Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-02-2015, 11:36 AM   #51
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

I'm seeing dort+ap versus field with dort-ap being even money right now. Thinking about taking a small bit on it.field is -130

If either drops below 2... forgot to add that

Last edited by murrayyyyy : 05-02-2015 at 11:40 AM.
murrayyyyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 11:37 AM   #52
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I'd agree that a late wave on chalk seems likely, I'd agree AP gets bet down to 2, not sure on DORTMUND, he might hold at 4.

Would be interesting if they ran 1-2...loser ships right to Belmont perhaps, but only to run if there's a Preakness upset?

I actually put a cheap exacta on those two just for kicks.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:05 PM   #53
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Likely going with this part wheel: 2,8,15 / 2,3,6,8,10,15,18 / 2,3,4,6,8,10,15,18 -- $108 for the buck tri

Leaving off Upstart at my own peril, but can't put every horse in. Still might leave AP off this ticket as the Dortmund/AP/whoever payoff will be thin.

Will likely play the late Pick 4 but haven't looked at the other races yet. Good luck to everyone.
weegeebored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #54
QuikSand
lolzcat

My main betting:

Keys: 15, 18, 19
Used: 4, 5, 6, 8, 10

My syndicate and I are both vulnerable to any of the bombers (other than the 4) hitting in the top two spots. Cold be a $2K wipeout, which would kinda suck.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:14 PM   #55
kingfc22
Head Coach

I guess NBC ignored all the negative feedback from the Super Bowl as the figure skaters are back talking nonsense.
Old 05-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #56
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

2-3-6 tri and exacta box

3-8-18 exacta box

3 to win and place
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #57
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

One day i will remember to exacta box my tri...
Old 05-02-2015, 05:57 PM   #58
digamma
Torchbearer

That was a great race to watch, from the very amateur observer's gallery.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #59
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I'm a big believer in observing the pace of the race to best understand what's really happening. You see my previous comments in this thread along those lines - will 3 get a clear lead? Will Stevens send the 10? Etc. it matters quite a bit.

It definitely shaped this race a ton. The 3 got pinched out and had no chance (I'm shocked he landed in 6th not 16th), DORTMUND found himself on the default lead early, and Stevens clearly didn't want to run out ahead. PHAROAH sat right behind them as the pace was rather slow. As they came through the backstretch in their slow times with no serious effort, I barked "that's the triple right there," it's hard to catch leaders who haven't worked hard - doubly so when they are the real talent in the field.

Not a knock on the winner, who ran well and deserves his props. He had to beat out two others who had a great shot also, and he did it with authority. But that pace really dictated the race. No idea how different it would have played out with just one tiny change -- MATERIALITY breaks cleanly and runs about three lengths ahead of this crowd after 1 1/2 panels. Might have been really different.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #60
QuikSand
lolzcat

As for my bets, I did okay but not great. I didn't use the 10 as widely as others, and I only hit the triple once for a bit more than $100. Not a huge score.

My syndicate more of the same. The very first bet we put together, a "foundation," was a six horse box Superfecta, which ended up hitting for $600 plus. Given that, I feel like we should have done better than we did - we ended upside down on the day. Alas.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-02-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 05-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #61
Jon
High School Varsity

I did very well today. Hit on the place and 50 cent trifecta and made a killing on the superfecta. I just wish I had bet what I was originally going to on the super.

Last edited by Jon : 05-02-2015 at 11:23 PM.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #62
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
So, I'm a big believer in observing the pace of the race to best understand what's really happening. You see my previous comments in this thread along those lines - will 3 get a clear lead? Will Stevens send the 10? Etc. it matters quite a bit.

It definitely shaped this race a ton. The 3 got pinched out and had no chance (I'm shocked he landed in 6th not 16th), DORTMUND found himself on the default lead early, and Stevens clearly didn't want to run out ahead. PHAROAH sat right behind them as the pace was rather slow. As they came through the backstretch in their slow times with no serious effort, I barked "that's the triple right there," it's hard to catch leaders who haven't worked hard - doubly so when they are the real talent in the field.

Not a knock on the winner, who ran well and deserves his props. He had to beat out two others who had a great shot also, and he did it with authority. But that pace really dictated the race. No idea how different it would have played out with just one tiny change -- MATERIALITY breaks cleanly and runs about three lengths ahead of this crowd after 1 1/2 panels. Might have been really different.
Excellent post; could not have said it better. I don't think we'll have a TC winner in AP, but the battle to the wire was exciting to watch. Of course, it's hard to know if track maintenance had something to do with the outcome, but previous dirt races looked pretty speed favoring.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:39 AM   #63
Dutch
"Dutch"

I dont normally pay attention to horse racing, but one of my good friend's (who I met back in my military days) brother is the jockey for Mr. Z...we were rooting like crazy for them, but they finish 15 lengths off the pace. Still neat to have an indirect vested interest in the outcome.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:48 PM   #64
QuikSand
lolzcat

I'm really surprised that DORTMUND is still being pointed toward the Preakness.

Field continues to take shape for Preakness 2015 - Baltimore Sun

If all of the top three remain in the field, I think AP might go off at 2-1 or so. Hard to say.
Old 05-13-2015, 04:23 PM   #65
QuikSand
lolzcat

Preakness Field

1. American Pharaoh 4/5
2. Dortmund 7/2
3. Mr. Z 20/1
4. Danzig Moon 15/1
5. Tale of Verve 30/1
6. Bodhisattva 20/1
7. Divining Rod 20/1
8. Firing Line 7/2
Old 05-13-2015, 11:34 PM   #66
britrock88
Pro Starter

I'm always a little miffed that the Derby runs ~20 and the Preakness runs 40-50% of that number. Anyone know why?
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:10 AM   #67
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
I'm always a little miffed that the Derby runs ~20 and the Preakness runs 40-50% of that number. Anyone know why?

Usually it is because some of the longer shot horses that qualify put all their eggs in the Kentucky Derby basket. If they flame out there, there usually isn't much of an impetus to put the money into further training and prep for the Preakness.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:19 AM   #68
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
If all of the top three remain in the field, I think AP might go off at 2-1 or so. Hard to say.
Bettors typically go with the the "Horse A beat both Horse B and Horse C" approach so it's nearly certain that AP will be a low-priced favorite especially in a small-ish field. I'm thinking even money or less. This is a no play race for me (unless Dortmund is 7-2), and it wouldn't shock me if AP won. I would actually like to see that as that makes the Belmont more interesting, and makes AP a big "play against" in that race.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:30 PM   #69
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored View Post
Bettors typically go with the the "Horse A beat both Horse B and Horse C" approach so it's nearly certain that AP will be a low-priced favorite especially in a small-ish field. I'm thinking even money or less. This is a no play race for me (unless Dortmund is 7-2), and it wouldn't shock me if AP won. I would actually like to see that as that makes the Belmont more interesting, and makes AP a big "play against" in that race.

I am on the same line of thought here.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:00 AM   #70
QuikSand
lolzcat

Early wagering is not as strong an indicator in the Preakness as the Derby, but in the early money yesterday the bettors put AP at 3-5, FIRING LINE at 5-2, and DORTMUND at 8-1.

So, there could be some value in this race after all.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:38 AM   #71
weegeebored
High School Varsity

8-1 would be a no-brainer play on Dortmund for me. Won't get that, but maybe the trend indicates that he might be 4-1 come post time.
Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #72
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

4th race in 2 months for AP worries me here with those being all his races this year. I don't know why but I keep thinking the two outside horses end up here going 8-7 exacta box.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:06 AM   #73
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

78,78,field,field super. Have to go for it aince it cost only 60
Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #74
QuikSand
lolzcat

Might be more speed here than in the entire 20 horse field two weeks ago. Word/talk is that DWL is gong to send MR Z to the front just to mess up the race, he's a spitefult shit, so the theory works, even if it cooks his guy he might mess up the TC shot.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:12 PM   #75
QuikSand
lolzcat

I don't expect to bet heavily, but 8 might be my leave-out guy here.

Last edited by QuikSand : 05-16-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 12:30 PM   #76
QuikSand
lolzcat

Looks like DORTMUND settling in at 9-2. I'm on the fence, but I think that's solid value.
Old 05-16-2015, 01:06 PM   #77
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am lucking out this weekend. Last night got great seats in the O's game for cheap and today, I will be going to watch the Preakness. Yeah, I will be catching the race and the one after, but I am thinking an Trifecta Box of

Dortmund
AP
Firing Line
Old 05-16-2015, 01:15 PM   #78
weegeebored
High School Varsity

You might not get your money back on that tri with the top three horses.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:23 AM   #79
QuikSand
lolzcat

So, I might get a chance to see my 9th TC failure. Actually, no real quarrel here with AP's breeding, and the running style suits me fine. I expect we'll see healthy field - likely wheeling back FROSTED, MATERIALITY, UPSTART, CARPE DIEM do who know who else from the Derby field, plus a few fresh shooters.

To be honest, I'd really like to actually see this happen, and I like Baffert enough that I'd be okay if this is the guy.

Will, however, be looking at this as a beat-the-fave opportunity which has historically been the right play.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #80
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Well, we ended up going and getting there in time. We still managed to hit the rain storm.

They kicked us all back inside when the storm came down due to lightning but still called the horses to post.

When they were getting ready to start they let us all back outside. Everyone stayed under the awning while I hit the fence right off the bat. I was right at the finish line of the Preakness!

It was an amazing race and my first and definitely won't be my last!
Old 05-17-2015, 08:14 AM   #81
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
To be honest, I'd really like to actually see this happen...
I get what you're saying, but as a long time player and fan I would hate to have to include AP in the same breath as Secretariat, Affirmed, Seattle Slew, etc. AP's running times / speed figs are pedestrian. This is simply a case where the 3yo crop is poor, and AP is the best of a mediocre bunch.

As you mentioned about DWL, there will be trainers who will do what they can to compromise AP's chances. AP is a big play against in the Belmont; I just need to figure out who wins it.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:36 AM   #82
QuikSand
lolzcat

Hmm, I think you're in something of a minority calling this crop poor. But maybe with Dortmund's fade, that strengthens that argument.

Anyway - I'm basically with you, and will be looking for value in the Belmont. I haven't read anything about UPSTART, but both he and FROSTED are likely to figure in my Belmont wagering if present. I didn't really back MATERIALITY in the Derby, but he ran well after getting shut out early - a gutty race like that, with five weeks off and a forward style all point toward a good setup. I'll need to digest more about his pedigree, but I could see him kicking some mud in AP's eyes early on.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:12 PM   #83
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but as a long time player and fan I would hate to have to include AP in the same breath as Secretariat, Affirmed, Seattle Slew, etc. AP's running times / speed figs are pedestrian. This is simply a case where the 3yo crop is poor, and AP is the best of a mediocre bunch.

But why would you push AP if it wasn't needed? He got him in front, gave him a rest and still won easily on a track that was anything but fast with the amount of rain dropped on it. Slew ran a horrible time in his Belmont on a slop track but no one mentions it because he completed the triple crown. If AP wins running away in New York then he's earned the TC.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #84
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
But why would you push AP if it wasn't needed?
I didn't say that the jock should. But you're just making my point about a mediocre crop of 3yos.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 PM   #85
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I didn't say that the jock should. But you're just making my point about a mediocre crop of 3yos.

He ran a 22.4 in the slop. That pace from the start would spend a lot of good horses energy. He is faster out of the blocks and faster down the finish.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #86
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
American Pharoah gets the 5 post, and is a 3/5 favorite at this point.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #87
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Is there anything to like besides 5,6,8?
Old 06-03-2015, 02:15 PM   #88
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayyyyy View Post
Is there anything to like besides 5,6,8?

Zito has twice thwarted a Triple Crown with horses that were at least 30-1. Frammento is.. 30-1.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #89
QuikSand
lolzcat

For what it's worth, there seems to be remarkably litle buzz around this race, I presume since there's "trying to finish the TC" fatigue" or somesuch. I just got my tickets, and they were far cheaper and more plentiful than last year. And I give AP a much greater shot at winning this than I did CC last year, for whatever that is worth.

We'll see. I will likely be betting FROSTED as my key horse.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:44 AM   #90
weegeebored
High School Varsity

I think that AP is the most likely winner but will be pounded at the windows. This is a decent betting race if one is of the mind to toss him from the top spot. Or tossing from the place spot as well if making $$ is the object.
Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM   #91
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think KEEN ICE is the "bomber" play, but likely won't hold 20-1. Curlin looks like he's developing as a quite legitimate distance sire, and this horse might have the best overall distance pedigree in the field if you take that leap of faith.
Old 06-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #92
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Playing favs while killing off the 8. Super 56,56,12347,12347.

The more i look at the 8 the more i think he has no shot.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:41 PM   #93
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Not a great betting race for me but going to take a shot against AP. TRIs and SUPERs out for me; I can't see AP not finishing at least 4th and very well may blow the field away although 12f is going to be a tough get. Going with some exactas, with one using AP in the place hole as a saver bet. If the track is sloppy then I won't play at all. FWIW, these plays are based on solid pedigree ratings.

6,7,8 / 3,5,6,7,8 -- $12 per unit

I really like Frosted in here. I might make a win bet on him as well.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #97
kingfc22
Head Coach

Thought he might get caught after having to set the pace, but he ended up pulling away to win with ease.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #98
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Holy Shit!

That was awesome.

When I was in Vegas a few weeks ago I put money on AP to win the crown.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #99
murrayyyyy
College Benchwarmer

Not often i hit a superfecta and have no desire to go get my money. $285...blah, but worth it to stop hearing how impossible a triple crown is.
Old 06-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #100
PilotMan
Head Coach

Well, I hope Quick got to see that. I won't deny that it brought a tear to my eye, even though I didn't get to see it live and knew how it ended.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote