Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-29-2007, 08:51 PM   #4201
hoopsguy
General Manager

Mr. W, did you think that the structure of the rules made it more challenging for the good guys to get a successful vote during the day? Or was it just the bad guys doing a great job and the format probably would not have changed the results too much?
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:59 PM   #4202
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
Mr. W, did you think that the structure of the rules made it more challenging for the good guys to get a successful vote during the day?
Not necessarily. I wonder about the impact of the ability to de-attack someone, though... some of the most interesting aspects of a standard WW game are what happens when something makes people want to change their votes around.

Quote:
Or was it just the bad guys doing a great job and the format probably would not have changed the results too much?
Not just the bad guys doing a great job, but we never got any traction on running down horsemen. We lost a couple of the really interesting roles early, and the rest seemed to whiff on their tries at getting something useful.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Mr. Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:02 PM   #4203
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Postmortem on my own game -- I have two regrets, the first is not being really bold and going after Moon Knight a couple of days before the end (I did think about it, but talked myself out of it), and the other is not hoarding energy more for the endgame.

Thanks to my FOFC Hattrick supporters - Blackout, Brillig, kingfc22, RPI-fan, Rich1033, antbacker, One_to7, ur_land, KevinNU7, and TonyR (PM me if you support me and I've missed you)
Old 01-29-2007, 09:03 PM   #4204
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

Interesting to speculate... suppose Daredevil had used his ability to discern truth to determine that Mandarin was lying about killing Captain Marvel? On such small nondecisions do WW games turn.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 PM   #4205
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Schmidty, the HULK SMASH was actually lifted from the Hulk in one of the other games I listed in the first post. In that game, the character who played Hulk (who was also quite good at roleplay) asked others to attack him from time to time to help build his rage.

I actually thought about doing that, but right from the beginning, guys like Wolverine ( ) wanted to get rid of me. I knew that I could handle most physical attacks, but if guys like Magneto, X, and Silver Surfer got involved, I'd be screwed. And I don't doubt that they would have. With this particular WW crowd, if you show a remote bit of weakness, you're dead.

So anyway, it was tough. Add in the fact that I wanted to be Hulk exclusively in game, and it was even tougher.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #4206
hoopsguy
General Manager

Nights 5 - 8

Night 5:
Silver Surfer kills Captain America
SpiderMan watches Deadpool
Daredevil interrogates Professor X
Captain America meets with Daredevil (before he is killed)
Professor X research reveals Captain Britain is 12

Night 6:
Professor X research reveals Wolverine is 12 (50/50 for him or SpiderMan)
Silver Surfer kills Wolverine
Venom uses Evade

Night 7:
Moon Knight kills Gambit

Night 8:
Silver Surfer kills Captain Britain
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #4207
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

How come the bad guys only had to kill the twelve? Why not have them kill to a one to one ratio? Or not let them know who are the 12 amongst the heros?

Not sure if it would have really mattered, as it was pretty close to a 1 to 1 ratio anyway. We didn't do too good.

I had fun, I liked the super hero aspect and everyone having some powers to attack. It certainly did not seem like the good guys couldn't win. If we had played it a little bit better we may have had a chance.
Grammaticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:11 PM   #4208
Raiders Army
Coordinator

I thought this was a very well-run game. I'd like to throw out props to hoops and Tyrith on doing a great job!
Raiders Army is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:14 PM   #4209
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Yep, great job guys!
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #4210
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grammaticus View Post
How come the bad guys only had to kill the twelve? Why not have them kill to a one to one ratio? Or not let them know who are the 12 amongst the heros?

Not sure if it would have really mattered, as it was pretty close to a 1 to 1 ratio anyway. We didn't do too good.

I had fun, I liked the super hero aspect and everyone having some powers to attack. It certainly did not seem like the good guys couldn't win. If we had played it a little bit better we may have had a chance.

Well, for starters that fit well into the comic book theme that I used as a reference point for my story. Second, it created a different dynamic for this game than other werewolf games. Third, it allowed me to split the seer roles across more roles, with some learning about the 12 and others being able to learn about roles.

So those were the reasons behind that game decision. I don't know if I would run one that way again - it was one experiment in having different victory conditions than other games that I've seen - but I don't think the outcome would have been much different if they needed a 1-1 ratio. Apocalypse had a teleport power to avoid a lynch and Moon Knight still had his return from dead power left. Between the two of them, the bad guys were going to be able to play for a little while longer.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:21 PM   #4211
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I enjoyed the game alot. I didnt really have a problem with the game balance, I thought the bad guys did a good job with some bluffs and got away with it. I know a few places I made some mistakes (like going to the grave with my knowledge about night 1 and Dr.Doom and MoonKnight). I think the game was fairly well balanced.. we just did an excellent job of losing most of our seers and bodyguard really fast.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:33 PM   #4212
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
I enjoyed the game alot. I didnt really have a problem with the game balance, I thought the bad guys did a good job with some bluffs and got away with it. I know a few places I made some mistakes (like going to the grave with my knowledge about night 1 and Dr.Doom and MoonKnight). I think the game was fairly well balanced.. we just did an excellent job of losing most of our seers and bodyguard really fast.

That point is the one thing that I would do differently if I had a "do over" with the game setup. I randomly generated Apocalypse, who picked his four horsemen. After that I randomly generated the Twelve and that list was not at all advantageous for the good guys. It had all the people with bodyguard/witness/seer type roles - the people who were not on the list had some powerful characters, but they were not information roles. By having the info roles all as part of the 12 it kept the bad guys from having to make decisions about taking out a potential seer rather than advancing on their mission to remove the 12.

I'm pretty much a slave to random.org to remove any of my preconceived notions from shaping a game outcome, but I wish I had tinkered with that list and removed two of the people from the following list: Prof X, Sinister, Captain America, Warpath, Spiderman.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #4213
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

My role was such a weakling if I was attacked directly, I prayed that I wasn't one of the 12. I did everything I could think of to try to not make it look like I was involved with the block on night 1 just to stay alive a little longer. I guess it didnt matter in the end since my getting killed wasnt due to being one of the 12, but if I hadn't blocked that night I would have been dead anyways.

If I had known I was going to be a target that night, I would have said what I knew obviously.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #4214
Tyrith
College Starter

Quote:
That point is the one thing that I would do differently if I had a "do over" with the game setup. I randomly generated Apocalypse, who picked his four horsemen. After that I randomly generated the Twelve and that list was not at all advantageous for the good guys. It had all the people with bodyguard/witness/seer type roles - the people who were not on the list had some powerful characters, but they were not information roles. By having the info roles all as part of the 12 it kept the bad guys from having to make decisions about taking out a potential seer rather than advancing on their mission to remove the 12.

I'm pretty much a slave to random.org to remove any of my preconceived notions from shaping a game outcome, but I wish I had tinkered with that list and removed two of the people from the following list: Prof X, Sinister, Captain America, Warpath, Spiderman.

In retrospect, I agree with him on this point, but during pregame I was very much of the mind that we shouldn't tamper with the game too much. I didn't want it to seem too scripted, like we were screwing with stuff just to make the game do what we wanted. So I don't think there was any way around it at the time.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:41 PM   #4215
path12
Coordinator

Hoops and Tyrith, I want to also congratulate you on a very well-run game. It's a testament to you guys that such a complex game went so smoothly, and it was a lot of fun for me to play. I appreciated everyone's roleplaying, though as we got more into the game some of that went away, except for Schmidty of course.

I hope that I wasn't too boorish during the switched attack on Professor X -- that was just a lot of fun to be able to pretty much come out as evil and it just seemed like a comic-book thing to do.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #4216
st.cronin
General Manager

This was a very tough game to jump into. I'm still pretty confused.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #4217
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yeah, there was so much reading for you to catch up on, as well as the impressions from AE that were not all spot-on. I have a tough time getting into the flow of games as a replacement when I've got days of data to read (and no ability to shape it in real time, since it is in the past). And you had something like 3500 posts to read - not an enviable task.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:50 PM   #4218
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by path12 View Post
Hoops and Tyrith, I want to also congratulate you on a very well-run game. It's a testament to you guys that such a complex game went so smoothly, and it was a lot of fun for me to play. I appreciated everyone's roleplaying, though as we got more into the game some of that went away, except for Schmidty of course.

I hope that I wasn't too boorish during the switched attack on Professor X -- that was just a lot of fun to be able to pretty much come out as evil and it just seemed like a comic-book thing to do.

Yeah, I loved the edited post. That was some good drama
Old 01-29-2007, 09:52 PM   #4219
LoneStarGirl
College Starter

Yauy we won. I bet all of you were shocked to find out NTNDeacon was apocolypse huh? The look on GE's face when I told him was priceless.
LoneStarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:56 PM   #4220
Tyrith
College Starter

Cronin, yeah, you were pretty well screwed there. Not much we could have done about it, and I appreciate how you tried even though it wasn't going to be pretty.
Tyrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #4221
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wednesday View Post
Interesting to speculate... suppose Daredevil had used his ability to discern truth to determine that Mandarin was lying about killing Captain Marvel? On such small nondecisions do WW games turn.

Since Mandarin was Apocalypse and he killed Marvel in the conversion attempt, I guess we would have been super screwed then. That being able to kill your own baddie and have a free claim is uber powerful. I'll have to remember that one if I ever run another game.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #4222
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I thought the game was fun and I'd absolutely want to play again, especailly since this game I was playing defense for two of my three days!

-Anxiety

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:12 PM   #4223
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiety View Post
I thought the game was fun and I'd absolutely want to play again, especailly since this game I was playing defense for two of my three days!

-Anxiety

I felt bad for you since I know you know the characters so well...
Old 01-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #4224
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

I will say the not being able to take an attack back, really made it hard to try and determine if someone was a baddie or just moved early, etc.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:31 PM   #4225
hoopsguy
General Manager

The attack, without being able to retract, is one of the rules that I would probably look at ways to tweak for next time around.

I like the idea of having consequences for the initial votes, but I can see where this would have been restrictive on play. I'm sure there are other creative ways to work on the "voting" process ...
Old 01-29-2007, 10:39 PM   #4226
Blade6119
Coordinator

Good game everybody, on both sides. Evil just got lucky to win with three things:

1.We got lucky that most every major role for good died in the first 3 days. Sinister, mystique, warpath

2.Both of the two evil characters killed were night killed, therefore allies did not have to get caught defending them or attacking them. I took a stance against doom and LSG, but most of the rest of the team defended them(or was going to). Having them night killed saved us the attention we would have had from defending them in a lynch.

3.The conversion attempt on captain america that failed. While, granted, we got really unlucky to not covert america(lost a coin flip), we still walked out of that night having killed the bodyguard and a dead ally. The dead ally turned out to be key, as ntndeacon and i managed to spin LSG's death to earn trust. What started off a total disaster for us ended up saving our lives.
It's always darkest just before it goes pitch black.
Demotivation
Sometimes the best solution to morale problems is just to fire all of the unhappy people.
http://www.despair.com/viewall.html
Blade6119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #4227
Grammaticus
Pro Rookie

Quote:
The attack, without being able to retract, is one of the rules that I would probably look at ways to tweak for next time around.

I like the idea of having consequences for the initial votes, but I can see where this would have been restrictive on play. I'm sure there are other creative ways to work on the "voting" process ...

Yeah, I just can't think of how to do it. I mean, once you punch somebody you can't really take it back. Maybe you could threaten and then once the day ends all of the final attacks are completed??
Old 01-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #4228
Bonegavel
Awaiting Further Instructions...

Good job hoops and tyrith. I had a blast with my first WW game.

Good job evil. Having played through the game now, I had a bunch of hunches on which I should've followed through.

Like the doom thing, I was back and forth on Mandarin.

I still support my attack on Hulk even knowing now. Gotta take out the big guns early.

Very frustrating, however, not to have had any way of knowing for sure any of the fellow good guys. Obviously, anyone can say whatever they want without restraint. I wish I could have had more energy restored as opposed to health regen power, since only having 6 to start and healing a bunch without my regen kind of made it a waste of 1 energy point.

I wouldn't pick wolvie again that's for sure.

Again, well done hoops and tyrith.

Bonegavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:58 PM   #4229
Bonegavel

I wasn't sure what to make of all the OOC chatter that seemed to be people complaining about actions taken against their characters or things said to them. Was that all just part of the game or were people getting pissed?

E.g., Thomkal in the beginning I thought had popped a gasket.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:04 PM   #4230
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Schmidty looking it over I think the Hulk was exactly as good as I'd have expected. You had a huge health and were hard to kill. I don't think I'd have expected much in the ways of other powers.

Personally I'm in the favor of making this a one time game. I think it would be hard to capture a lot of the newness of powers that you brought to the table again and having completely unusual mechanics is a large part of why I think this was a success.

I would also note that if there is the possibility of resurrection, it needs to be noted somewhere as people will occasionally admit their evilness, unprompted, to the dead and this shouldn't happen if there's a chance that people could come back from that state.

Overall this was a blast of a game to play though I remain DEEPLY disappointed with my play in it.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:05 PM   #4231
Barkeep49
Coordinator

DOLA -- I'm also disappointed that we failed to capture largest thread ever again back from Maximum Football.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:08 PM   #4232
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Bone, your discussion of how I and Blade might had faked the attept and killed one of our own was spot on. In fact that was one of the reasons you stayed alive as long as you did. Didn't want others to read over those posts later to say this is the reason you died.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #4233
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I would like to give out the following "awards" ..

I thought Bonegavel was great in his first game, really jumped into things. I also liked Gi's participation and hope both of them come to play some more in the future.

Schmidty, you never fail to make me laugh this game. Any time I saw you posted, I would quickly click and look for your post. It always made me smile.

I enjoyed Blade and Wvufan's bluffs, those type of actions are what makes the game fun and I hope more games give bad guys the freedom in the future to play loosely like that.

It was good to see some old friends back like Eaglesfan, Sackattack, Talgian, etc. I hope you all aren't too much of strangers and pop back in from time to time to play in games.

Barkeep, glad we both were on the same team and you managed to stay alive for a bit longer for once

And everyone else thanks for another fun game
Old 01-29-2007, 11:16 PM   #4234
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

P.S. When I died, I definitly had no idea on you ntndeacon. You were waaaaaay off my radar, and I'm not sure when/if I would ever catch on to you. I need to start voting for you more often earlier in games
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #4235
Jonathan Ezarik
College Benchwarmer

While I enjoyed the theme of this game and I appreciate all the effort it takes to run something this large, I have to say that I think the good guys never had a chance to win. I remember thinking that back on day two. Too many things were against us.

I think path's ability to change his vote is too much. That's almost like giving evil the duke role. Add ntn's ability to avoid a lynch and Blade's ability to come back after being killed meant that we would have to spend two days killing them. Add to that the fact that they didn't have to spend any energy at night so this allowed them to stockpile energy for attacks, and I think it all adds up to evil having too much power.

Meanwhile, look at the good guys. We had one seer (Mystique) but the energy cost for her to scan someone prevented that from ever being useful. Sinister's ability to scan for Apocalypse is okay, but really, what good is that? A one out of 24 chance of getting something? How is that helpful? And while the knowledge of the 12 was nice, it doesn't do a whole lot of good when that leaves 13 other people unknown. It seems to me that everything had to fall exactly right for us to find any of the Horsemen.

One of the major problems I had with this game comes down to how much energy it took for the good guys to do anything. The only benefit I had to the group was the ability to follow someone, but because it cost so much energy, I could only do it every three nights. The same with DD's ability to determine the truth of a statement. I've already mentioned how Mystique's ability was extremely limited.

Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad with the energy shortfalls if we hadn't been forced to make a lynch every day. That played directly into evil's hands. And the fact that all damage was hidden and not being able to change attacks really made studying the attacks pointless.

I don't know. I hope I'm not coming across as a sore loser or anything like that. But looking back at the game, I don't see how we could have done anything differently to win. To me, it seems like all the cards were stacked against us.
Jonathan Ezarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 PM   #4236
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Personally I'm in the favor of making this a one time game. I think it would be hard to capture a lot of the newness of powers that you brought to the table again and having completely unusual mechanics is a large part of why I think this was a success.

I'd recommend that hoops, if he runs this game again (please do!!!), that he A). require all new characters, and B). creates a list of commonly known characters for us to choose from, mandated, giving him a more known and balanced playing field.

Imagine how different characters like Invisible Woman and Dr. Strange and Nightcrawler would have been from the current selection, and you probably begin to get my drift.

If I were to do this again, I was thinking about taking Nick Fury to go in a different direction.

-Anxiety

Old 01-29-2007, 11:46 PM   #4237
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ezarik View Post
While I enjoyed the theme of this game and I appreciate all the effort it takes to run something this large, I have to say that I think the good guys never had a chance to win. I remember thinking that back on day two. Too many things were against us.

I think path's ability to change his vote is too much. That's almost like giving evil the duke role. Add ntn's ability to avoid a lynch and Blade's ability to come back after being killed meant that we would have to spend two days killing them. Add to that the fact that they didn't have to spend any energy at night so this allowed them to stockpile energy for attacks, and I think it all adds up to evil having too much power.

Meanwhile, look at the good guys. We had one seer (Mystique) but the energy cost for her to scan someone prevented that from ever being useful. Sinister's ability to scan for Apocalypse is okay, but really, what good is that? A one out of 24 chance of getting something? How is that helpful? And while the knowledge of the 12 was nice, it doesn't do a whole lot of good when that leaves 13 other people unknown. It seems to me that everything had to fall exactly right for us to find any of the Horsemen.

One of the major problems I had with this game comes down to how much energy it took for the good guys to do anything. The only benefit I had to the group was the ability to follow someone, but because it cost so much energy, I could only do it every three nights. The same with DD's ability to determine the truth of a statement. I've already mentioned how Mystique's ability was extremely limited.

Maybe it wouldn't have been so bad with the energy shortfalls if we hadn't been forced to make a lynch every day. That played directly into evil's hands. And the fact that all damage was hidden and not being able to change attacks really made studying the attacks pointless.

I don't know. I hope I'm not coming across as a sore loser or anything like that. But looking back at the game, I don't see how we could have done anything differently to win. To me, it seems like all the cards were stacked against us.

I know a lot of players theorize that the larger a game is, the more likely the good guys are to win, because every little power you give the good guys, even small, adds to the cumulative power of one side vs the other. It's hard for a GM running a large game to ensure balance. In retrospect, I think my Middle Earth game was a bit too hard for the bad guys, for example.

-Anxiety

Old 01-30-2007, 01:49 AM   #4238
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I've been reading along and as hoopsguy will attest I was as completely fooled by evil as the rest of you. I think it was a fantastic game and I really wished I could participate. I don't really think the game was unbalanced at all, evil got some lucky breaks and played the game perfectly. The one thing I think might have made a big difference was allowing Apocolypse to choose his horsemen. Along with the 12 having the night-time powers (as pointed out by hoops).

I'm surprised that everyone jumped on the team-building bandwagon at the start as I think that would offer evil the chance to hide and control the votes without really exposing themselves (something that made me suspicious of Magneto at the start).

Thanks to everyone for a very interesting read. And thanks to hoopsguy for indulging my woeful attempts at sleuthing.

Last edited by Narcizo : 01-30-2007 at 01:50 AM.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:12 AM   #4239
Mr. Wednesday
Pro Starter

I think there were a couple of people who took the pressure off of Apoc etc. by driving bandwagons onto members of the 12 and basically doing the dirty work for them. e.g. Magneto kicked off the assault on Iron Man, and I don't think it was the Apoc crew that drove the lynch of Mystique either.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:12 AM   #4240
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonegavel View Post
I wasn't sure what to make of all the OOC chatter that seemed to be people complaining about actions taken against their characters or things said to them. Was that all just part of the game or were people getting pissed?

E.g., Thomkal in the beginning I thought had popped a gasket.

Well not popped a gasket, just desperate not to get voted out on Day 1. Would have been my second exit on day/night 1 in three games I think, and I really really wanted to play this game since I love the theme so much. Since Cannonball's not the type to blow a gasket, I kept him calm generally when talking in his voice, then not so calm in my own.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:15 AM   #4241
hoopsguy
General Manager

I thought the best thing that the bad guys did was to be patient as a team during the daytime. There were a few instances where they specifically did not push the action towards the 12, instead allowing the good guys to figure out targets (that were not Horsemen). This was key for when the bad guys when the vote came back poorly for team good. By allowing the game to take an extra day or two, they were able to avoid putting themselves in tough positions of defending votes.

Other ideas on running it again/differently:
1. Night kills should take an energy pool again, possibly separate from the one for the day actions. The "wolves" would have the opportunity to contribute energy to the night pool instead of taking day actions, but it should not be a free lunch since the "villager" night actions cost energy.
2. Characters - guys that "died" in this one would not be available next time around. As Anxiety said, there are still a ton of characters out there (the entire Fantastic Four, for example, and a ton of villains) for use.
3. Seers - Captain America had a seer ability as long as he could pull people onto his team. At a cost of two energy, it was pretty cheap. So there were two (near) full seers, as well as two "12" seers, a bodyguard, and a witness among the 25 good guys. I thought going in that was enough ammo to give the good guys to ferret info, but having most of them on the list of "12" was a mistake on the game balance initially
4. Once NTN picked his horsemen I had to start juggling powers again. Blade was initially slated to be the bodyguard, so I wasn't going to give that power to the bad guys. And Captain Marvel had the "Storm" post-deadline power. I wasn't going to give the bad guys both the "edit post" and "post deadline" attack
5. Barkeep, I'm pretty sure I can come up with some more sneaky/new powers given a few months to plan
Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 AM   #4242
gi
College Prospect

Quote:

Random.org is my favorite website for roleplaying. I'm a slave too!!

Great game!
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 07:20 AM   #4243
hoopsguy
General Manager

Yeah, in general I don't want my own perceptions (oh, that team of wolves would never win!) to taint the game. As moderator, my goal is to set up a balanced set of rules and interesting write-ups/PMs to enhance the atmosphere. After that, it is the players who decide the outcome.

When I start monkeying with the random.org results I go against those ideas. But tinkering with the "12", in hindsight, probably would have been a good idea - just as I juggled the list of powers after NTN selected the Horsemen.
Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #4244
Bonegavel

I liked the fact that it was the Wolve's game to lose. I'm not a big fan of playing games where I'm on the more powerful side. I like a challenge and this was definitely a challenge.

The only thing I wish is that there was some constraint on what characters said or at least some way that their words could more easily have given them away if it was all pieced together properly. How that could be accomplished I have no idea, but it would be better if they had some stipulation where they couldn't say "X" or they had to add "Y" when talking about a certain subject.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:56 AM   #4245
Thomkal
Head Coach

First off, congrats to the bad guys for the victory and well-played game. Frustrating to have really got no reliable information on any evii except Doom, and you took advantage of the fact. Didn't particularly like the gloating at the end though. Already felt bad that good had lost, didn't need that added to it. I'd really love to hear from NTNdeacon the reasons why he chose the people he did to be his Horsemen.

Second much thanks to Hoops and Tyrith for running a good game with so many variables to it. I'll be surprised if either of you have any hair left.

Third, like Mr. W thought good played poorly overall, though there were certainly some moments there-like Warpath apparantly protecting two evil targets-Mr. Sinister and Cap America. We were also plagued by some bad luck like with Prof X's 12 reveals, and people dying just before they would have likely revealed some helpful information. And if people have information about an evil, don't wait and try to get more, reveal it.

We good guys, with some evil help I think, pretty much forgot about voting records, and tracking the bad guys down through damage reports. In fact now I'm not sure it was even possible to track them through those reports. That hope is what led us to form groups at the beginning. It didn't help good either when we didn't follow up on the the people who attacked and killed goods when it was later revealed an evil was also under attack-that whole Juggernaut/Doom attacks. Though we would have got some goods in that too. so perhaps not. Evils wisely spread out their attacks.

Fourth, kudos to the new people for their good play. Hope you'll play again.

Fifth, Barkeep, Barkeep, Barkeep. Let me say first, I completely understand the logic behind your attack, and the thought certainly crossed my mind that you were evil for the same reason. But I think you completely ignored everything else that had happened to me or I had done in the game to that point. 5 people attacked me on day 1, as it turns out two good and three evil. You said that I was never in danger, but you had no idea just how much damage was done to me on that day, or what exactly their powers could do to me. It wasn't the fact that Iron Man was attacked by more, it was the fact that I was attacked by so many that should have kept you from attacking me. Would evil really risk losing one of their own on day 1 like that? At least that's how I look at it.

And our attack on Doom the day before should have been a tip-off too that was I good. It didn't matter that he wasn't the one taking the most damage that day, it mattered that there was enough people on him that I risked killing him if I attacked him with you. We broke his force field down, and evil was lucky people didn't attack him after that.

It also made you an easy target for future attacks and one evil wanted to get rid of soon as possible thanks to that immobolize attack. And who would I have attacked had I not been immobilized? Silver Surfer. Who knows if it would have led to anything, but I was suspicious of both him and Moon Knight since day 1 since they attacked me, and then downplayed every single bit of good news/information that the good guys got, especially later in the game. Would have gone for Moon Knight for sure had I gained any momentum on the attack with Silver Surfer. Probably would have needed convincing to go after Mandarin though.

Sorry to go all out on you here-was just so incredibly frustrated about my death, and had to get it off my chest. I do see where you were coming from though, and it might have paid off big time had I been evil.

Sixth, I'd probably change the not taking back an attack rule somewhat. Pay some energy to remove the attack I guess. It just led us to gang up on players because it required so many people to take out one person. Evil wisely sat back as I mentioned one time and waited for the good guys to make their moves.

Seventh, I didn't play very well either, attacking three members of the 12 before I finally got Doom, and falling for evil's lies like everybody else and dying right before I might have made a difference without telling my suspicions of Surfer and Moon Knight.

Eighth, I'd like to see the game run again, maybe with the far better DC heroes.

Congrats again bad guys.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:10 AM   #4246
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Didn't particularly like the gloating at the end though.

I thought this was in-character comic-book "Bwahahaha! Nobody can stop me now" style gloating. The only problem being that in the comic books the bad guys say that 5 minutes before it's too late, rather than 2 hours after.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:15 AM   #4247
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
Eighth, I'd like to see the game run again, maybe with the far better DC heroes.

I would encourage another GM to take a shot at this - I don't know the universe well enough to integrate anything resembling a comic book feel in my writeups and PMs.

One other area of interest for me - I sent out night PMs to everyone, not just the people with night actions. This was done to try and reflect the thought process of your character and potentially give some insight into the role-playing aspects of the characters. Was this helpful, or was it confusing? If it was of limited value in terms of overall game enjoyment I can definitely cut back on this next time around and save myself about 30-45 minutes in the mornings
Old 01-30-2007, 08:27 AM   #4248
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

I could have done without the Death pm.

Other than that, I am curious to the response to Hoops' question as well. My next game will be another one where everyone has a role of some sort or some form of ability, and I am changing the schedule up a bit to try to make it easier for some of our timezone handicapped friends to join in. Because of this, I'm likely looking at a decent sized PM to every player each day. I'm curious if most people can do without it, or if it helps them enjoy the games more.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #4249
Thomkal
Head Coach

I liked getting the PM's hoops. I had no night actions, so liked getting word I was okay along with the occasional noise I might have heard during the night.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM   #4250
Bonegavel

Hoops, I liked all the PMs but I can't imagine the time you put into this because as a player I put in hour after hour just reading the stuff. I couldn't imagine having to do the reading and then keep track of all the extra stuff. You must feel like you went a few rounds with Mike Tyson.