Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-28-2021, 12:49 AM   #21301
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
There was a neighbor lady when I was young that would always be the one to stop in with news of somebody dying. Whenever her van pulled in the driveway, the news would always be grim.

The 21st century version is now this woman's daughter. I think her Facebook page is almost all obituaries. She even posted news of my uncle's passing a month back. I'm pretty sure she never met my Uncle as he left the area before she was born.

so yesterday I was going to meet some dude and buy some HDMI cables from him. my gps directed me to pfeiffer road 71 instead of 275. That is odd I thought. When I came home I came south on 71 and 275 to Reed Hartman as normal. And then was shocked and block at Cornell by about 10 police cars that had closed the highway. I turned right and went to long way home. BUt now I knew...my GPS was right! I could see nothing. NO cars, nothing...but police cars don't simply block off the entire road for just a normal accident. Also there was a news cameraman on the corner. I tried to yell at him to see what was going on but he went into the bushes.

When I got home I googled the area. I found an article about an accident where a car hit a pedastrian. That explained that. The next day there was a new article about a teen from a nearby highschool was the victim. They had died at the hospital. She was 17 years old. She was not in the crosswalk when she was struck.

Merry Christmas lungs
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:01 AM   #21302
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Finding The Far Side Facebook Group has greatly enhanced my Facebook scrolling.

I finally figured out that joining groups is the only way to make FB worthwhile. I have joined multiple groups and enjoy posting/reading about music, sports, working out, grilling, etc. I try to stay away from just plain ol' FB timeline scrolling of peoples' posts. It's basically the next generation version of this type of place.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 04-28-2021 at 07:02 AM.
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #21303
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
cartwoman?

Cartman can only compare if he is like a raccoon to his living spaces. This lady (the original Cartwoman, not the daughter) is on her fourth house in the last 25 years that she has absolutely destroyed. This family once had quite a few properties but she has utterly destroyed every single house she lives in. She even bought a pre-fab home and parked it next to one of her unlivable houses, never set it on a foundation or anything. Raccoons broke in and destroyed that place too. The raccoons did a quicker job than she eventually would have. That trait passed onto one of her sons. I heard a story how his toilet quit working but he just continued to shit in it until he couldn’t anymore. Eventually his house was destroyed by fire.

Last edited by lungs : 04-28-2021 at 08:16 AM.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 08:31 AM   #21304
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
:glances side to side quickly and nervously:
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:41 AM   #21305
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
There was a neighbor lady when I was young that would always be the one to stop in with news of somebody dying. Whenever her van pulled in the driveway, the news would always be grim.

The 21st century version is now this woman's daughter. I think her Facebook page is almost all obituaries. She even posted news of my uncle's passing a month back. I'm pretty sure she never met my Uncle as he left the area before she was born.

I've got an FB friend, guy I went to HS with & have known basically forever. He absolutely lives to post obits every. single. day. I'm talking every published obit from a 2-3 county area around where we grew up.

He's like the p.r. guy for the grim reaper or something.

It's a morbid obsession afaic.

But that's been a thing where I grew up forever. An unnatural obsession (and unhealthy, IMO) with news of death. Far & away THE most popular thing on local radio for decades was the 3x a day reading of all the obituaries. In its heyday, that probably had a 50.0+ rating if ratings had been a thing, literally over half the households in the area were listening to at least the 450pm edition of that particular grim spectacle.

(I spent about 7 years doing that on-air, I can still recite an obit by the format we used for it)

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-28-2021 at 09:42 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #21306
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I finally figured out that joining groups is the only way to make FB worthwhile. I have joined multiple groups and enjoy posting/reading about music, sports, working out, grilling, etc. I try to stay away from just plain ol' FB timeline scrolling of peoples' posts. It's basically the next generation version of this type of place.

Interesting. That's pretty much opposite my experience with it.

The fewer random strangers I encounter on FB, the better I like it. I have enough trouble managing to tolerate strangers with one degree of separation (i.e. friends of friends). I even have an acronym for it: OPI (Other People's Idiots"
Old 04-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #21307
Ksyrup

I don't actually know most of my friends on FB. I mean, I know them in some sense, but many of them are old friends from HS. That was the original reason I even got on FB, was back in 2008/09 we were trying to plan a 20-year reunion and locating as many people as we can. So I don't really interact with many of them and haven't seen most of them but maybe once or twice in the past 30 years. I really don't care to hear what they have to say about things.

Some of the communities I've joined through groups are similar to this one - people I've know who follow certain bands and we've been online together from Usenet to message boards to FB. I've met a lot of them once or twice, but those are the people I interact with online on a daily basis and "know" pretty well. People I know in real life I don't interact with much online. There's no need. Other groups, I'm there mainly for information and I rarely interact with anyone, stupid, smart or in between.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 04-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #21308
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I don't actually know most of my friends on FB. I mean, I know them in some sense, but many of them are old friends from HS.

Best I can figure (cause I sure as hell ain't gonna try to do the actual counting math) my friends list would be around 50-50. And while there's no shortage of those from my past that I've snoozed/ignored/unfollowed, that's also the category where I'd find most of the ones I'd actually care to keep around and would refriend if there was a glitch that cleared all our lists back to zero.

My biggest FB regret? How many Pages I followed over the past decade or so. I REALLY wish there was a "People Only" setting for my feed, with the option to view posts from Pages separately.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:42 AM   #21309
Kodos
Resident Alien

I try to limit friending people who I don't actually know. Sometimes I get roped in with people from my wife's side of the family. But I only have 154 friends. Scrolling through, there's probably about 10-15% that I could remove and not really lose anything.

I almost never scroll on Facebook anymore. I just look at the Notifications tab and jump to posts by people I care about. It really works pretty well.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:13 AM   #21310
Ksyrup

Yep. I feel like on the timeline, I have no Independent George moments. My mom and MIL apparently stalk me because anything I post they like within minutes. So consequently, I stay far away from posting most things I might ordinarily post elsewhere. I keep that for message boards and groups.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #21311
Ksyrup

I'm also friends with a bunch of musicians and have gotten to discuss things with them and would never have that kind of access otherwise. So that's cool too. I basically treat FB like a better organized MySpace.
Old 04-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #21312
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
I try to limit friending people who I don't actually know.

It's a mixed bag for me.

Because of my weekly playlist stuff over the past ten years (crazy how long I been doing that shit) I get a lot of friend requests from musicians & such. A lot of those don't last long when they realize my recommendations aren't for sale AND that I'm not just a music guy.

Same token though, a couple of really cool friendships -- people I count as legit friends -- have developed through those requests.

Most of the rest, eh, they filter themselves out sooner or later.
Old 04-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #21313
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Mainly due to the nature of my former job, there are hundreds of people with whom I had relatively short (some as short as one month working in close physical and spiritual proximity at a camp,) but close/intense relationships. I mean, the first new ministry I was in charge of starting was in 1989, and I moved from that town in 1991. but in those two years, our small (max 6 person) leadership team met, prayed, ate, and served together every week. Plus we were all in college so we hung out together a ton as well. We've kept in touch through various channels since then, but the last time I've seen *any* of them face to face was my wedding...in 1998. It's an absolute joy, though, to keep up with their lives and to have an easy platform for longer private message chains that I would burn out on trying to type on a phone for a text message.

And then of course all the former high school kids. I care and want to know what's going on with, well, all of them. Just checked: my list is a little over 2700 people. I'm guessing there are maybe 20 that I've never met in person, most of those FOFCers. My favorite never-met-in-person one was a guy that one of my closest friends knew in college. My friend would tell me story after story about various escapades he had with Colin. Apparently, my friend also told Colin story after story about his escapades with me as well. It's been less than a year or so that Colin and I both responded to a message chain on our mutual friend's timeline and were both like "WHOA!!!!! WAIT A FREAKING MINUTE!!! DUDE, I KNOW YOUR NAME AND EVERYTHING YOU DID IN HIGH SCHOOL/COLLEGE!!!"
Old 04-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #21314
PilotMan
Head Coach

I am always amazed when I run into someone I am FB friends with, but they never interact with me there, yet they more less know the stuff I share. I'm thinking " I had no idea you paid any attention to me, because I have ni idea what goes on in your life".

The main feed is so inundated with advertisements now and commercial pages that it's hard to really see the genuine stuff that my friends share. I think of my 300 or so friends only about 30-40 ever interact. I could probably jettison the rest and never really miss a beat.

As for family, I know that my step mom stalks my family. She uses my Dad's account and interacts with all sorts of friends and family but never us. But then occasionally, references something we've shared. It has def inhibited my sharing.

I like meeting FOFCers when I get the chance. I've probably met 6 or 7 of you guys. Always down to expand the circle too if someone wishes. Some of you have become my very best friends. I'm much closer to distant friends, than I am to people in closer proximity.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #21315
cuervo72
Head Coach

I have 153 friends, mostly from HS, here/FOBL, or family. A few from college. I figure probably a dozen of them have muted me, another couple dozen never log on. I've joined a couple of groups recently which takes up most of my new notifications. Those are almost too much noise.
Old 04-28-2021, 01:25 PM   #21316
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Once I discovered you could use the Messenger functionality entirely separate from Facebook itself I rarely ever log on to Facebook proper.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #21317
cuervo72
Head Coach

Eh, messenger is one-on-one though. I want to avoid lengthy private conversations unless I really need them.
Old 04-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #21318
thesloppy
Pro Starter

It can do group chats. That's what I use it for the great majority of the time.

It doesn't really have that much more functionality than a text-chat, but crucially I have a couple groups with friends outside the US, and international text fees make a txt chain impossible. Likewise there are plenty of other apps that do the same thing or better, but that involves forcing everyone to install & setup some app, whereas most folks are already on Facebook.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 04-28-2021 at 04:25 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 04:25 PM   #21319
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

heh...i like to keep my real life and online life separate.
I have so many FB friends I've never even met really just friends thru friends and find each other mutually hilarious.

Other I have FB friends from every stage of my life I think

Steam I'm even worse. I share absolutely nothing about my personal life in steam and I friend someone SIMPLY because I enjoy playing one round of multiplayer vermintide or whatever with.

That way I have people to play with

I've become really good (online) friends with a few people that way.

Still it's online friends and not real life.

Sometimes I don't think I can handle the way people are in real life as opposed to online

Maybe it's just me
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:22 PM   #21320
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Note to self:

Watching a Rocky training montage on Youtube does NOT count as a workout.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:46 AM   #21321
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
so yesterday I was going to meet some dude and buy some HDMI cables from him. my gps directed me to pfeiffer road 71 instead of 275. That is odd I thought. When I came home I came south on 71 and 275 to Reed Hartman as normal. And then was shocked and block at Cornell by about 10 police cars that had closed the highway. I turned right and went to long way home. BUt now I knew...my GPS was right! I could see nothing. NO cars, nothing...but police cars don't simply block off the entire road for just a normal accident. Also there was a news cameraman on the corner. I tried to yell at him to see what was going on but he went into the bushes.

When I got home I googled the area. I found an article about an accident where a car hit a pedastrian. That explained that. The next day there was a new article about a teen from a nearby highschool was the victim. They had died at the hospital. She was 17 years old. She was not in the crosswalk when she was struck.

Merry Christmas lungs

I didn't know you were a Cincinnati boy
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:34 AM   #21322
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Note to self:

Watching a Rocky training montage on Youtube does NOT count as a workout.

Him catching the orange is still one of my random "most favorite movie moments of all time" moments.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:49 AM   #21323
molson
General Manager

It took some work, but my Facebook wall makes me happy. Almost zero weird right-wing stuff, and the rest of the politics and complaining is a small part of what I've evolved my wall into. I want to see what's going with my friends and families, I want to see posts from a wide range of groups whose posts makes me happy, and I want info about what's going on locally with businesses and charities. The latter is pretty huge - I don't even understood how that stuff got around, or how people did volunteer work, before Facebook. Some dog rescue group is having a happy hour event at a local brewery - awesome, I hear about it on Facebook, I see who's probably going, and that's my Friday afternoon activity.

I've never, even before Facebook, been someone who just calls people to chat. So keeping up with people has generally been about seeing them at parties every month or two, or maybe once a year or so when I went back home. But that type of thing starts to dwindle as you get older. So I really appreciate the ability just to see what people are up to - jobs, kids, pets, vacations, etc.

Last edited by molson : 04-29-2021 at 11:02 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:26 PM   #21324
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I just made some fantastic home-made air-fried pizza rolls.

Life is Good,
Old 04-29-2021, 06:40 PM   #21325
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I just made some fantastic home-made air-fried pizza rolls.

Life is Good,

recipe?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 07:33 PM   #21326
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
recipe?

I mostly eye-balled the ingredients but it's basically

1/2 pound bacon
1/2 pound sausage
mozerella cheese (at least 8 oz)
parmesian cheese
pizza sauce (I go light on this. If I want more sauce I can always just add a dip on the side)
oregano
garlic powder
minced garlic (I love garlic)
Taco seasoning packet
Egg roll wraps

Mix the above and place on the egg roll wraps

After wrapping (and sealing with a dab of water) I rub olive oil on them and air fry on 380 degrees. First for four minutes, flip 'em, then for another 4 minutes. That gave me a perfect amount of crispiness.

I made 16 rolls in this particular batch but that can vary based on how much filling I put on each roll. I generally aim for a "good spoonful"

Last edited by NobodyHere : 04-29-2021 at 07:43 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #21327
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I never really thought it would be possible for any chain to knock Burger King and Taco Bell off the local list of "worst labor force" gold & silver medals but by God I believe Arbys may have finally managed it.

I'm currently remembering why I hadn't been to ours since at least January.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:34 PM   #21328
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
I never really thought it would be possible for any chain to knock Burger King and Taco Bell off the local list of "worst labor force" gold & silver medals but by God I believe Arbys may have finally managed it.

I'm currently remembering why I hadn't been to ours since at least January.

I may have suppressed some childhood memory somewhere but I am pretty sure I have never had anything from Arby's in my life.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:46 PM   #21329
Izulde
Head Coach

I've never eaten at a good Arby's. I'm surprised they're still in business.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #21330
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

I've had several that were solidly in the middle of the pack, few that ever stood out as being bottom of the barrel bad.

This one has been on a steady decline. On a main street leading into downtown Athens, surrounded by some of the most notorious apartment complexes in the town, I think it's finally caught up to them. I don't remember the last time I was there that I didn't see blue lights within a couple minutes walk.

Then again, that kinda describes most of our places that are within eyeball range of a city bus stop.
Old 05-01-2021, 09:30 PM   #21331
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post

That's pretty ignorant.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:50 PM   #21332
Edward64
Head Coach

Back in the old days, 5 for $5 was pretty good with the horsey sauce! I like their curly fries also.

But I'm pretty sure those $1 roast beef sandwiches had less roast beef than the regular priced ones.

Last edited by Edward64 : 05-01-2021 at 10:50 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #21333
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

from a local (public) HS today

Quote:
The air conditioning is not working throughout the building. To protect the safety of our students and staff, we will be sending our students home. Students will be released at 9:55.

It's currently 69 degrees in Athens, with heavy rain and a "feels like" temp of 71.
Old 05-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #21334
Kodos
Resident Alien

You can't be too careful! There is also a freezing rain alert, just in case!
Old 05-03-2021, 02:26 PM   #21335
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
from a local (public) HS today

It's currently 69 degrees in Athens, with heavy rain and a "feels like" temp of 71.

Meh, the entire district cancelled school for a day a month ago because of the threat of severe storms... it didn't rain the entire day.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:32 PM   #21336
tarcone
Coordinator

Do me a favor and do not buy anything from Bob's Discount Furniture.

Capitalism sucks sometimes.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:29 PM   #21337
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post

Care to share?
Old 05-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #21338
tarcone
Coordinator

We bought a $3200 bedroom set. Mirror had a crack and they gave my wife shit about it even though they were wrong. Then they delivered the rest of our bed as the rest of it at in our bedroom in big boxes for 2 months. The legs were broke and we had to re-schedule. We also got night stands with wireless chargers and those do not work.

So I called the customer care about all of this and they refused to deal. They wanted to give me store gift cards. At this point I want nothing to do with this company.

Finally we got %100 dollars back and tech to cpme out about the 4 issues (Nick in the new mirror, doors that dont close correctly on the bed and the chargers that dont work). I just wanted $300. Now they have to deal with all the BS and fuck them.

That may not be all of it. But it is enough. And the indian speaking people were worth less. No help at all.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:30 PM   #21339
Edward64
Head Coach

This happened with my son also so guess its "standard".

Daughter is getting school off-campus apt. The freaking lease is for 12 months when schools damn well know many students won't be doing summer.

So they get an easy 2.5 months of rental.

Be frakking up front about it and stop playing games.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 05:51 PM   #21340
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

What did you expect from "Bob's Discount Furniture"
Old 05-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #21341
tarcone
Coordinator

Got my shingles vaccination yesterday, and wow,, I feel like crap. Nausea, head ache, body aches, hot, then cold. It is worse than the covid shot.

Old 05-06-2021, 06:23 PM   #21342
bob
College Starter

Quote:
What did you expect from "Bob's Discount Furniture"

My bad
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #21343
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Got my shingles vaccination yesterday, and wow,, I feel like crap. Nausea, head ache, body aches, hot, then cold. It is worse than the covid shot.

Still better than getting shingles.
Old 05-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #21344
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
My bad

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #21345
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Still better than getting shingles.

I got it a couple weeks ago. No problems.
Old 05-07-2021, 11:03 AM   #21346
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Teachers don't fool around in China!

Teacher Accused of Scalping Boy As Punishment for Talking in Class
Old 05-07-2021, 04:26 PM   #21347
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

Quote:

That teacher should be shot and buried.
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:16 AM   #21348
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

As a father, it’s quite enough when your oldest daughter needs her first strapless bra for a dress she’s wearing today. But it’s next level when Daddy has to go to Targer by himself to pick it up. This just ain’t right!
Old 05-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #21349
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
As a father, it’s quite enough when your oldest daughter needs her first strapless bra for a dress she’s wearing today. But it’s next level when Daddy has to go to Targer by himself to pick it up. This just ain’t right!

I suppose picking it up is better than picking it out
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #21350
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

Dam, and I thought my 9th grade history teacher hurling a hockey Puck at me for talking was bad.
BYU 14 is online now   Reply With Quote