Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #1701
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
It's not that I withhold the thank you, but if somebody's been so unpleasant or rude so as to bring me down/make me irritated, I don't even think of thanking them. I just want to escape as soon as possible.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #1702
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

I had a crazy "small world" incident today while listening to the audio book of Blind Descent. For a small bit of back story, before I became so broken, I used to be an avid caver. I've done a lot of caving in WV and the TAG regions, as well as been involved in surveys (cave mapping), cave digging/exploration of virgin cave, and rescue (both instruction and taking classes). As such, I've met a lot of people in the caving community, one of whom is Bill Stone. I do not like Bill Stone. I thought he was a world class d-bag. Unfortunately, a book about finding the deepest caves can't be complete without talking about Stone, and I was unsure I'd want to read a book that glorified anything about him. Sure enough, the first part is entitled "Stone" and is all about Stone's introduction to caving and his exploration in Mexico.

But, now the crazy part. The book mentioned that he met a woman named Pat while in college who also happened to be really into the outdoors. She was a physical therapy student, he was studying engineering. At the time, I didn't think too much of it.

Then the book says that he married Pat, and discusses some of the craziness they did (including climbing Mt. McKinley!). At around this point, I remember that I had a physical therapist in Rockville (actually one of my best physical therapists) named Pat Stone. And I start to wonder how many physical therapist Pat Stones there are in the world. Awhile later, I recalled that Bill lived in Maryland at least for a time, and I started thinking that my former physical therapist really was his ex-wife.

Sure enough, at a point in the book, the author said that Pat Stone joined a physical therapy group at Shady Grove, doing orthopaedic rehab and had been there for 17 years...yep, she's my old physical therapist. I figured that this book would bring up people I knew in my past life and people I had heard of, but never in a million years did I think that THIS would be a connection made in the book. Also, I never knew that my old PT was a (former?) caver and climber, I wish I had known that while I was under her care, we'd have had even more to talk about...

Crazy, eh?

/tk
Old 09-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #1703
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I just saw a spider climb across the inside of the windshield and then hide. I probably need to burn my car now
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 05:35 PM   #1704
claphamsa
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I just saw a spider climb across the inside of the windshield and then hide. I probably need to burn my car now
with great power comes great responsibility....

GIT R DUN!!!
claphamsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:31 PM   #1705
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This may have been mentioned in here already, I didn't look back.

Not sure if this is only the Western PA area...but I am fucking sick of stinkbugs! Yeah, they are harmless, don't really do anything, but they are fucking everywhere. Everyday after work I have 6-8 on my car. I get home, they are clinging to the outside of the screen. The kids and I flick them, watch them go flying. But where in the hell are they all coming from!?!?!

Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:44 PM   #1706
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I had a crazy "small world" incident today while listening to the audio book of Blind Descent. For a small bit of back story, before I became so broken, I used to be an avid caver. I've done a lot of caving in WV and the TAG regions, as well as been involved in surveys (cave mapping), cave digging/exploration of virgin cave, and rescue (both instruction and taking classes). As such, I've met a lot of people in the caving community, one of whom is Bill Stone. I do not like Bill Stone. I thought he was a world class d-bag. Unfortunately, a book about finding the deepest caves can't be complete without talking about Stone, and I was unsure I'd want to read a book that glorified anything about him. Sure enough, the first part is entitled "Stone" and is all about Stone's introduction to caving and his exploration in Mexico.

But, now the crazy part. The book mentioned that he met a woman named Pat while in college who also happened to be really into the outdoors. She was a physical therapy student, he was studying engineering. At the time, I didn't think too much of it.

Then the book says that he married Pat, and discusses some of the craziness they did (including climbing Mt. McKinley!). At around this point, I remember that I had a physical therapist in Rockville (actually one of my best physical therapists) named Pat Stone. And I start to wonder how many physical therapist Pat Stones there are in the world. Awhile later, I recalled that Bill lived in Maryland at least for a time, and I started thinking that my former physical therapist really was his ex-wife.

Sure enough, at a point in the book, the author said that Pat Stone joined a physical therapy group at Shady Grove, doing orthopaedic rehab and had been there for 17 years...yep, she's my old physical therapist. I figured that this book would bring up people I knew in my past life and people I had heard of, but never in a million years did I think that THIS would be a connection made in the book. Also, I never knew that my old PT was a (former?) caver and climber, I wish I had known that while I was under her care, we'd have had even more to talk about...

Crazy, eh?

/tk
that's funny
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:49 PM   #1707
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Life sucks
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #1708
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

At times, yes. But then at others it's glorious.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #1709
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

For you maybe, but mine just sucks.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:44 PM   #1710
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Now she is sending me text messages and Google Chat messages saying "skeet skeet."
Old 09-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #1711
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post
This may have been mentioned in here already, I didn't look back.

Not sure if this is only the Western PA area...but I am fucking sick of stinkbugs! Yeah, they are harmless, don't really do anything, but they are fucking everywhere. Everyday after work I have 6-8 on my car. I get home, they are clinging to the outside of the screen. The kids and I flick them, watch them go flying. But where in the hell are they all coming from!?!?!

At least yours will touch them - our kids freak out over them. And there are TONS of them here in Frederick.

edit: and my wife says they've done in a good number of local crops, so they're not completely harmless.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 09-25-2010 at 08:53 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #1712
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
At least yours will touch them - our kids freak out over them. And there are TONS of them here in Frederick.

edit: and my wife says they've done in a good number of local crops, so they're not completely harmless.

TONS here in Northern Virginia (Ashburn), too. I think it's a crazy year for them, since I don't think I've ever seen this many.

/tk
Old 09-25-2010, 09:32 PM   #1713
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

Yeah to them they aren't touching the bugs...touching the screen. My daughter would die if one landed on her.

I guess better than locusts.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 PM   #1714
sabotai
General Manager

I love it when a plan comes together.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #1715
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
I love it when a plan comes together.

Especially evil plans
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #1716
molson
General Manager

If I was starting a UFL-esque pro football league, I would go with 34-man rosters (or less). When I read about old-timey football, it really does feel like that's the way the game is best played - where guys need to know how to do everything to be really helpful. Gino Cappelletti, for example, played a little at QB, cornerback, halfback, kicker, punter, before really emerging as a wide receiver. THAT'S a football player.

Last edited by molson : 09-27-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:13 AM   #1717
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
If I was starting a UFL-esque pro football league, I would go with 34-man rosters (or less). When I read about old-timey football, it really does feel like that's the way the game is best played - where guys need to know how to do everything to be really helpful. Gino Cappelletti, for example, played a little at QB, cornerback, halfback, kicker, punter, before really emerging as a wide receiver. THAT'S a football player.
This is not directed at you, molson, but...

ARENA FOOTBALL HAD THIS AND NOBODY WATCHED

I HATE EVERYTHING
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #1718
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I am not moving to Akron.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #1719
JediKooter
Coordinator

Well, I feel like an ass. For the last 3 months I've been calling this dude at work, Charlie (thought that's what his name was) and have sent emails to him. Now I find out that's not his name and that explains whey I never got any responses to my emails.

I have to admit, he's been awfully nice about not correcting me, as I know I've called him Charlie while talking to him. Now, I'm trying to figure out what the heck his name is...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #1720
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Nothing's wrong! Do not be alarmed just because she is not eating lunch with me! She went out to have lunch with her mother. We did not break up. We can't break up if we're not dating. No, I will not discuss this with her when we get home. We don't live together. Stop asking me so many questions. Yes, I have met her mother, and her mother is fabulous. I've met her sister, too. I was with the three of them when they were shopping for dresses. Didn't I say to stop asking me so many questions? I'm eating lunch alone today and it doesn't mean anything!
Old 09-27-2010, 11:17 AM   #1721
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Delores.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:25 AM   #1722
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
Well, I feel like an ass. For the last 3 months I've been calling this dude at work, Charlie (thought that's what his name was) and have sent emails to him. Now I find out that's not his name and that explains whey I never got any responses to my emails.

I have to admit, he's been awfully nice about not correcting me, as I know I've called him Charlie while talking to him. Now, I'm trying to figure out what the heck his name is...
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Delores.
There's the answer.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #1723
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
There's the answer.

He doesn't smell like a Delores...

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
Old 09-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #1724
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I once had this exchange with a new secretary:

Me: "So, do you prefer Debbie or Deborah?"
Her: "It's Donna."
Me: "Right."
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #1725
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

On Friday I heard a radio ad about a sale at Jos. A. Bank. You buy a suit and got $1,000 worth of merchandise free.

So, I went to Jos. A. Bank, bought a suit, and got $1,000 worth of merchandise. Everything but shoes in the store was fair game.

Between the collection of work shirts and dress pants, and the new suit, I wont have to shop for work clothes for another 6-7 years.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #1726
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Between the collection of work shirts and dress pants, and the new suit, I wont have to shop for work clothes for another 6-7 years.

Imagine if you made that statement in 1984 with no plans to buy new clothes until 1991...
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #1727
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Imagine if you made that statement in 1984 with no plans to buy new clothes until 1991...

I don't get it. Are you talking about differences in fashion? I was only 7 in 1984, but I'd imagine most normal people buying suits and dress pants wore pretty much the same stuff as they wear even now.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:48 PM   #1728
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
I don't get it. Are you talking about differences in fashion? I was only 7 in 1984

Sorry, was just imagining someone rockin a Miami Vice outfit thinking 'Man, this will never get old...'
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:50 PM   #1729
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Sorry, was just imagining someone rockin a Miami Vice outfit thinking 'Man, this will never get old...'

Sadly, I am not that in tune with fashion. Work-wise, I stick to pretty tadtional fare, khaki pants, grey dress pants, button downed shirts... The classics. Dependable, not flashy.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:20 PM   #1730
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
I am not moving to Akron.
Shit.
Old 09-27-2010, 04:38 PM   #1731
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Ugh, I think i have discovered one of the circles of hell:

Waiting for someone else's cable guy.

Apparently the cable dude needs to run a line of cable from the apartment below mine to the apartment above mine, and as such I am able to enjoy in the entire "cable guy" process.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:24 AM   #1732
thesloppy
Pro Starter

What the hell? It's 11:30pm on Sept 27th, and it's 72 degrees outside. I'm sweatin' in here!
Old 09-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #1733
Izulde
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
What the hell? It's 11:30pm on Sept 27th, and it's 72 degrees outside. I'm sweatin' in here!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!

I deal triple digits regularly. 72 is a nice late, late fall day.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:46 AM   #1734
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I deal triple digits regularly. 72 is a nice late, late fall day.

I did pause on the weather map long enough to note that it's still 95 degrees in Vegas, at like 15 minutes to midnight, so at least I can be happy I'm not there right now, handing out hooker trading cards on the strip for a living (tho' I bet the benefits are fantastic).
Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #1735
bhlloy
Coordinator

Just played soccer in 95+ at 10pm at night in Glendale (CA). This is fricking ridiculous.

Has got to be earthquake weather if there is such a thing. Might go into work extra early tomorrow just so I'm not stuck in any traffic around any overpasses or raised freeway.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #1736
Suicane75
Coordinator

I like to wait as long as possible before i pee. Because i like the sensation.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:45 AM   #1737
Suicane75
Coordinator

And man, it's hot here too.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:42 AM   #1738
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post

I like to pee in your shower.
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:47 AM   #1739
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post

I pee in his plants.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #1740
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:

As my wife likes to frequently remind me, that's not good for you. I think UTIs are more frequent for women than men, but it's still a potential issue.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 AM   #1741
DataKing
Pro Rookie

I just tossed a penalty flag at one of the Packers fans in my office. He was not amused.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #1742
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar View Post

Did you pee in my shower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediKooter View Post
I pee in his plants.

Ha, those arn't even my plants.

Stinkbugs are becoming quite the nuisance here as well. I hate that little "thwap" they make when they land on stuff. I've learned to like Boxwoods or whatever they're called, but i'll never learn to love a stink bug.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #1743
molson
General Manager

Random standup comedy news

-Artie Lange was back performing this weekend. The Stern show is still almost completely silent on him though, I wonder what that dynamic is all about. My best guess is that there's been some amount of blame, or accusations of enablilng, from Lange's family and/or the comic community towards Stern, so he's just washing his hands of the whole thing.

-Greg Giraldo in critical condition after OD'ing on prescription medications.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #1744
JediKooter
Coordinator

Quote:

Ha, those arn't even my plants.

Great, now I have to find your plants.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:09 PM   #1745
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
As my wife likes to frequently remind me, that's not good for you. I think UTIs are more frequent for women than men, but it's still a potential issue.

Also, holding is bad for your kidneys according to George Costanza.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #1746
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hold it just to make sure i get my money's worth on the piss. If I piss too soon, then I have to piss again later.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:12 PM   #1747
stevew
Hall Of Famer

HP is in no hurry to send a coffin for my deceased laptop. Thanks for 2 day shipping jerkoffs.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #1748
molson
General Manager

I wish that the Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego game show was available on DVD. That show ruled. Though I only saw one kid ever win the final map round. He won an all-expenses paid trip to anywhere in the U.S. and he chose "Arizona". As silly as the choice was, I thought he should have been more specific. The producers probably sent him to a Super-8 in downtown Yuma.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #1749
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I just tossed a penalty flag at one of the Packers fans in my office. He was not amused.

lmao.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #1750
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!!