Ruiz will win 5 29.41%
Roy Jones will win 11 64.71%
Its a draw. 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-16-2003, 03:37 PM   #1
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

OT: Boxing... Ruiz vs Jones and other stuff

We usually have a boxing topic about once a month, so I thought I would put a poll up for the Ruiz vs. Jones fight which is coming up.

In other news, there were a couple of good bouts last night on HBO. Million dollar bust Ricardo Williams got beaten by a guy who took the fight on 2 days notice, and Tim Austin took his first loss as a professional after holding the bantamweight title for 5 1/2 years when he got TKO'd in the 8th round against Rafael Marquez.

HornedFrog Purple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 04:08 PM   #2
RoyalTen
n00b

I watched the Williams fight this morning, i thought it was a really great fight.
RoyalTen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 04:13 PM   #3
Bee
Pro Starter

Valenzuela was a monster compared to Williams. They said he was only around 8-10lbs heavier, but he looked like he was about 20 lbs heavier. I thought Williams looked about as good as I've seen him since he turned pro, but he never should have been put in against a guy that size at this point.

I fell asleep before the end of the Austin fight. I'm getting way too old.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
HornedFrog Purple
Hattrick Moderator

See thats one of those rules they changed about the weigh-in which causes these things to happen. It used to be 24 hours and now its like 36? Valenzuela just put back on his weight he normally fights at.

I will say that Williams probably had his best fight as a pro, but he just didnt have enough power to keep Valenzuela at bay. I hope he learns from this and dedicates himself to boxing because he does have some excellent natural ability.

Austin looked like a skeleton at 118, I dont think he can keep that weight down and fight effectively. He looks like a more natural 122-126 pound fighter. Marquez looked like a natural at that weight.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:38 PM   #5
bosshogg23
College Benchwarmer

I watched the Austin fight. I think Emanuel Steward nailed it on the head. Austin was punching off his heels and like Horned said, he is way too light at this point in his career.

A good point was brought up about Jones vs. Ruiz last night. Jones has a tendency to take alot of body shots....BUT he is in such suberb shape I think it will negate SOME of that. In the end, if Ruiz goes after Jones body, I think he will win late. If he doesnt, I have Jones by decison.
bosshogg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2003, 09:16 PM   #6
Blackadar
Retired

I think Ruiz might have a hard time catching Jones to hit him. Jones, when he wants to be, is wicked fast. I think he'll train for this fight like he hasn't trained since Montel Griffin 2. When he's on, Jones is the best I've ever seen. Amazing speed, power and defense. No one has come close to beating him - the one loss on his record ended up with the other guy KO'ed on the canvas.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 06:24 PM   #7
Hyde
n00b

I'm taking Ruiz in this fight. It is a good big man vs. a great little man. Ruiz is used to the heavy weight fighters and Jones has yet to be hit by a heavy weight. I like Jones and wish him the best, but I will take Ruiz in this fight.
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2003, 09:44 PM   #8
Fritz
Lethargic Hooligan

Location: hello kitty found my wallet at a big tent revival and returned it with all the cash missing
1 Corinthians 9, verse 26

26: I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:

26a: Boxing polls are asinine.