Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #351
PadresFan104
High School Varsity

Just discovered Memoir '44. (Online) Have a hard enough time getting the family to play Settlers and Carcassonne, so I doubt the game will ever see my tabletop.

What a great game though, just loving it on the computer...
PadresFan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:27 PM   #352
Barkeep49
Coordinator

Introduced Settlers of Catan to a group of 4 7th grade girls today. They loved it. Exciting to spread out awesome board games to others.
Barkeep49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #353
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Just got my new version of Conquest of the Empire in today. My 5th graders are excited about busting it open for our post ISTEP party this Friday.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM   #354
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Now that I'm post Disney World, I'm considering my wife's prohibition on boardgame purchases to have expired. She reads here as often as I do, so I'm pretty much posting this at my own risk.

I just placed an order for Wiz War, a reprint of a classic game from the 80s. This game was Richard Garfield's inspiration for Magic the Gathering. The theme is a set of wizards fighting to the death to become the new arch mage. There are schools of magic, spells, and counter spells. Not to mention instant, often gratifying, death. An Ameritrash classic.

After that I've got my sights set on Macao. A few year's old Euro with action points, card drafting, and dice. DICE!?

Last edited by Glengoyne : 03-06-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #355
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
Now that I'm post Disney World, I'm considering my wife's prohibition on boardgame purchases to have expired. She reads here as often as I do, so I'm pretty much posting this at my own risk.

I just placed an order for Wiz War, a reprint of a classic game from the 80s. This game was Richard Garfield's inspiration for Magic the Gathering. The theme is a set of wizards fighting to the death to become the new arch mage. There are schools of magic, spells, and counter spells. Not to mention instant, often gratifying, death. An Ameritrash classic.

After that I've got my sights set on Macao. A few year's old Euro with action points, card drafting, and dice. DICE!?

I would suggest you try before you buy Macao. It was very much a flavor of the week game in my group. We played it 3-4 times, and it has not hit the table since.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #356
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
I would suggest you try before you buy Macao. It was very much a flavor of the week game in my group. We played it 3-4 times, and it has not hit the table since.

I don't think I know anybody with a copy. I might try the trade market on BGG. You wouldn't happen to have a spare would you?

As far as appeal, it just seems like a fit for me. I'm a big Puerto Rico fan. The game my friends and I play most and seem to enjoy the most is Le Havre. My take on Macao is that it will be significantly lighter than Le Havre, and still bring some interesting mechanics into play. I'm also a big fan of Homesteaders, probably moreso than the rest of my regular gaming friends. Games with economic engines ring our bell so to speak.

Last edited by Glengoyne : 03-06-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #357
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So I took advantage of the Codito sale on the iOS app store the other day, and picked up Tigris & Euphrates and Tikal. I haven't had much of a shot with T&E, but I'm really enjoying Tikal (though I wish the AI was a bit stronger, I wipe the walls with all of them). My question is for anyone who has the actual game: how does it play on a tabletop? It seems like it would get rather confusing/complicated keeping track of 16 different expedition members, 10 AP per turn, the value of each temple, 24 different treasures, etc.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:07 PM   #358
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
So I took advantage of the Codito sale on the iOS app store the other day, and picked up Tigris & Euphrates and Tikal. I haven't had much of a shot with T&E, but I'm really enjoying Tikal (though I wish the AI was a bit stronger, I wipe the walls with all of them). My question is for anyone who has the actual game: how does it play on a tabletop? It seems like it would get rather confusing/complicated keeping track of 16 different expedition members, 10 AP per turn, the value of each temple, 24 different treasures, etc.

Its not that bad. I almost won my first game of it against a guy who was prepping to play it in the WBC (lost because he was coaching another person who locked me out of a 9 temple which I would have taken on my turn). I prefer Torres though as my AP game of choice.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #359
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glengoyne View Post
I don't think I know anybody with a copy. I might try the trade market on BGG. You wouldn't happen to have a spare would you?

As far as appeal, it just seems like a fit for me. I'm a big Puerto Rico fan. The game my friends and I play most and seem to enjoy the most is Le Havre. My take on Macao is that it will be significantly lighter than Le Havre, and still bring some interesting mechanics into play. I'm also a big fan of Homesteaders, probably moreso than the rest of my regular gaming friends. Games with economic engines ring our bell so to speak.

I don't have a spare, I played it and took it off my wishlist. Its not to say that you won't like it, but there was a tight mechanic with the cards and dice, but parts of the board felt tacked on.

If you are looking for an economic game, I would look at Genoa, for trading, or 1830 if you want a stock game. 1830 is a bit long, but it is completely worth it.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #360
Danny
Head Coach

Macao is a very good game and works well with 2 players which is a bonus for me. Only downside is I would refrain from playing with AP prone players. Based on my experience, you really can't go wrong with Stefan Feld of the past few years.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM   #361
gi
College Prospect

Love Wiz War...
gi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #362
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctus View Post
I am 6 games into a Risk Legacy Campaign. It really is a fantastic game. I would highly recommend it. I don't want to go into too many details since the game is pretty much one big spoiler.

There are four of us that have played every game. Our fifth spot has been split between three different players.

I haven't seen anyone else mention this, but it also has one of the cleanest set of rules that I've ever seen in a board game.
A couple of weeks ago I got Risk Legacy as a birthday gift. I felt like a ten year old. Now I'm in the process of finding the right people to play with, from the sound of things it's best enjoyed when playing most or all 15 initial games.
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #363
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Its not that bad. I almost won my first game of it against a guy who was prepping to play it in the WBC (lost because he was coaching another person who locked me out of a 9 temple which I would have taken on my turn). I prefer Torres though as my AP game of choice.

Thanks, I'll have to check out Torres.

Anyone here played Ventura? Tanga sent me an email today offering me $40 off, and I'm intrigued. Fantasy Flight (Arkham Horror) guys publish it, and it's set in renessaince Italy. The game seems to be a combination of army building, conquest and wealth management. At its full price of $80, I'd probably never pick it up, but at $40, I'm intrigued. There don't seem to be many reviews online due to the high price point, but it's rated pretty high on Board Game Geek.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #364
Autumn
Head Coach

Anybody who loved the Zork-type games, or likes a good party/group game, will probably love this. (CrimsonFox, I'm thinking particularly of you). It's a face to face Zork game, where one person takes the role of the computer parser and the rest try to navigate the adventure!

http://memento-mori.com/online-store...action-castle/
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #365
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I followed links and there are PDF versions of Action Castle I & II for $1.99 each. Even buying them from the official store they are $5 +s/h.

RPGNow.com - The leading source for indie RPGs
Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #366
Autumn
Head Coach

Awesome find, Matthean, thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #367
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I picked up the Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game core set a week ago, pretty much strictly for solo play. I've played 15 times since, and I absolutely love it. I'm still using the pre-built decks against the beginner scenario, but I can't wait to start making my own decks and trying the harder scenarios as well as a bunch of custom scenarios that I've found over on BoardGameGeek. I can easily see myself getting sucked into buying some Adventure Packs down the road.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #368
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Macao is a very good game and works well with 2 players which is a bonus for me. Only downside is I would refrain from playing with AP prone players. Based on my experience, you really can't go wrong with Stefan Feld of the past few years.

Just noting that your comments and a few others have me looking at Notre Dame as well.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:44 PM   #369
Autumn
Head Coach

I love Notre Dame, I'm dying for my friend to bring it back over for another go.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:35 AM   #370
Mota
College Benchwarmer

I just bought Strat-o-Matic Baseball and Hockey this week, look forward to getting them shortly. My son has been loving hockey so wanted this game, and the baseball version is my guilty pleasure.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:37 AM   #371
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I'm dying for my friend to bend over for another go.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:25 AM   #372
Autumn
Head Coach

You had me freaked out there for a second. "Oh my God, how out of it was I when I wrote that post!"
Old 03-23-2012, 08:37 AM   #373
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I think the level of geekdom just broke records. Felicia Day makes a Youtube channel for shows and one of them is Wil Wheaton hosting a show about board games.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #374
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I gotta make sure to catch the game he has with Day9, that will be a hoot.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #375
Lonnie
High School Varsity

Yeah I went ahead and subscribed to Tabletop. Looks like it could be good.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:47 PM   #376
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Bought Dominion and read through the instructions. Seems easy enough but I'll have to do some play throughs. It works for a "civilized game" to play with friends.

Ordered King of Tokyo. Fills the requirement for "blows crap up game." I wanted it in time to play with a friend who is coming up this week but Amazon list it as roughly a 3 week wait.

Ordered Dungeon Crawler since it's made to be played solo and multiplayer and offers expansion for more variety.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 PM   #377
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Finally picked up Elder Sign this weekend. I had not purchased yet just because I love Arkham Horror, but wanted something a little quicker. Recommend for those interested in Arkham Horror, but might be a little put off by the rules length and/or time investment. (Hey.. only 8 pages)
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:18 PM   #378
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post
Finally picked up Elder Sign this weekend. I had not purchased yet just because I love Arkham Horror, but wanted something a little quicker. Recommend for those interested in Arkham Horror, but might be a little put off by the rules length and/or time investment. (Hey.. only 8 pages)

I actually preordered this, but after reading the rules and user comments, I just wasn't particularly interested in playing it. The theme is cool, but I much much prefer coop games which are challenging and hard to win and have some good strategy to them. Elder sign seems too long for what it is and way too easy. I just traded it away for Jambo and its two expansions.

Last edited by Danny : 04-01-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:25 PM   #379
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Just got Dungeon Petz yesterday, looking forward to receiving the new Cosmic Encounter expansion, Space Empires: 4x, and For Sale on Tuesday.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:31 PM   #380
Danny
Head Coach

A new game with a good bit of strategy, but simple mechanics if Lords of Waterdeep. It has a DnD theme, but euro style gameplay. It works very well with 2 and 4 players (I'm sure 3 as well). I played it yesterday with two people who had never played a strategy game before and they both really enjoyed it and caught on quickly. Yet it still has a good amount of depth overall.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #381
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I picked up Power Grid last week, and have played a couple of 2 person games with it. I really enjoy the mechanics and am very interested to try it with more than two people. With only two players, it seems a bit too easy to manage resources and keep all of your cities powered at all times. I'd imagine even with only one more player it would be MUCH tighter, and at 4 it would be a pain in the ass to get things done. Which I'm really looking forward to
Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #382
DanGarion
Coordinator

1st Episode of Tabletop is out!
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 AM   #383
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
I picked up Power Grid last week, and have played a couple of 2 person games with it. I really enjoy the mechanics and am very interested to try it with more than two people. With only two players, it seems a bit too easy to manage resources and keep all of your cities powered at all times. I'd imagine even with only one more player it would be MUCH tighter, and at 4 it would be a pain in the ass to get things done. Which I'm really looking forward to

Extremely good game. Scales very well up to 5 players. 6 Players can be brutal depending upon the map.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:44 AM   #384
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Extremely good game. Scales very well up to 5 players. 6 Players can be brutal depending upon the map.

Tried it with three players tonight. I am really, really enjoying the game. It feels like resources are not quite scarce enough in smaller games (picking up oil and coal for $1 and $2 late in the game tonight felt almost unfair)...then again, I've only played it three times, so we'll have to see if that trend persists.

Edit to add:

We used the US map, with the Southeast, Deep South and Southwest regions available. For our initial city placement, I went with the Southeast, one opponent took Houston, and another Los Angeles. It seems like there's an absolutely brutal penalty for being on the wrong side of the map - expanding past the Rockies is ridiculously expensive.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 04-03-2012 at 01:48 AM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #385
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Yay, unloaded several games this weekend and RPG books and in return got a copy of Castle Ravenloft. Nice. I think I'll make a Dynasty for it. Maybe I'll try and figure out how to make it an interactive one as well. (a la Abe's Heroquest)
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #386
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
Yay, unloaded several games this weekend and RPG books and in return got a copy of Castle Ravenloft. Nice. I think I'll make a Dynasty for it. Maybe I'll try and figure out how to make it an interactive one as well. (a la Abe's Heroquest)

Awesome, I'll read it if you make a dynasty!
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #387
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGarion View Post
1st Episode of Tabletop is out!

I really wanted to like this show. I really wish I could do more tabletop gaming...alas, nobody around here (IRL) wants to play. They're too cool for it or something. I think the show would've been more interesting if I knew the game or cared about the hosts. Alas, I've never heard of the game and I just don't understand the nerdgasms over Wil Wheaton, Grant Imahara, and whoever the other 2 people were.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:32 PM   #388
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
I really wanted to like this show. I really wish I could do more tabletop gaming...alas, nobody around here (IRL) wants to play. They're too cool for it or something. I think the show would've been more interesting if I knew the game or cared about the hosts. Alas, I've never heard of the game and I just don't understand the nerdgasms over Wil Wheaton, Grant Imahara, and whoever the other 2 people were.

/tk

Well Wil is the host, the rest of the people will change every episode. It's his show. Other than that they will have a different game each episode. I actually liked it quite a bit and was introduced to a game I didn't really know much about, that I'm now highly interested in.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #389
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

/tk

It was four people getting together playing a game and having a blast. I got to see a game played that I didn't know about, and it looks like fun. I don't really care who the other people are or how much geek factor Wil has.
Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #390
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Tried it with three players tonight. I am really, really enjoying the game. It feels like resources are not quite scarce enough in smaller games (picking up oil and coal for $1 and $2 late in the game tonight felt almost unfair)...then again, I've only played it three times, so we'll have to see if that trend persists.

Edit to add:

We used the US map, with the Southeast, Deep South and Southwest regions available. For our initial city placement, I went with the Southeast, one opponent took Houston, and another Los Angeles. It seems like there's an absolutely brutal penalty for being on the wrong side of the map - expanding past the Rockies is ridiculously expensive.

Picking regions and starting point is really vital, yeah. The game changes the more you play it and get to know the map. Same with the resources. People will start buying plants differently and suddenly resource use will change.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #391
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
It was four people getting together playing a game and having a blast. I got to see a game played that I didn't know about, and it looks like fun. I don't really care who the other people are or how much geek factor Wil has.

Different strokes. A lot of inside baseball talk and I found it boring to keep up with a game I had no prior knowledge of. I also hate talk radio.

Maybe if I'd heard of the game, knew SOMETHING about it. Or had any remote chance of being able to play it. But neither exist.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #392
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

Edit to add:

Also, you do not have to start in the region you put into play. Just a heads up.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #393
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
?...

Maybe if I'd heard of the game, knew SOMETHING about it. Or had any remote chance of being able to play it. But neither exist.

/tk

But there is an app for the game. Don't you have all the apps?
Old 04-03-2012, 09:51 PM   #394
Danny
Head Coach

I enjoyed the show as well, but I am boardgamegeek, so that makes sense. If only there was a site for people like me
Old 04-03-2012, 10:39 PM   #395
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Different strokes. A lot of inside baseball talk and I found it boring to keep up with a game I had no prior knowledge of. I also hate talk radio.

/tk

Start your own group.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:18 AM   #396
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I enjoyed the show as well, but I am boardgamegeek, so that makes sense. If only there was a site for people like me

I'm not a board game geek at all but I love Day[9] and Grant from mythbusters, I enjoyed it immensely
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 AM   #397
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I had no idea who Day[9] was until I watched that. He's freaking hilarious. Was a pretty good sport while he was getting his ass kicked early on too

That was an enjoyable watch, looking forward to future episodes.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #398
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
I had no idea who Day[9] was until I watched that. He's freaking hilarious. Was a pretty good sport while he was getting his ass kicked early on too

That was an enjoyable watch, looking forward to future episodes.

I watched mostly for Day[9] being in it, I loved him going from playing the guy who was being beat up all game to winning.

He's a great StarCraft 2 caster.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #399
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Bought Dominion and read through the instructions. Seems easy enough but I'll have to do some play throughs. It works for a "civilized game" to play with friends.

Ordered King of Tokyo. Fills the requirement for "blows crap up game." I wanted it in time to play with a friend who is coming up this week but Amazon list it as roughly a 3 week wait.

Ordered Dungeon Crawler since it's made to be played solo and multiplayer and offers expansion for more variety.

I'm interested in the dungeon crawler. Let me know how it plays.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #400
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
I watched mostly for Day[9] being in it, I loved him going from playing the guy who was being beat up all game to winning.

He's a great StarCraft 2 caster.

I know guys that don't play SC2 that watch the Day[9] daily just for him. I'll say this, the guy knows his stuff.