Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Fallout 4: New Vegas announced

Fallout: New Vegas announced - News at GameSpot

Quote:
Released in October of last year, Fallout 3 was met with critical acclaim and commercial success, having shipped 4.7 million units worldwide in its first week. The game also performed well in the awards circuit, taking the top honours at the 2009 Game Developers Choice Awards last month during the Game Developers Conference.

Given that performance, it comes as little surprise that Bethesda Softworks won't be dallying in bringing a follow-up to market. At an event in London today, the publisher announced that a new Fallout game will be coming to the Xbox 360, PS3, and PC in 2010. Titled Fallout: New Vegas, the game is being developed by Obsidian Entertainment, whose most recent works include Neverwinter Nights 2: Storm of Zehir and the upcoming Alpha Protocol. The studio was also at work on the third-person action title Aliens RPG before Sega canceled it earlier this year.

Obsidian Entertainment was founded in 2003 by Feargus Urquhart and others from Interplay's now-shuttered Black Isle Studios, developer of the original Fallout games. On hearing that the Fallout licence had fallen to Bethesda, Urquhart said: "Good Luck! That's probably somewhat horrible to say, but I think the team at Bethesda has their work cut out for them. This is mostly because there is almost nothing that they can do that will make the Fallout fans happy."

Fallout: New Vegas will be set in the Fallout universe but will not be a direct sequel to Fallout 3. However, it will stick to that game's RPG format, rather than branching out into real-time strategy territory as happened with 2001's Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel.

DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Fallout: The Stand?

Hm... not a huge fan of quick sequels. Sounds like Fallout 3.5

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
RainMaker
General Manager

I'd take a sequel. Fallout 3 was a great game. Vegas could be a unique landscape to play.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Not sure if it will be good but hopefully it won't be a buggy POS
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #5
jaygr
H.S. Freshman Team

I'm waiting more for the next Elder Scrolls game. I really enjoyed Morrowind and Oblivion, more so then Fallout 3 (which was still a great game). I heard once they finished Fallout they would be working on it, so while I enjoyed their latest game I hope this sequel does not delay a new Elder Scrolls.
jaygr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
SackAttack
Head Coach

As long as Obsidian are given time to do it right, this will be fine.

They weren't given that time on the last two BioWare RPGs they followed up on (KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights) and the results were...I won't call them 'ugly,' because neither were awful games, but they weren't what they coulda/shoulda been.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:08 PM   #7
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Fallout 3 was really good, a few refinements (more enemy variety, a less terrible ending) and some cool locations and this should be great.

Last edited by Big Fo : 04-20-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 11:25 PM   #8
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
They weren't given that time on the last two BioWare RPGs they followed up on (KOTOR and Neverwinter Nights) and the results were...I won't call them 'ugly,' because neither were awful games, but they weren't what they coulda/shoulda been.

It's kind of scary to me that (other than the lack of time reasoning behind it) my just turned 11 year old said almost the exact same thing.

While on the subject, I think he almost experienced an, umm, let's call it a bladder control problem at the notion of a Vegas based Fallout. He made a noise that I usually associate with small girls at the prospect.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM   #9
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
It's kind of scary to me that (other than the lack of time reasoning behind it) my just turned 11 year old said almost the exact same thing.

While on the subject, I think he almost experienced an, umm, let's call it a bladder control problem at the notion of a Vegas based Fallout. He made a noise that I usually associate with small girls at the prospect.

Heh.

Here's what you gotta understand. Without going into the time crunch issue, there's one critical aspect of Obsidian; they're basically a spinoff of Black Isle, the guys who *created* Fallout. These guys know their shit. Given the time to prove it (and I'm sorry, but even with the Fallout devs on board, Obsidian as a brand doesn't have the muscle to play the heavy to a company like LucasArts), they're capable of fine work.

A good friend of mine and long-time Fallout fan had basically the same reaction as your son, only he's closer to 30 than to 10.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #11
Big Fo
Pro Rookie

Now that's pushing the envelope. Mass Effect fanboys am cry.
Big Fo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

As a parent I'm not real thrilled about this.

As a gamer however, I'm more pissed about this
Fallout: New Vegas kills post-endgame exploration for a strong ending. Good idea or big mistake? , Fallout: New Vegas Xbox 360 News | GamesRadar
Old 08-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #13
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Wasn't this the way it worked in the first one too? I finished the game and then went back to my earliest save post-Giant Commie Hating Robot finale, went around and explored and did all the side missions that I missed, came back and then did the finale again.

I have no big problem with it. So long as the ending is actually strong and makes for a great, engaging story, I'm in.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 06:21 AM   #14
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Interesting. I've kind of gone about games like this by just doing all the side missions and exploration and saving most of the main missions till the end. Though I do like games that let you continue to explore and do stuff after it's over. I probably put in a good 10-20 hours into Just Cause 2 after beating it.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Interesting. I've kind of gone about games like this by just doing all the side missions and exploration and saving most of the main missions till the end. Though I do like games that let you continue to explore and do stuff after it's over. I probably put in a good 10-20 hours into Just Cause 2 after beating it.

Same here, it's why I still haven't finished the main storyline to Oblivion.
Old 08-28-2010, 11:17 AM   #16
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Wasn't this the way it worked in the first one too?

Yep, but then they had to go back & unscrew it with the DLC. The general tone of comments seems to be along the lines of "didn't they learn anything the first time?"

Quote:
So long as the ending is actually strong and makes for a great, engaging story, I'm in.

I'm still in because the world itself is so good but it dampens my enthusiasm to drop $60 on an open world game that isn't open-ended. Kind of defeats the purpose of the "open world" to me.