Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-09-2021, 05:21 PM   #21351
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just because someone "angers twitter" DOES NOT MAKE IT NEWSWORTHY

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-09-2021 at 05:22 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:34 PM   #21352
Critch
lolzcat

While not wishing to condone the teacher's response, I bet that was one annoying kid.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:39 PM   #21353
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So I'm thinking of posting sign outside my door saying something like "Stop inside for a free beer, conversation and/or card game."

I'm pretty much someone who is starved for attention. I live in a condo who lives across the floor from the laundry room so "outsiders" wouldn't be like to see this.

Is this a good idea to socialize with my neighbors or a terrible one?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-09-2021 at 07:43 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #21354
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Maybe depends on what percentage of the population you find tolerable, much less likable.

If that's a low number, odds are you'd be making yourself unhappy long term 'cause you realized you lived in a bldg with at least one more asshole than you previously realized.

If that's a high number, then it's more of a coin toss IMO.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #21355
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Maybe depends on what percentage of the population you find tolerable, much less likable.

If that's a low number, odds are you'd be making yourself unhappy long term 'cause you realized you lived in a bldg with at least one more asshole than you previously realized.

If that's a high number, then it's more of a coin toss IMO.

I don't really know my neighors, and that's kind of the point.

Should I invite complete strangers into my condo?
Old 05-09-2021, 08:14 PM   #21356
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
So I'm thinking of posting sign outside my door saying something like "Stop inside for a free beer, conversation and/or card game."

I'm pretty much someone who is starved for attention. I live in a condo who lives across the floor from the laundry room so "outsiders" wouldn't be like to see this.

I'd think you were trying to make an MLM pitch of some kind.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:25 PM   #21357
21C
College Prospect

To be honest, it is going to come across a little needy or weird to your neighbors - a little like a Free Candy van. They are more likely to steer clear of you with a sign like that.

I live in a secure apartment building where nobody can go to any other floor except their own. I am lucky if I see someone from my floor once every three months (which is fine with me since I am so introverted) since my hours of entry/exit vary from theirs.

My favorite thing was an old retired guy from the building that I used to run into a couple of times a week in the elevator. Eventually I worked out that he used to go up and down the elevator several times a day to "get something from his car" as an excuse to run into his neighbors and strike up a conversation.

Not knowing what your building is like, if you did something like washing/vacuuming your car or something similar that you gave you a reason to run into your neighbors and start a dialogue.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:05 PM   #21358
PilotMan
Head Coach

I took my wife, kids and mom out to a fine dining restaurant today. I know my kids (all nearly adults now; the youngest just finished HS) had never been to one, and I'm pretty sure my Mom had never been to one since I was born. This particular restaurant is considered to be one of the best int he city, with the best view of the city as well. My wife and I will go there on our anniversary because they do a good job with her food needs and the chef is very flexible and willing to make what she can eat.

It sort of felt like my coming out party as an adult, being able to pay for such an extravagant meal, with my mom and wife as the special guests. There were no limits on food, we had wine, appetizers, salads, entree's, and dessert. The full 2.5+hr experience. My Mom sacrificed a ton for me to get where I am professionally, and I and my family owe her a lot. She's always been very willing to help out, she paid our mortgage for a year when I was in my late 30's and had to essentially start my career over again. My wife works tirelessly for our family, and with the boys getting older, and them all together right now, it made sense to treat this as something special. I got my reservations about 3 weeks ago for today.

I had budgeted about $500 for dinner. It wasn't quite that much after the tip, but our server, who was a working mom, looked out for us, deserved the nice one she got. Looking back at where I've been in life, this was a top of the mountain feeling and worth celebrating.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:43 AM   #21359
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I took my wife, kids and mom out to a fine dining restaurant today. I know my kids (all nearly adults now; the youngest just finished HS) had never been to one, and I'm pretty sure my Mom had never been to one since I was born. This particular restaurant is considered to be one of the best int he city, with the best view of the city as well. My wife and I will go there on our anniversary because they do a good job with her food needs and the chef is very flexible and willing to make what she can eat.

It sort of felt like my coming out party as an adult, being able to pay for such an extravagant meal, with my mom and wife as the special guests. There were no limits on food, we had wine, appetizers, salads, entree's, and dessert. The full 2.5+hr experience. My Mom sacrificed a ton for me to get where I am professionally, and I and my family owe her a lot. She's always been very willing to help out, she paid our mortgage for a year when I was in my late 30's and had to essentially start my career over again. My wife works tirelessly for our family, and with the boys getting older, and them all together right now, it made sense to treat this as something special. I got my reservations about 3 weeks ago for today.

I had budgeted about $500 for dinner. It wasn't quite that much after the tip, but our server, who was a working mom, looked out for us, deserved the nice one she got. Looking back at where I've been in life, this was a top of the mountain feeling and worth celebrating.
That's really nice, Pilotman. I will admit the only time I have been to a restaurant with that kind of price-tag is on someone else's dime.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:56 AM   #21360
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:

If you're willing to put yourself out there to this extent, I think just introducing yourself to your neighbors would be a good start. I wouldn't go in to another apartment without knowing anything about the resident, but I'd talk to somebody that introduced themselves, especially after the past year of semi-isolation.
Old 05-10-2021, 08:24 AM   #21361
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Was it somewhere in Cinci? If so where? One of my all time favorite restaurants is Sotto in the city. Amazing spot.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:26 AM   #21362
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
If you're willing to put yourself out there to this extent, I think just introducing yourself to your neighbors would be a good start. I wouldn't go in to another apartment without knowing anything about the resident, but I'd talk to somebody that introduced themselves, especially after the past year of semi-isolation.

I think it would be really weird.

Does your building have any kind of common room or outdoor area? Maybe host a neighbor meet and greet in one of those spaces.
Old 05-10-2021, 10:11 AM   #21363
molson
General Manager

Quote:

Does your neighborhood have a Facebook group?

I have a friend who sat outside on a Saturday with mimosas and beer tinkering with his bikes, and he invited anyone to come by that wanted to have their bike checked out (or to just have a beer). Some people did come by. I know he's met a bunch of people just hanging outside there and talking to peoples about their dogs or bikes when they walk by.

With our neighborhood facebook group, there's a lot of opportunities for that type of thing people put out there.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:14 PM   #21364
damnMikeBrown
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Was it somewhere in Cinci? If so where? One of my all time favorite restaurants is Sotto in the city. Amazing spot.

I’m betting Prima Vista
damnMikeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #21365
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I just saw that Chris Berman is 66 years old.

He's one of the few celebrities who surprised me by being significantly younger than I thought he was.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 07:00 PM   #21366
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I just saw that Chris Berman is 66 years old.

He's one of the few celebrities who surprised me by being significantly younger than I thought he was.

Man ditto, means he was 24 when he debuted on ESPN, even then he looked in his 30's
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:01 PM   #21367
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnMikeBrown View Post
I’m betting Prima Vista

Bingo

Like Steam?

Old 05-10-2021, 11:19 PM   #21368
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
That's really nice, Pilotman. I will admit the only time I have been to a restaurant with that kind of price-tag is on someone else's dime.

It's certainly new territory for me and something special I hope sticks with them. It meant a lot to me for sure.

Like Steam?

Old 05-11-2021, 08:19 AM   #21369
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
It's certainly new territory for me and something special I hope sticks with them. It meant a lot to me for sure.

We go to Nantucket every summer and about 6 years ago my wife and I decided we were going to do one super fancy dinner per trip, basically per year. My parents come with us so we leave the kids with them. A good friend is a sommelier who sells high end wines to restaurants in Nantucket so we always get some recommendations from him. Our bill usually runs about $600 for two of us. We always have a great meal and a great time.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:19 AM   #21370
GrantDawg

Quote:
We go to Nantucket every summer and about 6 years ago my wife and I decided we were going to do one super fancy dinner per trip, basically per year. My parents come with us so we leave the kids with them. A good friend is a sommelier who sells high end wines to restaurants in Nantucket so we always get some recommendations from him. Our bill usually runs about $600 for two of us. We always have a great meal and a great time.
That sounds awesome, but man does that bill make me itch.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:21 AM   #21371
GrantDawg

If I go out, and the bill even comes close to $100, I die a little inside.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #21372
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
That sounds awesome, but man does that bill make me itch.

It definitely requires wrapping you brain around the fact you are paying for the experience.

The thing that blows my mind is we always see families eating at these places and its an average Tuesday night for them. I guess it is all relative. There is so much money on that island, other than people working there we would be considered poor.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:34 AM   #21373
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
If I go out, and the bill even comes close to $100, I die a little inside.

Especially if both of your kids are extremely picky and likely to reject an entire meal without taking a bite.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #21374
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Especially if both of your kids are extremely picky and likely to reject an entire meal without taking a bite.

For real. We went out for just a general meal the other night. Ended up $40 total for the 3 of us. Daughter got an adult meal of chicken fingers and after a bite was like these fingers are shit. To be fair she was right and she ate 1, I really wanted to be like, this is why we get the kids meal.

At 11, my daughter has been to way more "fancy" restaurants than I went to in my first 30 years of life. It's easy to do more expensive meals when no one in the family drinks or does so seldomly. We can get out of $400 restaurants for less than 1/2 price just because we don't drink.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #21375
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Man, prices here in the Bay Area are so different. A normal meal out here for two at a generic restaurant is going to start at $50 - and that's just with two entrees, one appetizer, and a pair of non-alcoholic drinks. My band goes out for Sushi as a celebration after a show, and while we are 7 people, if it's under $400 we've had an off night for ordering food.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-11-2021 at 09:54 AM.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:58 AM   #21376
tarcone
Coordinator

There is a bear in the area today. I have to keep my eyes open and make sure it doesnt climb a fence and get to my students. Something new everyday.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #21377
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Man, prices here in the Bay Area are so different. A normal meal out here for two at a generic restaurant is going to start at $50 - and that's just with two entrees, one appetizer, and a pair of non-alcoholic drinks. My band goes out for Sushi as a celebration after a show, and while we are 7 people, if it's under $400 we've had an off night for ordering food.

For some comparison, that's probably in the low 40s around me ( assuming "generic" is anything from a local mid-priced joint to Applebees/similar chain)
Old 05-11-2021, 11:23 AM   #21378
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We rarely spend less than $100 when we go out, family of 4, but that normally involves my wife and I splitting a bottle of wine or each of us having a couple drinks.

Between eating out and door dash we spend at least 1K a month.
Old 05-11-2021, 03:20 PM   #21379
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
There is a bear in the area today. I have to keep my eyes open and make sure it doesnt climb a fence and get to my students. Something new everyday.

This could have two meanings.
Old 05-11-2021, 08:31 PM   #21380
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

We had our annual meeting with out financial planner today. Last year one of the goals we set was to start a fund for my wife to get a new car in a few years. She has a 2012 Toyota Highlander, at the time had 80K miles on it according to his notes. Checked the odometer a couple days ago, 83K miles.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:57 AM   #21381
PilotMan
Head Coach

Sounds like my work car. I figure my 2013 Avalon Hybrid will last at least a decade and by then it'll have about 115k miles on it.

Like Steam?

Old 05-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #21382
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
For some comparison, that's probably in the low 40s around me ( assuming "generic" is anything from a local mid-priced joint to Applebees/similar chain)

Yup, was thinking about Chili's specifically as a "generic restaurant" but applies for places like Applebees and other chain-ish restaurants.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #21383
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
We had our annual meeting with out financial planner today. Last year one of the goals we set was to start a fund for my wife to get a new car in a few years. She has a 2012 Toyota Highlander, at the time had 80K miles on it according to his notes. Checked the odometer a couple days ago, 83K miles.

I have been looking into getting a new-to-me car & I am amazed at how many miles some folks are able to put on their cars. Like 80K miles on 2019 cars. Where are those people going?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:28 PM   #21384
GrantDawg

I have 31k on my 2016 Sentra.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:29 AM   #21385
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I work an hour from home and on my 2013 Sonata, I put 180K miles on it in 7 years. That also included carting
my daughter to weekend softball tournaments all over the midwest and southeast during that time as well. When I sold it in 2019, I got next to nothing for it.

I was amazed at how little the car was worth even in very good condition and with a ton of features. Meanwhile, I bought Caitlin a 2010 Kia Forte in 2015 that had 118K miles for $7000. It became a hand-me-down to Mackenzie last year before we decided to upgrade. I was able to sell it to CarMax with 141K miles for $2400. I basically rented that car for 5 years at less than $1K a year and got more for it than my fully loaded Sonata. Crazy.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:33 AM   #21386
Ksyrup

My wife and daughter do not care that they fold towels with the tag on the outside. I am appalled. That's worse than putting toilet paper hanging under, IMO. I have to make sure every towel is perfectly folded with the tag inside before I move on to the next one.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-14-2021, 09:39 AM   #21387
miami_fan
Coordinator

I guess I am always on the road though it really does not feel like it. I bought a 2015 Chrysler 300 in October 2015. I traded it in in August 2020 with over 115K miles on it. For the first year, I worked an hour away from home so that put quite a few miles on. The last four years, I might go do consulting jobs where I left home a couple times a week every three to four months. The rest is just running around being husband and father.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #21388
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't know who needs to hear this, but if there is a car parked or a delivery truck on YOUR side of the street you don't have the right to go around it into oncoming traffic.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:15 AM   #21389
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
My wife and daughter do not care that they fold towels with the tag on the outside. I am appalled. That's worse than putting toilet paper hanging under, IMO. I have to make sure every towel is perfectly folded with the tag inside before I move on to the next one.

I knew a relationship was never going to make it when after I did laundry, put everything away, and hung up the towels, that she went behind me and refolded the hung towels because I hadn't done it right. That was a pretty big red flag I should have paid better attention to.

Like Steam?

Old 05-14-2021, 01:11 PM   #21390
Ksyrup

Quote:
I don't know who needs to hear this, but if there is a car parked or a delivery truck on YOUR side of the street you don't have the right to go around it into oncoming traffic.

YES. We have to drive through another neighborhood to get out to the streets, and down our street into the other neighborhood, they are building about 8 houses in a row. With that comes the dumpsters, various trucks parked on either side of the street, etc. I know it's not your fault, but if there is a dumpster on your side and both of us are about to pass each other, it's your responsibility to wait for me to pass. You don't get to force me to squeeze over just because you're inconvenienced. Next time it will be me, and I'll wait for you. Fuckers.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 05-14-2021 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #21391
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I have 31k on my 2016 Sentra.

I have 120k on my 2007 Camry Hybrid.

I remember back then, there were concerns on how long the hybrid battery would last.

Happy to say it's still going strong, getting about 35 mpg without thinking about it. May not seem as much now, several regular gas cars now get that much, but it was great back then.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:29 AM   #21392
rjolley
College Starter

Quote:
I knew a relationship was never going to make it when after I did laundry, put everything away, and hung up the towels, that she went behind me and refolded the hung towels because I hadn't done it right. That was a pretty big red flag I should have paid better attention to.

My rule has been: If the folding of towels and sheets are so important to you that it HAS to be done a certain way, you can do it.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:39 AM   #21393
21C
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
What if you cut off the tags?
Old 05-15-2021, 01:04 AM   #21394
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
What if you cut off the tags?

#problemsolver
Old 05-15-2021, 06:02 AM   #21395
Edward64
Head Coach

I don't have this problem but do know you can never cut off a tag completely (or evenly) enough.
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:27 AM   #21396
tarcone
Coordinator

Some one should do a "My In-Laws are crazier than your In-Laws" thread/ I would win

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #21397
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I have 120k on my 2007 Camry Hybrid.

I remember back then, there were concerns on how long the hybrid battery would last.

Happy to say it's still going strong, getting about 35 mpg without thinking about it. May not seem as much now, several regular gas cars now get that much, but it was great back then.
I still wish my wife's Camry was a hybrid. I think the next one will be.
Old 05-17-2021, 05:08 PM   #21398
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

So a few weeks ago, I'm driving my daughter home from school and we see a beaver laying in the road. We doubled back so we could confirm it's beaverdom, but when we got back it was gone.

Switch to today. Driving my daughter to school and we see a beaver a little ways away from the last spot, this time looking dead in the turn lane. I come back home to shower after I drop her off and it's still laying in the turn lane, so I do the respectful thing and drive over it without hitting it with my tires.

So 30 minutes later I'm on my way to work and sure enough, the beaver is gone. I assume 1 of 3 things occurred:

1) the beaver was alive and scampered off;
2) the beaver was dead and someone stopped on a heavily trafficked road to move a dead animal;
3) my daughter and I are having beaver hallucinations.

Too early for animal control which is why there's no 4th option, option 2 seems unlikely given the number of dead woodland creatures we see in the vicinity, and not sure about #1 since I don't think beavers play dead.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:12 PM   #21399
thesloppy
Pro Starter

You've got beaver fever!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:38 PM   #21400
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
A scavenger might have gotten it too
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote