Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #1
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Why I now hate the Jaguars

UGA's defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder going to Jaguars; RB coach Ken Rucker to Texas

By Steve Wyche
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on:
01/10/05

Georgia defensive coordinator Brian VanGorder, who was named college football's top assistant coach in 2003, is leaving Mark Richt's staff for the Jacksonville Jaguars. He will be replaced by Willie Martinez, the Bulldogs' secondary coach.

EMAIL THIS
PRINT THIS
MOST POPULAR

"Brian VanGorder is a high-energy, detail-oriented coach with an impressive background," Jacksonville head coach Del Rio said. "He'll bring great enthusiasm and intensity. He is a good fit for our staff and for our defense."

VanGorder's position isn't the only one Richt will have to fill. Running backs coach Ken Rucker is also leaving the Bulldogs for a similar position at the University of Texas, Georgia announced today.

A press briefing has been scheduled for 4 p.m. today in Athens.

VanGorder, winner of the 2003 Broyles Award as the nation's top assistant, turned Georgia's defense into one of college football's finest in his four seasons in Athens. If Richt decides to promote someone in-house to replace him, Bulldogs secondary coach Willie Martinez is considered a strong candidate.

The Bulldogs have finished in the top 20 nationally in scoring defense in all four years under VanGorder:

-- 17th in 2001.

-- Fourth in 2002.

-- Tied for second in 2003.

-- 13th in 2004.

Thirteen Bulldog defensive players went to the NFL after playing for VanGorder and at least three more (Thomas Davis, David Pollack, Odell Thurman) are expected to join that group in April.

Van Gorder was the only assistant coach in the Georgia athletic program with a multi-year contract. During the fall, he signed a three-year deal which paid him $210,000 annually.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
GrantDawg

If you would have asked me who I would rather lose, Van Gorder or Richt, I would have said Richt. Not that Richt is a bad coach, but Van Gorder has just been amazing. I'm not really mad at him or the Jags. I hope he does well and goes all the way to the top someday. It just feels like someone punched me in the gut.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Is it too early for predictions of games this fall?

I see Boise State pulling the upset against UGa.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:11 PM   #4
Buzzbee
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg
If you would have asked me who I would rather lose, Van Gorder or Richt, I would have said Richt. Not that Richt is a bad coach, but Van Gorder has just been amazing. I'm not really mad at him or the Jags. I hope he does well and goes all the way to the top someday. It just feels like someone punched me in the gut.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Question for UGA fans:

Do you believe that Van Gorder will be able to duplicate his success in college in his new NFL gig?

From the outside looking in, I've gotten the impression that his success (which I admit has been impressive in a number of ways) is more due to his ability to motivate the kids & squeeze every drop of production out of them, than anything that he's doing scheme-wise or technique-wise. Call me cynical perhaps, but I don't believe motivation goes as far in the NFL as scheme & personnel, which is why I'm questioning whether there'll be a drop off in his perception as a coordinator.

Thoughts?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:31 PM   #6
GrantDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA
Question for UGA fans:

Do you believe that Van Gorder will be able to duplicate his success in college in his new NFL gig?

From the outside looking in, I've gotten the impression that his success (which I admit has been impressive in a number of ways) is more due to his ability to motivate the kids & squeeze every drop of production out of them, than anything that he's doing scheme-wise or technique-wise. Call me cynical perhaps, but I don't believe motivation goes as far in the NFL as scheme & personnel, which is why I'm questioning whether there'll be a drop off in his perception as a coordinator.

Thoughts?

I was actually wondering the same thing. He is a motivator, but he seems mostly to motivate by getting in the kids face. I don't know how well that is going to go over at the next level. I do wish him all the best, though. I would love to see him as a DC in the NFL someday, if that's what he wants.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:04 PM   #7
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Well, it' not like Georgia would have won a National or even SEC title anytime soon. So I'm not sure what the big deal is?
Old 01-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #8
Recoil
High School Varsity

Nice. To Hell With Georgia.
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:24 PM   #9
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil
Nice. To Hell With Georgia.

That's what I'm talking about. Welcome to the fold.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
KWhit
Coordinator

Losers.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote