Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-21-2010, 09:37 AM   #151
whomario
Pro Starter

mine actually would be but i simply arranged the furniture so that i´m watching on the narrow side, that way i´m about 10 feet away (on the long side it would be as much as 18), but can allways move it closer if need be.
Have a nice "corner shelve" for my DVDs and CDs next to the sofa to create the illusion of having 2 smaller rooms (the other half has my desk and books etc), hope i won´t have to move yet again in a few months as my contract is running out in september ...

Last edited by whomario : 06-21-2010 at 09:44 AM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:56 AM   #152
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Absolutely not the case at all. At least in the area I live, the style of houses built here lead to fairly narrow rooms. If you are only sitting 3-5 feet away from a television in a room, getting a 73 inch tv will actually cause a poorer watching experience than one sized correctly for the room.

If you are in a huge open area, or a large room, then yes a 73 inch tv would be really nice (depending on other factors) and I am thinking about getting this for my living room. But in my home office, this tv would be horrible.

So sometimes a tv is big enough.

Obviously my sarcasm wasn't noted.

This is one that you buy for a big room and slap some surround sound on it. TV's like this make me glad I live in an area where I can afford a house with big rooms.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #153
DanGarion
Coordinator

The only problem with DLPs is if you put them up against a LED/LCD or a Plasma, the picture almost always looks washed out compared to it. And if you have a room that gets too much sun they tend to be harder to see.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:43 AM   #154
dolfin
High School JV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
The only problem with DLPs is if you put them up against a LED/LCD or a Plasma, the picture almost always looks washed out compared to it. And if you have a room that gets too much sun they tend to be harder to see.

I had heard this quite a bit, but don't find this to be true at all. I have 2 very large floor to ceiling windows that let in way too much light during the day and there is virtually no glare and the DLP still looks amazing. Its nice to actually be able to watch movies during the daytime again!

Another thing that some have said is not good with DLPs is the viewing angles, but this is also not even remotely true. Mine has great viewing angles.
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #155
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin View Post
I had heard this quite a bit, but don't find this to be true at all. I have 2 very large floor to ceiling windows that let in way too much light during the day and there is virtually no glare and the DLP still looks amazing. Its nice to actually be able to watch movies during the daytime again!

Another thing that some have said is not good with DLPs is the viewing angles, but this is also not even remotely true. Mine has great viewing angles.

Well I'm going from my experience with the DLP I have and the number of DLPs that friends have...
Old 06-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #156
dolfin
High School JV

Maybe CA environmental laws won't allow your lamps to shine properly?
dolfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #157
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfin View Post
Maybe CA environmental laws won't allow your lamps to shine properly?

That's probably it!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #158
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

60" TV that's 3D ready for under $800. Normally over $1100.

Mitsubishi 60" WD-60C9 DLP 120Hz HDTV - Slickdeals.net

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 07-10-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Is this our most recent tv thread? If so, might as well post here as I'm currently in the market for a tv. I've done some homework the past few days, but my knowledge is obviously incomplete and this is my first HDTV of any sort so here I am

I'm perpetually cheap so cost is always an issue with me. Some people get fixated on "I must have this tv" or "I must have this car", etc- not so much for me as I'm more of a sliding scale sort where the next tv is a quantifiable difference away from the one I'm looking at (i.e. some people will say "I must have a Brand X"- well, I would rate it, say, a 9 certainly but that "Brand Y I won't touch with a 10' pole" is a 4- but it's all relative; if I could get Brand Y for $200 and Brand X costs $2000- I definitely would go with Brand Y but if those numbers were $400 and $600, Brand X is definitely the way to go).

Why I started with that disclaimer is that if I throw a number out there, say, I'm looking to spend in the $1000 range- the immediate reaction of most people is to go look at the best tv you can get for $1000, even if there's an $700 tv that's only slightly worse than the $1000 tv but people will recommend the $1000 tv because, yes, it's better even if it's a worse deal.

So, I'm looking in the $500 ballpark, tho a little more would be ok if I can do better. This is going to be in a living room with a sectional but my wife and I tend to watch from different sections on the sectional so viewing angle might be an issue (adv: Plasma). Also, it's up off the ground a few feet above a fireplace we don't use so maybe that will also affect viewing angle. It's down in a mostly dark room so the plasma glare issues shouldn't be too bad.

This is not attached to a PC or gaming console or anything but a cable box and an upconverting DVD player but no BluRay and not a whole lot of HD yet. I might get a PS3 eventually that I'd want to hook up to it, but it's not going to happen for the next year or so, at least. Frankly, it will probably be used almost exclusively for movies and maybe some SD tv off the cable box.

I think this is more or less a practice run at an HD tv and, if we have the money in a couple of years, maybe go for another one for other uses- but, who knows, we may have kids then and we won't be able to have nice things so I don't want to just go with the cheapest thing I can find since this may have to last a while.

There was a nice deal at Fry's with an LG 42" LCD for $450 that is 120Hz and 1080p but they're sold out in Indy with no rainchecks. I'd have done that in a heartbeat.

Right now, I'm seeing the Samsung PN42C450 for $450-$500 just about everywhere this week but I'm still slightly leary about plasma and maybe I shouldn't be. The power consumption and a likely no longer valid fear of burn-in still remains in my mind but I might be wrong. Also, it's 720p, but I'm not sure that matters for my current purposes but if I can get something that's 1080p and is better for the future, then I'd much rather do that.

It seems to me that I like a lot of features about plasma (picture quality, lower price, seems like a better image when I put them side-by-side) but I'm pretty worried about longevity, power consumption, and future utility (problems if I wanted to make this a gaming tv or hook up a computer.

Anyone with some new advice I can incorporate or some great deals at the moment? Aside from the two listed above, I don't see anything going on this week and I can wait- it doesn't have to be immediate. But I'd like to keep doing my homework and, of course, I'd like to be watching a new tv sooner rather than later

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #160
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Not real sure on a model recommendation in that price range.
However a few general comments:
1) I wouldn't worry about burn it much at all with current plamas...you would have to try to get any image retention
2)This will probably spark some debate...but in the 42" size unless you are sitting less than 36" from the TV 720 vs. 1080 is a non issue...simple put your eyes are not good enough to see the difference. If you are sitting less than 36" from the TV for extended periods...your eyes certainly will not be good enough very soon to tell the difference...in short 720 is a a deal if it saves you money
3) Longevity....meh you will get tired of it before it burns up.

I am a big plasma fan...however it is a dieing technology I am afraid.
For years we would only install Panasonic or Pioneer plasmas...Honestly between the economy downturn and recent buyer interest in LCD/LED TVs I haven't hung a plasma in probably 3 months. I have had a few recent issues with Panasonic's TVs though...I still have 6 of them in my home and love the brand but they cheaped out last year and I think its biting them in the ass. They are not the screens they used to be but they may still be class leading, especially on the low end of the price range.
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #161
stevew
Hall Of Famer

In Panasonic I would go with the S2 model because of the anti glare coating. It is also 1080p. I think it might bust your budget though.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:56 AM   #162
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Would also be interested in a recommendation for best TV under $500. Would be used predominantly for gaming.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:55 PM   #163
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Here's my new set up I'm ordering from Best Buy this week:

Samsung - 46" Class/1080p/120Hz/LED-LCD HDTV (UN46C6900)
Samsung - 2-1/2" Soundbar with Powered Wireless Subwoofer (HW-C450)
Samsung - Internet Connectable/Wi-Fi Built-In Blu-ray Disc Player (BD-C6500)

plus it comes free with:

Samsung - LinkStick Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter
Old 10-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #164
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

So I came into a football betting windfall of $610.

I am looking to get a TV. I have a piece of crap currently, an old box type, under 30". It's decent enough, but clearly TV technology has gone far beyond that.

I am willing to go over the $610 if need be (it would be silly not to be a high quality TV for $700 just because it's a little over $610, of course), but I would prefer to keep to close to or below the $610 figure.

I am not a big TV watcher with respect to shows. My primary use will probably be movies and sports. My understanding is that plasmas are better for this sort of viewing because they handle motion better. Would that make them where I should focus my research?

I don't pay for any HD channels currently, although perhaps I will down the line (I would plan on having this TV for a while), so I don't know what format works best with that, but it's not a primary concern.

Anyone have any recommendations for TVs or what I should be looking for that seem to fit here? I am aiming to go above 40" of course, but I would biew above 50" as unnecessary and not likely in my price range anyway. A 42" or a 46", for instance, is still a very significant upgrade from my current option.

Thanks for any thoughts.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 12:04 PM   #165
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Amazon.com: Panasonic TC-P42S2 42-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV: Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more

I have the previous version of this one, and am pretty fond.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:47 PM   #166
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I decided going with a 42" plasma over LCD. I got the Panasonic, but I think you can't really go wrong with any of these three:

Samsung PN42C450 vs. Panasonic TCP42C2 vs. LG 42PJ350 - AVS Forum

Yes, they're cheap, low-end tvs, they're plasmas so you have a little glare issue (tho, frankly, I haven't noticed it at all in my fairly well lit living room- tho I have it fairly close to the ground), and you probably don't want to game on them for the possible burn-in issue.

However, I have been extremely happy with mine. I did run a burn-in DVD for about 100 hours before watching something with lots of static graphics (or a movie with bars on the bottom) and I've never had any burn-in issues.

If you check the ads, you can get one of these for $450 or less on a given week. You can also find the 46" equivalent of those for $600ish. Again, they're lower end, but for just movies or sports, it works great and you get a lot of bang for the buck.

I thought that LCDs cost a little bit more for less of a picture if you're looking at that price range.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 04:47 PM   #167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I gamed at least 7 full days worth of COD MW2 on my panasonic with no issues. Ultimately my issue now is that my couch is 18 to 20 feet from my 42. I need a 60 when I can swing it.
Old 02-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #168
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

42" TV on sale for $339 shipped if anyone's in need.

Slickdeals Amazon.com Deals, Coupons and Promos: 42" iSymphony LC42iF56 1080p LCD HDTV (02/10/11 2:20pm)
Old 02-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #169
rjolley
College Starter

I remember reading through this thread and noticing that some of the guys worked at Best Buy, so I have a question: Did BB stop selling the Samsung PN63C8000YF? The wife and I were targeting that tv as a potential solution for our media room, but I can't find it on the site since last week.

Any insight into why they stopped selling it? The plasmas aren't selling well? There were issues? The tv was rated very well and looked great in store for a decent price for the size, so I'm surprised it's not available anymore.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:56 PM   #170
stevew
Hall Of Famer

End of the model year most likely. I'd hit up AVSforum.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #171
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There should be a D8000 version if they follow the normal release structure.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #172
rjolley
College Starter

stevew: Thanks. Looks like the PN64D8000 is rumored to be on the way...which means the one we're looking at should drop a bit if Best Buy tries to sell it's current stock. Might be able to pick one up for a good price.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #173
stevew
Hall Of Famer

the processing run on a 63" plasma is going to be substantially smaller than a regular sized TV. If you really like that model, you might have a hard time searching it out at this point. I'm guessing they would only be selling a handful of them out of each warehouse. Point being you can't play chicken with the price forever on something that's relatively rare.

Last edited by stevew : 02-24-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:58 PM   #174
rowech
Pro Starter

Anybody recommend a TV with decent sound to put into a room that has a treadmill? Looking for a TV that will have good enough sound that I can hear it. Would like it to be around 26" or so.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:48 PM   #175
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm pretty sure that a 32 is going to be roughly the same price as a 26" these days. LG generally has good sound. Front facing speakers are probably going to be louder than downfiring speakers. That being said you may want to augment with an audio system or a soundbar at some point.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:19 PM   #176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Holy Jesus. This has to be some sort of visual masturbation. 82" 1080p 3D HDTV. Pretty good price too at $1600.

82" Mitsubishi WD-82738 1080p 3D 120Hz DLP HDTV $1600 + Free Shipping - Best Buy Deals, Coupons and Promos
Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #177
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm really interested in their Laservue series but don't know of anywhere that sells it so that I can see it.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #178
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Holy Jesus. This has to be some sort of visual masturbation. 82" 1080p 3D HDTV. Pretty good price too at $1600.

82" Mitsubishi WD-82738 1080p 3D 120Hz DLP HDTV $1600 + Free Shipping - Best Buy Deals, Coupons and Promos

Over under on the lamp...7 months.

Lol just realized I came here looking for advice and feeling a bit out of the loop...thats kinda funny for me.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #179
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
Over under on the lamp...7 months.

Lol just realized I came here looking for advice and feeling a bit out of the loop...thats kinda funny for me.

Yeah, what do you know about home theaters anyway!!!!!!

Old 06-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #180
MJ4H
Coordinator

Any opinions on this TV? Can't find a review. Don't know much about televisions so anything is appreciated.

Newegg.com - iSymphony 37" 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV LC37iF80
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #181
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

just off hand, having no experience with it in the flesh, seems like a tad too much coin for a 37" 60hZ LCD
Old 06-20-2011, 12:14 PM   #182
DanGarion
Coordinator

Got an LG 55LV5500 at Best Buy, came with a free SB316 sound bar (which considering the crappiness of most TV speakers is a major added bonus) and $100 CinemaNow gift card for $1900. Plus 36 months no interest, which wasn't a big selling point but we don't have to worry about dropping 2k and can manage the cost.

It was my wife's suggestion we get a new TV, since she was complaining that our DLP was too dark. I'm like OK!!!

Seems pretty good, has internet and APPs. I'm hoping they get a Pandora App soon. Netflix seems adequate on it, but not the best NF app I've used.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM   #183
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post
just off hand, having no experience with it in the flesh, seems like a tad too much coin for a 37" 60hZ LCD

Really? It seemed like a great price to me. What part of the specs do you think is uninspiring, and where can I get a better TV for that price range?

Thanks.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:02 PM   #184
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Helluva deal on a 32" TV if interested. $199 shipped.

Westinghouse 32"

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 11-04-2011 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #185
MJ4H
Coordinator

42" Sceptre 1080p

42" Sceptre LCD HDTV,1080p 60Hz, X425BV-FHD - Walmart.com

Anything I should be wary of here? There is a 46" version of same TV for $430.

This $360 is more in my comfort zone price range. Is there better out there than this somewhere? I'd love some help. Desperately need a better TV (as some of my recent postings have shown).
Old 12-31-2011, 11:08 AM   #186
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

42" TV

$189 for in-store pickup at Best Buy. Better hurry to get this one. It's still available.

42" LG 42LK450 1080p 60Hz LCD HDTV $189 + Free In-store Pick Up - Best Buy Deals, Coupons and Promos
Old 01-12-2012, 07:36 AM   #187
gstelmack
Pro Starter

So we may be about to finally upgrade our old 200-lb Sony 34" CRT HDTV with something bigger and modern. We're still deciding between 50" and 55", but thanks to the beauty of smartphones we're going to give http://panasonic.net/apps/en/setup_simulator/ a whirl and see if it helps us decide. Pretty sure we're going to end up with a Panasonic Plasma, 55", either GT30 or VT30 depending on what deals I can get on the VT30.

Research seems to indicate that the plasmas run hotter, use more energy, and have more glare problems than LCDs, but the LCDs can have issues with uneven brightness and game input lag (a deal breaker for us), plus there's just a wide variety of quality out there, even within apparently similar models from the same manufacturer. You really have to pay attention to the specific model and the panel in use on it.

It's my understanding that the game input lag issue is fixable with game mode on many LCDs, as that turns off most processing, but that in general the bigger sets still need much of the processing, so once you get over 46" it's hard to find one where even game mode fixes the lag. Does anyone have any experience with that? And apparently the more modern LED sets with "local dimming" can overcome most of the uneven brightness issues. But game input lag will be a dealbreaker for us on any set we buy, so we'll probably end up with the plasma.

It seems like Samsung or Panasonic are the way to go on plasmas. LG is pretty good, but not quite up to the same PQ as those two, but still not a bad option. The difference between Samsung and Panasonic seems to be quality - if you get a good Samsung, it's fine, but Samsung's seem to have a higher initial return rate, where the odds of the initial set having a color issue are higher?

The other negative to a Plasma seems to be a need to do a burn-in run to break it in before calibrating to get the best picture. There are specific slideshows you can download to a USB key and show on the plasma, with specific timing settings for the slideshow. You're supposed to run these for 100 hours, or 4 days? I don't know if I can buy a TV and not actually use it for 4 days. Maybe have to buy it right before going on vacation or something.

I was drooling over the AutoCal feature that's part of the CalMan color calibration software suite. Grab a laptop, install the software, connect it to your network and an HDMI port in the TV, connect the TV to the network, attach your colorimeter, and run it. It can talk to the Panasonic's and some other TVs and auto-calibrate it by adjusting the settings on the TV for you over the network connection, rather than you having to manually make adjustments. I already have a Spyder 3, so I have the hardware, but the software runs about $400 - $500 for all the pieces you need. If only I knew enough people I could charge $50 to calibrate their TV for them...
Old 01-12-2012, 08:19 PM   #188
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I think that your reasoning and assessments are really good. I don't necessarily agree with the last two paragraphs about break in and I probably would not bother to calibrate. The Sharp Quattron's are in that 1400 range for a 60". I'm not sure about the energy differences anymore though. Should be some good deals leading up to the Super Bowl. One thing to consider is that model years are changing out. Might not be able to get the mix of good deal/size/model series on a Panasonic at this point. The good thing these days is that everything you're choosing between is basically going to be awesome.

Last edited by stevew : 01-12-2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #189
rjolley
College Starter

We're going to be looking at projectors for a home theater. Last year, I looked the Epson's and read good reviews, but that was last year. What's good in that area? We're going to project on a 100"-105" screen and have total control of the light. No windows in the room and no light under the door.

We're also going to be looking for speakers. I'm trying to not break the bank with them, but I want excellent sound. Is there a good set out there that won't kill a budget? When I looked last year, I listened to the Definitive Technology speakers at Best Buy and the Polk and PSB (?) speakers at Evolution Home Theater and all sounded great, but were all more than I'd want to spend. We will use the speakers for music, but the main focus will be for the movies.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #190
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I think that your reasoning and assessments are really good. I don't necessarily agree with the last two paragraphs about break in and I probably would not bother to calibrate. The Sharp Quattron's are in that 1400 range for a 60". I'm not sure about the energy differences anymore though. Should be some good deals leading up to the Super Bowl. One thing to consider is that model years are changing out. Might not be able to get the mix of good deal/size/model series on a Panasonic at this point. The good thing these days is that everything you're choosing between is basically going to be awesome.

Yeah, more reading is turning up mixed signals on the whole break-in thing, the only thing it really seems good for aside from setting the panel up for reference-level calibration is helping avoid burn-in, but there is debate on that even.

On calibration, that was just the geek in me talking, I think that whole concept described is a pretty neat tech step forward.

I'm hoping for some combo of Super Bowl deal + closeout on the 2011s, but we'll see what hits.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:17 AM   #191
Doug5984
College Benchwarmer

So I may be in the market for a new TV soon, I'd like something in the 52" range. What's all the 3d stuff about, I mean I don't want to pay extra for it really...but if its about the same price I'll get one with it.

I see Cinema 3d, and I think that's better because it's cheap glasses that don't have to be charged or anything. Am I right in that?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Infinia-55L...zg_bs_172659_6

Or save the few hundred $$$ and get something like this?

Amazon.com: LG 55LK520 55-Inch 1080p 120 Hz LCD HDTV: Electronics

I'm not too picky, I just want a big TV with a good picture. The 42" plasma in my bedroom was like $400 a couple years ago and is perfect for me.

The DLP in the living room is what I'm looking to replace, the picture just isn't that great.
Doug5984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #192
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Yeah, more reading is turning up mixed signals on the whole break-in thing, the only thing it really seems good for aside from setting the panel up for reference-level calibration is helping avoid burn-in, but there is debate on that even.

On calibration, that was just the geek in me talking, I think that whole concept described is a pretty neat tech step forward.

I'm hoping for some combo of Super Bowl deal + closeout on the 2011s, but we'll see what hits.

I got a 50" Samsung Plasma in January 2010 and had the same mixed data to go through regarding burn in and the like. The reality for me is that in the beginning (say, first 6 months), the screen had more image retention (which burn-in is really the permanent type of image retention) in the 1st few months of use than it does now. So people advocating for you to run it 100+ hours to reduce the potential for burn in are basically accelerating your product's age to be as it would be 6 months from now imho. So sure...if you don't use it for any real personal use and just let it run, its naturally going to age the display a bit and lessen IR. But whats the point of that?

All I really did was let it run overnight on some channels that tend to play movies (or at least dont have a static logo the entire time) that I knew would have content playing all night. If you have a CATV co...be careful with the movie channels and such and try to use something that is a basic tier channel (but the HD version) such as a local channel that does not keep a static logo up the whole time (otherwise...you may get the popup overnight asking you to click a button to continue watching).

IR is not that big of a deal but it is more prevalent in the beginning than once it gets some hours logged. I will say that even to this day I can see a little IR if the screen has been locked to something with a static logo (like Cartoon Network when I get home from work) but most Plasmas have a tool to clear IR (or severely degrade it) plus the IR will go away on its own after a short while. Usually relative to how long you had it on...it takes literally many hours for mine to have IR any more (and even then...its very faint) and generally about 10-30 minutes to clear itself.
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #193
SteveMax58
College Starter

stevew...question for you since I think you work with and see a lot of TVs.

Do you see a lot of Mitsubishi DLPs including the LaserVue? I've been researching the 82840 or the LS -A94 (possibly...if prices drop a bit more on them) but I can't find anybody with those models in a store within 200 or so miles.

Seems everybody is convinced that rear projection sets are outdated technology and that there is no market for them. I guess I understand that thinking in terms of widespread appeal but I think there is a market for them especially in the larger room category.

Any thoughts on them if you are familiar? Or anybody else for that matter?
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:33 PM   #194
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Didn't see any of the LaserVue TV's, I don't really live in a big enough area to have a Magnolia Best Buy. Back in the day, the Mitsu DLP's were pretty awesome, with some concerns on bulb life. I haven't sold TV's in awhile, though, and it's been way longer than that since I sold Mitsu stuff. I think that DLP is pretty much been rendered obsolete by LCD/Plasma now. You can get a perfectly fine LG 55" for like a grand now, and maybe even a touch cheaper Vizio.

I do like the Cinema now 3d tech, from what I see/understand about it. I can't geek over $150 a pair glasses, but the non active ones are dirt cheap. I was looking at a 699 Vizio 42" 3D the other day, and it was pretty sweet for the price/features.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:36 PM   #195
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post

If you like the calibration stuff, I seem to remember the LG plasmas had some really nice features. It would be the Infinia series.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #196
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

When we bought our TV a few years back we went plasma, mainly due to the motion blur issue with LCD. I'm fairly susceptible to noticing it, and I couldn't watch sports on the LCD sets. I like the plasma, but my wife doesn't like the glare issues due to lights or windows.

My sister bought a 240 hz LCD at Christmas time, and I have to admit I really enjoyed watching sports on it. I had no trouble at all with the motion blur that I'm used to with LCD. The problem came with regular TV content. Everything on normal TV looked like it was filmed with a hand held camera. At first I thought this might be a problem with it also being a 3d TV, but now I've done some research and find that it is due to the increased hz. My take is that essentially the manufacturers are "filling in" the frames in between those that are actually included in the content. They are using algorithms to fabricate in between images, and the result is an ultra smooth picture that we aren't used to. The solution I've most seen, is to turn off the increased Hz setting for non sports content. I just don't find this a sustainable solution for the LCD market.

I also understand that a few years back manufacturers were taking a better approach to the motion blur issue, where the "extra" frames inserted for the 120 hz sets were black or just dimmer versions of the previous frame. These apparently completely solved the motion blur issue, but appeared to be "dimmer" when side by side another LCD set. So these just didn't sell. Too bad as far as I'm concerned. I can't warm up to buying a TV, whose best feature I need to turn off in order to watch Bones.

P.S. As a note for motion blur and the difference between LCD and Plasma, I learned that while a plasma is only running at 60hz, the fact that it goes "black" between frames eliminates any issue with blur. Where as frames on an LCD persist until they are replaced. It all makes more sense now.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 01-13-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:29 AM   #197
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

A few thoughts from me:
I am a plasma fan boi....they just work for my eye and viewing style.
That said: Burn in is a non issue for modern plasmas. Calibration...if you are coming from a CRT now, dont waster the time/money. Finally in my experience there are only 2 manufacturers that actually make a decent plasma set and both start with the letter "P"
Old 01-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #198
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm kicking around getting an LED projector. Does anyone have one? I see several different 720P models. For now, I would primarily use this to watch movies in my basement(once I finish it). Thinking of getting a like an 80" screen on legs that i can move out of the way when not in use. I can make it completely dark, so i can probably get away with not a ton of lumens.

Last edited by stevew : 01-26-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:20 PM   #199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

dola, this is the one I was kind of looking at

Amazon.com: Vivitek Qumi Q2 300 Lumen WXGA HDMI 3D-Ready Pocket DLP Projector (Black): Electronics
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #200
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
On an 80 inch screen, you'll really spot the difference between 720p and 1080p. My cousin just built out a media room, and his installer brought over a few models to show as a comparison. The 720p projectors got eliminated fairly quickly.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote