Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #201
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake View Post
Don't get too excited about the US law changing yet. Although Barney Frank, the Chairman of the House Financial Services Committee, does have a bill that would make online gambling legal and regulated, it looks unlikely to move next year. This would be a very tough bill to pass in an election year. Maybe it will get some play in 2009, depeding on who wins the White House.

FYI......Frank's bill is not the one that's most likely to pass. There's another bill currently up for debate that is much more likely to be the one that goes through. It has a much broader base of support than Frank's bill.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 01:28 PM   #202
Galaxy
Coordinator

Sounds exciting if a bill is passed.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:25 PM   #203
chesapeake
College Starter

The only thing that has a tiny chance of pasing is Nevada Congresswoman Shelley Berkley's bill to study the issue. That would allow Congress to put the issue off until the study is completed it has a good year or two or ten to mull over the findings.

Chairman Frank's bill is the only one that would make any changes in the law that appears to have much of a chance. This is not to say that a Senator can't offer this or similar language to a bill at any time -- Majority Leader Reid (also from Nevada) probably would if he thought it might win. I'd simply rate that as highly unlikely to happen.
chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 01:33 PM   #204
Galaxy
Coordinator

Such a shame that with all the crap in politics, they focus on this.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:41 PM   #205
chesapeake
College Starter

I think the point is that they are not focusing on this. That is why it is unlikely to pass.

If you are arguing that the legislation passed last year that made it more difficult to wager on the internet shouldn't have passed in the first place, I'd agree with that. Congressional Republicans airdropped it into a conference report on a port security bill -- very disappointing.
Old 12-14-2007, 04:16 PM   #206
Radii
Head Coach

http://www.reuters.com/article/inter...31132320071214

There seems to be some hope among the PPA that a WTO decision that is strongly against the US and includes intellectual property sanctions might make congress more likely to act on some of the bills that have been introduced.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:55 PM   #207
GoldenEagle
Grizzled Veteran

I played at a table tonight on the Prima Network that rivaled the games pre-UIGEA. It was very loose and only one maniac at the table. All the players were from North America as well. I think word might slowly be starting to get out about playing online again.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:14 PM   #208
Galaxy
Coordinator

Any updates on this?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:16 PM   #209
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

I doubt much is going to happen on this during an election year personally.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:28 PM   #210
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I know that the posters over at the 2+2 forums and the Poker Alliance (PPA) leaders expect some movement towards removing the restrictions before the end of 2008. They haven't been very specific, but I know that there was a significant increase in the amount of money being invested in lobbying efforts and it's reportedly paying dividends.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:35 PM   #211
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

Considering I withdraw my money from Stars straight to my bank account and could add money the same way if I wanted to with their Echeck option these restrictions are a joke anyway. All they did was take a few of the reputable and established companies out of the picture such as Neteller.

The problem was that the "ban" got a bit of media coverage and some of the fish thought they couldnt play anymore but considering the traffic these days, 140k on stars alone a few nights ago, I think most of them have made their way back.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:45 AM   #212
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by -apoc- View Post
Considering I withdraw my money from Stars straight to my bank account and could add money the same way if I wanted to with their Echeck option these restrictions are a joke anyway. All they did was take a few of the reputable and established companies out of the picture such as Neteller.

The problem was that the "ban" got a bit of media coverage and some of the fish thought they couldnt play anymore but considering the traffic these days, 140k on stars alone a few nights ago, I think most of them have made their way back.

Agreed. The only issue is getting your money into the sites, which can be a bit of a chore. Outside of that, not much has changed.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:40 PM   #213
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

So, does anybody have a site or processor they'd recommend that's not a total pain in the ass to use?
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 PM   #214
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post
So, does anybody have a site or processor they'd recommend that's not a total pain in the ass to use?

pokerstars is using echecks with no problems
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 09:38 PM   #215
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Ologist View Post

I probably overstated the annoyance factor a bit when we PM'd. It sucks compared to the good old days but its not really that bad getting money in.

Full Tilt or Stars is pretty much where everyone is, Stars has echecks, full tilt doesn't.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:37 PM   #216
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Latest edition of the Ante Up! podcast has an interview with PPA chairman, Alphonse D'Amato, on where the current legislation stands in regards to online poker.

http://pod.sptimes.com/anteup139.mp3
Old 04-01-2008, 11:20 AM   #217
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Post about the cost of online gambling bans...........

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2008/...an-costing-us/

Europe is getting pretty pissed off at the U.S. for some of its offshore gambling arrests and failure to recognize online gambling...........

http://www.cato-at-liberty.org/2008/...th-vs-goliath/
Old 04-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #218
chesapeake
College Starter

No American ever lost a vote by kicking the Europeans in a trade case, and I expect the EU will recognize that going to the mat on this one will not ultimately get them where they want to be.

They do, however, have more guns on their side than the poor Antiguans, who can win every single WTO decision they possibly could and still get crushed like a grape.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:13 AM   #219
Radii
Head Coach

Apparently ePassporte is no longer available as a deposit method and rumors are flying that they're getting the same treatment that Neteller got a couple years ago, but there is absolutely no confirmation of this at all. ePassporte isn't working as a deposit option anywhere, Absolute and Cake have removed it entirely(apparently, I woudln't touch absolute w/ a 10 foot pole but others are reporting that). FTP's deposit page for me has a popup that says that ePassporte is unavailable. Cake Poker's cashier page has the following notice on it:

Quote:
To all Cake Poker Customers:
We have received notice from ePassporte today that they are unable to continue to provide CakePoker with merchant e-wallet services. We have since confirmed that this situation is not unique to CakePoker and is, in fact, industry wide.

While we are disappointed with this decision, we want to reassure all players that there will be no impact to either your account balances or your account status at Cake. We are pleased to have launched earlier this week with a new payment processor and have already secured alternative processors/eWallets that we will be launching in the weeks to come. We are also in discussions with other providers that will be making their services available in the CakePoker cashier soon. Players are welcome to inquire with Customer Support for more details.

As always, we value your business and will continue to make every effort possible to make your poker experience a great one.

Regards,
The CakePoker Team

People are reporting that epass ATM cards are working for people to get their money out immediately. I requested a bank withdrawl of the $200 I had in epass. Unfortunately I also had a $450 withdrawl going from Full Tilt -> ePass to try to take advantage of the current Pokerstars bonus, but its taken an unusually long time to process and I've e-mailed full tilt asking them if they can cancel the withdrawl.

BLEHBLEHBLEH.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #220
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Unfortunately I also had a $450 withdrawl going from Full Tilt -> ePass to try to take advantage of the current Pokerstars bonus, but its taken an unusually long time to process and I've e-mailed full tilt asking them if they can cancel the withdrawl.

Woohoo, just got an e-mail saying that my withdrawl request has been declined. <3 Full Tilt.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #221
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Woohoo, just got an e-mail saying that my withdrawl request has been declined. <3 Full Tilt.

Just trying to make sure I'm following you here... by "declined" there you mean canceled at your request, correct? (Not telling us that FT is suddenly into the business of declining its customers' withdrawal requests, followed by a sarcastic remark)
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #222
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Just trying to make sure I'm following you here... by "declined" there you mean canceled at your request, correct? (Not telling us that FT is suddenly into the business of declining its customers' withdrawal requests, followed by a sarcastic remark)

I only got the generic "declined" e-mail from them:

Quote:
Your withdrawal request has been declined. Please review your
personal account information to ensure that it is the same as the
information stored with your payment processor. You may correct
any of your personal information and try again. If you are still
unsuccessful, you may wish to try one of the other available
withdrawal methods.

and am hoping they do follow up with a response to my support request, but for now I'm assuming that this was either done to 'cancel' my transaction based on my support request, or that because of the issues at ePassporte they've cancelled all in process transactions. I haven't seen anything about the latter on 2+2 though.

But my comments weren't sarcastic at all, I am much happier right now having my money spread out between 3 poker sites at the moment(Stars, FTP, and Cake) than having anything sitting in ePassporte.
Old 04-12-2008, 05:33 PM   #223
Radii
Head Coach

e-mail from full tilt:

Quote:
As per your request, your withdrawal (transaction #xxxxxxxxx) has been
voided, and the funds have been automatically returned to your Full Tilt
Poker account.

so it looks like it was done b/c I requested it, all good! I don't know if they don't have any other sort of notification on cancelled/voided transactions other than to refer to them as "DECLINED" but the money is in the safest place possible atm(ie anywhere but epassporte) so I'm happy.

Prediction: ePassporte is completely finished at least as far as gambling transactions go. I give it 50/50 at best that I get the little money I had stupidly left in there within the next 3 months.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:18 PM   #224
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

So this E-check thing on PokerStars is pretty legit, eh? I'm just nervous putting out my bank account information (though I'm totally fine doing a credit card...but there's no option for that anymore).
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:54 AM   #225
-apoc-
H.S. Freshman Team

I have only had one problem with E-checks and have been using them to withdraw since dec. That was a withdrawl being delayed 2 weeks because of the processor screwing up and PS gave me a credit of 20% my withdrawl amount to my account for the inconvience.

If it was a smaller site I would be alot more concerned with it but PS is the industry leader at this point the last thing they want to do is screw someone out of a couple hundred bucks and get the bad press for it.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM   #226
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by -apoc- View Post
I have only had one problem with E-checks and have been using them to withdraw since dec. That was a withdrawl being delayed 2 weeks because of the processor screwing up and PS gave me a credit of 20% my withdrawl amount to my account for the inconvience.

I had problems with an e-check deposit around the same time, but have otherwise used e-checks many times without issue. Completely agree with differentiating Stars from everyone else too as far as this stuff goes(even full tilt at this point imo).
Old 05-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #227
kingnebwsu
College Benchwarmer

I think everyone had problems around the time you guys mention. I will deposit some money tonight then...thanks
kingnebwsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:07 PM   #228
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

FWIW I never had a problem with ECheck
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:39 PM   #229
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

House Resolution 5767 dies in committee...........

http://hardboiledpoker.blogspot.com/...committee.html

This Bachus guy from Alabama is a piece of work.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-26-2008 at 12:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM   #230
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Looks like one of the bills has finally cleared a hurdle. The House passed a measure that relaxed the restrictions that were put in place. It's now up to the Senate to also pass the measure.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...trictions.html
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:13 AM   #231
chesapeake
College Starter

Don't hold you breath. All that happened was Barney Frank passed a small bill he wrote out of his own committee. Consideration by the full House is not yet scheduled.

Given the remarks made at the markup by the Republican ranking member of the Financial Services Committee, their side opposes the bill. If Frank's bill is to pass next week -- the last week of this session -- it would have to do so on the Suspension calendar, meaning that it would need to get two-thirds of those voting to vote aye. With the GOP opposition, they don't have that. The vote in committee was 30-19.

Sorry to be the wet blanket.

Last edited by chesapeake : 09-19-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:58 AM   #232
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Poker site cheating: Poker site cheating plot a high-stakes whodunit - Crime & courts - MSNBC.com

I remember some discussion on this a while back when it first started coming to light.
Old 09-27-2008, 12:04 AM   #233
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I can't be the only one who secretly hopes Frank can sneak his bill into the bailout package. Would be sweet sweet justice.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #234
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Great news here. New bill introduced that would separate poker from the UIGEA and would regulate/tax the online poker industry. A link to the full bill (28 pages) is below.....

[S.3616] Poker Bill Introduced by U.S. Senator Robert Menendez (NJ-D) (09/30/08)
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 AM   #235
RainMaker
General Manager

Well today I'll trudge down to a Western Union to collect cash from some random person in the Phillippines. The government has really taken the fun out of sports gaming. Payouts and Deposits have become really tough these days and I hate that feeling I get in my stomach getting the cash hoping I don't pop up on some watchlist or something.

Any news on this from Washington?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 07:13 AM   #236
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

I have actually noticed the exact opposite with regards to deposits. All of my normal credit cards appear to be working again. Not sure what kind of money you are talking here. I play relatively small stakes (<$500) but if I were playing much higher I would probably go local and not mess with overseas.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #237
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Any news on this from Washington?

None. Given the economic crisis and host of other issues before Congress, addressing this issue remains unlikely, in my judgment.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:18 AM   #238
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
None. Given the economic crisis and host of other issues before Congress, addressing this issue remains unlikely, in my judgment.

Well, the original ban was slipped into a bill on port security, so if they want to, they can find a way.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #239
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Well, the original ban was slipped into a bill on port security, so if they want to, they can find a way.

I think this is where I have a difference of opinion with some in this thread. No one in Congress cares enough about this issue to make it his or her Big Thing. Sure, Barney Frank has offered a bill and talked about how it would be a good idea to deal with this, but that isn't the same thing.

Supporting gambling is empirically a political liability -- the number of people that would vote against you and raise a big stink because of your support for the measure far outweighs the number of folks that would support you because you supported or sponsored the proposition. Poker players are not a big voting demographic.

Political contributions are not a factor; money from gambling interests is politically toxic.

So, to face off against the political opposition, you have to believe very, very strongly in the issue to want to take the necessary hit. No one in Congress with the necessary clout believes in this issue strongly enough. Intellectually, Frank supports changing the law, but he would never risk a must-pass financial services bill by jamming an internet gambling bill in there, which is what it would take to get this done.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #240
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I have actually noticed the exact opposite with regards to deposits. All of my normal credit cards appear to be working again. Not sure what kind of money you are talking here. I play relatively small stakes (<$500) but if I were playing much higher I would probably go local and not mess with overseas.

I don't have issues funding my accounts, it's withdrawals that are a pain in the ass.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #241
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
I think this is where I have a difference of opinion with some in this thread. No one in Congress cares enough about this issue to make it his or her Big Thing. Sure, Barney Frank has offered a bill and talked about how it would be a good idea to deal with this, but that isn't the same thing.

Supporting gambling is empirically a political liability -- the number of people that would vote against you and raise a big stink because of your support for the measure far outweighs the number of folks that would support you because you supported or sponsored the proposition. Poker players are not a big voting demographic.

Political contributions are not a factor; money from gambling interests is politically toxic.

So, to face off against the political opposition, you have to believe very, very strongly in the issue to want to take the necessary hit. No one in Congress with the necessary clout believes in this issue strongly enough. Intellectually, Frank supports changing the law, but he would never risk a must-pass financial services bill by jamming an internet gambling bill in there, which is what it would take to get this done.

In a way it is, but not always. Some in government love bringing in jobs through casinos to their area. They also love using the lottery funds to pay for schools. I don't think the reluctance to legalize gambling is a consitutent issue as much as an issue with how strong the horse racing and Indian lobby is.

The sad thing about the issue is that legalizing it would bring in a ton of revenue to the government. All this whining about deficits and we are leaving billions on the table here. If the U.S. legalized it, regulated it so that players globally trusted it, there would be a ton of money brought into this country.

You're right though that it will never go through. It's a bill that won't help a Congrssman but could hurt. The religious organizations who want to dictate what everyone can do with their lives have a lot of power still.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #242
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
Quote:
I don't have issues funding my accounts, it's withdrawals that are a pain in the ass.

Thats swell if you dont plan on making money.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:59 AM   #243
chesapeake
College Starter

[quote=RainMaker;1992313]In a way it is, but not always. Some in government love bringing in jobs through casinos to their area. They also love using the lottery funds to pay for schools. I don't think the reluctance to legalize gambling is a consitutent issue as much as an issue with how strong the horse racing and Indian lobby is.[\quote]

You're mixing up lobbying prowess at the federal, state and local levels. From state to state and county to county, horses and tribes may have a strong presence. Nationally, horse racing is insignificant and the tribes are not well organized.

Horse racing is a perfect example of my point. They got the horse racing exception in the 2006 bill because the Senate Majority Whip at the time was Mitch McConnell, a senator from KY -- one of the few states where the horse lobby is genuinely powerful. There was no national effort in this regard whatsoever; rather, it was a powerful Senator looking out for parochial interests.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #244
RainMaker
General Manager

Wasn't Abramoff a big figure in gaming in Washington? There has to be some power there.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #245
chesapeake
College Starter

Quote:
Wasn't Abramoff a big figure in gaming in Washington? There has to be some power there.

There's money there, certainly. He represented 4 tribes with gaming interests. Abramoff was convicted, among other things, of defrauding them.

There is a trade group that represents their common interests - the National Indian Gaming Association. It is not particularly active. A tip for any Congress-watchers out there: you can tell how active a trade association is by seeing how often they update their legislative website. These folks are still pimping a bill McCain dropped in 2006.

I should also point out, blunt though this may be, gambling is not a significant national issue. Given the political problems with the issue, Congress is highly unlikely to take it up without a compelling need to do so. Lobbying has very little to do with it.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #246
RainMaker
General Manager

This is somewhat good news.

Rep Frank to Unveil Online Gambling Bill - NYTimes.com
Old 05-05-2009, 04:03 PM   #247
kcchief19
Pro Starter

The outlook now is better than it has been in a while. The thing is that this is an issue that isn't particular partisan -- case in point that the lobbying face of gaming is a Republican Alphonse D'amato and one of the staunchest supporters in Congress is flaming liberal Barney Frank.

It's the leadership that makes a difference. The GOP leadership was anti-gaming and the Democratic leadership is pro-gaming. That makes it much easier now to get a reversal through. Specter's switch actually plays a role in this too. If the Republicans could block legislation with no one person being blamed for it, they could block a lot of legislation. Now they need every Republican vote to stop cloture, and there are pro-gaming Republicans who don't want to be the deciding vote against it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but was the original ban passed as part of a banking reform bill? No real worries about sending Obama a gambling bill that casts him in a bad light -- just attach it to any other harmless piece of legislation.

The only real question is how much of a priority is it. Are the brick-and-mortar casinos now onboard? It sounds like if they can get a foot in the door by regulating games it would be a win for them. Plus, they were benefiting from the poker boom because people were playing online and then going to the casino -- the slowdown in online play has to be huring them.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #248
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Port security bill KC.
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #249
Galaril
Pro Starter

My only question back to the OP is "who the hell is RussiaBoss anyways? First post must be the head of an international gambling syndicate that also plays FOF
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:48 PM   #250
Galaxy
Coordinator

I always been curious as to what the % of its revenues that casinos actually make from poker. It can't be that high.