Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-27-2021, 01:33 PM   #301
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
haha, I was just coming here to post about it. My 7 year old girls softball team know to just step on first base

The funny thing is, in softball, the rule is different (although it may not be universally accepted in every league/division) - if a runner between home and first retreats "to avoid a tag," they are automatically out. We've specifically instructed girls to stop between home and first, but retreat (to avoid a DP between 1B and 2B, or to allow another runner to advance) between other bases.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:06 PM   #302
PilotMan
Head Coach

The funny thing is, all he had to do was beat the runner to first. Even after the run scores, if he beats the runner to first, the run doesn't count. I thought the runner was out of the baseline after the score anyway, but that would've scored the run I think. Still, just go step on the base.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 07:57 PM   #303
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The more you think about it, the more mistakes the first baseman made. It is impressive. You have to work really hard to let that run score there.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 08:05 PM   #304
tarcone
Coordinator

That was the craziest play I have seen in awhile. Imagine if that player wasnt there to get the bad throw at 2nd.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:19 PM   #305
Atocep
Coordinator

Atlanta Braves star Marcell Ozuna arrested, charged with aggravated assault strangulation and misdemeanor battery

Marcell Ozuna is probably done for quite a while.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #306
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Braves have the worst luck with anybody they pay big money to.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 09:52 AM   #307
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Braves have the worst luck with anybody they pay big money to.

Not at the Mets level...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 10:00 AM   #308
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not at the Mets level...
Yes. But they have much less money to spend.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:56 PM   #309
JPhillips
General Manager

Is this an example of enforcing or violating the unwritten rules?

Old 05-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #310
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That was, best I've been able to find, an odd incident. Found a quote from Mike Hargrove that indicated he didn't know of any history the two had so it seems as though it was in response to the oddly timed throw behind (Johnson was on early in long relief in a 1-0 game, Randle had a single at that point but no homers had been hit or anything).

If that's the case then it would be more enforcement than violation, Johnson had no apparent reason to throw behind Randle in the first place.

That was a pretty weird time though. You've got Randle who wasn't exactly the most stable fella (three years later he would be criminally charged for beating his manager Frank Lucchesi so badly that the manager required plastic surgery).

And just five days after that, the infamous beer night occurred in Cleveland ... not entirely coincidentally against Randle & the Rangers.

https://www.ohiomagazine.com/ohio-li...cle/brawl-game
Old 05-30-2021, 02:49 PM   #311
miami_fan
Coordinator

Looks like a tribute to the history of the game to me.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 03:11 PM   #312
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That was, best I've been able to find, an odd incident. Found a quote from Mike Hargrove that indicated he didn't know of any history the two had so it seems as though it was in response to the oddly timed throw behind (Johnson was on early in long relief in a 1-0 game, Randle had a single at that point but no homers had been hit or anything).

If that's the case then it would be more enforcement than violation, Johnson had no apparent reason to throw behind Randle in the first place.

That was a pretty weird time though. You've got Randle who wasn't exactly the most stable fella (three years later he would be criminally charged for beating his manager Frank Lucchesi so badly that the manager required plastic surgery).

And just five days after that, the infamous beer night occurred in Cleveland ... not entirely coincidentally against Randle & the Rangers.

It was specifically because of this incident followed by Billy Martin saying he wasn't worried about revenge the following week in Cleveland because they didn't have any fans. Which led to 10 cent beer night. Which led to a lot of drunk Indians fans.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 05-30-2021, 06:09 PM   #313
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
It was specifically because of this incident followed by Billy Martin saying he wasn't worried about revenge the following week in Cleveland because they didn't have any fans. Which led to 10 cent beer night. Which led to a lot of drunk Indians fans.

They actually did 3 cheap beer nights that season, though after this one they made adjustments (including limiting the number of purchases per customer by using drink tickets)

Tough times, they averaged only 7,000 per home game aside from the season opener.
Old 05-30-2021, 08:16 PM   #314
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

This is great. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:04 PM   #315
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder if we will see another 300 game winner. Max Scherzer has probably been the best and most consistent pitcher over the last 10 years. He currently has 179 wins and 2879 strikeouts. He is now 36 years old.

Jacob DeGrom is 32 years old with 73 wins and 1433 strikeouts. Ive never seen a pitcher with worst luck on his team scoring him runs when he pitches. Its pretty pathetic that his winning percentage is only .579.

Perhaps they need to change the win rule for modern times or just retire the stat as it has become pretty unimportant.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 06:42 PM   #316
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
I wonder if we will see another 300 game winner. Max Scherzer has probably been the best and most consistent pitcher over the last 10 years. He currently has 179 wins and 2879 strikeouts. He is now 36 years old.

Jacob DeGrom is 32 years old with 73 wins and 1433 strikeouts. Ive never seen a pitcher with worst luck on his team scoring him runs when he pitches. Its pretty pathetic that his winning percentage is only .579.

Perhaps they need to change the win rule for modern times or just retire the stat as it has become pretty unimportant.

Or 300 Ks in a season. More rare than you think.

Who out there would have a chance if they let him pitch longer then 6 innings

Old 05-31-2021, 09:50 PM   #317
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

With as much as players strike out the list of pitchers who would hit 300ks if they pitched deeper is pretty big. Just off the top of my head DeGrom, Max, Giolitto, Glassnow, Cole, Bauer, Buehler, Castillo, Burnes, Darvish, Snell, Anderson, and likely others I’m not thinking of.
Old 05-31-2021, 10:33 PM   #318
Swaggs
Coordinator

Cole and Verlander had 300 in 2019 and Cole and Scherzer have a decent shot at it this year.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:28 PM   #319
Ghost Econ
College Prospect

The season doesn't really feel like it's started until Stephen Strasburg leaves a start against the Braves early.
Ghost Econ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:36 AM   #320
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post

Wins as a baseball pitcher stat never, IMO, made any sense.
Old 06-02-2021, 10:06 AM   #321
tarcone
Coordinator

Batting ends the great start by Jack Flaherty. Hurt his side swinging and looks to be out for quite awhile.

Maybe I like the DH

Old 06-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #322
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Maybe I like the DH

One of my "does this guy really deserve a man card?" traits is that I don't actually have a strong opinion about the DH.
Old 06-02-2021, 11:12 AM   #323
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
One of my "does this guy really deserve a man card?" traits is that I don't actually have a strong opinion about the DH.

I'm with you. I can see both sides of the argument. I like the strategy involved with NL games, but watching pitchers hit can be rough. I was watching the Mets game the other night. The opposing pitcher was batting. He was 1-71 in his career, .014. You read that right. He was facing DeGrom. The pitcher actually made contact and grounded out. DeGrom looked pissed about it.
Old 06-02-2021, 02:58 PM   #324
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I understand rationally that the DH is better for the game, and overall would provide more entertainment than watching crappy hitters at the plate.

I still irrationally hate the DH with every fiber of my being.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #325
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I understand rationally that the DH is better for the game, and overall would provide more entertainment than watching crappy hitters at the plate.

I still irrationally hate the DH with every fiber of my being.

Preach.....

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:04 AM   #326
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Wins as a baseball pitcher stat never, IMO, made any sense.

It made sense when the majority of games were either completed or almost completed by the starter. They kinda owned the game's outcome because it was just them (and then later, a closer). Now, whether they were ever 100% responsible for winning or losing is another matter, but you got what you got because you were basically the only pitcher in the game.

There are a bunch of things that never made sense. Like, unearned runs as a concept makes sense but when a pitcher commits an error, why are the runs still unearned? They did it to themselves! The idea is that the pitcher should get some acknowledgement that his fielders contributed to runs scoring. But if he's the fielder, he deserves full blame.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #327
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
It made sense when the majority of games were either completed or almost completed by the starter. They kinda owned the game's outcome because it was just them (and then later, a closer). Now, whether they were ever 100% responsible for winning or losing is another matter, but you got what you got because you were basically the only pitcher in the game.

There are a bunch of things that never made sense. Like, unearned runs as a concept makes sense but when a pitcher commits an error, why are the runs still unearned? They did it to themselves! The idea is that the pitcher should get some acknowledgement that his fielders contributed to runs scoring. But if he's the fielder, he deserves full blame.

In my latest game of MLB The Show, I got a no-hitter, but a guy reached first thanks to a fielding error by the pitcher. It's still a no-hitter. But it feels just a touch less impressive than a no-hitter where someone else made the error.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:03 AM   #328
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

DeGrom for MVP
Old 06-06-2021, 07:48 AM   #329
MrBug708
Head Coach

DeGrom to a team who deserves him!
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 08:29 AM   #330
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
DeGrom to a team who deserves him!

I actually feel bad for him sometimes.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:35 PM   #331
Ksyrup

This is college, but does anyone know the technical rule that allowed this to be called a WP and runners given a base? I thought the umpire was part of the playing field and you take the ball as it lands. I don't know why you would treat this any differently than if the ball hit the ump's shin guard and landed directly under the catcher. It would have been a WP if the ump wasn't there, but as it stands, it's the batting team's bad luck.

Just odd.

Arizona State scores wild run in NCAA college baseball regional game

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-07-2021 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 12:53 PM   #332
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
This is college, but does anyone know the technical rule that allowed this to be called a WP and runners given a base? I thought the umpire was part of the playing field and you take the ball as it lands. I don't know why you would treat this any differently than if the ball hit the ump's shin guard and landed directly under the catcher. It would have been a WP if the ump wasn't there, but as it stands, it's the batting team's bad luck.

Just odd.

Arizona State scores wild run in NCAA college baseball regional game

9.01C I believe: Each umpire has authority to rule on any point not specifically covered in these rules.

It's an umpire's discretion play. Since it was obviously going to be a wild pitch he ruled wild pitch, dead ball, and allowed the baserunners to advance 1 base. IMO it's 100% the correct call.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:46 PM   #333
Ksyrup

I disagree. Only because virtually any ball that hits the umpire should also be ruled a wild pitch under the same rationale because it has already passed beyond the catcher and is only not a wild pitch because it hit the ump and landed close enough to the catcher that no runner was allowed to advance. It would be perfectly sensible to rule this in the same way, since had the ball simply hit his chest, it would have fallen straight to the ground and no runner would have advanced.

His pocket only prevented the catcher from immediately retrieving the ball; it did not affect where the ball went. But his ruling suggests that it is proper to consider where the ball would have gone had he not been there at all. And like I said above, that's never how any other wild pitch/passed ball is judged when it deflects off the umpire.

I understand why he ruled it that way considering the unusual circumstances, but it makes no sense in the context of nearly any other play where the ump is in the way.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-07-2021 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 02:32 PM   #334
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
In the MLB they have a rule specifically stating if the ball goes into a catcher/umps mask/equipment, that the runners get a base.

Quote:
Pitched Ball Disappears into Umpire’s Jacket Pocket

The Dodgers and Cubs played at Wrigley on April 25, 2019. Wilson Contreras led off the bottom of the ninth. Contreras hit a foul tip on Kenley Jansen’s first pitch. The ball ricocheted off Dodgers’ catcher Rocky Gale’s shoulder and squirreled into the jacket pocket of plate umpire Lance Barksdale.

You can view the unusual scenario by going to the link below.

Umpire nabs foul ball in pocket | 04/25/2019 | MLB.com

Rich Marazzi Ruleball Comment
Because this was a foul ball, it is treated like any other foul ball. If any runners were on base, there would be no advance.

If a pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia
and remains out of play, the runners advance one base.

If a pitched ball is “Strike Three” or “Ball Four” and lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia, and remains out of the play, the batter is awarded first base and runners advance one base. See rule 5.06 (c) (7)
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:14 PM   #335
Atocep
Coordinator

The story of Hayden Shenefield signing with the Reds because of a AMA Kyle Boddy did on Reddit is amazing.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:36 PM   #336
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The story of Hayden Shenefield signing with the Reds because of a AMA Kyle Boddy did on Reddit is amazing.

Please explain. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around this sentence.

Old 06-07-2021, 04:46 PM   #337
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Please explain. Im having a hard time wrapping my head around this sentence.

Kyle Boddy is the owner of Driveline and is also Director of Pitching for the Reds. A couple of weeks ago Boddy was doing a AMA on reddit and Hayden Shenefield, an indy ball pitcher, asked for tips on being seen. Boddy answered, and then Shenefield replied with his metrics and stats in indy ball. Boddy asked him to send him some video verifying his pitch metrics (spin rate, velo, ect) and within 2 days the Reds had purchased his contract.
Old 06-07-2021, 04:55 PM   #338
tarcone
Coordinator

Thanks, makes more sense now. Brain fart on me.

Old 06-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #339
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

That's amazing.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 08:43 PM   #340
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
In the MLB they have a rule specifically stating if the ball goes into a catcher/umps mask/equipment, that the runners get a base.

And that's not what happened here. It wasn't a batted ball nor was it strike 3 or ball 4. It was basically scored a wild pitch as if the umpire didn't exist and the ball went to the backstop.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-07-2021 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:47 PM   #341
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
It is the second part of what I posted.

If a pitched ball lodges in the umpire’s or catcher’s mask or paraphernalia
and remains out of play, the runners advance one base.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 04:17 PM   #342
miami_fan
Coordinator

'Sorry you had to see that' -- How baserunning has become an embarrassing problem in Major League Baseball

Not to be another one of the what's wrong with baseball crowd but I am glad this article confirmed something that I have noticed the past couple of years. I really really love watching players be aggressive on the base paths and force the defense to execute well enough to get the outs.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 11:13 AM   #343
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
'Sorry you had to see that' -- How baserunning has become an embarrassing problem in Major League Baseball

Not to be another one of the what's wrong with baseball crowd but I am glad this article confirmed something that I have noticed the past couple of years. I really really love watching players be aggressive on the base paths and force the defense to execute well enough to get the outs.

This starts at the lowest levels and it's just not taught anymore. Travel ball is where kids get most of their coaching as they grow up and very, very few travel ball coaches care about it. They want to put the the best team they can on the field and let talent take over. Offseason work is hitting, throwing, pitching, fielding with almost no time spent on baserunning.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #344
Ksyrup

There's also less need for baserunning skills as the single becomes an afterthought.
Old 06-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #345
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Wow, a right wing group having a royal sad that the ASG was moved out of GA due to their voting law filed a lawsuit against MLB/MLBPA, and wanted an injunction to IMMEDIATELY move the game back had a hearing on the injunction today.

My respect for the judge not repeating the zero points line from Billy Madison is high. Let's just say, the arguments heard in the discussion were not the lawyerly profession's greatest moment.

https://twitter.com/questauthority/s...64208825139203
Old 06-12-2021, 03:44 PM   #346
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

He was part of the Kraken team! He must be good

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:40 PM   #347
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

He had his first appearance for Daytona today and threw 3.1 shutout innings and struck out 4.
Old 06-14-2021, 04:46 PM   #348
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
After 10 consecutive weeks when MLB average four-seam spin rate hovered between 2,306 rpms to 2,329 rpms, last week it suddenly dropped 45 rpms to a season-low 2,269. Batting average against four-seamers is up 11 points in June. Slugging against the pitch is up 18 points this month.

Quote:
Among noticeable drops in fastball spin rate since June 3 are those of Bauer (-210), Burnes (-163), Sims (-117), Cole (-92), Chapman (-72), Peralta (-69) and Bieber (-50).

MLB pitch doctoring: What to expect from sticky stuff enforcement - Sports Illustrated

I've watched Bauer's last 2 starts and they definitely look more like the pre-2018 Bauer. He's a good pitcher, but not consistent enough with his location to be a true ace.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:58 PM   #349
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Baseball does recognize the need for grip enhancement. It is working to develop a substance to rub on to baseballs to give it a tackier feel. Since the 1950s MLB has used Lena Blackbourne’s Rubbing Mud to take the sheen off baseballs, but officials want a substance that will impart the tackier feel. That substance could be ready as soon as next season, according to MLB sources. With one official grip aid, MLB would have an easier time monitoring illegal substances.

What a sham.
Old 06-15-2021, 05:07 PM   #350
Atocep
Coordinator

Tyler Glasnow partially tore his UCL because MLB told him he isn't allowed to cheat anymore.