361
Jon
High School Varsity

It's time to reconsider Kyle's tenure with the 49ers. He likely won't be fired, but there needs to be a discussion where he loses some authority- maybe over personnel or have him turn over some playcalling duties.He coaches scared.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:30 AM   #1362
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Going to be quite the battle between Miami and Carolina for Watson looks like. Ethics and morals be damned.

I have been a Dolphins fan my whole life. I lived and died with them through the Marino years, through the 1-15 season, through the Wildcat, and more. However, I will not, absolutely will not, root for a Deshaun Watson led football team.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:39 AM   #1363
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Because of Tua’s injury, I would have drafted Burrow over him. But I fully admit that if he had been healthy, I’d have picked him and not thought twice about it. That’s not looking like a good prediction at this point.

Tua made two big mistakes today, but otherwise played really well. I think people forget that he has 2 of his top 3 WR's out, a nonexistent running game, a weak OL, and a defense constantly giving up big plays. Giving up on the guy at this point would be ridiculously stupid.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 05:59 AM   #1364
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Yep. It's easy to underestimate the effect of the coaching stability, surrounding talent, etc. has on the development of these players. Suffice to say Burrow and Tua's situations haven't exactly been equal on those fronts.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:46 AM   #1365
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
It's time to reconsider Kyle's tenure with the 49ers. He likely won't be fired, but there needs to be a discussion where he loses some authority- maybe over personnel or have him turn over some playcalling duties.He coaches scared.

Maybe he's Mike Martz. A top-tier offensive coordinator who lacks the skills to be a top head coach.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 06:48 AM   #1366
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Tua made two big mistakes today, but otherwise played really well. I think people forget that he has 2 of his top 3 WR's out, a nonexistent running game, a weak OL, and a defense constantly giving up big plays. Giving up on the guy at this point would be ridiculously stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Yep. It's easy to underestimate the effect of the coaching stability, surrounding talent, etc. has on the development of these players. Suffice to say Burrow and Tua's situations haven't exactly been equal on those fronts.

That's fair. I haven't watched a lot of Dolphins games. My comment still stands, but it has more to do with Burrow being more impressive than I would have predicted than with Tua--who is probably best graded with an incomplete at this point.
Old 10-25-2021, 06:53 AM   #1367
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
That's fair. I haven't watched a lot of Dolphins games. My comment still stands, but it has more to do with Burrow being more impressive than I would have predicted than with Tua--who is probably best graded with an incomplete at this point.

I thought Tua played pretty well in London too

If you take a look at the Dolphin's QB performances over the past 20 years, and in particular what Tannehill looks like for the Titans as the most recent and relevant example, it is not necessarily the person behind center in Miami that is the main problem.
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 06:51 AM   #1368
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I was a fan of one of the two teams playing last night, so I watched that game last night.

But that seemed pretty painful for those of you who were just looking for an entertaining football game.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:39 AM   #1369
miked
College Starter

As a Jets fan, I'm amazed that anyone saw Geno Smith's body of work and said, yeah, I'd be good with him in case of emergency.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:49 AM   #1370
cuervo72
Head Coach

Yeah. We stuck with it mostly, but it was not great.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:59 AM   #1371
spleen1015
Coordinator

I only watched it for Manning Night Football and I couldn't even stick with that.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:21 AM   #1372
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
As a Jets fan, I'm amazed that anyone saw Geno Smith's body of work and said, yeah, I'd be good with him in case of emergency.

Well, to be fair, about 1/3 of the NFL teams dont even have 1 qb that you could make a case that "Id be good with him as my qb" so in that aspect hes a midlin backup QB.

It would be a heavy price tag to pay for 2 of the top 22 qbs in the league.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 09:06 AM   #1373
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
I only watched it for Manning Night Football and I couldn't even stick with that.

If they knew how bad the game was going to be, they would have scheduled Marshawn Lynch for the 3rd quarter.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:23 AM   #1374
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
It would be a heavy price tag to pay for 2 of the top 22 qbs in the league.

Should it be though?

I know what you are saying. I know that there are only so many quality QBs to go around. I know that if you have two good ones at some point, somebody is going to take one of them away from you. It just seems weird that NFL teams only have one option per team at the most important position in the game. If the starting QB goes down, the whole team is doomed. Maybe it is just that the gap between a Russel Wilson and whoever his backup is at the time is always going to be wider as opposed to the gap between someone like Baker Mayfield and Case Keenum.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:36 AM   #1375
QuikSand
lolzcat

"Fellas, if 18 [Peyton Manning] goes down we're fucked, and we don't practice fucked."

Same logic might apply to a lot of teams and their QB2 investments.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #1376
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
It just seems weird that NFL teams only have one option per team at the most important position in the game.

One wonders if it's a "there can be only one" situation though. Maybe there's not enough practice time, game-planning time, getting on same page time, etc. to prepare more than ONE guy for the season or game. By necessity, the backup can't have a real path to success.

Or maybe most just suck.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #1377
molson
General Manager

Did backups used to do better generally?

I remember it being totally common for the backup to have a start a game or two and putting up huge numbers, often parlaying it into a misguided contract somewhere else.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:07 PM   #1378
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Did backups used to do better generally?

I remember it being totally common for the backup to have a start a game or two and putting up huge numbers, often parlaying it into a misguided contract somewhere else.

Matt Flynn says Hi!!!!!
Old 10-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #1379
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Matt Flynn says Hi!!!!!

Also, Scott Mitchell.
Old 10-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #1380
miked
College Starter

I keep reading that Chase Daniel has made close to 40M despite throwing like 200 passes in his career (and not throwing them well). Seems like the best bet in the 4D chess is just to get minimum salary QB and pray the starter does not get hurt. I mean the Bears are paying Dalton and Foles like $18M to ride the pine and put up crappy numbers. Brisette is being paid 5M and did not do that great. Why pay these guys $3-5M when you can just get a practice squad guy for 200k?
Old 10-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #1381
JPhillips
General Manager

I think that's a big part of it. How much of your cap are you willing to devote to a guy you hope won't ever play?
Old 10-26-2021, 04:53 PM   #1382
bhlloy
Coordinator

Seems like a relatively simple cost optimization problem - what is the WAR for a typical QB in the 30-40 range and how does that compare with what you’d get if you spent that salary on something else? That’s the peak value of what is essentially your insurance policy.

It does feel like Foles has ruined a lot of teams thoughts on this, but how he has played since makes that pretty clear it was a complete short term flash in the pan (Hi Matt Flynn!). My personal thought is that the teams letting it ride with a replacement level player (or do what the Patriots had some success doing and pick a mid round guy you really like on a rookie contract) are doing the right thing - yeah Keenum won a game but if Mayfield doesn’t come back the Browns aren’t winning a Super Bowl. The chances that the starter gets you far enough and then the expensive backup comes in and can finish it off have got to be pretty slim.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:11 PM   #1383
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
My personal thought is that the teams letting it ride with a replacement level player (or do what the Patriots had some success doing and pick a mid round guy you really like on a rookie contract) are doing the right thing - yeah Keenum won a game but if Mayfield doesn’t come back the Browns aren’t winning a Super Bowl. The chances that the starter gets you far enough and then the expensive backup comes in and can finish it off have got to be pretty slim.

This makes sense to me. Keenum was probably too good of an example as he did win a playoff game a couple of years back. Like I said, I don't expect to see a Don Strock backing up Dan Marino or Jeff Hostetler backing up Chris Simms. But I also don't expect to see the backup come in and look like he had not played football since pee wee league. It just feels like backup QB is pretty much a throwaway position. I feel like it is more a reflection of the coaching that QBs do and do not receive in the NFL.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #1384
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I agree but think there are a couple of other elements as well. The modern game makes quarterback even more important than it used to be. The league is also large enough that by the time you go through 32 teams, a bunch of them are going to have starting QBs that are much, much worse than the top 5-10 elite ones are. And that's before you even *get* to backups. We see significant dropoffs all the time when an elite wide receiver, lineman on either side of the ball, linebacker, etc. goes down. Kind of like how Brady has said he didn't even throw over the middle in the vicinity of Ray Lewis on purpose because he'd get his receivers hurt. They were a different team when Lewis wasn't there. It's just that QBs have such an outsized impact that you take that normal gap and magnify it several times over.

I don't think it's good for the sport in a competitive sense for one out of two dozen starters to have that much impact, but fans like high scores, passing, etc. so it is what it is.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-26-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:57 PM   #1385
bhlloy
Coordinator

The irony of this discussion is that Geno Smith has been above replacement value by QB Rating this year... better than guys like Jimmy G, Big Ben and Goff. Small sample size and an imperfect stat, but yeah. Career wise he's close to the bottom but not quite the worst "starter".
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #1386
Swaggs
Coordinator

It would be interesting to somehow figure out how many years, on average, a typical back up is retained by teams in 2021 vs say 1990. When I think of my childhood, all the best teams had long-term back ups like Steve Young (and Steve Bono) on the 49ers, Hostetler with the Giants, and Frank Reich for the Bills, and Kubiak for the Broncos. Those guys all stuck around, knew the playbooks, and presumably had good cohesion with their offenses. I guess they all had long term coaches, for the most part, as well.

I think nowadays, there are a handful of different types of teams. The ones with superstar QBs that just need an injury back up, the teams with competent but unspectacular QBs that are willing to upgrade if the price is right (be it $$$ or draft capital), and teams that are train wrecks at the position that are hoping to get lucky enough to find one of the above. Between the cap and free agency limiting long-term development time, that makes it a risk to spend too many resources on the back up position for most teams outside of the ones with clear job openings. It kind of speaks to what caused all the hub-bub in Green Bay with Jordan Love, because it seemed like a waste of resources when you already have a franchise guy. So, in a lot of ways, it seems like a better use of resources to get the average guy for minimal resources, put the resources into other spots that are easier to fill and see improvement with, and then roll the dice hoping for the best.

As a Steelers' fan, I feel like we've been in the competent but unspectacular spot for several years where, Ben is good enough to get the playoffs when the rest of the team is solid, but it doesn't make sense to draft a replacement before the 3rd round and we've gone through 3 or 4 in the last 7 or 8 years without having a competent back up since Charlie Batch retired (and he probably only stuck around because it was his hometown team).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #1387
QuikSand
lolzcat

Too soon for a 22 offseason thread, for those of us moving on from this rotten year?

2022 NFL Free Agency Primer: Top players at every position | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #1388
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Too soon for a 22 offseason thread, for those of us moving on from this rotten year?

2022 NFL Free Agency Primer: Top players at every position | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

How could you move on from 2021 when my Cards are still undefeated (for now?)
Old 10-27-2021, 09:32 AM   #1389
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
How could you move on from 2021 when my Cards are still undefeated (for now?)

Living in a simulation confirmed

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #1390
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Living in a simulation confirmed

SI

Heh
Old 10-28-2021, 06:49 AM   #1391
Thomkal
Head Coach

So no Devonte Adams for the Packers tonight (Covid), no JJ Watt for the cards-needs season ending shoulder surgery.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:02 AM   #1392
bronconick
College Starter

JJ Watt having season ending surgery is the least surprising piece of NFL news possible.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:54 AM   #1393
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The guy in the NFL Front Office in charge of making sure the mid-season Thursday night games are always shitty really messed tonight's game up.

He's had a really good run over the last few years, though, so we can cut him a little slack.
Old 10-28-2021, 08:56 AM   #1394
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
JJ Watt having season ending surgery is the least surprising piece of NFL news possible.

Yeah was certainly expecting to happen at some point, just wished he stayed healthy longer. This may open some trade possibilities for them with the dead line coming on the 6th. Not sure who will be available/will fit in their salary cap
Old 10-28-2021, 09:39 AM   #1395
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah was certainly expecting to happen at some point, just wished he stayed healthy longer. This may open some trade possibilities for them with the dead line coming on the 6th. Not sure who will be available/will fit in their salary cap

Windows close quick in the NFL. And y'all are in one right now. If I were the Cards, I'd certainly trade future assets and push cap forward to YOLO this year (assuming that there's a player worth getting).
Old 10-28-2021, 12:21 PM   #1396
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The guy in the NFL Front Office in charge of making sure the mid-season Thursday night games are always shitty really messed tonight's game up.

He's had a really good run over the last few years, though, so we can cut him a little slack.

I lol'd

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 03:02 PM   #1397
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post

Thanks! I moved on from this season even before the pre-season began.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 09:32 PM   #1398
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Sources are saying Watt tore his iabrum, bicep, AND rotator cuff and dislocated his shoulder as well. Most other players, I would say that's career ending injuries
Old 10-28-2021, 10:34 PM   #1399
spleen1015
Coordinator

Wow, the end of this GB/ARI game.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:35 PM   #1400
Atocep
Coordinator

AJ Green, wtf are you doing?
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote