Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-24-2022, 07:01 AM   #651
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Back in April, Greg Amsinger predicted he would hit #700 on the road, Friday night in September in LA. Um... nailed, it, I'd say!
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 09:05 AM   #652
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I loved the embraces with Wainright and Yadi. We may never see 3 careers in line like that ever again.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 10:07 AM   #653
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Back in April, Greg Amsinger predicted he would hit #700 on the road, Friday night in September in LA. Um... nailed, it, I'd say!

At least it was off a pitcher in Bickford, and not off Hanser Alberto, a third basemen, who came in late to pitch in the blowout. Cool that it was in LA with him being a part of the Dodgers run last year. He's had a wild career.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:25 PM   #654
tarcone
Coordinator

Judge leading off strikes out looking on 3 straight fastballs.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:05 PM   #655
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
At least it was off a pitcher in Bickford, and not off Hanser Alberto, a third basemen, who came in late to pitch in the blowout. Cool that it was in LA with him being a part of the Dodgers run last year. He's had a wild career.

Definitely weird to see Pujols in Cardinal red and not Dodger blue.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 03:39 PM   #656
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Angel Hernandez is such garbage
Old 09-26-2022, 12:07 PM   #657
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
It works out nicely that all the steroid-era HR "records" coincidently happened to be in the NL.

And I love that we have all agreed to just celebrate the AL Home Run record (when/if he gets it) as if it were the MLB home record while being careful to call it the AL record.

Though, let's be honest, if it was, say, Byron Buxton and not a Yankee, we wouldn't be hearing nearly as much.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 12:16 PM   #658
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

Though, let's be honest, if it was, say, Byron Buxton and not a Yankee, we wouldn't be hearing nearly as much.

SI

My first thought was “does Buxton even have 60 hits?”

And he does, but barely.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:09 PM   #659
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Never seen anything like this. 3 balks called in one at bat against the Marlins pitcher tonight. So weird.
Old 09-27-2022, 11:25 PM   #660
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Never seen anything like this. 3 balks called in one at bat against the Marlins pitcher tonight. So weird.

The first one was a blatant balk while the next two were balks that most pitchers get away with. Still balks though.

Bleier has always seemed like a grade-a douche. Not the least bit sorry.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:38 AM   #661
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I’m going to have to see the jomboy breakdown of that with lip reading. I don’t see why those were balks, especially the last two. He’s thrown almost 300 ML innings without a balk.
Old 10-01-2022, 07:35 PM   #662
tarcone
Coordinator

Albert is 3 RBIs away from Babe Ruth.

It amazing what this man did in his career.

Old 10-01-2022, 09:41 PM   #663
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Braves back in first, with another gene versus the Mets tomorrow. Been a crazy race for the division.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:42 AM   #664
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Old 10-03-2022, 05:58 PM   #665
tarcone
Coordinator

Awesome. Its going to be impossible to replace Yadi.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:08 PM   #666
tarcone
Coordinator

Albert just hit a 2 run homer to move to 2nd all time in RBIs with 2216.

They just did a side by side comparison to Babe Ruth. Identical careers

Old 10-03-2022, 07:11 PM   #667
tarcone
Coordinator

And just passed Barry Bonds to lead in go ahead homeruns with 263.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:15 AM   #668
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Interesting development with the NL East. Braves only need one win to clinch, so they likely get it tonight or tomorrow.

BUT

If they get swept by Miami that means the Mets can sweep the Nats and win the division.

BUT

Mets were rained out last nigh with the remains of Ian coming through. I has been pouring here for 2 days now and won't let up until tomorrow evening at earliest. Last nights game was rescheduled as part of a double header today, there is zero chance those games happen. Wild card starts Friday, so if the Braves get swept best case scenario is Mets get in a game LATE tomorrow and a double header Thursday, assuming they don't lose the game Wednesday night. The interesting thing becomes if the Braves get swept, and the Mets can't play tomorrow either they literally have to at least plan for 3 games, which wouldn't be possible. They should have seen this as a possibility and moved the Mets series to a dome or another city.

It would literally be the most Mets thing for the Braves to get swept and the Mets to lose game 162 while getting no rest and still having to play the WC game Friday with a burned out pen and their starters not lined up.

Last edited by Lathum : 10-04-2022 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:59 AM   #669
Swaggs
Coordinator

Every once in awhile, I take those sporcle quizzes about the Pirates, where they will ask you to name leaders in stats or if you can name all the players from certain seasons.

2022 is going to be one of those seasons that I will struggle to get half. I just read that relief pitcher Nick Mears was the 68th player to appear in a game for them this year (the record is 69 by the Cubs, set last season).

I probably won't even be able to remember more than two of their catchers (The Who's Who of players that have caught for them this season: Jason Delay, Michael Perez, Tyler Heineman, Roberto Perez, Andrew Knapp, Jose Godoy, Zack Collins, and Josh Van Meter). Amazing.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 03:38 PM   #670
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Can't believe Mets are playing in this
Old 10-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #671
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Every once in awhile, I take those sporcle quizzes about the Pirates, where they will ask you to name leaders in stats or if you can name all the players from certain seasons.

2022 is going to be one of those seasons that I will struggle to get half. I just read that relief pitcher Nick Mears was the 68th player to appear in a game for them this year (the record is 69 by the Cubs, set last season).

I probably won't even be able to remember more than two of their catchers (The Who's Who of players that have caught for them this season: Jason Delay, Michael Perez, Tyler Heineman, Roberto Perez, Andrew Knapp, Jose Godoy, Zack Collins, and Josh Van Meter). Amazing.

Isn’t Reynolds the answer to basically every question though? Off the top of my head him and maybe the ever injured Hayes are the only ones that qualify for the batting title. I would assume Keller leads in innings and nobody has more than 125 of those.

It does seem like they could have a semblance of an offense next year as Reynolds/Suwinski/Hayes/Cruz/Castro should approach league average or better. Maybe.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:44 PM   #672
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

I'm getting to that point with the Cubs now with their shift to being a small market team. Every week they have a new 29-year-old career minor leaguer pitching for them. I follow their minor league prospects and I still don't even know half these guys they are calling up.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 07:18 PM   #673
tarcone
Coordinator

Albert is top 10 in every positive offensive category.

Last edited by tarcone : 10-04-2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:32 PM   #674
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Judge hit 62.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:02 PM   #675
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

cmon Marlins!!
Old 10-04-2022, 08:48 PM   #676
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Isn’t Reynolds the answer to basically every question though? Off the top of my head him and maybe the ever injured Hayes are the only ones that qualify for the batting title. I would assume Keller leads in innings and nobody has more than 125 of those.

It does seem like they could have a semblance of an offense next year as Reynolds/Suwinski/Hayes/Cruz/Castro should approach league average or better. Maybe.

I feel like Reynolds would be a Bernie Williams-type “star” if he played on a good team. He sees about five good pitches to hit per week and makes the most of it. I know we don’t care about RBI totals, but having almost 30 homers and less than 75 RBI is just hard to believe.

Hayes somehow has a 4.0 WAR this season, but apparently has a negative launch angle (from what I read) and can’t seem to get it fixed.

Suwinski, Cruz, and Castro would probably all be solid starters by now if they had the Cardinals or Rays staffs working with them. I think we will be lucky if one of the three figures out command of the strike zone while playing for us.
Old 10-04-2022, 08:52 PM   #677
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Braves win the NL East. Fifth year in a row.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Last edited by GrantDawg : 10-04-2022 at 08:53 PM.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:57 PM   #678
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Congrats to the Braves. Can't even say the Mets blew it, they played at a great pace, the Braves have just been out of this world. So like the Mets to win 100 games and not win the division.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:07 PM   #679
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I feel like Reynolds would be a Bernie Williams-type “star” if he played on a good team. He sees about five good pitches to hit per week and makes the most of it. I know we don’t care about RBI totals, but having almost 30 homers and less than 75 RBI is just hard to believe.

Hayes somehow has a 4.0 WAR this season, but apparently has a negative launch angle (from what I read) and can’t seem to get it fixed.

Suwinski, Cruz, and Castro would probably all be solid starters by now if they had the Cardinals or Rays staffs working with them. I think we will be lucky if one of the three figures out command of the strike zone while playing for us.

It all comes back to Bob not selling the team -but- in spite of this being a horrible season I can see them maybe being decent sooner than later. Cruz probably eventually needs to go to an OF corner. Maybe Suwinski gets better. Suddenly you have 85+ homer potential out of the outfield. They still have 3 years of Reynolds which is pretty cool. Maybe they can keep him for at least 2 of those years.

Maybe Hayes will learn to hit again. Castro might have low 20s homer potential at 2b. Newman could always split time with Cruz or even eventually Peguero at short. They can maybe find a 1b. At least they’ve finally figured out they should get a bunch of left handed hitters with that porch.

Pitching is still a sewer but at least Keller has been decent. Kind of hoping they fire Shelton and the rest of the staff because developmentally they’ve failed a lot of these guys.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:22 PM   #680
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Congrats to the Braves. Can't even say the Mets blew it, they played at a great pace, the Braves have just been out of this world. So like the Mets to win 100 games and not win the division.

Yeah this wasn't like previous Mets meltdowns. They were on 100 win pace most of the year and are going to finish there. The Braves just played ridiculous baseball the last 2/3 of the season.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #681
Swaggs
Coordinator

I saw on Twitter that the Pirates are honoring Pujols and Molina. I feel like they must be hoping that guarantees that they are retiring, so we never have to face them again. I had the thought that Pujols probably has better career numbers, just vs the Pirates, than any Pirates' offensive player has for their entire career.

Here's his line vs Pittsburgh (tracked down through Baseball Reference, which somehow has every possible statistic you can ever imagine if you know where to look):
254 for 717 with 100 walks and 78 Ks. .354/.438/.677. OPS of 1.112. 57 HR with 172 RBI in 198 games.

His OPS vs the Bucs is the highest vs any other team (next closest is 1.081 vs the Nationals). I also noticed that his OPS is over 1.000 vs every NL Central team except the Cubs, where it is .999.

Quite a career. So long and farewell!
Old 10-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #682
tarcone
Coordinator

One of the greatest moments of the season was when Marmol took Wainwright out of his last start and took Molina and Pujols as well. WOE. I still get goosebumps. One of the greatest baseball moments I will never forget.

Old 10-06-2022, 12:53 AM   #683
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Alex Stumpf

@AlexJStumpf
I asked Derek Shelton if 100 losses has an impact on the development of what the Pirates are trying to build.

“It has no impact.”
Old 10-06-2022, 08:17 AM   #684
Swaggs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Alex Stumpf

@AlexJStumpf
I asked Derek Shelton if 100 losses has an impact on the development of what the Pirates are trying to build.

“It has no impact.”

I enjoyed this one: “I think we’re in good shape,” Shelton said.

Maybe don't say that on the day you finish the season at 62-100. Maybe keep that to yourself.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:05 PM   #685
Jas_lov
College Starter

Might wanna take him out, Marmol. He's only walked 4 guys.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #686
JPhillips
General Manager

Nick Krall said the Reds 100 loss season was, "unacceptable," but also that next year the team will run out the same players.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:26 PM   #687
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Might wanna take him out, Marmol. He's only walked 4 guys.

Nah, he was doing fine

SI

Old 10-07-2022, 05:08 PM   #688
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I don't know how I feel about this new format, but it is pretty cool that no matter what there will be 4 elimination games tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #689
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Max already frustrated with several pitches that were borderline called balls.

I can already see where this is going to go, Mets hitters going to press from the start and swing at several pitches from Darvish in the dirt
Old 10-07-2022, 08:05 PM   #690
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mets Twitter is something else right now
Old 10-07-2022, 11:02 PM   #691
Ksyrup

3 out of 4 visiting teams won today.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 10-08-2022, 06:31 PM   #692
JPhillips
General Manager

Hoy shit, Mariners!
Old 10-08-2022, 07:22 PM   #693
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Oh man, poor Jays

SI

Old 10-09-2022, 10:35 AM   #694
Ksyrup

The Phillies have been the lone bright spot in an otherwise ultra-shitty sports weekend.
Old 10-09-2022, 12:06 PM   #695
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Even though it was probably lost in a sea of football for a lot of people, the last two days have delivered some great baseball drama. There were only 2 games that were laughers: Mets/Pads on Friday and then Jays/Ms yesterday... only the second one turned into a giant comeback.

* Indians/Rays was awesome pitchers duels with no team up by more than 1 run the entire series
* M's kindof felt in control in game 1 against the Jays but Toronto had traffic all night and could never push runs across. I started watching less of Game 2 when it hit 8-1 but then the M's started chipping away and made a huge comeback with high drama in the 8th.
* Phils had their comeback on Friday when the Cards imploded. Then they were buoyed by great pitching Saturday but, again, lots of traffic on the bases for St. Louis. And Pujols and Molina singled to end their long, illustrious careers.
* Mets/Pads game 1 was mostly a snoozer. Yesterday was close until the Mets put up 4 in the bottom of the 7th but, even with that, San Diego had the tying run at the plate in the 9th. And they get a game 3 all to themselves on primetime tonight.

SI

Old 10-09-2022, 06:13 PM   #696
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Not only are these delays the Padres are pulling at the plate bush league, it makes it a tough watch.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #697
Atocep
Coordinator

It feels like, outside of the 7th inning last night, the Mets have gotten zero breaks so far in this series.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:53 PM   #698
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
It feels like, outside of the 7th inning last night, the Mets have gotten zero breaks so far in this series.

Can't walk the 7 and 8 hitter then give up a hit to the 9 hitter on an 0-2 count.
Old 10-09-2022, 06:54 PM   #699
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

The thing is trailing by 2 runs in the second inning shouldn't feel insurmountable but it does.
Old 10-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #700
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Offense is totally flat.