Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 12-21-2006, 08:58 AM   #1
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7)

A Christmas Present from J.K. Rowling! A little mini-game on the JKRowling.com site and the name of the 7th HP book appears (in the title).

Excitment!!!

ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 09:34 AM   #2
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

cool
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #3
Butter
Coordinator

Where's the game?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 AM   #4
Celeval
Pro Starter

Go to the eraser on the desk - the game is to get behind the (usually) locked door, and then a mini-game behind that. Spoilers at www.the-leaky-cauldron.org if you want to skip that part.
Celeval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #5
Butter
Coordinator

Yeah, that's awesome. I click the eraser, then there's a door... you can click on the door and the eraser. The door won't open and the eraser takes you back to the other screen. OK, whatever, I can tell my wife the title now thanks to you guys anyway.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #6
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yeah, that's awesome. I click the eraser, then there's a door... you can click on the door and the eraser. The door won't open and the eraser takes you back to the other screen. OK, whatever, I can tell my wife the title now thanks to you guys anyway.

Yeah, it's not working.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks for posting that. I'm not sure what "deathly hallows" mean, probably a Brit thing.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post

There's a series of things to do once in the door room that will open the door. The CNN article also has a walkthrough.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:03 PM   #9
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Thanks for posting that. I'm not sure what "deathly hallows" mean, probably a Brit thing.

What a silly name.
Nothing like Prisoner of Azkaban or Goblet of Fire.

Well, I take "hallows" to be spirits/ghosts/saints (All Hallow's Eve), but in the dictionary it says it means:
1 : to make holy or set apart for holy use
2 : to respect greatly

So it's either deathly spirits or "hallows" is a term trying to refer to Voldemort.and his followers...either way. Just sounds kind of corny/hokey to me.

Meh..

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 12:11 PM   #10
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Dola,
On The Leaky Cauldron (http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org) they pointed out that, "back in August/September of 2003 involving a company called Seabottom and early registration of titles for Harry Potter. Two of the titles orignally claimed were 'HARRY POTTER AND THE HALLOWS OF HOGWARTS' and 'HARRY POTTER AND THE HOGWARTS HALLOWS,'" which is fairly interesting.

Seeing as the horcruxes are rumored to be items of the founders, "Hallows of Hogwarts" has some interesting connotations...

Leaky also did a 13 minute podcast about the title, they had a couple of kind of interesting thoughts.

/tk
Old 12-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #11
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Thanks, tk, can you summarize their thoughts? (Yes, I'm lazy today)
Old 12-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #12
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
Thanks, tk, can you summarize their thoughts? (Yes, I'm lazy today)

They seemed to like the title, in general. The two biggest things I got out of it:
Their first thought was that "hallows" has more to do with "Halloween" than "saints/spirits," recalling that the entire story started with Harry Potter's parents being murdered on Halloween...
The second thing they brought up was that during Halloween, magic is at its strongest/most potent stage, which would be appropriate for the book.

I must confess, I'm still sold on the "spirits" aspect of "hallows" as they way it's used is as a noun (seemingly) and the definitions I can find that I trust are all for "hallow" as a verb.

Still not really a fan of the name though.

/tk
Old 12-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #13
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Apparently in Arthurian legends, "hallows" means sacred artifacts that are kept by kings (Google "Grail Hallows" to see the 4 hallows of the Holy Grail). The horcruxes of Voldemort are definately sacred to dark wizards... and fit best, IMO.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #14
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Apparently in Arthurian legends, "hallows" means sacred artifacts that are kept by kings (Google "Grail Hallows" to see the 4 hallows of the Holy Grail). The horcruxes of Voldemort are definately sacred to dark wizards... and fit best, IMO.

Interesting, I never knew that!

Leaky has posted:
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org
HarryPotter.nl, J.K. Rowlng's Dutch publishers' site, has listed the working title of the seventh book - not as the expected Harry Potter en de Dodelijke Heiligen, the literal translation, but Harry Potter en het Fatale Heiligdom. That means the title is something like "Deadly Shrine," "Deadly Sanctuary," or, as some readers have suggested, "Deadly Saints."

However, the site notes that that is a tentative title, and that a definitive one will follow when we know more about the content of the book. Many thanks to Eva!

I wonder if the title will change for the usage of the term--I particularly like how ISiddiqui's point ties better into the horcruxes.

/tk
Old 02-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070201/...people_rowling

release date July 21 !!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:09 PM   #16
Qwikshot
Pro Starter

One hopes this with quelch the furor over Daniel Radcliffe and his appearance in "Equus"
"General Woundwort's body was never found. It could be that he still lives his fierce life somewhere else, but from that day on, mother rabbits would tell their kittens that if they did not do as they were told, the General would get them. Such was Woundwort's monument, and perhaps it would not have displeased him." Watership Down, Richard Adams
Qwikshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #17
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

Woooot!!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #18
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Hoorays
Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #19
KWhit
Coordinator

I thought it would be 07/07/07.
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:45 PM   #20
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWhit View Post
I thought it would be 07/07/07.

I think they avoided that because the OotP movie is coming out 07/13/07. Give it a bit more space in between.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Pre-ordered.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #22
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:
I think they avoided that because the OotP movie is coming out 07/13/07. Give it a bit more space in between.

That, and the anniversary of the London bombings.

The date would have made sense though, with '7' supposedly being a powerful number.

I was sort of thinking it'd be released on 7/31, Harry's birthday and also a Tuesday, which is a popular day for releasing things, whereas the 21st is a Saturday. Bit weird, but hey, I'll take it 10 days earlier,
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM   #23
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Saturday makes more sense to me. It makes it easier for people to stay up all night Friday night to buy it the second that it comes out.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 07:58 PM   #24
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by stkelly52 View Post
Saturday makes more sense to me. It makes it easier for people to stay up all night Friday night to buy it the second that it comes out.

...and immediately flip to the last chapter.

I think it will be damned near impossible to avoid spoilers from that date on.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:08 PM   #25
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

I didn't start reading any of the series until after book 6 came out, and I'm really looking forward to buying this and reading it. However, I see zero chance of myself waiting in line for it at midnight. I'm sure I'll be unable to stop myself from reading it as quickly as possible once I do get it.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-01-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:14 PM   #26
Barkeep49
Coordinator

My brother and I already have been planning to be there at midnight. I happened to be in Philadelphia visiting a friend when book 6 came out and we had a blast being there at midnight.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #27
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
I see zero chance of myself waiting in line for it at midnight. I'm sure I'll be unable to stop myself from reading it as quickly as possible once I do get it.

I'll just go to our local Wal-mart at around 1:00 in the morning. I think I'm more interested in reading the book over that weekend because, I agree, spoilers will be damn near impossible to avoid.. Especially when she kills off Harry.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:05 PM   #28
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
I'll just go to our local Wal-mart at around 1:00 in the morning. I think I'm more interested in reading the book over that weekend because, I agree, spoilers will be damn near impossible to avoid.. Especially when she kills off Harry.

Hmmm, that I might try. Especially if I'm not tired that night.

Last edited by Eaglesfan27 : 02-01-2007 at 09:05 PM.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #29
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

And I'll be there . I was there at midnight at Barnes and Noble's for Half Blood Prince. The trick is to call and reserve a copy and then stop by at 6-7 PM to 'check in'. At the time they give you a colored flyer which dictates what order you can purchase the book (they announce the next flyer color as the previous flyer color starts to windle down at checkout). Then you can do whatever as long as you are back at midnight at that B&N. That way, I got to leave at around 12:30 AM from the store.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:59 PM   #30
SFL Cat
College Starter

Still wonders what all the fuss about this Harry Potter is.....

Wish I was the chick who wrote it, though. She's richer than Oprah.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:04 PM   #31
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You may want to read the books... novel concept (pun... ok, maybe partially intended ), I realize .
Old 02-01-2007, 10:17 PM   #32
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post
Still wonders what all the fuss about this Harry Potter is.....

Wish I was the chick who wrote it, though. She's richer than Oprah.

have you read the books? I felt the same way until I was on a long car ride and the only entertainment was the first book. Turned out to be the shortest car ride ever
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:26 PM   #33
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Actually that is amusing as it seems to be most adults' reactions. I mean, it is labeled as a "children's book" so I'm sure all of us had misgivings about it initially. Though it turned out to be far deeper than the childrens' books we read as kids (or the genre has turned out to be far more sophisticated than in our youths).
Old 02-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #34
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I agree, I didn't read the books until after the first movie came out. I watched the movie only because I was testing a new DVD-ROM player on my PC and got hooked by the Diagon Alley scene. It truly was the Wizard of Oz for our generation(s). I then read the first three books soon after that and while I am not into fantasy, it was amazing to read how they blended the wizard world into the real world and actually made it (and Hogwarts) believable.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:27 PM   #35
Buccaneer
Head Coach

Quote:
Actually that is amusing as it seems to be most adults' reactions. I mean, it is labeled as a "children's book" so I'm sure all of us had misgivings about it initially. Though it turned out to be far deeper than the childrens' books we read as kids (or the genre has turned out to be far more sophisticated than in our youths).

...and darker than any children's book that I can recall.
Old 02-02-2007, 12:05 AM   #36
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Hmmm, that I might try. Especially if I'm not tired that night.

Our Walmart was clear by then.

As for a children's book.. IMO, these stopped being children's books at the end of the Goblet of Fire and morphed into young adult/light adult reading.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Old 02-02-2007, 01:57 AM   #37
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

""". I avoided it for the longest time, but once I started - I was hooked.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #38
saldana
Pro Starter

interesting that they are only releasing the movie and the book 8 days apart...they dont really need one to help drive the other and they are really sacrificing the opportunity to have 2 publicity cycles

that said, i will be in line at walmart at 12 pm on friday night, just as i have been for the last 2
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:19 AM   #39
PraetorianX
High School JV

Quote:

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Didn't think about that as I'm not really a 'stand in line to get it right away' type of person.

Quote:
I didn't start reading any of the series until after book 6 came out, and I'm really looking forward to buying this and reading it. However, I see zero chance of myself waiting in line for it at midnight. I'm sure I'll be unable to stop myself from reading it as quickly as possible once I do get it.

Me neither. Hadn't read any of them until this past Christmas when I got the whole set after continuing to hear glowing reviews (and I enjoyed the movies). Now I'm hooked and can't wait for #7.

Quote:

Yeah, I always stayed away figuring it's like all other kiddie books. It's like, when you watch some kids shows/movies when you're young they're just awesome...then you watch them now when you're older and you can't believe that you actually were stupid enough to like that. I figured HP was that kind of stuff, but I kept hearing from people my age (and older) about how good it is, so I gave it a go. Don't recall these types of children's books when I was a kid. And (as somebody said above) end of GoF it ceases any pretense of being a kids book and becomes much darker. I suspect DH will be darker still (how can it not?)
PraetorianX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #40
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Let me just say, as a Children's Librarian, that Harry Potter is not the only children's book which is exceptional and would have great appeal to adults.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:22 AM   #41
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post
Let me just say, as a Children's Librarian, that Harry Potter is not the only children's book which is exceptional and would have great appeal to adults.

List pls thx
Old 02-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #42
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkeep49 View Post

Well? Share!

I started this thread about a series that I really really liked.

http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=54701

I highly recommend these books if you like HP. Read them!
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:52 AM   #43
JeeberD
General Manager

No waiting in line for me...I'll just pre-order and have the book in my mailbox around 4pm.

I solemnly swear to never cheer for TO
JeeberD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #44
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

I find it interesting that so many people are planning on waiting in line and pre-ordering this book. When the last one came out, it was available in every book store, Wal-Mart, video game store, and gas station the day after and generally at prices cheaper than the pre-order price.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #45
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
I find it interesting that so many people are planning on waiting in line and pre-ordering this book. When the last one came out, it was available in every book store, Wal-Mart, video game store, and gas station the day after and generally at prices cheaper than the pre-order price.

Main point bolded . I think I didn't get to sleep until 6 AM that first day .

And it's a fun 'event', especially if you go to a B&N with midnight readings and whatnot.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 02-03-2007 at 01:36 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 07:44 PM   #46
Celeval
Pro Starter

Quote:
And it's a fun 'event', especially if you go to a B&N with midnight readings and whatnot.

Lots of independent places as well - for book six, we helped out at an independent bookstore that was full, and a blast. "Harry and the Potters" on the CD player, wand-making and sorting for the kids.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:17 PM   #47
Rizon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
""". I avoided it for the longest time, but once I started - I was hooked.

"

I thought Harry Potter was more nonsense children's drivel, along the lines of Barney. So I avoided it like the plague. When I finally watched the first movie (maybe last year, or the year before) I was hooked. The books aren't bad either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
I don't think I'd stop even if I found a dick.
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 11:45 PM   #48
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The books kick the movies' asses .

(no really, I think the movies collectively can't hold a candle to any single book from Goblet of Fire onward).
Old 02-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #49
stkelly52
College Benchwarmer

Well I am 501st in line to get the book from the Library. They are ordering over 400 copies so I shouldn't have to wait more than a week after it comes out.
stkelly52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 09:40 AM   #50
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
The books kick the movies' asses .

(no really, I think the movies collectively can't hold a candle to any single book from Goblet of Fire onward).

That is usually the case with movie adaptations of books. I was rather surprised that the first two movies were such good adaptations, but the first two books were fairly small so it was easy to incorporate just about everything.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote