The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:08 PM   #1452
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
The thing I like most about college football is how every game is vitally important to the teams. If we expand to an 8 team playoff, that extra loss isn't a big deal, don't worry, the big name teams with 2 losses will still get tossed into the playoffs.

Another great benefit to expanding the playoff would be ending the ridiculous "rivalry week" on the last week of the season. Frequently, these games would be meaningless, so Ohio State could rest their starters against Michigan looking ahead to the playoffs. Alabama could do the same against Auburn.

Bring it on!
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #1453
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
Another great benefit to expanding the playoff would be ending the ridiculous "rivalry week" on the last week of the season.

Those games are the best reason to play the season.

Stick with the worthless wasteland of the NFL and leave college football alone.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:31 AM   #1454
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Another great benefit to expanding the playoff would be ending the ridiculous "rivalry week" on the last week of the season. Frequently, these games would be meaningless, so Ohio State could rest their starters against Michigan looking ahead to the playoffs. Alabama could do the same against Auburn.

Bring it on!

This post almost reads as sarcasm, but I don't think it was. Rivalry week is one of the great things about college football.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:44 AM   #1455
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
The thing I like most about college football is how every game is vitally important to the teams. If we expand to an 8 team playoff, that extra loss isn't a big deal, don't worry, the big name teams with 2 losses will still get tossed into the playoffs.

That isn't true. SEC teams can absorb a loss because the conference is so pumped up because of the pre season rankings.

Want to make things better, get rid of the preseason rankings and start ranking after week 5 or so.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #1456
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Bring it on!

I think if you polled Ohio state fans which was more important, winning a national title or beating Michigan a not insignificant number would say beating Michigan, especially when both teams are top tier programs.
Old 06-09-2021, 08:53 AM   #1457
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

One small tweak I'd make: No warmup games against FCS doormats. If you are an FBS school and you want to be eligible for the playoff, you can play only other FBS schools. There are too few games to help us determine the best teams as it is. It's weird that we let teams throw away some of those games by turning them into preseason games.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:11 AM   #1458
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

They can certainly find lower level FBS teams to serve the same purpose, but I don't mind FCS games but only if you limit them to the 1st week of a team's season. I find it a bit strange that there's no preseason at all and hate seeing really bad/sloppy FB for no reason, so I don't mind an early warm-up. However, the pre-Thanksgiving rivalry speed-bump game against FCS is ridiculous.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #1459
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I find it a bit strange that there's no preseason at all and hate seeing really bad/sloppy FB for no reason, so I don't mind an early warm-up.

Pre-season needs to be overhauled. They have made significant strides with free agency via the transfer portal. Next challenge will be hammering out trade agreements and implementing a salary cap.
Old 06-09-2021, 01:08 PM   #1460
tarcone
Coordinator

I read an article which said 12 is the number.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #1461
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Say it ain't so, Bo.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:56 AM   #1462
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Horrific allegations coming out about Bo Schembechler this morning.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:11 AM   #1463
Kodos
Resident Alien

Wow. That's now 3 different Big Ten schools that knowingly allowed sexual predators to run free in the name of winning. Shameful.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:42 AM   #1464
BYU 14
Coordinator

Sports seems to draw a disproportionate amount of these sexual predators, or at least sports protects them more, allowing their victim lists to grow much larger than may be seen in other sectors.

The guy below was a legend in Utah Baseball circles and also a predator, which I know because he attempted to "proposition" me as a 15 year old kid in 1978. He used to eat at the restaurant I worked at and convinced me to stop by Derks field on my way home from work, ostensibly to interview for a job on the grounds keeping crew. I won't go into details, but I was fortunate to get out of the situation unharmed and untouched.

Angelo “Snake” Cerroni (1928-2018) - Find A Grave Memorial

Obviously though I never forgot the incident, but I never told anyone either, whether out of shame, fear, or the fact that I was a kid and didn't know if they would believe me, who knows. But, one thing that bothers me to this day. What if I had said something? Maybe I save someone else from being preyed upon? As you can see he was involved in Baseball as a coach and other capacities for most of his adult life and I am positive I was not an isolated case.

Partly because he practically admitted as much when he tried to prey on me. The fucker is gone now, but you can see form his obit how much he was adored in his local community, all the while hiding a demented dark side. I would see his name in the paper from time to time as an adult before I moved away form Utah and it would always conjure up a lot of rage, year after the fact.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:51 AM   #1465
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Wow. That's now 3 different Big Ten schools that knowingly allowed sexual predators to run free in the name of winning. Shameful.

At least 4 that I can think of, Penn St., MSU, UM, and OSU.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:18 PM   #1466
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
or at least sports protects them more

I would imagine that that's it. When the culture is Just Win Baby and If You Aren't Cheating, You Aren't Trying, then I think that it is easier to cover all wrongdoing up. This is just a really really fucked up part of that.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:19 PM   #1467
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Sports seems to draw a disproportionate amount of these sexual predators, or at least sports protects them more, allowing their victim lists to grow much larger than may be seen in other sectors.

The guy below was a legend in Utah Baseball circles and also a predator, which I know because he attempted to "proposition" me as a 15 year old kid in 1978. He used to eat at the restaurant I worked at and convinced me to stop by Derks field on my way home from work, ostensibly to interview for a job on the grounds keeping crew. I won't go into details, but I was fortunate to get out of the situation unharmed and untouched.

Obviously though I never forgot the incident, but I never told anyone either, whether out of shame, fear, or the fact that I was a kid and didn't know if they would believe me, who knows. But, one thing that bothers me to this day. What if I had said something? Maybe I save someone else from being preyed upon? As you can see he was involved in Baseball as a coach and other capacities for most of his adult life and I am positive I was not an isolated case.

Partly because he practically admitted as much when he tried to prey on me. The fucker is gone now, but you can see form his obit how much he was adored in his local community, all the while hiding a demented dark side. I would see his name in the paper from time to time as an adult before I moved away form Utah and it would always conjure up a lot of rage, year after the fact.

I'm really sorry you experienced that, man.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:31 PM   #1468
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
At least 4 that I can think of, Penn St., MSU, UM, and OSU.

Minnesota: Hold my beer.

Lawsuit: University concealed recruit's sexual abuse by 1980s Gophers hockey assistant - StarTribune.com
Old 06-10-2021, 12:39 PM   #1469
Ksyrup

This opens the door in a one-in-a-million year for multiple non-P5 teams to get an automatic bid. A couple of undefeated G6 teams and, say, a 9-4 Pac-12 champ and you could get 2 G6ers in. Interesting.

M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-10-2021, 02:27 PM   #1470
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
This opens the door in a one-in-a-million year for multiple non-P5 teams to get an automatic bid. A couple of undefeated G6 teams and, say, a 9-4 Pac-12 champ and you could get 2 G6ers in. Interesting.

Actually, if that proposed system had been in effect last year, #25 Oregon would not have gotten a bid, as seven other conference champions finished higher ranked than them. If they want to appease the Pac 12, they better include all ten conference champions to ensure they get a berth.

Last edited by Vegas Vic : 06-10-2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:02 PM   #1471
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I'm really sorry you experienced that, man.

Thanks, but to affirm, I really consider myself fortunate. It could have gone south, and I was able to avoid that. Definitely no lingering harm to myself personally, but that regret that I didn't say something to maybe help others avoid it.
Old 06-10-2021, 05:06 PM   #1472
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:

I actually like this a lot, but know you wonder about shenanigan's with the CFP committee maybe "over seeding" P5 teams, but honestly if you are ranked outside of the top 15 should you really get a shot anyway?
Old 06-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #1473
molson
General Manager

Quote:
I actually like this a lot, but know you wonder about shenanigan's with the CFP committee maybe "over seeding" P5 teams, but honestly if you are ranked outside of the top 15 should you really get a shot anyway?

Probably not, but teams outside the top 40 bitch about not getting an at-large NCAA basketball tournament spot.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #1474
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

*Waits for University Presidents to smack idea down for another decade*
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 01:05 AM   #1475
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
*Waits for University Presidents to smack idea down for another decade*

We can only hope.
Old 06-11-2021, 05:47 AM   #1476
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
One small tweak I'd make: No warmup games against FCS doormats. If you are an FBS school and you want to be eligible for the playoff, you can play only other FBS schools. There are too few games to help us determine the best teams as it is. It's weird that we let teams throw away some of those games by turning them into preseason games.

The problem with this is these FCS schools literally fund their program for the season with the payoff from those games. That rule would probably decimate a lot of teams.

Last edited by Lathum : 06-11-2021 at 05:47 AM.
Old 06-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #1477
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The problem with this is these FCS schools literally fund their program for the season with the payoff from those games. That rule would probably decimate a lot of teams.

Yeah, these games are a lifeline for FCS schools, so at best you limit it to 1 and dictate it must be played in the first 2 weeks of the season, to get rid of the Alabama vs Joe Dirt State Tech the week before they play Auburn, or whoever.
Old 06-11-2021, 09:54 AM   #1478
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Not to mention there are schools that have tried that and it just doesn't work. WVU (and others) tried to cut FCS programs out of their schedule at one point and with football budgets being set based on a certain number of home games it can become impossible to find the right match for a game.

I don't have a problem with the FCS games, but agree they should be limited to 1 per season and fall within the first 2-3 weeks of the start of the season.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 12:18 PM   #1479
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, these games are a lifeline for FCS schools, so at best you limit it to 1 and dictate it must be played in the first 2 weeks of the season, to get rid of the Alabama vs Joe Dirt State Tech the week before they play Auburn, or whoever.

So they just shuffle their open date around instead.

You'll no doubt be relieved to know that 2021 finds only Georgia, Kentucky, and Texas A&M with FCS opponents the week before their season ending rivalry game. In the ACC, only UNC has one.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:32 PM   #1480
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

The recommendation from the CFP's working group will be a 12-team model, sources tell @TheAthletic. Six highest-ranked conference champions + six at-large spots.
Nicole Auerbach (@NicoleAuerbach) June 10, 2021

I'm sure pollsters will just adjust by bumping up mediocre P5 schools. The token top 15 ranking stuff was just that - most of the time, it was to make them look like they got credit when, really, they never did since there's nothing on the line for ranking a 0-loss small school over a 4-loss SEC team. Instead of G6 teams falling just outside of the top 10 or whatever, now they'll fall just outside the top 12: "so close, if only they had scheduled better" (or whatever platitude).

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:47 PM   #1481
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Not on the same scale but my wife had a miniature version of this. In her small town, the local high school football coach and also taught 3rd grade. He was the type of "man" whose wife had his balls in a jar at home so he took it out on little kids in his day job and on high school kids on the football field. He bullied the kids, picking on them and calling them names, and also pitted them against each other so they wouldn't gang up on him or get him in trouble. My wife wrote some things on the chalkboard about him (drew him as a pig or something like that) and kindof got in trouble but not really as I think a number of the other teachers and school administrators knew what was up and, from that point on, he mostly stopped picking on her (though he did still like to go after her friends).

She went back to a high school reunion a few years ago and his name came up as they were talking about some of the teachers they had, at all levels in school (again, small town). The teacher had died and his name was on the local football field and someone mentioned how he was a jerk. Universally, around the room, there was agreement - everyone knew he was a jerk but no one could do or did anything about it. Like 30 years later, everyone remembered him and the trauma he caused but, even after the guy had died, no one had anything good to say about him. And he was in a position of power for decades.

And this was just a small town football coach. I can only imagine how much more power major college program coaches or politicians or CEOs wield and how much awful stuff they get away with.

SI

Old 06-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #1482
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
I'm sure pollsters will just adjust by bumping up mediocre P5 schools. The token top 15 ranking stuff was just that - most of the time, it was to make them look like they got credit when, really, they never did since there's nothing on the line for ranking a 0-loss small school over a 4-loss SEC team. Instead of G6 teams falling just outside of the top 10 or whatever, now they'll fall just outside the top 12: "so close, if only they had scheduled better" (or whatever platitude).
SI

The pollsters can do whatever they want to, as the polls are basically meaningless since the inception of the playoff and playoff committee. The committee so far hasn't done anything indicative of manipulating the ratings, and I doubt that will be the case moving forward.

Even if they did, last year there would have been two Group of Five automatic qualifiers (Cincinnati and Coastal Carolina), both conference champions who finished ranked way ahead of Pac Twelve champion Oregon.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:02 PM   #1483
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

All I'm saying is that the committee will find any excuse they can to keep out the G5 teams and we'll see a lot of them finishing 13-16 now that there's something on the line and they'll be falling over themselves to explain how a 4-loss SEC team and a 3-loss Big 10 team are more deserving.

SI

Old 06-12-2021, 10:06 PM   #1484
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
All I'm saying is that the committee will find any excuse they can to keep out the G5 teams and we'll see a lot of them finishing 13-16 now that there's something on the line and they'll be falling over themselves to explain how a 4-loss SEC team and a 3-loss Big 10 team are more deserving.
SI

I guess we can agree to disagree on this, but there has been nothing to indicate this will happen. Four of the playoff committee members are from non-Power Five schools, and the ones that are from Power Five schools recuse themselves whenever their particular school is being discussed. The integrity has been impeccable so far.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #1485
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I was just watching ESPN for a few minutes, and their "college football expert" Heather Dinish (sp?) predicted that the Big 12 would have two teams in the college football playoff this year, Iowa State and Oklahoma.

Without arguing the merit of that prediction, can someone tell me what this woman's credentials are, and how she rose to prominence to become a "college football expert"?
Old 06-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #1486
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

LMGTFY - Let Me Google That For You
Old 06-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #1487
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar v2 View Post

Thanks for offering to do that, as I'm really pressed for time today and don't have the time to look into it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're able to find out.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:40 PM   #1488
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Thanks for offering to do that, as I'm really pressed for time today and don't have the time to look into it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you're able to find out.

Bullshit. You could've found the answer (as I did) in less time than it took you to type either of your posts about her, but that would've prevented you from insinuating that a woman shouldn't be involved in sports journalism.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #1489
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Old 06-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #1490
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Bullshit. You could've found the answer (as I did) in less time than it took you to type either of your posts about her, but that would've prevented you from insinuating that a woman shouldn't be involved in sports journalism.

Your assertion is unfounded. My question was about this specific woman. Some of the most talented analysts in the business are women; I see Suzy Kolber, Doris Burke and Rachel Nichols several times per week on ESPN. They're all outstanding. There are also plenty of male analysts that have no business being on television. How the hell did Skip Bayless ever get a prominent position as a sports analyst?

And yes, I know how to use "Google". My comment about being pressed for time was tongue in cheek. I read Dinich's bio and some other stuff. Apparently, she likes the ACC and thinks the SEC is vastly overrated. If anyone knows how she got appointed as ESPN's college football expert, I'd be interested to hear about it.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:40 PM   #1491
Ksyrup

She used to cover the ACC before getting promoted to all of CFB, I guess? I don't watch much ESPN coverage anymore and haven't been to ESPN.com in years, but I remember her covering FSU stuff as part of ACC coverage.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:50 PM   #1492
tarcone
Coordinator

I predict the end of the world if Iowa and Iowa State both make the playoff. (It could happen this year).

Old 06-30-2021, 03:47 PM   #1493
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

https://twitter.com/SportsLawLust/st...894581257?s=19

"🚨BREAKING:

Per @TheAthletic, the D1 Board of Directors has voted to approve the NCAA’s proposed NIL policy.

Now, college athletes in each of the 50 states will be able to monetize their names, images and likenesses starting tomorrow on July 1st.

It is the dawn of the NIL era! https://t.co/a2ApMd3bcV"

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2021, 04:22 PM   #1494
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Per @TheAthletic, the D1 Board of Directors has voted to approve the NCAA’s proposed NIL policy.

The NCAA needed some positive press. It hadn't been a good week for them, getting smacked down by the Supreme Court 9-0, then screwing NC State's baseball team out of the College World Series via a cowardly tweet made at 2:00 AM when everyone was asleep.
Old 06-30-2021, 05:11 PM   #1495
tarcone
Coordinator

NCAA Football 2022 here we come!

Old 06-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #1496
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So what's locker room chemistry going to be like when you have players with big money endorsements playing with guys that get zilch?

I've always been a fan of players getting private dollars but this is going to be a headache for some coaches.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 07-01-2021 at 07:51 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #1497
tarcone
Coordinator

And the inflated egos. Ooof

Old 06-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #1498
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
So what's locker room chemistry going to be like when you have players with big money endorsements playing with guys get zilch?

I've always been a fan of players getting private dollars but this is going to be a headache for some coaches.

How is it in any professional locker room?
Old 07-01-2021, 07:03 AM   #1499
Ksyrup

Can't wait for the first rash of college athlete endorsements that get canceled due to DUIs, rapes, thefts, etc. Should be interesting to watch this all play out.
Old 07-01-2021, 07:15 AM   #1500
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

I am fascinated by this.

The "shut up and play; you kids are lucky to be here; if you say or do anything deemed wrong, they should take away your scholarship and kill your mother" mindset is very strong among a lot of CFB fans.

How will those people react when that 19 year old kid is making more money than they are?

Totally totally fascinated.