Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #251
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Last edited by Suburban Rhythm : 04-23-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:52 AM   #252
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

This is actually better

Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 AM   #253
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Also amusing that Marchand had the last laugh...goal and an assist (I think he got an assist on the GWG right?)
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM   #254
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Nothing on the GWG, but still had the intial G.

Still funny. I'd imagine Marchand's heard worse.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #255
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Aaah. For some reason (announcer misspoke?) I thought he made the pass before the initial shot on the GWG or something. Who knows...it was late at that point and I'd watched a lot of hockey.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:00 PM   #256
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Vince Vaughn?
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #257
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

I don't watch much hockey anymore, but I did catch that Bruins/Habs game last night. Freaking awesome. Two unreal saves made by Ryder and Chara. Chara's was a complete fluke, but Ryder's was outstanding. And Thomas had a great save on a 2 on 1 in OT.
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #258
fantom1979
College Benchwarmer

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clipboard01.jpg (37.5 KB, 136 views)
fantom1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #259
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Richards should have gotten 5 for that hit on Connley. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets suspended.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:53 PM   #260
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

Luongo not in net for the Canucks. Not even on the bench.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:07 PM   #261
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
Richards should have gotten 5 for that hit on Connley. Wouldnt be surprised if he gets suspended.

I can't believe he just got a 2 minute minor either. After he called out the refs for us getting away with Mass Murder. Lindy Ruff and Ryan Miller called him and the league out post-game.

Secretly, if we had to lose one guy, it's Connolly. Ruff said Derek Roy is ready to go and will return for game 7. I wish Sekera would be ready for go and allow us to sit Butler.

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-24-2011 at 07:07 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM   #262
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
I can't believe he just got a 2 minute minor either. After he called out the refs for us getting away with Mass Murder. Lindy Ruff and Ryan Miller called him and the league out post-game.

So Buffalo was whining about the refs
Old 04-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #263
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

As horrible as Leighton played today, I place the blame on Lavy for playing him. The guy started one game all year and filled in for Boosh in game 5. You can't expect someone who hasn't seen NHL caliber talent to play up to the level needed to win an elimination game. Leighton looked out of place, and he was out of place.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:39 PM   #264
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I've adopted the Preds for these playoffs, so congrats to them for their first playoff series win.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:47 PM   #265
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
I've adopted the Preds for these playoffs, so congrats to them for their first playoff series win.

I hope you like diving, then, cause you're going to get a lot of it.

That said, for the Ducks, this is about them not bothering to show up for this one far too often. Like getting through the regular season with all their adversity alone was a worthy enough achievement.

Might be Teemu's last ever game. That's how they go out.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:48 PM   #266
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Secretly, if we had to lose one guy, it's Connolly. Ruff said Derek Roy is ready to go and will return for game 7. I wish Sekera would be ready for go and allow us to sit Butler.

Butler? No way - Monty sits well before Butler does. Monty is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode back there with his constant giveaways. That said, Sekera isn't even practicing yet so I expect the status quo on the blueline for game seven.

It's been a good series and I'm really happy with how some of the young guys have performed. Gerbe has been a revelation, as has Gragnani.
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #267
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

DOLA:

And no chance Richards gets suspended. One of the NHL's favourite teams, their captain and a game seven?

NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:53 PM   #268
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I hope you like diving, then, cause you're going to get a lot of it.

That said, for the Ducks, this is about them not bothering to show up for this one far too often. Like getting through the regular season with all their adversity alone was a worthy enough achievement.

Might be Teemu's last ever game. That's how they go out.

I hope the Coyotes move back to Winnipeg and that Teemu goes back. That's my dream of the moment. Because honestly, I didn't even realize they he was still around.

Yeah, they're not pretty. A dude on another board was complaining about them being an ugly trap team. But as a Devils fan, I was weaned on it.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:09 PM   #269
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
As horrible as Leighton played today, I place the blame on Lavy for playing him. The guy started one game all year and filled in for Boosh in game 5. You can't expect someone who hasn't seen NHL caliber talent to play up to the level needed to win an elimination game. Leighton looked out of place, and he was out of place.

I don't understand Lavy's handling of the goaltenders. Seems like you need to get someone in there and give him confidence.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:11 PM   #270
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSkillz View Post
Butler? No way - Monty sits well before Butler does. Monty is a ticking time bomb waiting to explode back there with his constant giveaways. That said, Sekera isn't even practicing yet so I expect the status quo on the blueline for game seven.

It's been a good series and I'm really happy with how some of the young guys have performed. Gerbe has been a revelation, as has Gragnani.

Butler just seems out of place for me and tends to be a big part of the giving up the goals the last few games. I hate how he doesn't go all the way down to take away the pass on out-number rushes.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #271
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand Lavy's handling of the goaltenders. Seems like you need to get someone in there and give him confidence.

I was fine with going with Boucher...but I didn't like Leighton starting at all. He looked shaky the game before. I understand the reasoning having him as backup because Bob is horrible off the bench but after today I am willing to take that chance and just let Leighton sit in the press box.

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-24-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:15 PM   #272
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
I was fine with going with Boucher...but I didn't like Leighton starting at all.

I did as a Sabres fan, but I agree with you. It didn't make sense to me. Has Lavy been criticized a lot in Philly for his goaltending calls this series?

Last edited by Galaxy : 04-24-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #273
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I did as a Sabres fan, but I agree with you. It didn't make sense to me. Has Lavy been criticized a lot in Philly for his goaltending calls this series?

Given the fact that he waited so long to announce Leighton starting today, he didn't get much flack. Had they lost the game, I am sure he would have taken the brunt of the blame.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #274
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Given the fact that he waited so long to announce Leighton starting today, he didn't get much flack. Had they lost the game, I am sure he would have taken the brunt of the blame.

Think B will start on Tuesday? I can't wait. It should be a fun game.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #275
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

If I were to guess...I would say Boucher will start.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:26 PM   #276
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
I hope the Coyotes move back to Winnipeg and that Teemu goes back. That's my dream of the moment. Because honestly, I didn't even realize they he was still around.

Yeah, they're not pretty. A dude on another board was complaining about them being an ugly trap team. But as a Devils fan, I was weaned on it.

The fan reaction would be epic. I still remember when they traded him for Chad kilger and Oleg tverdovsky. I was a kid and was sad about it. I honestly stopped following hockey as close as I had been because of that trade. Complete money move and as a kid I did not understand it.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #277
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Oh shut the fuck up with this bullshit. He's performed at big stages.

Yeah, being benched in a series-clinching playoff game must mean he is an uber goalie. His GAA in this playoffs is 3.67, and last year it was 3.22; both with sub .900 save percentages. He would have been great in the '80's though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #278
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
He would have been great in the '80's though.

He also would have been waiting for his voice to change
Old 04-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #279
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Heh, okay, I can see that last.

F the part about Teemu going back to the Peg, though!

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #280
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
Luongo not in net for the Canucks. Not even on the bench.

And look who's in now...3-3 heading to OT.

Schneider looks like he shredded his groin on a PS by Frolik to tie game.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #281
bhlloy
Coordinator

Well that's that then. Tough to get too upset about a first round exit when you lost one of the best goalies in the game (possibly for good) and were 11th in the conference with a few weeks left, but this series was definitely there for the taking.

Difference is the Preds are built for the playoffs (a lot of veteran energy guys, a great defense that goes 6 deep and a Vezina quality goalie, even if he didn't play like it) and the Ducks just aren't. At least one defensive defenseman in the offseason is a must, and then hope that Sbisa and Fowler continue their development, plus Hiller comes back? That could be a pretty decent team.

Oh and take the C away from Getzlaf please. He didn't deserve it this series. Great player but until he learns to stop trying to get himself on Sportscenter and play the game that benefits the team, he's never going to really be a captain. Koivu or Selanne please, with Perry as an A.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #282
bbor
Pro Starter

Collars getting tight in Vancouver.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:55 PM   #283
bronconick
College Starter

7uon6o strikes again. Vancouver going to a game 7. No team that has gone to 7 games in the first round has won the cup in the 16 team format.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:09 PM   #284
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

LOL @Vancouver, blowing a 3-0 series lead and getting blown out in two of those losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:21 PM   #285
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
No team that has gone to 7 games in the first round has won the cup in the 16 team format.

Not sure where you got this stat, but without even looking it up and just going off the top of my head, the 1990 Edmonton Oilers went to 7 games against the Jets (and were down 3-1 iirc) in Round 1 and went on to win the cup.

Who know, perhaps they are the only one. But if some stupid commentator came up with the stat, it may be in reference to the current conference format as opposed to the old Smythe/Norris/Adams/Patrick setup. However, that format was still 16 teams.

Last edited by Carman Bulldog : 04-24-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:31 PM   #286
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman Bulldog View Post
Not sure where you got this stat, but without even looking it up and just going off the top of my head, the 1990 Edmonton Oilers went to 7 games against the Jets (and were down 3-1 iirc) in Round 1 and went on to win the cup.

Who know, perhaps they are the only one. But if some stupid commentator came up with the stat, it may be in reference to the current conference format as opposed to the old Smythe/Norris/Adams/Patrick setup. However, that format was still 16 teams.

1990? Probably "new expansion" (post-SJ) era then.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:41 PM   #287
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

Just looked it up and I can't believe I forgot about Joel Otto's goal and Mike Vernon's save in 1989 when the Flames beat the Canucks in 7 and went on to win the cup.

It turns out the Pens turned the same feat back to back in 1991 and 1992, so that would make 4 consecutive seasons that the cup winner won their opening series in game 7.

The year 1987 was the first year with the 16 team, 7 games/round format. In 1994, the format switched from the old division semi-finals and division finals setup to an open conference format with re-seeding after the opening round, with only the '94 Canucks and '04 Flames having went to the Finals after going 7 games in round one since the switch.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #288
bronconick
College Starter

Ok. I officially blame the stupid panicking Shark fans for being idiots about that stat.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:35 PM   #289
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Well, he worked the magic pretty well back in '06. Gerber was the starter during the regular season, but illness and flat-out sucking in the first game and much of game two against Montreal led Lavy to put Cam Ward in. Ward then proceeded to win four straight against Montreal, four of five against New Jersey, and then finally ran out of gas in the Buffalo series. With the series on edge, Lavy switched back to Gerber, who then delivered a huge shutout to keep the Canes going, but Gerber went back into the dumps the very next game, Ward came back, and the rest is history.

I'm not saying that's necessarily the equivalent situation here, but Lavy does have a tendency to play hunches with his goalies.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 AM   #290
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Thanks Kaleta...

Quote:
From the Buffalo News column:

Briere had been emotionally charged up, and more than a little angry, since early in the game. "Honestly, one of their young guys said something to me that was personal and crossed the line," the former Sabre said. "It got me fired up a little bit more than it usually does. That was probably a big part of it."

A Flyers source said Patrick Kaleta made comments to Briere and teammate Scott Hartnell about their divorces early in the Flyers' 5-4 overtime victory, which evened the Eastern Conference quarterfinal series at three games apiece.

Now, I assume the players are regularly saying all that and then some out there, but apparently whatever Kaleta said fired Danny up quite a bit, and he made it part of a locker room speech in the second intermission.

Considering Briere scored a pair of goals (his fourth and fifth of the series) and Hartnell added a game-tying goal and an assist, Kaleta may want to work on some new material
Old 04-25-2011, 07:20 AM   #291
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Thanks Kaleta...

Did Carter say something to Hartnell too?
Old 04-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #292
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

I think the correct stat is no one who has gone 7 games in each of the first two rounds has won the cup.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:50 AM   #293
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Back-to-back Game 7s on Tuesday. Fantastic.

I only saw the last 3 minutes of regulation and all of the OT of the Chicago/Vancouver game last night, but Luongo looked like his was fighting every single shot. If the injury to Schneider is as bad as it looked and Luongo starts Game 7, I am not sure of Vancouver's chances. The guy looks to have zero confidence right now. It's crazy to think that Vancouver's biggest weakness going into Game 7 could very well be its $5.3 million a year, Gold Medal winning goalie.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #294
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Back-to-back Game 7s on Tuesday. Fantastic.

I only saw the last 3 minutes of regulation and all of the OT of the Chicago/Vancouver game last night, but Luongo looked like his was fighting every single shot. If the injury to Schneider is as bad as it looked and Luongo starts Game 7, I am not sure of Vancouver's chances. The guy looks to have zero confidence right now. It's crazy to think that Vancouver's biggest weakness going into Game 7 could very well be its $5.3 million a year, Gold Medal winning goalie.

Per NHLN, they are calling the Schneider "injury" cramping, due to dehydration. So, in theory, he could play.

What happens if they start Luongo and lose? Where does that leave them going into next year, with I think 11 year left on his deal?

If they start Schneider and lose, they'll be questioned about not using their gold medal winning goalie.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 AM   #295
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Anyone think Luongo may be hurt? He has been having trouble catching pucks and has uses his glove as a blocker a few times batting the puck? Could he have a hand issue?

Last edited by Dr. Sak : 04-25-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:52 AM   #296
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Anyone think Luongo may be hurt? He has been having trouble catching pucks and has uses his glove as a blocker a few times batting the puck? Could he have a hand issue?

I know the popular belief is that he's a "shitting his pants, non-clutch playoff goalie" but I don't believe that yet. The gold medal thing raised him in my eyes and so I'll believe it's an injury and I don't think the Canucks have to worry about goaltending for the next few years.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #297
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Thanks Kaleta...

I didn't know Briere got divorce. (Not that follow the lives of hockey players.)

I'm surprised they still have Carter and Hartnell on the same team to be honest.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #298
Galaxy
Coordinator

No suspension for Richards.

Tomorrow's game should be intense and old-school (like this series). I hate the wait.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #299
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I think Luongo is a good goalie, but the Blackhawks seem to have him figured out. Next year I'd like to see the Canucks not meet the Blackhawks for a couple of rounds to see how that theory plays out.

And yes, you can read into the above statement that I'm already assuming Chicago will win this series.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:24 PM   #300
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
I know the popular belief is that he's a "shitting his pants, non-clutch playoff goalie" but I don't believe that yet. The gold medal thing raised him in my eyes and so I'll believe it's an injury and I don't think the Canucks have to worry about goaltending for the next few years.

I am not sure if you can call Luongo a "non-clutch playoff goalie". Overall, his playoff numbers are very similar to his regular season numbers. The last two years, however, his playoff numbers are pretty bad:

09-10: 6-6; 3.23 GAA; .895 Sv%
10-11: 3-3; 3.45 GAA; .888 Sv %

Like Fidatelo mentioned, however, the common factor both this year and last are the Chicago Blackhawks. They are most definitely in his head. Also, unless he really is injured, I think "shitting the bed" is a pretty apt description of his performance in games 4 and 5 of this series.

As for his Olympic Medal being proof that he is a "big game" goalie, I am not so sure. Yes, he came in and righted the ship a bit in the Olympics after Broduer struggled, but I watched pretty much every game Canada played in the Olympics and never felt like he was the reason they won. He was fine, but not stellar.

I think my view on Luongo and Team Canada is similar to how people view Chris Osgood and the Red Wings. So, to analogize, Lurongo was to Team Canada's Gold Medal winning team as Chris Osgood was to the Detroit Red Wings 1998 Stanley Cup.

I am pulling for Vancouver. I would like to see them win, but at this point, against Chicago, I have no faith in Luongo.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote