Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-04-2006, 04:02 AM   #1
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

WWSM: Germany 2006

Hey everyone,

I have gotten back into the FM/WWSM series (with the latest patch 6.02), and am enjoying a fun game as the coach of the Los Angeles Galaxy (first career ever in the MLS).

I set myself up as English nationality, though, so I can eventually move out of the MLS to bigger things.

Anyway, one of the things I love about WWSM is the ability to really show off a good World Cup. So I thought I would do a dynasty for Germany 2006 in my current game. So here goes.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 04:25 AM   #2
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Here are the groupings, from highest ranked to lowest ranked.

Group A

Brazil (6)
Ireland (8)
Honduras (23)
Togo (29)

Group B

Argentina (13)
Japan (14)
Sweden (20)
Australia (80)

Group C

Spain (2)
Croatia (32)
Saudi Arabia (31)
Paraguay (34)

Group D

Portugal (4)
Cameroon (9)
South Korea (16)
Ukraine (24)

Group E

Holland (5)
Germany (26)
Ecuador (36)
Iran (56)

Group F

Mexico (1)
Italy (3)
Nigeria (21)
Poland (42)

Group G

United States (7)
England (10)
Tunisia (25)
Serbia & Montenegro (27)

Group H

France (11)
South Africa {16)
Jamaica (17)
Slovakia (40)

Obviously, if you look at the rankings, you'll see it's pretty messed up. But then the real life FIFA rankings are pretty jacked and close to worthless as well, so does it really make a difference?

My picks for top (toughest) groups are B, C, F, and G, with probably B being the toughest.

The easiest is, hands down, H. Once again, France is handed an easy ticket to the second round.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 02-05-2006, 04:42 AM   #3
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Group A

BRAZIL

FIFA Ranking: #6
Region: South America
World Cups Won: 5
South Korea-Japan 2002: Won World Cup
Last Time Didn't Make WC: Never
Tournaments won 2002-06: Copa America (2004), Confederations Cup (2005)

How They Got Here: 2nd place in SAM qualifiers (top four + playoff spot goes to WC)
Coach: Carlos Alberto Parreira
Tactic: 4-1-2-2-1

Players To Watch: AM LC Ronaldhino (Barcelona), DC Lucio (FC Bayern), ST Ronaldo (Real Madrid)

Team Strengths: What's not strong? They are amazingly deep in world class players up front, they have versatility up and down the lineup, and yet the best part of their team may be at the back. Their second team could win the Cup if given the chance. Ronaldo is coming off of a lackluster season with Real Madrid, and may find himself looking over his shoulder at new young stars Adriano (Inter), Kaka (Milan), and his club mate Robinho, who is also pushing him in Spain. At the back, Lucio may have been the best player in the Bundesliga, and he leads a veteran back line with Spanish league stalwarts Beletti (Barcelona) and Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid).

What Could Trip Them Up: The squad's best player is probably Ronaldhino, but the Barca star went in two-footed on a tackle in the final qualifier last year, and the resulting red card has earned him a three-game suspension. In other words, he is missing the entire first round. This is compunded by the relative inexperience of fellow attacking midfielder Mancini (AS Roma) with just 4 caps, and some upheaval in the midfield, where two qualifier starters Gilberto Silva (Arsenal) and Rivaldo (Deportivo) weren't even invited to the tournament, could be an issue. Many think Juninho Pernambucano (Lyon) is ready to step in and star in the midfield.

Outlook: I can make up all the issues I want for this squad, but the fact is there isn't a team in the world that can run with them. Even with some problems here or there, this quad is a cinch for the second round and are likely to hoist their second straight World Cup in July.

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND

FIFA Ranking: #8
Region: Europe
World Cups Won: None (best team made 1990 Quarters)
South Korea-Japan 2002: 2nd round (lost to Spain on pens)
Last Time Didn't Make WC: 1998
Tournaments Won 2002-06: None

How They Got Here: 2nd place in Group 4; beat Slovenia 6-2 agg in playoff
Coach: Brian Kerr
Tactic: 4-4-2

Players To Watch: GK Shay Given (Newcastle), DM Roy Keane (Man Utd), AM L Damien Duff (Chelsea)

Team Strengths: The Irish surprising run into the FIFA Top 10 has been based on defense, largely courtesy of Given and Keane, who were both among contenders for the top European players at their positions in 2005. This is almost certain to be Keane's last go of it for the Cup, but he is still at the top of his game at 34. The defense also features the veteran presence of Gary Breen (Sunderland) in center and Steve Finnan (Liverpool) on the back wing. Centermid Kevin Kilbane (Everton) and the electrifying Duff are two more long-tested talents of this team who will be the focus of the squad's offense.

What Could Trip Them Up: There are issues up front and in their overall ahtleticism that could harpoon the Irish chances. The national papers have been all of a-struggle over Kerr's continuing insistence on using veteran striker David Connolly (Wigan) over the popular Robbie Keane (Tottenham). What put the issue before the coach was the emergence of Stephen Elliott (Sunderland), who is starting to make waves in the Premiership as a young player on the rise. Having captured a spot up front, Elliott has forced Kerr to break up Connolly and Keane, who were long time partners there. Right wing could also be an issue, where Stephen Reid (Blackburn) has struggled to break into the first team at Ewood Park. Kerr will be doing whatever he can to get rising talent Andy Reid (Tottenham) on the pitch; Reid is trapped behind Kilbane and Duff.

Outlook: No match with Brazil will go great for the Irish, but they very much outclass Honduras and Togo. It would be a major upset if they did not make their second straight second round.

HONDURAS

FIFA Ranking: #23
Region: CONCACAF
World Cups Won: None (best team first round 1982)
South Korea-Japan 2002: Didn't reach
Last Time Made WC: 1982

How They Got Here: 3rd place in Third Phase (top three plus playoff spot goes to WC)
Coach: Jose de la Paz

Players To Watch: ST Suazo (Cagliari), DC Jorge Samuel Caballero (Chicago), WG Julio Cesar Leon

Team Strengths: At this level of competition, a strength is a relative term. But Honduras does have the squad to fill a decent front six, led by Suazo up front. Leon and Edgar Anthony Alvarez (AS Roma) are a pair of technically strong wings who are threats along the sides of the pitch. The talent is more scarce at the back, but Caballero is a veteran presence, and by far the most senior member of the squad.

What Could Trip Them Up: Well, facing a team with a full squad of players in top flight European football for one. And that's going to happen when they face Brazil and Ireland. They are comparably awful on the back line, and have little hope of containing even a muddled front like Ireland's, much less a strike force the likes of which Brazil will throw at them. Not helping matters is that Coach de la Paz decided to leave dynamic midfielder Amado Guevara (Metrostars) and fullback Ivan Guerrero (Chicago) at home, for reasons the fans in Honduras would like to know. Caballero and Suazo's front line partner Ramon Nunez (Charleston) will also miss at least the first match against Brazil with the flu and a suspension, respectively.

Outlook: There is enough offensive talent here that, should the Irish have an off day in the front, the Hondurans could score a win in a low-scoring affair, and then eek their way into the second round. But that's asking a lot of a subpar back end, and even the game against Togo is no lock.

TOGO

FIFA Ranking: #29
Region: Africa
World Cups Won: None
South Korea-Japan 2002: Didn't reach
Last Time Didn't Make WC: Never made WC

How They Got Here: Won Group One, 2nd round (winners of the five groups go to WC)
Coach: Stephen Keshi

Players To Watch: ST Emmanuel Adebayor (Monaco), ST Mohamed Kader (Sochaux), FB Kodjo Afanor (Bordeaux)

Team Strengths: The strength that stands out is the star of Adebayor, who may not be a worldclass striker, but is certainly a player with the form to be respected. He has played on the biggest stages, and he is a threat whenever he has the ball. This could also be when Souleymane Mamam (Antwerp) shows he belongs at this level, as the teenage winger has all the skills, if not the experience, to make the impact. This is a competent team, especially in the midfield and at the front.

What Could Trip Them Up: Like Honduras, this is a team that relies on quality in front of the half line, but struggles in its own end. A high end attack like Brazil's is likely to obliterate it. The most critical match Togo will play, though, at least in the first round, is the first one against Ireland. They need to win that to have a chance--and they will have to do it without Adebayor, who is suspended for the match.

Outlook: The loss of Adebayor in the Ireland match will likely be much like the loss of Antonio Gates to the Chargers in Week One this year, costing Togo a chance at the next round. His presence is enough of a threat to make Togo dangerous if the Irish are off form, but his absence will make Togo's task extremely difficult. Still, even if they don't advance, the future looks brighter for Togo, is they have a number of godo young players who should make for a tough squad out of Africa for the next several years.