Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Dynasty Reports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #1
daedalus
Pro Rookie

[FM] Where for art thou, Le Professor?

And so it is that I am taking over the reign of the Arsenal Football Club. Arsene Wenger needed to take a break from the sport and, having been in conversation for a time, he asked for me to take control of the club while he is on leave. Officially, the reason I'm taking over instead of Pat Rice is to make sure the structure that was in place remains in place without much changing. Personally, I have a feeling that I'll be easier to remove than Mr Rice will be when time is up.

We'll see.

-----

Uncommon to our normal operation, I am given a transfer budget of ₤24M to go with a wage budget of approximately ₤1.2M per week. I can't complain much. My own contract is a bit more modest at ₤42.000 per week. Not to be scoffed at, to be sure. And especially not for running the finest football club in the world.

-----

I intend to keep the same low key approach that Arsene always had, along with the same ideology with regards to careful spending. That said, I WILL make the buys if I feel like it will help the team. Regardless of age. I also intend to make a bigger foray into South America than Arsene did. I think that has quite a bit of untapped and, more importantly, cheap talents.

-----

I have always been in favour of having enough personnel to take care of the jobs that need to be done. So I immediately place advertisements for coaches, scouts and physiotherapists. I don't have any intention of getting rid of the ones we have . . . yet. I just want to have more support staff to allow them to their to job right. If they ARE doing it right.

daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 12:48 AM   #2
daedalus
Pro Rookie

The first person at the club I chose to speak to is Thierry Henry. Titi will be the key to EVERYTHING here. If I can get his support, I'm good to go. If not, well, let's just say that it'll be hard to complain about making ₤42.000 for sitting on my ass. He's receptive, if hesitant. But he's willing to give me a chance. With his support, I'm ready to rock and roll.

-----

I speak to the rest of the players one-on-one. With some of the young players, I asked a few of them to practice on a different position than is natural to them. Some to increase their versatility and some just so that they could sharpen up the skills that they have rudimentary knowledge of.

-----

With all that in mind, I set about going after some of the people I had always felt that Arsene should have chased.

Freddy Guarin's and Carlos Tevez's names comes immediate to my mind and I contact their respective clubs, although Freddy is currently at Boca in Argentina on loan. If the money is there, I may go after Javier Mascherano as well. He was once one of our target while at River Plate and, while his height - or, more appropriately, lack thereof - will hurt a bit in the midfield, I expect his skill to make up for it.

I send out feelers for the Anderlecht tandem of Anthony Vanden Borre and Vincent Kompany. They're a talented pair and we could use the depth on the defensive side of things. Kompany would also bring a new dimension to our defensive corp that we don't presently feature: an offensive-minded centreback.

While glancing through my notes, I suddenly remember an article that brought a pair of South African to my attention. The Orlando Pirates pair of Lebohang Mokoena and Benedict Vilakazi are said to be extremely talented attackers with Mokoena being the finisher to the creativity of Vilakazi. I shoot out an email to their club secretary to see what can be done to bring them over to Highbury.

Keeping our goalkeeping situation in mind, I remember Timo Hildebrand having thoughts of moving abroad and send out a feeler to Stuttgart to see what, if anything, we can arrange.

As I do my final scan of the transfer wire, I noticed Cristiano Zanetti's name on there. Although not as good in the air as I would like, the talented Italian internation definite has the skillset I would like from my defensive midfielder. This would give me coverage if anything happened to Gilberto Silva.

----

Faxes are burning out, emails are piling up, phones with 3 lines are ringing off the hook and people are screaming across hallways. And, of course, my first transfer would be a Nengomashe. That is, unless you want to try his full name of Tinashe Washington Nengomashe. The 22 year old, formerly of South Africa side Kaizer Chief, is a defensive midfielder from Zimbabwe. According to my scouts, his defensive skills are off the chart. The only thing they could find to knock him for would be pedestrian ability in the air. Heck, I could live with that. That and perhaps his offensive skill. As in lack thereof. Nothing. None. Nil. But, hey, that's what I have those guys with the pretty shoes for. He's here to make the OTHER team's guys with with pretty shoes unhappy.

With all that going on, our second transfer is in the form of player-coach Jorg Stiel. The former Switzerland international intends to be retire in July and, since he's eligible to be a coach, I thought I would try to secure his service early. Not to mention that it WOULD be nice to have an emergency goalkeeper in case Mad Jens goes nuts. As we fully expect him to.

The transfers are coming hot and heavy now, baby! We have had Brazillian goalkeeper Rubinho - that's Rubens Fernando Moedim, if you see him on the street - on trial for a week or so and our staff was sufficiently happy with his skillset and recommended that we make a move to hang onto the 22 year old. Not a great one-on-one player, the only thing my staff is really down on him about is his mediocre throwing ability. Alright, we'll have him kick the ball when he gets them. Maybe a pedalada or two, if he wants. Whatever. That gives me a bit of reassurance that when Jens does his "thing" again, I'll have semi-competent coverage. Since I'm not sure how Elbonian, er, Estonian Mart Poom will be panning out after a year and a half of inactivity. Add to that, Rubinho also carries an Italian passport so he will not count against the EU limit in games. Rah.

-----

By word of mouth (y'know, somebody knew somebody who knew the hairdresser of the guy whose sister's ex-boyfriend's brother-in-law saw a game the kid may have played . . . once), I took a flyer on a young French sweeper Alexandre Barthe. Alex is a fair bit away from first team action . . . okay, quite a ways away, but he's got some talent to build on. Let's build.

Next up is another defensive midfielder, this time Belgian Karel Geraerts. The 23 year old previously suited up for Standard de Liege and joined us on a deal worth ₤2M. Though not as skilled defensively as Nengomashe, Geraerts is more technically sound offensively and has the ability to move out wide to the right side of the midfield, if needed.

The next good news came with the notes to let me know that both of the Pirates twins, Lebohang Mokoena and Benedict Vilakazi, have been granted conditional permit to join us. Mokoena will be up front, augmenting our striking squad, while Vilakazi will be featured in the midfield, joining Cesc as the more offensively-minded of our midfielders.

-----

Well, word came that Cristiano Zanetti has chosen to join Stuttgart on a loan deal instead of us. Fool. Oh, well, not like we're exactly hurting for defensive midfielders. Especially, not with both Garaerts and Nengomashe on board.

Our repeated attempts to get Corinthians to let us make a play on Tevez have been failures so far. Damn it.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 PM   #3
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

I really hope you keep updating this, I found it to be some great reading, well written

Have you played any friendlies yet, or you're just shopping players around?

Looking forward to more.

FM
Old 11-10-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Movin' into it now.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:15 AM   #5
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Finally, we've come to my fist game in charge: a televised friendly with an amateur side Yesilyurt. We had bright moments, with Dennis scoring 2 and Theirry scoring 1 in the first half. We had moments where we looked dangerous. But we also had long spells where we simply looked lost and rather lifeless. That won't do against a higher class of opponent. Our attackers seemed to have had a tough time beating their defenders with the ball. We will absolutely NEED that once we get into league and European play. The new players had some moments where they shined. Hlebs definitely showed flashes of brilliance.

-----

Cardiff wants Quincy (MD) Owusu Abeyie on loan until New Year. I want him to get first team action. I don't particularly like that their facility is only adequate but at least it's first team action in the Coke League. I let him go with the provision that I can recall him, if needed.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:17 AM   #6
daedalus
Pro Rookie

For our next match, we're visiting Halle, a semi-pro team in Germany. The lads looked really good in this game. Titi notched two, one a follow-up on Kolo's long-range attempt and the other on a classic run-past-everybody-and-abuse-the-keeper Thierry Henry run. The second half group kept the momentum going, though were not as dangerous as the first XI. Good run out.

-----

Having heard through the usual grapevine (y'know, World Soccer magazine) about the offer that Fulham made to Hearts for goalkeeper Craig Gordon, we naturally inquired into his availability. When we heard the ₤375K asking price, we were quite happy to obliged. The 22 year old Scot seems to have all the tools needed to succeed as a goalkeeper, other than his ability to take on attackers one-on-one and deliver kicks which seems to be suspect. I can live with that, perhaps.

Also joining us, now that he has received his temporary permit, is Argentinian forward Rodrigo Palacio. The 23 year old former Boca man has all the physical, mental and technical tools I could ask for, with plenty to spare. It would be nice if he could become more clinical with his finishing and slightly cleaner with his first touch but we all have room for improvement, y'know? I consider the ₤2.6M a worthwhile gamble.

The latest new member to the club is Greek international Vasilis Tsiartas. The 32 year old experienced midfielder is not expected to start or log a great deal of time wit the fist team. Rather, he will be asked to provide the depth I would expect us to need in the long run, especially as my expectation of the team includes deep runs into both domestic cups and into European play.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:18 AM   #7
daedalus
Pro Rookie

The third of our friendly is with German-side SV Eintracht Trier 05. With most of the first teamers already in match fitness, a number of the second and third choices, including the trialists, received a run out. The trialists looked solid enough that I will offer them a contract of some sort. In the second half, we had nice runs by Anthony Stokes and Ryan Smith . . . until Smith got himself hurt. Again. Turned out to be a torned groin muscle that will be keeping him out for a month to two. Other than that, it went well.

-----

Next on the docket is a friendly in Wales against semi-professional side Afan Lido. As the majority of the first team are resting and the majority of the second team are tired from the match a few days prior, we're fielding a bit of a ragtag bunch to test them out. As expected, the result is not the best. Amazingly, Nicki Bendtner and Anthony Stokes combined for a game-winning goal, 5 minutes from time and we pulled out the 2-1 victory. Results in friendlies aren't a big deal but it is good to see fights from the lads.

-----

Our next transfer news comes in the form of 35 year old Dutch flamboyant midfielder, Barry van Galen. Given the age of Van Galen, I can undestand the supporters lack of enthusiasm at this transfer. However, I expect to have and intend to use a lot of depth during the season. I intend to train the players hard and I expect them to give 100% everytime they are out there. That means fresh bodies out there on the pitch. He's got the skills to deliver and a ₤500K investment is worth it, in my opinion.

Hot on the heel of that news is the one I've been waiting for for awhile: Freddy Guarin has received his temporary permit. As his loan at Boca is until July, he will not be joining us until then. That's okay. It will simply give the rest of the new boys a chance to settle in.

Feeling uncomfortable with limited protection on the right side of the midfield with Freddie's past history with injury, I looked around and felt like our old friend Anderlecht was a good place to look. 25 year old Swede Christian Wilhelmson is comfortable operating across the midfield as well as occasionally filling in up front. While he doesn't immediately pop out at you, he also is strong in the skillset necessary on the wing or in the attack without any major holes. At ₤2.5M, I definitely consider him a solid insurance against injuries.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:13 PM   #8
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I'm wondering when will 'Rafa' join the Gunners...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Soon as I can afford to sneak him out of Germany.

Last edited by daedalus : 11-14-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:04 AM   #10
daedalus
Pro Rookie

I tried more than a few times to get Sneijder as well without luck. Unless somebody else sneak in before I do, I'll be trying again. He's one of the few I've ever seen with the tag of cultured attacking midfielder (I've seen the "cultured" tag before including on midfielders, just not with an "attacking midfielder").
Old 12-25-2005, 03:58 PM   #11
Christomir
n00b

Van der Vaart and Sneijder are my favorite midfield duo (except Davids and Seedorf).

Hey, Daedalus, do you plan on actually continuing this thread/dynasty? I like your sense of humour in your posts on Eaglesfan27's threads and I would really enjoy it being implemented here as well
Christomir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:08 PM   #12
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19
Soon as I can afford to sneak him out of Germany.
Sadly, he just signed a new contract with HSV. So that killed my chance to sign him on unprotected contract and I usually don't spend big bucks.

Still no luck on Sneijder. He also just tore his cruciate ligament and is currently on an 8 months injury. Ouch.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:34 AM   #13
daedalus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christomir
Van der Vaart and Sneijder are my favorite midfield duo (except Davids and Seedorf).
Davids was my 2nd big buy in 01/02 [Henrik Larsson was my first in the 1st season]. He ended up partnering either Vieira or Van Bommel depending on the games before Rafa arrived. Then it was Van der Vaart-Vieira/Davids-Vam Bommel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christomir
Hey, Daedalus, do you plan on actually continuing this thread/dynasty? I like your sense of humour in your posts on Eaglesfan27's threads and I would really enjoy it being implemented here as well
I had notes for the first season but didn't update them here since it wasn't really read except by me occasionally. It was fun taking the notes for awhile, though. I had to replay about a year's worth (around February to December) of game time when my save game went kaput and didn't re-do the notes for that or the new second season.

I ended up signing about 50 or so players on July 1st, mostly on free transfer.

Some of the more notable transfers included Olivier Kapo, who came over for ₤3.1M because Juve didn't want him, and Freddy Adu, who came for ₤3.2M. Sebastien Frey was unwanted or unhappy at Parma and ended up coming over for ₤525K, which is a heck of a bargain since he finally gives me the sweeper-keeper I like. The more notable free signees were Claudio Lopez, Stefano Fiore, Alvaro Recoba, George Boateng and Matthew Upson.

Probably only of interest to Frogger but I managed to snag Jonathan de Guzman eventually to get myself a Canookian to go with an American (Adu). Still working on Giuseppi Rossi, however.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 AM   #14
FrogMan
Hattrick Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus
Probably only of interest to Frogger but I managed to snag Jonathan de Guzman eventually to get myself a Canookian to go with an American (Adu). Still working on Giuseppi Rossi, however.

hehe, what year is that though? He's kinda youngish in 2005 and I'd have a hard time believing he'd get a work permit with as little international experience as he has...

FM
Old 12-26-2005, 11:01 AM   #15
daedalus
Pro Rookie

It's '07 now. It also took me to go to appeal to get him a work permit. I think the additional "reputation" has helped. In FM '05 demo, I couldn't get a permit for him no matter how hard I tried.