Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-30-2021, 07:16 PM   #901
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Why is Oklahoma State-Kansas the primetime game for the Big XII this week?
SI

Because it’s on FS1, and they aren’t very high on the pecking order. I see that the primetime Pac-12 game is 0-7 Arizona at 3-4 USC on ESPNU.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #902
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Congrats to the MSU people. Pretty much a dream start to the game for Michigan, and if you can't hold a 30-14 third-quarter lead you don't deserve to win.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:55 PM   #903
Swaggs
Coordinator

I wonder if Mel Tucker might get some looks from NFL teams this off-season. What he is doing this year is impressive.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:59 PM   #904
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Maybe, but LSU is probably going to offer the most money.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:09 AM   #905
Edward64
Head Coach

Caught bits and pieces early on, thought Michigan had it well at hand. Pretty sad collapse.

Mississippi State beating up on #12 KY is not good and does not reinforce my (somewhat) confidence that we'll beat them next week.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 08:51 AM   #906
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Congrats to the MSU people. Pretty much a dream start to the game for Michigan, and if you can't hold a 30-14 third-quarter lead you don't deserve to win.

Would be interested to get some takes on Harbaugh from UM fans. I suppose it ultimately depends on the tOSU game but is he doing just enough to stay or just enough to get fired?
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:10 PM   #907
JPhillips
General Manager

My guess for Tuesday night.

1 Georgia
2 Oklahoma
3 MSU
4 Cincy
5 Alabama
6 Oregon
7 Ohio State
8 Wake Forest
9 Notre Dame
10 Michigan

I'll be shocked if they don't set it up to make it easy to screw even an undefeated Cincy team out of the playoff. Ranking them 2nd makes it hard to replace them.
Old 10-31-2021, 12:26 PM   #908
tarcone
Coordinator

What I think Tuesday night looks like

1. Georgia
2. tOSU
3. Alabama
4. MSU
5. Oklahoma
6. Cincy
7. Wake Forest
8. Oregon
9. ND
10. Mich.

This guarantees one B1G, 2 SEC and the dog fight for the last spot between OU and Cincy with Wake a dark horse.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:42 PM   #909
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Cinci will be in the top 4 with that win over ND. My guess is it will be Georgia, MSU, OK, Cinci. Bama and tOSU control their own fate regardless.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 12:53 PM   #910
HerRealName
College Prospect

I'm an OSU alum but I'm very uncomfortable with Ohio State being ranked over Oregon at this point.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 02:43 PM   #911
tarcone
Coordinator

When Iowa coach Bob Commings was fired, it had been 20 years since Iowa won a conference championship.
Right now, it has been 17 years since Iowa has won a conference championship.

Old 10-31-2021, 04:25 PM   #912
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

If this happens, RIP CUSA.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:47 PM   #913
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble
suppose it ultimately depends on the tOSU game but is he doing just enough to stay or just enough to get fired?

I don't think there's much chance of beating Ohio State. I think if they were going to fire him they'd have done it already. It's pretty clear McNamara is as effective as any QB they've had - I think they're keeping him because it's more likely the replacement would be worse than better. I really just look at this as - they were 2-4 last year. It was a disaster. This year they should go to a good bowl and win ten games. Going from 2-4 to winning the Big Ten was never really realistic IMO. Obviously they are underperforming in big games and that's a problem - I'd be in favor of replacing him if there's a better option, but I don't see one.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 10-31-2021 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:50 PM   #914
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Gary Patterson out at TCU

Long-time Big 12 coach announces he's leaving program, effective immediately
Old 10-31-2021, 07:08 PM   #915
GrantDawg

Patterson had such a good run for a long time at TCU. He could have left for a bigger program several times in the past, but stay with them. It sad that it ended like this.

Old 11-01-2021, 08:59 AM   #916
miami_fan
Coordinator

They asked Patterson to finish the season and he declined to do so. Did Patterson quit on his team in the middle of the season?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:52 AM   #917
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
They asked Patterson to finish the season and he declined to do so. Did Patterson quit on his team in the middle of the season?

Coach P is an old school coach. He demanded respect from his players, the university, and the community. He also gave alot back ad was rock-solid in the FW community. He is much loved by current and former players. Having said all that, he was struggling mightily with the recent changes to the system, namely NIL stuff. He fits the dictator mold but would do anything for guys that bought into his system. Over the summer, he basically told TCU boosters that they need to pony up cash in order to pay players going forward, otherwise TCU would fall behind. He's not wrong. But he's a very stubborn guy who feels that he had banked enough credit to weather the recent run of subpar seasons. He feels like he doesnt need or have to apologize for a downturn, considering where this program was when he arrived. But this is a new era in college athletics, for better or worse. Apparently, the administration sat him down yesterday and basically asked him to retire at the end of the year. Coach P told them to go fuck themselves. Not sure if that's "quitting" or not. Either way, sad ending to a great run. I'm not sure if TCU will ever be the same.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #918
Swaggs
Coordinator

I worry a lot about the NIL stuff at schools like mine (West Virginia). I am aware of a few contracts that are out, but they are with the car dealership that provides cars to the coaches, local law firms, and sports-themed shops/restaurants.

Between the NIL and the transfer portal with immediate eligibility (which I still don't completely understand), it seems like the schools a tier ahead of us will be able to poach from us (we lost two starting DBs to Georgia and Auburn - one left with his position coach) and we will, in-turn have to poach from the schools a tier below us. I think football can still be fun, but it is just going to be a lot different than the days of seeing 4th and 5th year system guys that make programs like ours able to compete on a more national scale every 4 or 5 years.

I'm interested to see how basketball will work. I think we've already had almost ten kids enter the portal during the season. I think college basketball is going to be insane with transfers and NIL-baiting, because one or two kids can make a huge difference in basketball.
Old 11-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #919
Swaggs
Coordinator

Dola - I meant to sort of my above post to the ones about Patterson, as TCU is a pretty small, private school with 90,000 living alumni (Texas has 540,000 and A&M lists 508,000 for contrast - even WVU has over 200,000). They are in a great area and I'm sure have some wealthy alums, but they may struggle with this stuff, too. In reading over the list of potential replacements, it doesn't look like there is a slam dunk hire. I feel like Tom Herman should be getting some buzz for some of these jobs, but I think I have heard is not that well-liked by people that have worked with him in the past.
Old 11-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #920
cuervo72
Head Coach

Hey, just wait until the SEC changes the rule again to allow in-season transfers!!!
Old 11-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #921
Ksyrup

Umm... I don't know which parts of the Texas special teams coach stories are true, but they build one heck of a headline if you put them all together.

Something along the lines of... Texas special teams coach leaves wife and kids for stripper named Pole Assassin who has pet monkey that allegedly attacked a child last night during Halloween.

Quite the Mad Lib going on there.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-01-2021, 09:02 PM   #922
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Hey, just wait until the SEC changes the rule again to allow in-season transfers!!!

Will bring a new meaning to the phrase "listed day-to-day"
Old 11-02-2021, 03:20 PM   #923
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Clay Helton reportedly to Ga Southern -- 5 yrs / $800k per year
Old 11-02-2021, 04:01 PM   #924
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Umm... I don't know which parts of the Texas special teams coach stories are true, but they build one heck of a headline if you put them all together.

Something along the lines of... Texas special teams coach leaves wife and kids for stripper named Pole Assassin who has pet monkey that allegedly attacked a child last night during Halloween.

Quite the Mad Lib going on there.

Just did a Google search for "Texas special teams coach". Usually that leads to a Wiki entry or maybe the school's website. This time, it led straight to this story and ... well it is in Sports Illustrated.

Jeff Banks: Texas coach's girlfriend's monkey accusing of biting kid - Sports Illustrated
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #925
GrantDawg

Yeah, the CFP ranking is crap. A team that list to a unranked team number two? A team ranked ahead of the team that beat them with the same record? What?

Old 11-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #926
RainMaker
General Manager

The Ohio State ranking is weird. A loss to Oregon at home who was missing their best player. They haven't beaten anyone of consequence this year. Sure if they take out Michigan and Michigan State later in the year, but what exactly have they done to deserve #5?

Alabama at #2 despite only having one quality win and a bad loss to A&M.

And I know Wake Forest hasn't played anyone, but we both know if that was Clemson at 8-0 with the same schedule, they'd be in the top 4.

Oregon is the most baffling. They have a terrible loss to Stanford and have looked really pedestrian in a bad conference. They don't pass the on-field results test or the eye test. They would barely crack my top-10. What possible justification can be made to have them over Oklahoma?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:00 PM   #927
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
What possible justification can be made to have them over Oklahoma?

I'll just let ESPN handle the laundry list on that one

Quote:
The Sooners have zero wins against opponents ranked by the selection committee, and struggled to beat Kansas, Tulane, Nebraska and others

The Sooners eye test looks bad, even against a lackluster schedule.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:10 PM   #928
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
The Sooners eye test looks bad, even against a lackluster schedule.

I agree, but Oregon has looked like crap against some bad competition too (including the worst loss out of any team in the top 10 of the rankings). So if we're using the eye test, they have no business in the top 4.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 07:39 PM   #929
tarcone
Coordinator

My rankings were damn close.

This is a beauty contest. Cinci has no shot. And the rankings will be rigged to make sure of that, even with a bunch of one loss teams.

Old 11-02-2021, 08:22 PM   #930
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I did my part of my undergrad at UC so I am biased but this is shit. UC has the best win in the country (yes, you can make the argument). Alabama lost as a 17 point favorite to A and M, Oregon lost to a horrible Stanford, and OK has struggled in several wins including Kansas.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:25 PM   #931
JPhillips
General Manager

I knew Cincy would get screwed eventually, but I didn't expect it so soon.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #932
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I knew Cincy would get screwed eventually, but I didn't expect it so soon.

Yeah. They sent a clear message there is literally nothing they can do to get in at this point. The best they can do is win out and hope for a New Years day game against a Wake Forest.

Georgia can lose and still get in. tOSU will beat MSU and Michigan and get in. Oregon is the interesting one. If they win out I don't see how you drop them. Does a 2 loss Bama get in?

I know a lot will change, but lets say Bama wins the SEC title game, them and Georgia both in. tOSU wins the big 10 and is in. Then it comes down to Oregon and Ok.

Last edited by Lathum : 11-02-2021 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:47 PM   #933
GrantDawg

Hey Lathum let's don't. Let's say Georgia wins out, and the rest can fight for second place.

Last edited by GrantDawg : 11-02-2021 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 08:48 PM   #934
Ksyrup

As someone on Twitter pointed out, ESPN better be ready to blur a shitload of signs on Saturday.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:15 AM   #935
bhlloy
Coordinator

At some point you might as well just come out and admit the criteria is which 4 teams somewhere around the top 10 can we make the most TV money from.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 01:23 AM   #936
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum
Georgia can lose and still get in. tOSU will beat MSU and Michigan and get in. Oregon is the interesting one. If they win out I don't see how you drop them. Does a 2 loss Bama get in?

Bama is the interesting part to me. I think they're clearly one of the four best teams by appearance, but losses have to matter. Herbstreit says there's no way they get in with two losses. I hope that's true but I don't think it is.

If they get in with two losses and a Cincinatti or other is unbeaten and doesn't get in, I think we'd see (rightfully) a whole new level of anger.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:40 AM   #937
JPhillips
General Manager

I like this.

Quote:
1. Every FBS team starts with 100 marbles, plus 10 bonus marbles for every P5 team on their schedule

2. Win at home, take 20% of your opponent's marbles; win on the road, take 25% of your opponent's marbles.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:49 AM   #938
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Looks like the marble rankings mentioned above are kept up to date here:

http://thenemindex.blogspot.com/2021...eek-9.html?m=1
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 09:30 AM   #939
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Bama is the interesting part to me. I think they're clearly one of the four best teams by appearance, but losses have to matter. Herbstreit says there's no way they get in with two losses. I hope that's true but I don't think it is.

If they get in with two losses and a Cincinatti or other is unbeaten and doesn't get in, I think we'd see (rightfully) a whole new level of anger.

Nah a 2-loss bama team means they dont win the SEC West. Or UGA beat their ass in the SEC Championship - too late for them to overcome anything
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #940
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

They're #2 now with a loss. I don't think it's at all foregone that if they win the rest until the SEC championship and lose competitively to Georgia they drop three spots.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:45 AM   #941
Ksyrup

If Alabama loses a close game to clear #1 UGA, they will make it with 2 losses.

This shit is so infuriating. A few years ago Alabama lost to Auburn, lost the SEC West, and got to sit a game while Auburn lost to a UGA team they had beaten earlier in the year, so Alabama could make the playoff without having to risk that extra game they could have potentially lost.

Why would 2 losses prevent them from being in the top 4?

I want the BCS back if all we're trying to do if crown the "best" team. Two teams, vote on who's the best two, and play. If we're doing 4, 8, 12, 16, etc., it becomes a tournament. And in tournaments, the best teams don't always make it or win. We've got the worst of both worlds right now.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:58 AM   #942
cuervo72
Head Coach

Shoot, I'd endorse the marble rankings.
Old 11-03-2021, 07:12 PM   #943
bob
College Starter

I really don’t understand why people have problems with Cincinnati’s ranking. They are #2 in the AP because they started #7 and teams above them lost and moving up is how it works. But outside of beating ND*, who exactly on this list of murders row impressed you:

4-5 Miami of Ohio?
3-5 FCS Murray State?
2-6 Indiana?
3-5 Temple?
5-3 UCF?
2-6 Navy?
1-7 Tulane?

* - I’m guessing most of you didn’t watch the ND game. Kudos for winning and all, but they had only two drives of any length, their other points coming off unforced turnovers. Also, very likely ND wins that game if stubborn Brian Kelly switched QBs earlier in the game so they didn’t have a statue in the pocket.

On a related note, ND is really not any good this year. Yeah, they have won the rest of their games, but their opponents haven’t been that great either. To his credit, Kelly has gotten to the point where he pretty much always beats teams he should. Just rarely wins a big game.

Last edited by bob : 11-03-2021 at 07:18 PM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 07:14 PM   #944
bob
College Starter

Marble thing is cool except it incentivizes you to play the worst possible opponent in game one.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:53 AM   #945
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Marble thing is cool except it incentivizes you to play the worst possible opponent in game one.

This, plus shitty P5 teams become absolute scheduling gold dust. There's no incentive to play a good team at the start of the year because you're getting just as many marbles if you beat Vanderbilt OOC than if you beat Ohio State. It's a fun idea, but it feels like it has enough holes in it to drive a truck through and would immediately be gamed by everyone.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 07:48 AM   #946
cuervo72
Head Coach

If those P5 teams are going to be a part of the system, some good teams have to play them. Vanderbilt could conceivably be good; someone has to beat them down eventually. If nobody good ever plays them you get...Wake Forest.

If you want to kick those teams OUT of the P5...well, I might be cool with that, too.

What it might incentivize is to stop scheduling the non-P5 cupcakes.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:08 AM   #947
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I really don’t understand why people have problems with Cincinnati’s ranking. They are #2 in the AP because they started #7 and teams above them lost and moving up is how it works. But outside of beating ND*, who exactly on this list of murders row impressed you:

4-5 Miami of Ohio?
3-5 FCS Murray State?
2-6 Indiana?
3-5 Temple?
5-3 UCF?
2-6 Navy?
1-7 Tulane?

* - I’m guessing most of you didn’t watch the ND game. Kudos for winning and all, but they had only two drives of any length, their other points coming off unforced turnovers. Also, very likely ND wins that game if stubborn Brian Kelly switched QBs earlier in the game so they didn’t have a statue in the pocket.

On a related note, ND is really not any good this year. Yeah, they have won the rest of their games, but their opponents haven’t been that great either. To his credit, Kelly has gotten to the point where he pretty much always beats teams he should. Just rarely wins a big game.

Ah yes, the old, "the Notre Dame game shouldn't impress you, and even if it does, they suck" argument. Good stuff
Old 11-05-2021, 07:07 AM   #948
bob
College Starter

It's hilarious how after the CFP announcement everyone suddenly started making the argument that Notre Dame was a good team simply because of Cincy's win over them, all while Notre Dame fans have been saying they suck now.

I’ve been a ND fan all my life. They aren’t that good.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:44 AM   #949
Ksyrup

But that's the thing - if we're doing a tournament style playoff and Cincy wins its conference and goes undefeated, they should be in. Period.

The Atlanta Braves won fewer games than 11 other teams this year. It didn't matter in the playoffs. They won their division and were in the playoffs.

This is why we need to expand the CFP to make it as close as FB can get to the basketball, baseball, softball... heck, pretty much every other sport ... tournament eligibility. You have a set of automatic qualifiers and some at-large bids. That way at least one non-P5 gets a seat at the table and a chance to pull off what apparently everyone in the world thinks will be the biggest upset in the history of sports.
Old 11-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #950
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
It's hilarious how after the CFP announcement everyone suddenly started making the argument that Notre Dame was a good team simply because of Cincy's win over them, all while Notre Dame fans have been saying they suck now.

I’ve been a ND fan all my life. They aren’t that good.

That is the least shocking thing I've read is that you are an ND fan and want to keep UC out.

Yet Notre Dame has played and beaten a better schedule than both Cincinnati and Michigan State. But their only loss was to Cincinnati.

Michigan State is somehow #3, but their marquee win was over an equally doubtable Michigan team. And their one comp win was by 5 on the same field that Cincinnati won on by 14. Against a backup QB, whereas UC actually played IU's original starter this year.

But I guess that doesn't matter either. Either rankings of teams they beat matter or they don't. Either the games matter or just the reputations.

By the eye test, this year it is probably Georgia and then everyone else. Maybe Alabama could make an argument for being a cut above. But everyone else is on about the same playing field. There is no objective reasoning for keeping Cincinnati out but including Michigan State. It's absurd the lengths they are willing to move the goalposts to get the desired result.