Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #51
Danny
Head Coach

Wait, this isn't the salem game? I'm going to back out actually.

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #52
Autumn
Head Coach

Small change to the rules. You can vote Danny now, if you'd like.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #53
Autumn
Head Coach

I actually forgot to include in the PMs your starting money. But that's fine, because I'd like to be transparent and clear that all players start with the same amount of money. You each currently have $1,000. Tomorrow at noon you will be shown the services you can bid on for Day 1.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:43 PM   #54
Danny
Head Coach

As an initial prognosis, I have to believe each mafia has the same number of wolves, probably three each. Since to win they would need to equal the villagers, that would be 13-3-3. No way it's 9-4-4, though 15-2-2 is possible, it seems that would be too big a hill for a family to climb.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #55
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
Small change to the rules. You can vote Danny now, if you'd like.

This may be allowable in the rules, but it is not a recommended strategy.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:47 PM   #56
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ok, I am going to throw this put there.

I am a vanilla villager. I am offering myself up for a day one vote. The risk is that we don't kill a wolf. The reward is that we don't kill a rolled villager.

The choice is yours.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #57
Danny
Head Coach

lol, there are no roled villagers
Old 02-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #58
The Jackal
Coordinator

Whether or not I believe Lathum is one thing, but since there are supposedly a fair amount of vanilla villagers, and likely 6 mafia (I tend to agree with what Danny posted up there), our chances of hitting a wolf on day one are slightly higher than normal. So I probably won't be taking Lathum up on that choice, unless I decide this was an interesting wolf ploy.

I'm vanilla also, but I have bracelets to win and women to purchase, so I'd like to stick around a little bit.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #59
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Good point, I had to re-read the rules since I was confusing some things with the Salem game, but it does say there may be some hidden roles. Though who knows if those would be very beneficial to the village or not.

Guess the village bids on services too, though the mafia families probably will be winning a lot of them since they can coordinate voting? Actually that's a good question. Do they get to pool their money to bid on things or does each person have to bid separately like the rest of us? (goes to check the rules after posting)
Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #60
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I was thinking 3 - 3 as well
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 PM   #61
The Jackal
Coordinator

I see that the mafia are able to pool their bids, so don't worry about answering my question.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #62
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

They can pool their money if they so choose. So us villagers will just have to be really good at not letting people swing the vote (since the families will likely try to do that to win more of the lynch bets and in turn win more money)
Old 02-09-2011, 10:01 PM   #63
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

I admittedly haven't read the rules, but my offer still stands.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #64
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

It seems like I'm always a villager in this game .. no reason for that to stop now I guess. Lets take down the Mafia we villagers.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #65
Autumn
Head Coach

My first rules clarification (probably of many).

When you bet on a lynch you don't need to bet any certain amount. The bet is essentially risk free, you either make something if you're right or make nothing.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:21 PM   #66
Zinto
College Starter

Quote:
My first rules clarification (probably of many).

When you bet on a lynch you don't need to bet any certain amount. The bet is essentially risk free, you either make something if you're right or make nothing.

Awesome I was wondering if someone bet all their money on day one and lost what would happen.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 PM   #67
Danny
Head Coach

Maybe we take Lathum up on his offer and all of us bet him? That way the village as a whole has more money to spend then a mafia group.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:29 PM   #68
Zinto
College Starter

Quote:
Maybe we take Lathum up on his offer and all of us bet him? That way the village as a whole has more money to spend then a mafia group.

The only thing I do not like about that is the mafia is able to pool money they can bet a little more than the amount any villager has to get any role they want. Then I again it is pretty much a wash because with everyone at a 1000 dollars they can do that anyways.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #69
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

still haven't read the rules but if that helps the village bring it on.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:32 PM   #70
The Jackal
Coordinator

I'll have to think this over, though I would caution that this may not work today as not everyone will check in by the time our bets are due. Maybe for day 2, especially if we know after the first lynch what the reward is for a correct guess?
Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 AM   #71
Darth Vilus
College Benchwarmer

The Darth checking in, let's roll guys.

"Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you…"
―Darth Plagueis the Wise
Darth Vilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 AM   #72
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinto View Post
The only thing I do not like about that is the mafia is able to pool money they can bet a little more than the amount any villager has to get any role they want. Then I again it is pretty much a wash because with everyone at a 1000 dollars they can do that anyways.

This is true, but lets say we are 13-3-3 right now. So as of now the village has 13 to play with and each mafia group has 3 (just using these numbers to represent the thousands). If everyone bet, then it would be 26-6-6. Same ratio, but greater overall value for the village. Would it be worth it? I'm not sure at this point.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:55 AM   #73
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
As an initial prognosis, I have to believe each mafia has the same number of wolves, probably three each. Since to win they would need to equal the villagers, that would be 13-3-3. No way it's 9-4-4, though 15-2-2 is possible, it seems that would be too big a hill for a family to climb.

I was thinking 13-3-3 before the game started also, though the rules mention other possibilities:

Quote:
ROLES

For the most part the game will consist of vanilla villagers and vanilla mafia, with bidding replacing the typical roles. There may be some hidden roles or hidden victory conditions in the game, however.

I don't know if that means a possible neutral role? So for argument's sake I'll say it's something like 12-3-3-1. If we go forward with Lathum's plan:

Pro: We would make more money than the mafia would today and have more to spend on roles.
Con: We lose a day of voting since it'll be a landslide like none ever seen on day 1. I'm not sure how valuable voting record will be in this game though, since we have groups of wolves that will happily vote for other wolves. We also lose a villager when we have a lot of mafia we have to knock off before we can win.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:07 AM   #74
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

For my con above, I should say "potentially" lose a villager since Lathum could be mafia, though I can't see how offering themselves for sacrifice would be a very good opening move for them.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:26 AM   #75
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Autumn, some questions:

1. Do we know what happens if we tie when we bid for services?
2. If we bid on but fail to win a service, do we lose the money we had bid?
Old 02-10-2011, 06:42 AM   #76
Autumn
Head Coach

@JAG

1. You do not know the tie breaker, no.
2. If you do not win your bid you keep your money.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #77
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

I shall not be voting for an agreed upon member of the community. I do not think that the benifits outway the negatives.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:53 AM   #78
hoopsguy
General Manager

Having run a few non-conventional WW games, my first suggestion to people would be to remember that each day is about finding wolves. There are certainly going to be some different mechanics in play, but fundamentally we are still trying to get rid of bad guys. I hope that people keep that in mind and don't get too caught up in bidding on services and all the other elements unique to this game.

I'm not saying ignore the extras, just that it is likely a bad idea to compromise core werewolf principles along the way.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:55 AM   #79
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Resident checking in...
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:58 AM   #80
saldana
Pro Starter

checking in.

not sure what lathum is playing at...first of all why sign up if you are gonna volunteer to get lynched...that is totally unlike him

second of all, calling that out doesnt actually help the village, because the mafia guys can all bet you too and profit from your death the same way the village will.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #81
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Having run a few non-conventional WW games, my first suggestion to people would be to remember that each day is about finding wolves. There are certainly going to be some different mechanics in play, but fundamentally we are still trying to get rid of bad guys. I hope that people keep that in mind and don't get too caught up in bidding on services and all the other elements unique to this game.

I'm not saying ignore the extras, just that it is likely a bad idea to compromise core werewolf principles along the way.

Tsk, tsk, such a spoil sport, hoops.

Checking in. I am cautiously supportive of the vote one guy plan, but it might be a good idea to play out Day One like normal and see what we have and how things work first.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #82
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

@hoops: I think the money making is just an asynchronous way to that purpose, thinking that the extra money the village starts with will be enough to buy some extra services with the goal of catching more wolves.

@Saldana: The point is that all will win, but there are presumably a lot more villagers than mafia so the villagers will make the most profit.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:30 AM   #83
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Do you make this assumption because the typical distribution is 75%-25% villagers to wolves?

If that is the case, then I would also agree with JAG's input that we have to allow for an "other role" which would probably make the distribution 12-3-3-1.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #84
The Jackal
Coordinator

I would guess that even if there is a neutral role, it still counts as a villager in the grand scheme of things. It probably just has different win conditions, such as outlive a certain mafia member or something along those lines. I'll have to mull on it to think of what other crazy things Autumn might've injected.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:37 AM   #85
The Jackal
Coordinator

And I tend to agree with hoops - in games like this, enjoy the hoopla and the extras, but remember that there are still wolves that need rooting out, and that should always be the main goal.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #86
The Jackal
Coordinator

Would also not be surprised if someone's win conditions are related to the amount of money they can stockpile.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:39 AM   #87
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
checking in.

not sure what lathum is playing at...first of all why sign up if you are gonna volunteer to get lynched...that is totally unlike him

second of all, calling that out doesnt actually help the village, because the mafia guys can all bet you too and profit from your death the same way the village will.

I think the idea is that since there are more of us, we'd get more money. Still, I'm with hoops, and I'd rather not waste a vote and lose info.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #88
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

checking in
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:41 AM   #89
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Like I mentioned earlier, I still haven't read the rules so I have no clue about all this betting.

I signed up because I wanted to support Autumn and the WW community. I have to go to Cleveland next week and my time will be limited. I went into this knowing if I was a villager I was going to go this path, after all, someone has to go first.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 AM   #90
Autumn
Head Coach

A reminder that bets need to be sent to me by 12 noon EST. Voting will begin then. A bet only needs to include your guess as to who will be lynched today.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:56 AM   #91
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

ok, read the rules.

I am a little confused by how things are going to go today.

So we bet by noon on who is going to be lynched. We then get a list of services that will be available to bid on. The winning bidders get to use those services tonight. Is that correct? If so does the winning bidder find out right after the lynch what service they have?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM   #92
Autumn
Head Coach

That is all correct Lathum. The winners have until 9 am tomorrow to send in their orders for the services they won.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:03 AM   #93
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

what if the person who bid the most for a service if lynched?

Does the role default to the next highest bidder?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:06 AM   #94
Autumn
Head Coach

Yes, the order of operations will be:
Lynch is processed.
Bets are processed.
Bids are processed.

So only those living are considered for the bids. And that also means you can attempt to bid more than you currently have, hoping you make money in the bet.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:10 AM   #95
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Do we know how big the pool is that can be won by predicting who gets lynched? Also, what happens if no one wins?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #96
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

can I vote for myself to be lynched?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #97
Autumn
Head Coach

@Pass No, you don't know those answers.

@Lathum Yes, you can self vote.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #98
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Do we know how big the pool is that can be won by predicting who gets lynched?
I don't see anything that indicates how big the prize pool gets, or how it is even calculated...
Old 02-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #99
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I assume, too, that we will not find out who people bet on and who profited from the lynch?
Old 02-10-2011, 09:28 AM   #100
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
I assume, too, that we will not find out who people bet on and who profited from the lynch?

I was wondering about that too.

In the end, I think I'm opposed to betting Lathum. I don't see the benefit of such a play for the wolves, and that means I have roughly a pool of 17 players to vote for, of which more than one third are wolves. Also, I didn't factor in losing Lathum's purchasing power (his starting 1K) to total sum of what would be gained by the village.