Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #22251
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
NY won't get ventilators because Trump thinks they're lying.

I bet if it was a state that voted heavily for Trump they would get 50,000 ventilators+
Old 03-27-2020, 09:37 AM   #22252
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

The idiocy of the House leaving until there was something to vote on is on full display now. Some of them who aren't in quarantine can't even get back for the vote due to flights being cancelled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal
I bet if it was a state that voted heavily for Trump they would get 50,000 ventilators+

Trump doesn't have that many to give. It was just an opportunity for him to parade his ignorance, and also earns him points with those who say it's overblown and let's just go back to work already.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #22253
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

KY FTW!!!!!!

HONEY!!! WE'RE GOIN' OUT TONIGHT!!!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 09:57 AM   #22254
Edward64
Head Coach

Unfortunately it seems he has pretty solid support from his base.

Trump trashes ‘third-rate grandstander’ Rep. Thomas Massie - New York Daily News
Quote:
President Trump trashed Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) as a “third-rate Grandstander” after the Tea Party conservative held up the $2.2 trillion coronavirus stimulus bill.

Taking a rare swipe at a member of his right-wing base, Trump said Massie is forcing an in-person debate on the bill because he “just wants the publicity.”
:
:
Massie is a fiscal hawk who objects on principle to budget-busting measures. He regularly takes lonely stands against popular relief bills for natural disasters and other national needs. He even cast the one vote against a bill making lynching a federal hate crime.

The fourth-term lawmaker represents a deep-red northern Kentucky district and has won reelection by nearly 2-1 margins in recent contests.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:00 AM   #22255
PilotMan
Head Coach

Massie is my Rep, and he's like Rand Paul lite. He is the exact same kind of grandstander Paul is.

Like Steam?

Old 03-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #22256
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Trump wants the GOP to kick out Massie. Wow.

I know I'm a asshole but I'm glad at least one person (Massie) is bringing up the national debt.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #22257
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
Massie is my Rep, and he's like Rand Paul lite. He is the exact same kind of grandstander Paul is.

I guess this means it's not date night tonight since you won't be getting the ventilators from Trump.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:03 AM   #22258
PilotMan
Head Coach

Fuck you Edward. You ruin everything.

/s in case anyone had any fucking doubt.

Like Steam?

Last edited by PilotMan : 03-27-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:08 AM   #22259
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I know I'm a asshole but I'm glad at least one person (Massie) is bringing up the national debt.

Honestly, $2.2T to save the economy, significantly help the jobless and less fortunate, not go into a Depression is pretty good deal (assuming it works well) during this national crisis.

He did vote for the Trump tax cuts.

But yes, the conversation needs to be had to decrease the deficit after this crisis. Unfortunately, neither party will have the stomach for it.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:12 AM   #22260
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Spending 2T now is going to help the debt.

It is like spending $50 for a patch to stop a water leak that would otherwise cause $10,000 of damage to your floor. Then you repair the leak.

And, yes, once you get the leak under control, you then turn toward the budget.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:13 AM   #22261
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

As much as I have been pretty skeptical of the feds' response, I have been amazed at how hard my state and local governments have been working on this.

I come out of this with a new appreciation for states' rights. Yeah, federalism!
Old 03-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #22262
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

I don't think it's going to stop a depression - I think a global one is coming no matter what. I do think it'll make it less severe and get us out of it faster, so yeah it's a bargain. But not everyone sees it that way.

Was talking to somebody yesterday who is mostly concerned about the cultural impact, not the viral or economic ones. I.e., the idea that as a species we have to go on and keep moving forward or it doesn't matter if we save ourselves from the virus, what we'll have lost in terms of social vitality, pushing towards the future instead of shrinking back in fear, etc. will be worse.

There's definitely something in a lot of people that reacts primally and adversely to the ideas both of isolation itself, but also being told to do so.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-27-2020 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #22263
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
As much as I have been pretty skeptical of the feds' response, I have been amazed at how hard my state and local governments have been working on this.

I come out of this with a new appreciation for states' rights. Yeah, federalism!

Depends on the state (the inherent weakness in states' rights ). I've been disappointed by Governor Kemp's response (GA). Mayor Lance Bottoms of Atlanta has been really good, but I live outside of city limits. Thankfully Dekalb County's CEO came out strongly this past week for staying at home - I don't know if there is an order though (there should be).
Old 03-27-2020, 10:49 AM   #22264
molson
General Manager

Idaho did a 180 and locked down after having almost no response on the state level. It's been confusing for some of the people. People are calling the police on people walking their dogs and on construction workers. There are rumors going around that the police are stopping everyone and demanding to see their papers. (The police are just hoping that if they drive up on a group of people at a park they'll disperse now).

Last edited by molson : 03-27-2020 at 10:50 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:06 AM   #22265
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I don't think it's going to stop a depression - I think a global one is coming no matter what. I do think it'll make it less severe and get us out of it faster, so yeah it's a bargain. But not everyone sees it that way.

Was talking to somebody yesterday who is mostly concerned about the cultural impact, not the viral or economic ones. I.e., the idea that as a species we have to go on and keep moving forward or it doesn't matter if we save ourselves from the virus, what we'll have lost in terms of social vitality, pushing towards the future instead of shrinking back in fear, etc. will be worse.

There's definitely something in a lot of people that reacts primally and adversely to the ideas both of isolation itself, but also being told to do so.

I'm not sure how you can have a mandatory shut down of much of the economy and NOT have a depression.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:08 AM   #22266
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

True. Also true is that you can't have an unchecked virus rampaging through the country (the other alternative) and not have a depression either.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 AM   #22267
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

The trolley problem here is between (1) economic recession/depression and more death or (2) economic recession/depression and less death.

What we need to do is clear.

But I actually have a lot of sympathy for the folks who believe that there is a way out of this without a recession/depression and without more death. I WANT that to be true so much. And it just seems crazy that it can't be true.

But all of the evidence points toward that simply not being possible.

And I really hope that we end up making the choice that we need to make, not the choice that we want to make.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:19 AM   #22268
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

dola

Every morning, I check the headlines hoping/expecting to see something like "Scientists find that [Cheaply produced drug X] found to cure coronavirus in infected patients!"
Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 AM   #22269
JPhillips
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

He didn't care when the tax cuts he voted for rang up almost this much debt over the past two years. He doesn't care about the debt, he cares about limiting government spending.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #22270
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Can we just give Kentucky back to the confederacy already
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 11:34 AM   #22271
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Another fine example of tolerance on display.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:54 AM   #22272
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
True. Also true is that you can't have an unchecked virus rampaging through the country (the other alternative) and not have a depression either.

We are going to have a recession however IMO a depression is not yet a done deal.

Depression (economics - Wikipedia)
Quote:
In the United States the National Bureau of Economic Research determines contractions and expansions in the business cycle, but does not declare depressions.[1] Generally, periods labeled depressions are marked by a substantial and sustained shortfall of the ability to purchase goods relative to the amount that could be produced using current resources and technology (potential output).[2] Another proposed definition of depression includes two general rules:[3][4]
a decline in real GDP exceeding 10%, or
a recession lasting 2 or more years.
There are also differences in the duration of depression across definitions. Some economists refer only to the period when economic activity is declining. The more common use, however, also encompasses the time until the economic activity has returned close to normal levels.[1]
Old 03-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #22273
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
He didn't care when the tax cuts he voted for rang up almost this much debt over the past two years. He doesn't care about the debt, he cares about limiting government spending.

I was going to point this out but I guess my job here is done.

He really doesn't give two whits about the debt just like the GOP has no leg to stand on when talking about fiscal accountability the last three years.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #22274
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Can we just give Kentucky back to the confederacy already

Only if Alabama and Mississippi goes with them.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:27 PM   #22275
Jas_lov
College Starter

A quorum is present and the motion is adopted.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 12:35 PM   #22276
JPhillips
General Manager

Unless we do something this year, things are going to be ugly next year. Insurance rates are almost certainly going to skyrocket with what is going to be spent on the virus and state and local governments are going to have to make some severe cuts in their next budgets, which will mean a lot of government layoffs and reduced spending.
Old 03-27-2020, 12:46 PM   #22277
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The trolley problem here is between (1) economic recession/depression and more death or (2) economic recession/depression and less death.

What we need to do is clear.

But I actually have a lot of sympathy for the folks who believe that there is a way out of this without a recession/depression and without more death. I WANT that to be true so much. And it just seems crazy that it can't be true.

But all of the evidence points toward that simply not being possible.

And I really hope that we end up making the choice that we need to make, not the choice that we want to make.

I don't see things that simply. Your example above acts like an economic recession/depression is a simple binary thing when it's not.

A Depression will also lead to loss of life via suicide, drug overdoses, loss of access to healthcare etc... and I'm worried the prevention will be worse than the cure here.

Quote:
dola

Every morning, I check the headlines hoping/expecting to see something like "Scientists find that [Cheaply produced drug X] found to cure coronavirus in infected patients!"

I hope for headlines that say "Advancement in sex bot technology!"
Old 03-27-2020, 01:11 PM   #22278
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post

Wait, it came to me Mitch, Paul & Massie are all representing KY. Must be the water or something.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #22279
Edward64
Head Coach

Welp, bill passed the House. Let's hope this helps significantly.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #22280
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Wait, it came to me Mitch, Paul & Massie are all representing KY. Must be the water or something.

Loved and revered by many.....

However, the NKY suburbs did come out for Beshear last year over Bevin, so there's some sliver of hope. Or something like that anyway.

Like Steam?

Old 03-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #22281
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Not sure I have ever seen anything quite so narcissistic

[IMG]IMG-6977[/IMG]

A couple days after I got this, I got a letter from Trumps campaign wanting me to buy a MAGA hat. I could donate to his campaign. Anywhere from $50 to $2800.

Guy is out of touch with reality.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #22282
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just got lost in this rabbit hole. Christ this guy really is the worst.

Trump Twitter Archive
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 01:56 PM   #22283
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Welp, bill passed the House. Let's hope this helps significantly.

If you make more than $99K or less than Delta Airlines, not really.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:50 PM   #22284
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

that sick cheeto just said no to NY emergency requests for ventilators.
That prick just wants to be popular and throw tantrums if he isn't

He's killing people.

ANd great Koch is whining about the economy now.
CrimsonFox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 04:24 PM   #22285
stevew
Hall Of Famer

GM making ventilators sounds like a pretty bad idea
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:00 PM   #22286
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm sure there is a reason but why not Ford also?
Old 03-27-2020, 05:54 PM   #22287
Jas_lov
College Starter

Could he just let everyone else talk first then he can blather on? Fauci has much better things to do than stand there for an hour listening to this.
Old 03-27-2020, 06:14 PM   #22288
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

There are no good solutions once you failed to prepare in time/are set up to fail by the circumstances in place prior to a crisis.

Be intereting if a majority realises that maybe it'd be better to spend a bit more all the time than a shit ton once a crisis hits.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-27-2020 at 06:14 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:30 PM   #22289
RainMaker
General Manager

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #22290
RainMaker
General Manager

Always a tweet

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:45 AM   #22291
Radii
Head Coach

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/27/polit...ntv/index.html

Quote:
"Well, we've entered into a number of contracts, and as we get closer to the date when shipments are supposed to come in, they are getting canceled -- getting delayed," Whitmer told Blitzer.

Whitmer said her state was notified that shipments of protective equipment such as face masks are going "first to the federal government" ahead of the states.

I'm real confused about whether the federal government is helping the states or if they've just told the states to bid against each other and then are taking what they want? b/c it seems like Michigan is becoming a state that would be 2nd or 3rd on the list of states in dire need of additional supplies.

Quote:
He repeatedly referred to Whitmer as "the woman in Michigan" and said he wants the governors in the US to appreciate the work he and other federal officials are putting into fighting the outbreak. At one point, Trump said he has told Vice President Mike Pence not to call Whitmer and other governors who have been critical of the federal government.

"He calls all the governors -- I'm a different person. I say, 'Mike, don't call the governor of Washington, you're wasting your time with him. Don't call the woman in Michigan,'" Trump said, stating that he felt Whitmer and Washington Gov. Jay Inslee, another Democrat, will criticize him no matter what.

"You know what I say? If they don't treat you right, don't call. He's a different type of person. He'll call, quietly, anyway."
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #22292
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post

I'm real confused about whether the federal government is helping the states or if they've just told the states to bid against each other and then are taking what they want? b/c it seems like Michigan is becoming a state that would be 2nd or 3rd on the list of states in dire need of additional supplies.

Right now states are bidding against themselves and the federal government. States are claiming they had deals in place for equipment only to be outbid at the last minute by the federal government.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #22293
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Just because we all like stats

I get the feeling that my job will soon no longer be considered "essential"
Old 03-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #22294
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Scariest part of that graph to me is that it dovetails with the overall CDC data from last week; a third or a little higher of the hospitalization cases are under 60. Not that the elderly aren't important to, it's more the fact that we can't isolate enough people just by focusing on the susceptible ones in order to keep hospitals functioning.
Old 03-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #22295
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Idiot casually throws out that he is considering an enforceable quarantine, whatever that means, for NY/NJ and parts of Ct. Now people are freaking out because no one really knows what the hell it means.

I literally don't know if he could be any worse at this if he tried.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #22296
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Here's how he could be worse:

The Lord Of The Rings - Flee For Your Lives! - YouTube
Old 03-28-2020, 05:06 PM   #22297
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

Or this

“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 03-28-2020 at 05:15 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #22298
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Right now states are bidding against themselves and the federal government. States are claiming they had deals in place for equipment only to be outbid at the last minute by the federal government.

If this doesn't get this guy unelected come November (assuming he doesn't suspend the election) I don't know what else would.

This is criminal negligence.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 08:22 PM   #22299
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
If this doesn't get this guy unelected come November (assuming he doesn't suspend the election) I don't know what else would.

This is criminal negligence.

I’ve actually wondered if anyone (individual or state AG) might sue him after all is said and done.
Old 03-28-2020, 08:28 PM   #22300
Jas_lov
College Starter

Let's hope he's thrown in jail. The federal government should have handled this so much better. 500 more deaths today. Next week we'll have 1,000+ daily. That clown never should have been elected and now people are going to pay for it with their lives.