Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-01-2022, 01:49 PM   #951
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Pre-injury Justyn Ross looked like the first receiver off the board last year, maybe. Hope the kid had some insurance.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 03:05 PM   #952
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

It looks like no team has even invited him to camp. The fact that 32 teams' medical staffs didn't clear him makes me think that Clemson probably shouldn't have had him on the field either.

It's a horrible situation. I can't even imagine being a few years away from a dream as big as the NFL and losing it all for something completely out of your control. All by age 20.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:13 PM   #953
QuikSand
lolzcat

Great account to follow rookie signings... and the viz is fun, too

Kent Lee Platte (@MathBomb) | Twitter
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 08:15 PM   #954
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
In addition to Justyn Ross going undrafted, I was also somewhat surprised that teams didn't take a flyer on Carson Strong. He seemed like the consensus #6 QB on most lists. I get he had some injury concerns and doesn't have the mobility that team's want these days but he seems like a decent enough passer to be a serviceable backup, and is supposed to be fairly intelligent as well.

Apparently he got a $240K signing bonus as a UDFA from Philly, so he may have come out better than had he been drafted in the twilight phases.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:21 PM   #955
stevew
Hall Of Famer

the eagles giving out large guarantees for UDFA's is a new wrinkle that probably infuriates other teams. Strong got 320K total guaranteed from what I read. And there's several other guys that got more than 200k. I assume this amount is approximately what they would make on the practice squad most likely.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:32 PM   #956
QuikSand
lolzcat

I had thought there was a league-wide cap applying equally to each team on total UDFA signing bonuses... cannot find where I read that. So, I came away with the impression that shipping one guy a big amount like that just limited your ability to spend $20K and $40K variously on ten other guys, or whatnot.
Old 05-01-2022, 08:54 PM   #957
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I had thought there was a league-wide cap applying equally to each team on total UDFA signing bonuses... cannot find where I read that. So, I came away with the impression that shipping one guy a big amount like that just limited your ability to spend $20K and $40K variously on ten other guys, or whatnot.

IIRC the limit is on signing bonus for UDFA but there's no limit on guaranteed money they can offer them on the contract they sign. So the limit is really just on upfront money.

Last edited by Atocep : 05-01-2022 at 08:55 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:03 PM   #958
miami_fan
Coordinator

What is the price of free-agent contracts in the NFL?

Quote:
The NFL permits each team a reserve of money to be spent on a rookie draft class, both drafted and undrafted players. That amount is set based on the salary cap and is not commonly revealed to the public.

Since drafting players' contracts and signing bonuses are part of a slotted process, teams will have an overall thought as to how much money they have remaining in the rookie compensation pool to spend on undrafted free agents (UDFA) contracts and signing bonuses.

UDFAs base salary is the league minimum, and teams will use bonuses to persuade a player to join their roster. If teams are competing for a player, their signing bonus offers may elevate in line with the market for their services.

Also, since funds for signing bonuses are in short supply, and the competition for players is huge, teams have recently started to present portions of their salary as guaranteed money as a means to get players to sign a deal.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #959
Atocep
Coordinator

Here's a look at what teams were doing from 2019 and 2020.

UDFA Spending Trends by Team | Over the Cap
Old 05-01-2022, 10:23 PM   #960
QuikSand
lolzcat

got it, so some of these "bonus" numbers being tossed around are presumably unrestricted guaranteed base salary instead... makes sense
Old 05-02-2022, 12:49 PM   #961
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, this afternoon the switch flips for free agent signings counting against the compensatory calculations for next year. Expect some reinvigorated interest from savvy teams to target veterans at this point.

The Ravens always actively play this game - whisper to specific guys "we want you but not until after the May date." Ravens look like they really need an edge and a receiver from the veteran universe - would not be shocked if they added two familiar names by tomorrow. Justin Houston coming back seems logical, I keep hearing Julio Jones but I'm not sold on him as the right fit.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:50 PM   #962
QuikSand
lolzcat

Saints signing S Mathieu, apparently, effective tomorrow
Old 05-02-2022, 01:01 PM   #963
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Ross signed with the Chiefs. Probably won't amount to anything after the injuries but I'm sure they can stash him on IR all year and maybe they'll have something next year.
Old 05-02-2022, 01:59 PM   #964
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
LB Leo Chenal is a guy I picked in a ton of mock drafts, as a legit true off-ball LB without a lot of fluff... now he's looming as among the clear BPAs and I feel invested

Lions?

Dolphins?

Rams?

I was really hoping the Lions would draft Chenal. They have a terrible linebacking corps. Just awful. Their only addition to that group was a 6th round pick - Malcolm Rodriguez. He sounds like a fun player, but he's a converted safety who is small and has short arms. Not what you need in today's linebacker.

I like what the Lions did overall in this draft, but I do wonder whether drafting Josh Paschall (DE) and Kerby Joseph (S) instead of Jaquan Brisker (S) and Leo Chenal (LB), who were each taken a few picks later, respectively, will end up being a mistake.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:23 PM   #965
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

On the Athletic football show podcast, they were talking about how the conventional wisdom about “teams want to draft a quarterback in the first round so they can get the fifth your option“ is not really in play anymore. They pointed to the baker Mayfield and the Sam Darnold situation as showing how those are not always team friendly. This kind of makes sense. If you draft a guy and he hits, you are probably extending him before you get to that 5th year option. But if you are not sure about him, that option put you in an awkward position as a team. It is almost easier to just have a four year contract and the option to extend or franchise.
Old 05-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #966
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's pretty wild how roughly 25% of first round picks are not deemed worthy of a guaranteed 5th year. Like you'd expect that number to be 1-3 guys a year. Not 7-11 at least.
Old 05-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #967
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Hopkins out for first 6 games due to juicing.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #968
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Hopkins out for first 6 games due to juicing.

Guess we know why they really traded for Brown now. Very disappointing
Old 05-02-2022, 06:34 PM   #969
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I was really hoping the Lions would draft Chenal. They have a terrible linebacking corps. Just awful. Their only addition to that group was a 6th round pick - Malcolm Rodriguez. He sounds like a fun player, but he's a converted safety who is small and has short arms. Not what you need in today's linebacker.

I like what the Lions did overall in this draft, but I do wonder whether drafting Josh Paschall (DE) and Kerby Joseph (S) instead of Jaquan Brisker (S) and Leo Chenal (LB), who were each taken a few picks later, respectively, will end up being a mistake.

Agree. Seemed like we were triple-dipping at the DE spot (Hutch, already have Okwara, Harris, the other Okwara, and Bryant). How many DE's can we play? Considering we spent 2nd and 3rd last year on DL, this seems excessive. I hope it works out but might have felt better with Brisker and someone like Ruckert or Chenal.
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:38 AM   #970
Swaggs
Coordinator

I came across this on the Athletic, but thought it was cool. It is a chart showing a +/- for which picks were taken as to where they were on a consensus of multiple draft lists. It doesn't look like I can link the image, but worth a visit.

https://github.com/mrcaseb/nfl-data/...nsus_board.pdf

More green = higher value, More purple = more of a reach

It looks like they, unsurprisingly, have Malik Willis and Nakobe Dean as the two of the best values in the early rounds. New England with big reaches on their first picks and Baltimore absolutely killing it on their first five picks.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #971
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Bears going full Island of Misfit Toys - presently 36 UDFA's on the roster.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 05:49 PM   #972
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
I came across this on the Athletic, but thought it was cool. It is a chart showing a +/- for which picks were taken as to where they were on a consensus of multiple draft lists. It doesn't look like I can link the image, but worth a visit.

https://github.com/mrcaseb/nfl-data/...nsus_board.pdf
Thanks for sharing this. I love this sort of visual representation. It would be interesting to have a similar sort of chart after a couple of seasons to show expected vs actual performance.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:06 AM   #973
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Bears going full Island of Misfit Toys - presently 36 UDFA's on the roster.
This is what happens when football-stupid ownership retains GMs way past their expiration date.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:37 AM   #974
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

A weakness is a weakness. But off-ball linebacker might be the least valuable position in football in 2022. I can see the logic in simply not investing a lot of draft capital there.

If y'all get to camp and realize that the situation is dire, you can probably trade a 4th round pick for a pretty decent guy on some other team that has a surplus.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-06-2022 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #975
QuikSand
lolzcat

the Raiders front office seems to be in full reign-of-terror mode... yesterday their HR director out, today the team president

heads in baskets, man

get em, Mark
Old 05-06-2022, 12:17 PM   #976
QuikSand
lolzcat

Old 05-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #977
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
the Raiders front office seems to be in full reign-of-terror mode... yesterday their HR director out, today the team president

heads in baskets, man

get em, Mark

Did he fire his barber?
Old 05-07-2022, 06:53 PM   #978
21C
College Prospect

Another one of these.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:06 PM   #979
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Was the market for Tom Brady as announcer so competitive that Fox had to offer this?

This seems kind of insane for a guy who you're not even sure will be good at the job.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #980
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola:

I just looked it up. Romo gets paid $18,000,000/year. Which is currently the highest.

So assume that you could get a good color guy for $10,000,000/yr.

Even if Tom Brady is the best announcer in football, will your network make over $27,000,000/year extra by having him announce instead of an average announcer?

How many viewers does an announcer really bring in?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 05-10-2022 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:12 PM   #981
bk1020
n00b

I don't think the market was competitive at all. That's probably about the amount you need to give Tom Brady to get out of bed and commit to something long-term.
bk1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:19 PM   #982
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's only one of him. He's worth every penny and I'm sure he said something to the effect of "I'll need at least twice what Romo is making in order to do this"
Old 05-10-2022, 12:23 PM   #983
bk1020
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

I just looked it up. Romo gets paid $18,000,000/year. Which is currently the highest.

So assume that you could get a good color guy for $10,000,000/yr.

Even if Tom Brady is the best announcer in football, will your network make over $27,000,000/year extra by having him announce instead of an average announcer?

You have to consider here that Fox is paying $2.2 Billion per year for the NFL rights in the first place. And Tom Brady obviously knows that.

Also, aren't the top50 broadcasts in the US every year almost all football games? NFL Football may be the only thing left that ensures solid TV ratings.

Last edited by bk1020 : 05-10-2022 at 12:29 PM.
bk1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #984
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
dola:

Yeah I can't imagine anyone tunes into a football game to listen to Joe Buck.
Old 05-10-2022, 12:56 PM   #985
cuervo72
Head Coach

I don't know that any but a few announcers (Madden, Michaels) ever bring anybody in. Some can put people off, but I don't know about the opposite. (Bringing in names certainly didn't work for MNF for a while.)

I'd imagine this is just competing against...well, I'm not sure really. ESPN has Aikman, CBS has Romo. (Thank goodness there are no other decent Dallas QB available.) Not sure where else other than Fox he'd go if NBC is set with Collinsworth.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:12 PM   #986
molson
General Manager

I don't think it's really about viewers, it's just having him a part of the team and all that entails with sponsor relationships and the whole Fox empire.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #987
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yeah, for me, the broadcasters generally don't lure me into watching a game, but they can make me not watch a game for sure. For example, MNF has been dead to me through several announcing crew iterations. Now I watch the Peyton & Eli show on Mondays. I am sad that my favorite team of Michaels and Collinsworth got broken apart, but I think Michaels/Herbstreit will be good, and Tirico/Collinsworth will be pretty good. Nantz/Romo is good.

Aikman is fine, although I wouldn't exactly miss him if he left. Buck is annoying yet somehow getting fabulously rich. I don't know anyone who enjoys him...

That $37.5 per year Brady is getting seems totally absurd. We don't even know if he's good at the job yet. Look at Dan Marino: He could sling the ball great, but he was worthless as an analyst.

Last edited by Kodos : 05-10-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Kodos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:13 PM   #988
QuikSand
lolzcat

Old 05-12-2022, 08:39 PM   #989
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

This is the best thing the Lions organization has done since… drafting Barry Sanders?

Fantastic.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 09:17 PM   #990
QuikSand
lolzcat

OMG even better...

Old 05-12-2022, 10:17 PM   #991
sabotai
General Manager

That was incredible.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:46 PM   #992
JPhillips
General Manager

It's really weird that the Jets open with four games against the AFC North.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:49 PM   #993
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The Steelers play every game this year in the Eastern Time zone.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:18 PM   #994
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The NFL is so popular that not only don't they have to care about criticism they get, but they troll everyone with the opening game on the schedule? You think the Bills got screwed by the OT rules? OK, they can open the season against the Rams. There's your Super Bowl that never was!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:22 PM   #995
Atocep
Coordinator

I read today that Jared Goff is 3-17-1 with a qbr of 33 without McVay.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:08 PM   #996
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Haskins was legally drunk when he died.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:33 PM   #997
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Haskins was legally drunk when he died.

Golly, what a shock.

Also worth noting
Quote:
Haskins' toxicology report also notes that ketamine was detected in his urine at the time of death, though no drugs were detected in his blood.

Ketamine can be used as a sedative or treatment for depression, but it is also known as a "club drug" that can produce "dissociative sensations and hallucinations, "
Old 05-23-2022, 06:38 PM   #998
molson
General Manager

I saw this overhead photo of the highways he tried to cross, he would have been coming from the top of the photo down

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 06:52 PM   #999
RainMaker
General Manager

I don't know if it's banned by the NFL (guessing it is), but some athletes would use ketamine with a stimulant for workouts. It's done in low doses, but supposedly puts you into a trance and you feel little to no pain. So you can lift an absurd amount of weights and not feel it or care.

Ketamine and booze seems like a really bad mix.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 10:49 AM   #1000
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

NFL Owners close ranks to protect each other.

But I am wondering if the end is at least in sight for Dan Snyder.

His incompetence is starting to cost the league money, which is the one unforgivable sin. Between stuff like this and the allegations that he improperly withheld revenue sharing payment to the other teams, they are not going to put up with him for much longer, IMO.