Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-01-2015, 10:47 AM   #1
Logan
Head Coach

2015 College Football Coach Hiring Thread

Last year, we consolidated all the discussion into one thread and figured with Conference Championship week about to start, better to migrate the talk here.

To recap, there are currently 13 FBS openings:

P5:
Georgia
Miami
South Carolina
Missouri
Virginia
Maryland
Rutgers
Syracuse

G5:
Memphis
Toledo
Tulane
North Texas
Louisiana Monroe

Major spots that have been filled:

USC: Helton
Virginia Tech: Fuente
UCF: Frost
Iowa State: Campbell
Illinois: Cubit

Let me know if I left anything out.

Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
QuikSand
lolzcat

There's buzz around Maryland that they want to make a splash hire (well, who doesn't, I know). MD has a big $ benefactor in Kevin Plank of Under Armour (who has an obvious Nike envy issue) so there's some intriguing potential there, perhaps more so than the run-of-the-mill big conference doormat program.

Syracuse was wooing Frost, but dallied it appears, or else just got outbid by a warmer climate. I don't see any real sign of life there to speak of, unless they just get lucky and the pan loads up with gold somehow.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
There's buzz around Maryland that they want to make a splash hire (well, who doesn't, I know). MD has a big $ benefactor in Kevin Plank of Under Armour (who has an obvious Nike envy issue) so there's some intriguing potential there, perhaps more so than the run-of-the-mill big conference doormat program.

Had read that too, but then DJ Durkin seemed to emerge as the top candidate at least until they got connected to Richt in the last day or so. Not saying at all that Durkin can't be a good one, but it seemed very different than that initial report that Bill O'Brien was interested.

I think I like Mike Sanford as the most intriguing coordinator candidate at this point.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:04 AM   #4
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Rumor around Athens last night was Richt would meet with Maryland on Thursday.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

One of the Atlanta TV stations just posted a suggestion that UGA hire ... Mike Bobo.

I'm STILL laughing my ass off at that notion. What a glorious trainwreck that'd be to observe.

For those unfamiliar, the only assistant I can think of who was ever more reviled by a fan base would have been Willie Martinez (who, honestly, I'm surprised someone didn't take a shot at).

Him back in Athens would be a delicious disaster to watch play out, so I can't imagine I'd ever get that lucky.

edit to add: The suggestion, btw, was tied to this report that he interviewed at Mizzou
http://georgia.247sports.com/Bolt/Re...cancy-41609932

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-01-2015 at 03:42 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #6
MrBug708
Head Coach

Anyone interested in Mazzone?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:52 PM   #7
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Davis, Schiano, Mullen, and Richt are interviewing for the Miami job.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:59 PM   #8
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

It sounds like Syracuse will hire Ash, the co-DC from OSU. This is about the most unexciting hire ever and I think the fan base (what is left) is going to revolt.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM   #9
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Had read that too, but then DJ Durkin seemed to emerge as the top candidate at least until they got connected to Richt in the last day or so. Not saying at all that Durkin can't be a good one, but it seemed very different than that initial report that Bill O'Brien was interested.

I think I like Mike Sanford as the most intriguing coordinator candidate at this point.

It's assumed here that Durkin will get a major offer somewhere during this cycle given what he accomplished before running out of healthy defensive linemen.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #10
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Miami seems to be leaning Richt now. I'd be delighted with that hire.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:57 PM   #11
Bisbo
H.S. Freshman Team

Fuente is a great signing by Virginia Tech.
Bisbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Miami seems to be leaning Richt now. I'd be delighted with that hire.

Don't know how anyone wouldn't be. Seems the question with him now is if he actually wants to take one of these positions he's been looking into.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #13
clemsonfan
High School JV

Smart to UGA reported by AJC.com
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:45 PM   #14
FBPro
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan View Post
Smart to UGA reported by AJC.com

Heard that as well.....
GM Tennessee Titans FOWL 2020-2025
FBPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #15
Atocep
Coordinator

Supposedly Muschamp is joining the staff as DC. Tyson Helton as OC.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:00 PM   #16
Atocep
Coordinator

And now the SC board saying Muschamp is going to be the hire there.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #17
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

I will be surprised if Tyson doesn't end up at USC.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:16 AM   #18
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post

Helton has long been the rumor, but I'll say again it would make no sense to hire Muschamp. Smart is going to run the defense, and Muschamp is going to want autonomy. They are friends, but I don't think that would be a fit.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:10 AM   #19
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
...but I'll say again it would make no sense to hire Muschamp. Smart is going to run the defense, and Muschamp is going to want autonomy. They are friends, but I don't think that would be a fit.

It might work for a season or two while Smart is getting his feet wet.

Anyone else get the feeling that with Smart moving on from Alabama, that Saban has decided to stay there a while longer?
Old 12-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #20
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

I'm hearing Billy Napier to UGA as OC.
Would be a GREAT hire if so. Billy'sdad is a25+ year Georgia hs head football coach, and Billy is a great recruiter. Only concern is he favors a priest/power I offense to what UGA should run in the spread.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:41 AM   #21
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
I'm hearing Billy Napier to UGA as OC.
Would be a GREAT hire if so. Billy'sdad is a25+ year Georgia hs head football coach, and Billy is a great recruiter. Only concern is he favors a priest/power I offense to what UGA should run in the spread.

Napier is the name I heard very early. He actually looks like a great fit.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #22
Easy Mac

I wish Furman would hire Napier as head coach. If they're going to insist on having alums as coach, at least get someone who has shown he can recruit kids who can actually play.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:25 AM   #23
digamma
Torchbearer

If message board rumors are to be believed, there is going to be an all out war between the states (of Georgia and Alabama) for the services of current Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scotty Cochran. (Look him up.)
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:35 AM   #24
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
If message board rumors are to be believed, there is going to be an all out war between the states (of Georgia and Alabama) for the services of current Alabama strength and conditioning coach Scotty Cochran. (Look him up.)

IIRC his name was mentioned in the same first breath with Napier as being the guys Strong wanted to bring with him.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #25
Logan
Head Coach

Multiple people reporting DJ Durkin to Maryland.
Old 12-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #26
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
It sounds like Syracuse will hire Ash, the co-DC from OSU. This is about the most unexciting hire ever and I think the fan base (what is left) is going to revolt.

Now I'm hearing this was a bit of a smokescreen and Dino Babers is the guy, but he has a game Friday night. Possibly Ash to Rutgers.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 12-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #27
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post

Quote:

Syracuse was wooing Frost, but dallied it appears, or else just got outbid by a warmer climate. I don't see any real sign of life there to speak of, unless they just get lucky and the pan loads up with gold somehow.

Ash has apparently now pulled himself out of the running, and the current leading candidate is reported to be Dino Babers from Bowling Green. That appears to be the guy the fanbase was hoping for. Which I guess tells you state of Syracuse football these days.

Syracuse Football: Chris Ash Out of Running, Dino Babers New Favorite for Orange Coach - Troy Nunes Is An Absolute Magician

It'd be the first time Syracuse hired a head football coach with previous head coaching experience at Division 1 or higher since Dick McPherson in 1980. There's only been 4 head coaches since then, but that's kind of a weird stat.

Last edited by molson : 12-02-2015 at 03:41 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:41 PM   #28
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post

You don't have to look Scott Cochran up...
Just like Tommy Moffitt another of the Gayle Hatch disciples. Brought Olympic lifting into mainstream football strength training.

I know Urban tried to get him to Ohio state. ...I've heard he will never leave Satan we will see.

He's a 2.5 million a year guy though....
Old 12-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #29
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
IIRC his name was mentioned in the same first breath with Napier as being the guys Strong wanted to bring with him.

Yeah, Cochran has always been rumored to go with Kirby, even before this when he was mentioned for other jobs. They are close, and have a long agreement. Interestingly, the current strength and condition coach is Cochran's former assistant. It'd be funny if UGA traded Smart and Cochran for two of their former assistants.
Old 12-02-2015, 04:57 PM   #30
GrantDawg

Schlabach is saying Richt is "100%" going to Miami. Will be announced tomorrow or Friday.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:19 PM   #31
Logan
Head Coach

If Ash ends up at Rutgers, I won't really be able to opine on it until I figure out what his offensive philosophy would be and who he would look to bring in to run the offense. I like a young guy under Meyer who is an Xs and Os guy with a ring on his finger, but I would have preferred someone with experience running a program.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:39 PM   #32
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
If Ash ends up at Rutgers, I won't really be able to opine on it until I figure out what his offensive philosophy would be and who he would look to bring in to run the offense. I like a young guy under Meyer who is an Xs and Os guy with a ring on his finger, but I would have preferred someone with experience running a program.

Would I have preferred someone with experience? Sure, but Rutgers isn't going to pay for the guys with good experience, so you are left with a retread. Al Golden's name got thrown out a lot, and sure he turned Temple around, but he did it in the MAC, and he couldn't even win his division there. Cristobal is another guy who I have issue with.

I would have preferred an OC hire, but it doesn't seem there were many good fits in that direction who have east coast ties.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #33
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Looks like Muschamp is pretty far down the path with SC.

Thinking something could be announced by weekend.
Old 12-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #34
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Love the Richt to Miami U hire.

LOL at anyone thinking Dino Babers is the answer to anything.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:20 PM   #35
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Looks like Muschamp is pretty far down the path with SC.

Thinking something could be announced by weekend.

First Smart, now Muschamp.

If that deal falls through do they go after Willie Martinez for the HC job since they seem to be on a mission to get a DC with connections to UGA
Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #36
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

The best part, (this has been reported by Clemson media and I can 100% confirm this), Muschamp reached out to Clemson Co-OC and WR coach Jeff Scott to guage his interest in joining staff as OC.

For those not following following along at home not only is Jeff a Clemson grad, and was given his first shot by Dabo, not only is he extremely loyal, he is the son of Brad Scott who was fired by SC and then not paid his due money until Brad won a court case and forced SC to pay him.

"Yeah, uhhh sorry, Will. I am going to have to say no to that one."
Old 12-03-2015, 04:52 AM   #37
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Schlabach is saying Richt is "100%" going to Miami. Will be announced tomorrow or Friday.

I will reserve judgement until I see what kind of staff he puts together.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:59 AM   #38
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSimpson98 View Post
Love the Richt to Miami U hire.

Care to expand on that for us dummies? I've heard he doesn't recruit a ton and is a bad interview but would love to hear more.
Old 12-03-2015, 07:47 AM   #39
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Care to elaborate? He seems like a perfect fit for Syracuse. He has 3 years at another P5 private university and his (Baylor's) offense in a dome seems like a perfect match. Everyone else in the Northeast has a DC as their HC, so he would be something different up here, an attractive spot for offensive recruits.

Old 12-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #40
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Just gossipy really but fwiw ... says Pruitt is thinking Michigan not Miami if he's ousted in Athens.

https://www.seccountry.com/georgia/r...richt-to-miami

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 12-03-2015 at 07:54 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 PM   #41
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Dino was a massive failure at A&M when given the keys to an offense that was primed to make some waves in the early 2000s. He was completely lost and in over his head and was relieved of his OC duties about halfway through the season and fired shortly after. He isnt exactly a fan favorite, although he is held in higher regard than Dennis Franchione.

Having typed that, I do realize that the statute of limitations probably expired on pinning those failures to any future ones. Maybe he is a changed dude, ready to lead a Power 5 team. He did do well at BG
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #42
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dino was a massive failure at A&M when given the keys to an offense that was primed to make some waves in the early 2000s. He was completely lost and in over his head and was relieved of his OC duties about halfway through the season and fired shortly after. He isnt exactly a fan favorite, although he is held in higher regard than Dennis Franchione.

Having typed that, I do realize that the statute of limitations probably expired on pinning those failures to any future ones. Maybe he is a changed dude, ready to lead a Power 5 team. He did do well at BG

I think that might be why his not getting sniff of a P5 job until his mid-50s, but since that stint, he has completely adopted Briles' Baylor offense and has a good track record with it at E Ill and BG.

Thanks for the response though, I see where you are coming from.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:49 PM   #43
MrBug708
Head Coach

When Dino was at ucla he didn't have a great rep as a coach
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #44
Logan
Head Coach

Looks like Odom got the bump at Mizzou.
Old 12-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #45
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Looks like Odom got the bump at Mizzou.

It was a given... Larry (Smith) to Gary (Pinkel) to Barry (Odom). Young guy and the players love him. (Though he looks like he is sixty with his Costanza haircut) See if this is great for recruits or backfires. Our basketball hire was a major dud bringing back a true son.

Last edited by panerd : 12-03-2015 at 08:57 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #46
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
It was a given... Larry (Smith) to Gary (Pinkel) to Barry (Odom). Young guy and the players love him. (Though he looks like he is sixty with his Costanza haircut) See if this is great for recruits or backfires. Our basketball hire was a major dud bringing back a true son.

The difference being that the basketball program was a complete rebuild.

Coach Pinkel has already told Odom that he will help out wherever he needs it. That's a huge difference from the basketball program where the previous coach left to avoid being fired.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 10:32 PM   #47
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Toledo hires from within with OC Jason Candle
Old 12-04-2015, 04:38 PM   #48
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Wow - Bronco Mendenhall to Virginia. Did not see that coming...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 04:43 PM   #49
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Wow - Bronco Mendenhall to Virginia. Did not see that coming...

Yeah, just posted pretty much the same surprise myself.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:47 PM   #50
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am sick...

If I could pick a coach to replace him that fits the BYU mold...Kalani Sitake. But I don't think that happens.

Last edited by MacroGuru : 12-04-2015 at 04:47 PM.
MacroGuru is offline   Reply With Quote