Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Werewolf Games
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #951
Autumn
Head Coach

I certainly didn't consider conversions at any point when I was playing. With even teams and no real seers that feels a bit heavy for either side to deal with.

I'm a bit surprised that you didn't allow powers like "find out who is on my side", but you did allow a duke+resurrection? Swaying the teams by 2 people seems just as powerful as finding out what the teams are.

And why did some people get a scan once a day power and some got a scan twice a day? Was it just based on how they worded their request.

I obviously whiffed on my Cube use. I figured there must be, or would eventually be seer types, but once we got a couple days in it was clear there wasn't going to be anything like that going on really.

I have to think Kubik winning was a given. By the time he got into the game the numbers were going to be low, but with all the powers he had, he would easily overpower the others.

This was fun, and I definitely like the idea of no set powers to begin the game. Not knowing our teams made choosing powers really difficult, but I suppose it got easier as the game went along. I liked not having allegiance revealed necessarily, leaving some wiggle room, as well as the no-reveal policy.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 PM   #952
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn View Post
I certainly didn't consider conversions at any point when I was playing. With even teams and no real seers that feels a bit heavy for either side to deal with.

I'm a bit surprised that you didn't allow powers like "find out who is on my side", but you did allow a duke+resurrection? Swaying the teams by 2 people seems just as powerful as finding out what the teams are.

And why did some people get a scan once a day power and some got a scan twice a day? Was it just based on how they worded their request.

I obviously whiffed on my Cube use. I figured there must be, or would eventually be seer types, but once we got a couple days in it was clear there wasn't going to be anything like that going on really.

I have to think Kubik winning was a given. By the time he got into the game the numbers were going to be low, but with all the powers he had, he would easily overpower the others.

This was fun, and I definitely like the idea of no set powers to begin the game. Not knowing our teams made choosing powers really difficult, but I suppose it got easier as the game went along. I liked not having allegiance revealed necessarily, leaving some wiggle room, as well as the no-reveal policy.

As for why on how often people got scans, yes it was because that was how they worded their request.

I can def see your side on not allowing to find out all players on their side vs duke&resurrection, I just thought that it would be way too strong cconsidering everyone could pick their power.

I had decided that if i would allow conversion early in the game (which I would have) then I would have to allow it late game as well.

I honestly thought good had it in the bag and that Kubik was never going to be born. Once he was I thought it was going to be challenging but not impossible, I figured after the 1st NK he'd be the target (he was) but he got Bug to switch
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #953
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

also,i viewed duke&resurrection as same as conversion. one side losing a player, the other side gaining a player. In ntn's case it just wasn't the same person that was going bad to good, it was different people
Old 09-02-2011, 08:59 PM   #954
Autumn
Head Coach

That's true, about conversion vs. resurrection. I also want to say the most fun I've had in a while in WW was day one when I started with the Cube, trying to figure out what to do with limitless power. I had a long list of ideas, trying to think outside of the box, but make it something plausible. At that point I didn't really suspect everyone in the game would get a whack at it, so I was thinking bigger than I probably should have. But that was a lot of fun.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #955
bhlloy
Coordinator

Funny thing was I had a NK order on Magneto (not knowing it was CR) the day he got killed but I guess other people got to it first. I wondered why I still had the cube after that and there was no flash. I guess I should have read more into it.

Out of interest Chubby, would I have been allowed to kill a character not knowing who he was? Or would I have had to identify CR first?
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #956
Danny
Head Coach

I completely whiffed on my cube use. I got the ability to block night kills and identify my attacker. Had no use for me
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 PM   #957
Zinto
College Starter

Alright time to ytell everyone what was going through my mind. I would have definitly voted for Bug tomorrow if it got down to me narcizo and him since clearly I was m ore suspicious of narcizo then anyone else so it wouldnt make sense to reconvert him. Also the end of the sndvls where bug refused to consider anyone else but him made me suspicious.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 PM   #958
Zinto
College Starter

I killed Telle since I feared that hoops would be randomly protected. Also I debated on holding on to the cube till the end of the game but I got another PM about the cube being "anxious" so I decided to use it since I did not want to be killed.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #959
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby View Post
Yes. Tho he was only able to use it if that player was alive at the time of his birth.

fixed
CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 PM   #960
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I noticed you a lot in the thread but figured you were just bored!

That's cause I was.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #961
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinto View Post
Alright time to ytell everyone what was going through my mind. I would have definitly voted for Bug tomorrow if it got down to me narcizo and him since clearly I was m ore suspicious of narcizo then anyone else so it wouldnt make sense to reconvert him. Also the end of the sndvls where bug refused to consider anyone else but him made me suspicious.

Other than being drunk?

I want to play a game called "Drunk Zinto"
Old 09-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #962
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
I asked him before the game started if he wanted to be the secret character. I was going to try and grab somebody last second but figured he would be a good choice with delaying his own game. I had asked him to post about not being able to play at the beginning so it'd be a surprise

Note to self. When someone asks you to play a hidden secret character that doesn't enter the game right away, say no. But at that point I kind of had to do it since I KNEW it was a secret character in the game.
Old 09-03-2011, 04:05 AM   #963
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonFox View Post
*cough* you guys used the cube to kill people?!?!? No wonder there was no one left by the time I entered! THAT'S what you meant Chubby. I get it.

When I used it it looked like the bad guys had a slight but significant advantage. I didn't want to suffer the same fate as Chief so it seemed like the best use was to get rid of another good character to give evil more of a lead. Once we were down in a hole I wanted the cube to try and convert mau - I even advised him to kill Autumn rather than Heinz to try and get the cube afterwards and to make Danny's vote invalid.

Took the kill on Magneto because, like I said, I couldn't be sure of his allegiance (given my own character and allegiance) so it was a simple minor victory to take. A benefit was that mau tipped me off that he was good when discussing whether to kill him. I used that to survive the vote between Jackal and me.

Interesting game as a one-off. I didn't like how the rules made discussion a bad play and it was difficult to decide where to draw the line on picking a power but still.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:11 AM   #964
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I definitely thought I"d had it when you (Narcizo) and Bug revealed about the conversion. I thought secrecy was my best ally. All this revealing and that revealing. That always makes things tough. Cause I figured everyone had their doubts about you. But with Bug converting you to good, that was two people who knew it and with Zinto not moving... oi. THe only thing I suppose it was the fact that I was obviously neutral or at least that was an easy enough point to push on you guys.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:18 AM   #965
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I was on the good side! Good game.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #966
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Funny thing was I had a NK order on Magneto (not knowing it was CR) the day he got killed but I guess other people got to it first. I wondered why I still had the cube after that and there was no flash. I guess I should have read more into it.

Out of interest Chubby, would I have been allowed to kill a character not knowing who he was? Or would I have had to identify CR first?

You would have had to have names a player i.e. Chief Rum and not a character since you didn't "know" who Magneto was.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:58 AM   #967
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

yeah i didn't intend for the rules to encourage not a lot of discussion, that's totally my fault
Old 09-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #968
hoopsguy
General Manager

Quote:
also,i viewed duke&resurrection as same as conversion. one side losing a player, the other side gaining a player. In ntn's case it just wasn't the same person that was going bad to good, it was different people

How is that remotely the case? The duking saves a good guy and kills a bad guy, while the resurrection brings back a cleared good guy.

I had hoped the explanation was going to be something along the lines of two separate Cube uses, which you merged into one write-up to build drama. But having that as a single Cube use is just so broken compared to everything else on the list.

I'm very, very disappointed that you allowed that as a single use, as it massively swung the game at that point.
- If I was duked, evil still had a 1:1 trade (my kill via Cube being the one for our side).
- If there was a resurrection, it was a 2:1 trade (my kill + lynch, versus known good being restored). Which seems fair because both sides used the Cube to get something, and evil had controlled the vote that day.
- But the way it went, both sides used the Cube to get something, evil controlled the vote, but had to deal with essentially a 1:1 trade and now deal with a cleared player being brought back after a day where they controlled the vote. Broken.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:38 PM   #969
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
How is that remotely the case? The duking saves a good guy and kills a bad guy, while the resurrection brings back a cleared good guy.

I had hoped the explanation was going to be something along the lines of two separate Cube uses, which you merged into one write-up to build drama. But having that as a single Cube use is just so broken compared to everything else on the list.

I'm very, very disappointed that you allowed that as a single use, as it massively swung the game at that point.
- If I was duked, evil still had a 1:1 trade (my kill via Cube being the one for our side).
- If there was a resurrection, it was a 2:1 trade (my kill + lynch, versus known good being restored). Which seems fair because both sides used the Cube to get something, and evil had controlled the vote that day.
- But the way it went, both sides used the Cube to get something, evil controlled the vote, but had to deal with essentially a 1:1 trade and now deal with a cleared player being brought back after a day where they controlled the vote. Broken.

totally agree with this...it turned the game and made me have to use a night kill on Danny with the cube to eliminate a know good side player. Also still don't understand the mixup with my scans...my 1st was during a night phase, but then I couldn't get scans until day phases and only if I got them in before the lynch....something was screwy there for sure.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #970
Danny
Head Coach

I agree with Hoops and Sndvls.

Overall, I appreciate and commend Chubby for what he tried to do with the game. I think it's better to try something unique and not necessarily succeed as much as you would like then not try at all. That said, I think the game was a big ball of randomness that turned into who happened to get the cube and kill / convert the other team the fastest. The game had too much hidden information and was set up to limit player discussion. I was the first one to come out with my side and that got me killed asap, but honestly at that point I was pretty bored with the game and wanted to do something.

Additionally, I think the determining factor for who won was completely random and luck driven. No offense to Crimson, but he really didn't do anything to deserve the win. Having him able to convert Iron Man completely undid the entirety of the game as there is no way for player's to know or really have any idea that happened beyond a complete guess.

But even if he hadn't done that and the good guys won, it would have been because of the big ball of randomness slightly favoring the good guys, not us doing anything to deserve the win.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:38 PM   #971
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Sorry, I tried
Old 09-03-2011, 02:40 PM   #972
Danny
Head Coach

Chubby, I think the game had a lot of interesting mechanics and I'm not sure how I could of done it better. I think there just needed to be a way to bring out more discussion and perhaps limit the power of the cube abilities a little.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #973
Danny
Head Coach

I didn't mean to sound too harsh if I did. Games with unique mechanics like this are incredibly difficult to get just right on the first try.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:57 PM   #974
The Jackal
Coordinator

Was a very interesting experiment Chubby. I'm the first to admit I really had no idea how to approach things. Hopefully it's given you some ideas in case you want to run a similar ruleset in the future.
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #975
The Jackal
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I didn't mean to sound too harsh if I did. Games with unique mechanics like this are incredibly difficult to get just right on the first try.

Yeah .. I remember in Labyrinth when I let the three velociraptors PM with each other, completely disregarding the fact that they'd just reveal in the thread and create an instant COT. Stuff happens!
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #976
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sorry, I tried

I don't these are personal attacks, just constructive criticism....we all learn in these games as both players and GMs. Some things work some don't. Even things that do work you are going to have people who don't like the mechanic of it. No biggie just our thoughts is all.

Thanks for GMing my 1st game back in like a year it was fun.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 04:58 PM   #977
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Really liked seeing you play again Sndvls. Haven't played with you before. Well I didn't really this time but you know what I mean.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:08 AM   #978
hoopsguy
General Manager

Internet problems at hotel - meant to post this right after #968.

Anyway, vent aside I really didn't have a good feeling of how to play this game. No powers, no idea who teammates were, and operating under the assumption that most/all were under the same constraints. The strategy for the game did evolve eventually, but it sure felt purposeless early on in the game.

I'm a big fan of doing non-conventional games - I just didn't feel like I knew how to play this one for the majority of the time I was in it.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #979
Danny
Head Coach

I think an interesting way to perhaps allow more information would have been to have 16 unique powers that the cube could be used for and when someone gets the cube they choose from an available power. After they choose, can can get passed and that power is no longer available.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:17 PM   #980
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

It was kind of two different games in one. There was the main game and then after I came in it was a different game. That is somewhat interesting because I think the idea indeed was once Kubik comes in, do the heroes and villains band together or continue their battle? But I think it would have been beter if kubik entered earlier. Aside from me being bored for over a week (which I expected) I think that dynamic would have played out better if there were a different mechanic for kubik entering. LIke maybe after the 3rd day he enters with whatever powers he has absorbed up to then (so it's still a mystery for him what he will get). I do like the msytery aspect of it though and I must say it was the most lively day 1-2 I've ever seen. People seemed to be enjoying themselves with it.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #981
Danny
Head Coach

Kubic should have entered sooner, but there also needed to be more information revealed about him. How was anyone supposed to have idea that he could convert Bug?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #982
Danny
Head Coach

Crimson, are you ready to run your game or should we go to next on the list?
Old 09-04-2011, 01:25 PM   #983
MrBug708
Head Coach

I liked the fact that you were on one side or another and being bad wasn't really a negative thing, just that you wanted your side to win. You could have called it blue v red and it would have had the same affect.

I did like Danny's idea of 16 powers and once it's take, it's not usable.
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #984
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Quote:
Kubic should have entered sooner, but there also needed to be more information revealed about him. How was anyone supposed to have idea that he could convert Bug?

Well I don't know. I had ZERO information about what you guys could do or when you did it so I think that bit was fair.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #985
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I only could convert bug because HE took a convert power. That's how it worked. I started with a night kill period. And I gained things when you gained things. But When I was born I only got to keep the things of the people that were still alive.
So the convert and NK were really all i had apart from one dayscan.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #986
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Well I don't know. I had ZERO information about what you guys could do or when you did it so I think that bit was fair.

I'm not saying it's unfair to the players or to you, but that the mechanic could have worked better.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:29 PM   #987
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
I liked the fact that you were on one side or another and being bad wasn't really a negative thing, just that you wanted your side to win. You could have called it blue v red and it would have had the same affect.

I did like Danny's idea of 16 powers and once it's take, it's not usable.

Indeed. The whole even sidea DID make it a different game. LIke the powers idea except that the people choosing first will know what powers are out there if given a list so it would have to be random distribution to keep it fair.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #988
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
I only could convert bug because HE took a convert power. That's how it worked. I started with a night kill period. And I gained things when you gained things. But When I was born I only got to keep the things of the people that were still alive.
So the convert and NK were really all i had apart from one dayscan.

Yeah, I am not saying it was unbalanced, but no one had any idea of anything. There needed to be more info available to everyone.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #989
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

Yup I'm ready to run something. Will post a signup tonight.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #990
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Indeed. The whole even sidea DID make it a different game. LIke the powers idea except that the people choosing first will know what powers are out there if given a list so it would have to be random distribution to keep it fair.

I agree here, I liked the idea of two equal sides.

The GM could always reveal what power was taken (just of course not who has it).
Old 09-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #991
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Actually they already KNEW there was a conversion. Zinto was absolutely right. He knew one of 3 things happened. That Bug was converted, Narc was REconverted, or Narc was NEVER converted. And they knew about Bug's conversion. Narc and BUg confessed about the conversion. I'm surprised they didn't make the connection that the conversion came from ME. Perhaps Zinto realized that but Bug didn't. I actually assumed Bug knew everything about what happened to him and who converted him but he did not. And mauboy....yes he guessed correctly that bad things would come from me for the good side and taking me out was a good idea. I knew he would take me out or at least lead the charge...ergo I got rid of him instead of ZInto.

I do agree about more info in some cases at least in PM. I understand the need to keep things a surprise for sure. Cause perhaps no one knew what was going on at any point. But that did seem to be the reason people had fun with it. More of a challenge to figure out.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 AM   #992
Autumn
Head Coach

I wonder what would have happened if everybody had just tried revealing their allegiance, either day one or day two (especially if the lynch had been an obvious one). I figured it would turn into a mess with people pretending to be one side or another, probably mostly good since people still were averse to side with evil. But it would have been interesting.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:43 PM   #993
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

oh yeah. I never understood the QUIcksilver/Scalet WItch thing with killing CHief RUm. What was the minor victory of that? They had PM rights and all they had to do was agree to kill a third character? That's a slam dunk when given to Narcizo. well, anybody really.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #994
Narcizo
Pro Rookie

I think I was supposed to worry about whether it was worth endangering the major victory for a minor victory. At the time though I wasn't even certain that Magneto would be bad and I didn't really want to give it away to mau that I was evil so it didn't really work out. Would have been more interesting later on in the game.
Narcizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 02:07 PM   #995
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

I imagine that conversation went something like this

Old 09-20-2011, 11:10 PM   #996
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

As a note, this game was actually WW CXXXVII, not WW CXXVII